Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Official HPI MT2 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 03:22 PM
nitro-rob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official HPI MT2 Thread

I drove for an hour and a half today in a park. It was good driving, there was a huge steep hill. It was pretty rough driving and the truck went through it pretty well except I started to hear the front differential skipping a little when I accelerated hard to the right. I will take it apart and check the shim. I also had a little trouble keeping the tune - it would sometimes run lean and bog at high RPM and the temps would run high (~260) but only occasionally and would suddenly run too cold because I richened it up (~180). I ended up running it pretty rich to get it to run well at the end of the run, two turns richer than flush on the hsn. Sounds like an air leak. I will take the carb apart tonight. It ran pretty hard throughout the day.

I was going to take the carb off, seal the air filter side and the connection to the carb with my fingers, put soapy water on it and blow through the fuel intake line. Sound good?
Old 03-28-2009, 05:42 PM
eminentguitar

I just got back from a 3 hour bash good times except my almost brand new spectrum radio got smashed up real good when my buddy hit it with hit revo going just about full speed. So if any of you guys ever upgrade your dx3.0 to something better I would really like to get another one. lol
Old 03-28-2009, 10:08 PM
nitro-rob

I fixed my differentials tonight, they were a shim loose. They are snug now. There was no observable chipping or wear on them.

I also found a leaky spot on the carburetor. Its underneath the dust cover where the throttle servo connects - I can wiggle it about half a milimetre and when I blow on the sealed carburetor it bubbles on the barrel. I don't know immediately how to fix it but will play with it a little. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 03-28-2009, 10:54 PM
nitro-rob

I just checked my other two G3's and they have the same small leak there so I don't think that is the problem. There was some junk on the carburetor body where it goes into the engine - hopefully that was the culprit. When the engine was running lean I had to put the high speed needle almost two turns out from flush which is ridiculous.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:00 PM
KeithjV

Rob you can try some green slime or some petroleum jelly on it.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:39 PM
nitro-rob

I was thinking of that but wonder if the movement would wear it off easily. I put a carb from a brand new engine on it and will try that first and if it runs well like i expect I will switch the original carb back on it. I am starting to think the debris did it. It was strange how the engine would go lean and run hot and I would have to richen it up like hell, and then a few minutes later it would run so rich that the temps would go really low. It went either way and not between.

I guess tomorrows drive will tell.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:51 AM
hghflyrjd1

I have the 18 ss version mt2. I seem to be haveing a diff issue. If I keep the rear wheels down on the ground and turn the front two wheels I hear the rear diff skiping. So I open the rear diff. And noticed the FINNAL gear that sits in the diff case has frayed teath. Why or how does this happen? And what can I do to stop it. The gear is on that rod and it doesn't have any movement so its not moveing away from the main diff gear. Could it be I nead more grease or a heavyer grease. Whaat do u think
Old 03-29-2009, 12:03 PM
nitro-rob

Based on what you wrote, I can not tell if you have play between the spider gears and the bevel gear inside the differential case or not. I found a small amount of play between mine last night and installed a shim and washer around the bevel gear shaft and the diff has no play now - check back one or two pages (or go through this thread, its been covered almost every 10 pages) and see a link on this.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:48 PM
eminentguitar

Is there any body out there with a dx3.0 they dont need anymore?????? A broken one????? anything? I have no radio now because I gave my extra one away when I bought the spectrum........ and of course its getting nice enought to bash every day. All the electronics are in good shape on my radio I just need some plastic parts to fix it lol I emailed horison just to see if there's anything they can do for me.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Switch_639

I need a 2speed conversion or something? can i get?
Old 03-29-2009, 04:05 PM
hghflyrjd1

I took apart the rear diff and sew that the bevel gear OUTSIDE the diff cup.(Part# 86336) the small one that spins on the larger gear that's on the diff it self. It has frayed edges and looks a lot more messed up then the front one. So I'm assumeing this is the issue cause the diff gears inside function fine. So my question is. Does anyone have an extra one of these. Or a link to just the small bevel gear
Old 03-29-2009, 04:22 PM
hghflyrjd1

I took apart the rear diff and sew that the bevel gear OUTSIDE the diff cup.(Part# 86336) the small one that spins on the larger gear that's on the diff it self. It has frayed edges and looks a lot more messed up then the front one. So I'm assumeing this is the issue cause the diff gears inside function fine. So my question is. Does anyone have an extra one of these. Or a link to just the small bevel gear
Old 03-29-2009, 04:29 PM
hghflyrjd1

Old 03-29-2009, 09:13 PM
KeithjV

hghflyrjd1 were you doing donuts or 180's? They wreak havoc on the diffs. The most common cause of diff problems is too much play in the main and pinion gear. You need to make sure the diff is shimmed properly. You dont want the mesh too tight either though.

eminent I dont have any spare sprektrum parts but I think I have a used ACE AM Tx/Rx
Old 03-29-2009, 09:32 PM
nitro-rob

I figured out my tuning problems - me. I have been running in outside temperatures much lower than I am used to and had to run at a much higher level of rich than I am used to. I did seal the carb with vaseline, though. Not a bad weekend for me - about two hours of driving and not all of it is in front of my house on the street.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:31 PM
eminentguitar

ORIGINAL: KeithjV

eminent I dont have any spare sprektrum parts but I think I have a used ACE AM Tx/Rx
My friend lent me an old school futaba magnum radio for now I just really want to get the spectrum going again because its a pain having 2 rc's with only 1 old school radio. But thanks for the offer man
Old 03-30-2009, 05:54 PM
SAVAGEBANE

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEBANE

how would an O.S. cv-rx .18 do in a single speed MT2? would it be able to use all the rpm in a single speed.
any problems to sort out on a cv-rx when its fresh out the box, does anything need to be tweaked?
someone must have upgraded their single speed MT2 to a cv-rx. its the most popular engine upgrade for this truck. I just need to know if it is practical to have a powerfull engine like that geared to a single speed trans. is it going to be able to use what the engine is putting out. thats all i wanna know?
Old 03-30-2009, 07:15 PM
nitro-rob

This has been covered many times in the forum, even a few times the past forty or so pages. I don't remember the details but have read it.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:27 PM
eminentguitar

how would an O.S. cv-rx .18 do in a single speed MT2? would it be able to use all the rpm in a single speed.
any problems to sort out on a cv-rx when its fresh out the box, does anything need to be tweaked?
someone must have upgraded their single speed MT2 to a cv-rx. its the most popular engine upgrade for this truck. I just need to know if it is practical to have a powerfull engine like that geared to a single speed trans. is it going to be able to use what the engine is putting out. thats all i wanna know?
unless your running onroad only a 2 speed will be your diffs worst enemy man. The truck is light so you dont need really low gearing to make it pull hard and your still going to get a killer top speed.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:18 PM
eminentguitar

Well what happened with my radio is we were all bashing at the same time (3 of us) and mine ran out of gas so I just set my radio beside the revo and started recording the other guys bashing. Then steve (revo) was not really watching what he was doind and smoked my radio lol. The strange theing is that my radio only moved about 3 or 4 feet but it was still enough force to smash it up a bit. The radio looked way worse after it happened I already kinda jimmy rigged it together a bit just so more parts dont fall out. But here it is along with some other pics oh and thats my mt2 with revo wheels lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34067.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	1169466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11317.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1169467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43212.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	1169468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96172.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1169469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs96883.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1169470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pf60173.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1169471  
Old 03-30-2009, 10:06 PM
KeithjV

Wow, did he break the A-arm from hitting the controller? I see a part hanging down.
I bet horizon will be able to do something for you. Their customer service is pretty good.
And where is the video of the bashing????
Old 03-30-2009, 10:13 PM
jatoguy1

that looks like a driveshaft
Old 03-30-2009, 10:15 PM
KeithjV

Ahh yes. I think you're right. I dont have much experience with traxxas trucks.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:03 AM
eminentguitar

I emailed them and they told me to send it in and they will do what they can to fix it up the pic with the busted axle is my revo from last fall. Im putting the videos on youtube right now
Old 03-31-2009, 12:20 AM
eminentguitar

Here are the vids this is the one that my radio got hit in. I think its about 37 seconds ish where it happened. It barely moved.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep2WwcrSu5g

and here are some other vids from the same day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6RoUIW1n1w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2tm2k8Kor8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOU2DKmsW-U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR-9pKxronQ

Here is the sh18 in my friends tsunami that I ported and polished. Not once was it taken over 3/4 throttle in this vid. Its an insane little engine were running 14/52 gearing and hitting speeds of what I think are over 50 mph.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI1lhVTREw4

Here is a drag race between the os 18tm revo and the "no name" sh18 tsunami.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jXaDotRUik

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.