RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Official HPI MT2 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 08:45 AM
mt2nitronut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official HPI MT2 Thread

kuhndog599:

Who told you you broke it in wrong? LHS? Some other RC Guy?

I personally have done everything wrong and are not suppose to do with a Nitro Engine and have never had a problem - I have broken in HPI, Traxxas and OS and have never had a problem with them. The correct heat cycle break-in in my opinion is to preserve the "Pinch" as long as possible. The "Pinch is the slight tapering in at the top of the compression stroke that gives you that tight feel in your engine. Remember - no rings in these babies to help with compression. If you do not properly break in an engine this can be compromised - but only after you have run a couple of gallons through it - Not one Tank.

The settings out of the box might not always be right.

Read the break in page in the manual - set the carb back to stock settings and retune.

1) Make sure that all the fuel tube is good. Check both fuel and pressure side. Inspect it well
2) Make sure the fuel tank is sealing correctly.
3) Put in a new glow plug. I use an OS 8. It is a good middle heat glowplug.

If you put it back to stock settings - you should get alot of smoke - I mean Alot!! They make them super rich. If it won't run or keep an idle - turn the idle screw in slightly to raise the rpms. Now keep tuning. It should run fine if there is only one tank through it.

For my OS - I put the engine in - fired it up - let it get to temp - then just held the trottle down. I figure if it is going to hold together for that - it should be a good engine.

I have now had that engine in for almost 2 years, with little if no loss of performance.

Lastly, quit listening to whoever told you that or get a new friend who knows how to properly tune and engine.

These pics show the 3 different engines I have had in my MT2.

Attachments
Click for fullsize
Click for fullsize
Click for fullsize
Click for fullsize

Gran
grantourismo
ORIGINAL: Butts

I just got an 18SS kit for Christmas, and I remember reading somewhere in this thread about the recommended break in procedure. Can somebody please point me to it? I tried searching for it, but the search here is rather bad for actual replies.

Thanks. Also what plugs do you recommend?

Matt
Old 01-04-2006, 09:20 AM
GottaMX

I checked and the spring is there. The motor is chewed up inside though. That black sleeve in the bottom of the piston rod busted and left metal flakes in my motor. One of them punched a hole in the crankcase. Glad it is only a little over a week old, HPI can't argue with the warranty.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:34 PM
bigbodychevy

narly what do you need to know about the alum plate. Its self explanatory, ask a more specific question Ill try to help heres pics untill then.

only pics I have of that rebuild(the one the upper tray was added in).

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82751.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	381055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55411.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	381056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34684.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	381057   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80154.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	381058  
Old 01-04-2006, 05:58 PM
mt2nitronut

i dont think those packs will i think those are mainly if you have the upper deck instead of stock.the flat one might fit transmitter .
ORIGINAL: redfox03

i meant amondotech.com hmm, must've been sleepy when i copy and pasted that. anywho, that site has the hump packs for 7.50. while on the subject of hump packs, will they fit in the reciever box, or should i get a flat pack?

http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?...S&Category=302 thats the battery pack im looking at. will it fit in the radio tray?
Old 01-04-2006, 06:00 PM
mt2nitronut

awesome now thats where i want to be,awesome hop up,how long did it take to get there.
ORIGINAL: bigbodychevy

narly what do you need to know about the alum plate. Its self explanatory, ask a more specific question Ill try to help heres pics untill then.

only pics I have of that rebuild(the one the upper tray was added in).

Old 01-04-2006, 08:33 PM
kuhndog599

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my mt has some problems. its set on rich. whenever i break the dang thing shuts off. i've kinda messed with the idle screw but cant find a setting that works. it also overheats really easily. i dont know why. it takes about 30 minutes before i can get it to start back up. there is always blue exaust coming out. whats the problem?
Old 01-04-2006, 09:09 PM
bigbodychevy

The mods where purchased in 3 phases do a search for my fade to silver project. third phase is not done all that alum is not cheap. I still need both diff houses and the spur gear housing in alum. Finding them hard to find in silver. All the alum cam from asiatees. with the alum thats on the truck, the os and the titanium tierods the total is alittle over 350 for the medal hop ups. Hump pack, radio and a better servo tack another 300ish. SX3, HS545, 6volt hump, jumper switch. The rest of the allum to finish should be around 110-120ish.

Thats my pride and joy, and I still drive it like its stolen, A stolen TANK that is lol!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66882.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	381187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52478.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	381188  
Old 01-04-2006, 09:14 PM
bigbodychevy

kuhndog your set to rich (blue smoke)
also the cutting off when breaks applied most likely means your throttle trim is not set properly. Tank the fuel filter off with the truck not running look down the carb neck, apply the break if the whole closes there is your answer. if it closes to smaller then 1.5-2mm that is also your problem your choking her to death.

Do a search for tuning an engine for a better explanation but the jift of the story is lean the HSN 1/8th of a turn at a time till she is to lean at wot then go rich 1/8th of a turn. Then do the same to the LSN. Then double check idle.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:05 AM
redfox03

just wondering, how did you guys break in your engines? did anyone use the heat cycle style break in( i think thats what its called) or go by the mt2 instruction manual break in?
Old 01-05-2006, 05:06 PM
kuhndog599

my trim is set up high enough that when i start it it takes off. it still cuts off when i break

also the cutting off when breaks applied most likely means your throttle trim is not set properly. Tank the fuel filter off with the truck not running look down the carb neck, apply the break if the whole closes there is your answer. if it closes to smaller then 1.5-2mm that is also your problem your choking her to death.

Do a search for tuning an engine for a better explanation but the jift of the story is lean the HSN 1/8th of a turn at a time till she is to lean at wot then go rich 1/8th of a turn. Then do the same to the LSN. Then double check idle.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:12 PM
mt2nitronut

hey kuhnedog all i can suggest is that you unscrew survoe arm pull trigger so it is at full throttle then put servoe throttle arm on throttle arm rescrew then release trigger so it goes back.
ORIGINAL: kuhndog599

my trim is set up high enough that when i start it it takes off. it still cuts off when i break

Old 01-05-2006, 05:22 PM
kuhndog599

thanks. and also i heard that mt parts are getting harder to find. should i buy aluminum shock towers and a arms for about 15 bucks for a shock tower and the same for 2 a arms off ebay for the future?
ORIGINAL: mt2nitronut

hey kuhnedog all i can suggest is that you unscrew survoe arm pull trigger so it is at full throttle then put servoe throttle arm on throttle arm rescrew then release trigger so it goes back.

Old 01-05-2006, 05:39 PM
mt2nitronut

sure i would,i,m trying to registure but it keeps giving me error messages.

thanks. and also i heard that mt parts are getting harder to find. should i buy aluminum shock towers and a arms for about 15 bucks for a shock tower and the same for 2 a arms off ebay for the future?

Old 01-05-2006, 05:41 PM
mt2nitronut

oryou could checkout asiatees for aluminum might becheaper there

sure i would,i,m trying to registure but it keeps giving me error messages.

Old 01-05-2006, 05:46 PM
mt2nitronut

is any one over 34 here ,or are there alot of young rcers here
Old 01-05-2006, 07:41 PM
kuhndog599

i'm 15. i've been working on that servo and the trim trying to find a spot but i cant get it to break right. gosh.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:51 PM
mt2nitronut

you say it stalls motor right did you try loosening the black knob at the end of the break arm,maybe it is to far in are you using tubing at the end and there should be a space in between break arm and break stop(actual break arm_)ihad that same problem but i got it figured out ,it gets frustrating sometimes but take a breather and try it again hope you get it .

i'm 15. i've been working on that servo and the trim trying to find a spot but i cant get it to break right. gosh.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:28 PM
bigbodychevy

kuhn you didnt tell us if you looked down the carb neck and adjusted the trim correctly.

Narly you still need help with the tray?

MT2 im 28
Old 01-05-2006, 08:32 PM
kuhndog599

i took the air filter off and had the needle set at 2mm. it wont start when its that low though. heck i dont know whats going on.

kuhn you didnt tell us if you looked down the carb neck and adjusted the trim correctly.

MT2 im 28
Old 01-05-2006, 08:34 PM
mt2nitronut

hey kuhndog did you check out that link on break in,that how i did my break in,trukc running awesome but only time will tell ,upgrading to a os 18 next might gowith the tz not sure yet crv first choice tho

i took the air filter off and had the needle set at 2mm. it wont start when its that low though. heck i dont know whats going on.

MT2 im 28
Old 01-05-2006, 08:36 PM
bigbodychevy

there is no needle that should be set to 2mm, the carb hole should be that large when the throttle arm is at rest and at full brake. You set all of this by making sure the throttle servo is set to 0. turn off the RX and TX remove the throttle horn and reset it with out turning the gears in the servo. Turn the electrics back on to make sure the gap in the carb is still right at rest and at full brake.

Once the carb is set right reset all the needles to factory and retune.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:39 PM
kuhndog599

i ment the hole when you can look through where the air filter goes. i heard that thats what it should be set at. i wont be able to do anymore until tomorrow. i'll try it when its at full brake tomorrow
Old 01-05-2006, 08:42 PM
bigbodychevy

you can set throttle linkage and carb distance inside at night. You dont need to start the truck up to do so, just have to be able to turn the electronics on.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:43 PM
kuhndog599

i'm doing my homework inbetween posts. lol. oh yeah just letting you guys know ( i was thinking about it) but on ebay there is a bunch of aluminum stuff in one auction. its like the chassis, a arms, diff case. and a lot of other stuff. its like 90 bucks. type this in the search hpi nitro mt mt2 project lots of aluminum alloy
Old 01-05-2006, 09:57 PM
whirlydick

What kind of bodies are you guys using on your MT2s??? Im getting bored with the rtr body of my truck and was thinking of getting a new shell... show me your pics of unique shells!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.