RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

The truth about the t maxx.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 04:18 PM
old skool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The truth about the t maxx.

Originally posted by ugapug
My .02? Having run the r/c department at my LHS, I can tell you that the main problem I had was with failure to RTFM. I can't tell you how many times a T-Maxx (or any RTR) would come back non-functional because the owner couldn't follow instructions.
THANK YOU!!!

I have helped several people at the track when thry complain about their Maxx 'stalling out/not running" whatever. First thing is to check the carb settings. Invariably the needles are whacked...reset to 4 turns out on the high, 3 out on the low, and go from there.

Trouble is, these days, people are just too impatient to follow specific instructions...
Old 07-26-2003, 04:23 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Funny.. how wrong can you go?
What direction are you talking about?

Granted I do of course look at the directions when I assemble a kit, but why would anyone need directions to operate an RTR?

Ram
Old 07-26-2003, 05:25 PM
tjmaxx

If it is your first rc than of course you are goig to look at the directions. I have three rc's and I have looked at all the directions that came with them. It tells you what way they suggest to break in the engine.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:38 AM
rockinwy

Owning a savage and bashing it hard along side a TMaxx 2.5 the savage is hands down a better truck. The tmaxx is fragile compared to my savage My friend and I run in an old sand pit lots of large hills and big jumps, I can run all day landing and missing jumps all in excess of 6 feet and not break anything other than the body. His tmaxx cant run for more than 5 minutes with out breaking or stalling he has broken control arms, shocks, the engine mount and lots of spur gears because the bolts wont stay tight. Reverse doesnt work right anymore and he has put in two diffs now and several drivelines, all within a couple of gallons, granted we run hard and crash hard. all I have broken is stock wheels, stock dogbones and the engine heatsink( landed upside down on pavement from over 7 feet). almost two gallons still stock engine (runs reliably) original spur gear ,diffs and never touched the tranny. the only real weak points on the savage are the stock dog bones and wheels. Stock engine wont pull wheelies all the time but will shift into second within 10 feet and get top speed in 30 or so when tuned right.

Whats a tmaxx got that the savage doesnt, top speed and price. The savage cost more if you get electric start and reverse. I do like the tmaxx starting system but not the engine or suspension system.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:40 AM
sprtman400

I have been out of RC for 5 years but now am wanting to get a truck for just messin around with. I have researched this forum about the T-Maxx and the Savage. One thing I don't see any of these Savage owners talking about in THIS topic is the Savage leaning out at 1/2 tank and the wheels stripping out. Is this really a problem? I read about these problems in another topic on this forum. Is the radio gear that comes with the savage a good unit?

BTW, I have run nitro trucks before so I'm not really new to it.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:22 PM
rockinwy

My wheels stripped, the RPM wheels I replaced them with have not. I still have the factory tank and it does lean out. It seems to be exaggerated by some, tune the engine properly at 1/2 tank and it runs great, a little rich when full but not bad at all really, the only reason I would do the 2nd tank mod is to keep the engine running when it flips over. Kill the engine when everything is hot and expect some cool down time, the aluminum carb sucks up alot of heat and boils the fuel when too hot. I still have fewer problems and spend less money on parts than the tmaxx owners I know.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:46 PM
Avalanche

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by sprtman400
I have been out of RC for 5 years but now am wanting to get a truck for just messin around with. I have researched this forum about the T-Maxx and the Savage. One thing I don't see any of these Savage owners talking about in THIS topic is the Savage leaning out at 1/2 tank and the wheels stripping out. Is this really a problem? I read about these problems in another topic on this forum. Is the radio gear that comes with the savage a good unit?

BTW, I have run nitro trucks before so I'm not really new to it.
I've had my Savage for a year and have never seen the 1/2 tank problem. I personally think its due to people not waiting until the truck is completely warmed up before trying to tune it. If you tune it before it warms up, when it finally does get up to temp, it is going to be very lean. The stock wheels are very soft and the stripping problem is very real. I upgraded to MAxximizer beadlocks, they dont stip but have problems of their own.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:14 PM
sprtman400

Thanks for replys evryone. One more question.... Does the stock steering servo have enough torque to turn wheels side to side while truck is still?
Old 08-01-2003, 09:24 PM
T-Maxx_CA

The stock servo is very weak. I have had my truck for less than three weeks and already blew the servo. You are better off upgrading to a nice high torque servo. I upgraded to a cirrus and it works great for me. The best thing is it was ony about 30 bucks.