Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Futaba 18MZ Snap Condition Selection

Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Futaba 18MZ Snap Condition Selection

Old 06-16-2014, 04:41 AM
Malcolm H

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Futaba 18MZ Snap Condition Selection

Just wondered how people set up their snap conditions?

I want to initiate a snap condition when rudder, elevator and aileron sticks are all at a preset deflection (probably 95%) and that this should only happen in my "Normal" condition so not to get snap deflections in my "Spin" condition. I can see how to achieve this using multiple logical switch and stick positions to select a new "Snap" condition and then set up the deflections using AFR within that condition but wondered if anyone has achieved the same setup using the "Snap Roll" function? It appears that logical switch selection isn't available within the "Snap Roll" function.

Thanks,
Malcolm
Old 06-16-2014, 08:14 AM
apereira

You are right Malcom, it is not in the Snap Roll Function, I don't even use it for that reason, I use two conditions activated with the sticks, then you just change the priority order so when you go to Spin mode it will not jump into Snap Roll for example.

Regards

Alejandro P.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:52 AM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Malcolm H View Post
Just wondered how people set up their snap conditions?

I want to initiate a snap condition when rudder, elevator and aileron sticks are all at a preset deflection (probably 95%) and that this should only happen in my "Normal" condition so not to get snap deflections in my "Spin" condition. I can see how to achieve this using multiple logical switch and stick positions to select a new "Snap" condition and then set up the deflections using AFR within that condition but wondered if anyone has achieved the same setup using the "Snap Roll" function? It appears that logical switch selection isn't available within the "Snap Roll" function.

Thanks,
Malcolm
I have my Jeti DS-16 set for inside and outside snaps (two conditions) but I only use aileron and elevator stick positions to trigger them. I find I want to get off rudder early in most snaps and don't want to come out of the snap condition too soon.

Jim O
Old 06-16-2014, 11:32 AM
Malcolm H

Tried it this evening and it's easy to set up one or more conditions using 2 or 3 stick positions and a switch position to set the condition. I found it easier to use my "Normal" condition switch along with the stick positions rather than mucking about with the condition priority list to make sure "snap" is not activated in another condition.

Malcolm
Old 06-16-2014, 11:35 AM
apereira

Cool.

Alejandro P.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:42 PM
OhD

Tried it this evening and it's easy to set up one or more conditions using 2 or 3 stick positions and a switch position to set the condition. I found it easier to use my "Normal" condition switch along with the stick positions rather than mucking about with the condition priority list to make sure "snap" is not activated in another condition.

Malcolm
Right! No snap switch position required. Just the sticks. If you then have a Spin condition it overrides it. I do have a Spin switch and then my transmitter repeats every 10 seconds, "Spin Switch On". I added the audio after I flew an almost full flight before I figured out I had the spin switch on.

Jim O
Old 06-16-2014, 04:42 PM
OhD

Malcolm
Right! No snap switch position required. Just the sticks. If you then have a Spin condition it overrides it. I do have a Spin switch and then my transmitter repeats every 10 seconds, "Spin Switch On". I added the audio after I flew an almost full flight before I figured out I had the spin switch on.

Jim O
Old 06-16-2014, 06:37 PM
Dave Harmon

Malcolm...I use the regular snap roll function on the spring loaded switch to get the deflections in the ballpark while test flying the maneuver.
Then, I use a digital inclinometer to measure the surfaces, then set up the stick logic and adjust the AFR when the condition(s) are active.
After that I go back to the snap screen and set the master switch to off.
I like to leave the set values in the snap screen in case I need to go back to the switch for some reason.
Caution...be sure to set the master sw to off because with the logic condition activated.....the snap switch can overdrive the servos and perhaps damage something.

Jim....I too have flown flights on the wrong condition....I'll see if I can figger a way to add an audio alert to the spin switch.

Dave
Old 06-16-2014, 11:52 PM
Malcolm H

Dave that is exactly what I did. Set up the snap switch to the recommended deflections for the model (Suzuki Hybird) flew with the switch and confirmed throws and now have set up the snap condition AFRs to same percentages as the snap program settings. Haven't measured the actual deflections yet but according to the servo monitor screen actuating the snap condition using the sticks gives the same deflection as the snap program off the switch.

Interestingly if you don't disarm the snap switch and actuate it and the sticks at the same time, the deflections appear additive and could potentially overdrive the servo (or your linkages if you have set a maximum deflection on the travel screen).

Malcolm
Old 06-17-2014, 04:25 AM
apereira

One thing I always do, if I move the sticks to their maximum position and the holding them there while I actuate every switch on the radio, just to check I have nothing crossing between condition to say it that way, and at the same time check the screen for the conditions names so the correct ones are been actuated and the overriding conditions are the correct ones, I use a lot of conditions and to check the logic and sequence is a must, all this to reduce the workload during flying at the end.

Everyday I love my 18MZ more, and it is amazing how much the software and radios have evolved, to the point where people can pretty much do the same in two different ways or even more, this being one of the cases, I do things differently than you guys mentioned, but at the end it works exactly the same, I find that very interesting.

Regards

Alejandro P.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:06 AM
Malcolm H

Yes Alejandro,

With radios of this sophistication there are many ways to accomplish the same thing. Coming from many years in JR land it's taking me a while to get familiar with Futaba speak but I'm getting there. To be honest I still don't think the 18MZ sticks have the JR quality feel and the wobbly side closures are a pain but it is a very useable radio.

Malcolm
Old 06-17-2014, 07:59 AM
Dave Harmon

Dave that is exactly what I did. Set up the snap switch to the recommended deflections for the model (Suzuki Hybird) flew with the switch and confirmed throws and now have set up the snap condition AFRs to same percentages as the snap program settings. Haven't measured the actual deflections yet but according to the servo monitor screen actuating the snap condition using the sticks gives the same deflection as the snap program off the switch.

Interestingly if you don't disarm the snap switch and actuate it and the sticks at the same time, the deflections appear additive and could potentially overdrive the servo (or your linkages if you have set a maximum deflection on the travel screen).

Malcolm
Malcolm......I never thought to check the snap screen settings to see if they were the same or similar to the AFR settings in the snap conditions.
I just checked on it....and they are different even though I set the snap conditions AFR with a digital inclinometer.
I don't know why the settings are not the same for equal deflections but there it is!

Dave
Old 06-17-2014, 10:00 AM
dwaynenancy
My Feedback: (62)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do I do this with a 14Mz?
Old 06-17-2014, 11:02 AM
Dave Harmon

Originally Posted by dwaynenancy View Post
How do I do this with a 14Mz?
Hi Dwayne......
Check your PM for the time consuming blizzard of detailed messages I sent you at your request on this subject several months ago.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:38 AM
Malcolm H

One advantage of leaving the snap screen settings intact is that you can operate the switch and the stick snap mode sequentially and check your AFR settings match the switch settings without having to re measure.

Malcolm
Old 06-17-2014, 11:44 AM
Dave Harmon

One advantage of leaving the snap screen settings intact is that you can operate the switch and the stick snap mode sequentially and check your AFR settings match the switch settings without having to re measure.

Malcolm
As I mentioned in an earlier post.....my numbers don't match even though the deflection angles are identical......dunno why though.

Dave
Old 06-19-2014, 01:36 PM
dwaynenancy
My Feedback: (62)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David, I'm lost in the blizzard and don't know where the blizzard came from.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:44 PM
Dave Harmon

Originally Posted by dwaynenancy View Post
David, I'm lost in the blizzard and don't know where the blizzard came from.
Hi Dwayne.....yes, I know.
Ask Bax, check the FAQ's...or re-read the PM's I sent you.