Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

YAMADA YS240 CDI twin

Old 06-17-2021, 02:57 AM
David Bathe

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FBW View Post
YEP....Just like watching Electric F1........
I would rather paint the wall and watch it dry...........
Thats brilliant FBW, I know the feeling and its a perfect example of the problem:
You take something that already exists and just about reached it's pinnacle, then you take out a critical component and replace it with something that looks identical, does the same thing and yet the result is completely different.
Having driven electric cars for the past 5 years, I can categorically state that the only thing they have in common with an IC car... is the word car.
F1e on an F1 track (an arena basically unchanged for 100 years of car racing)... it's crazy.
The F1e track of the future will be more akin to something between a Scalextric and a Hotwheels track: Banks, twists, corkscrews... inverted sections. Things that can't be imagined in this interim, cross over period.
This is what happening with the F3P/F3A and the current situation. The machines (and the pilots) are far more capable than what the current arena can offer, leaving them handicapped, held back, capable of everything todays F3A can throw at them... plus SO much more.
I'd guess the worlds best pilots are the ones yawning.

Bjr', so slow the spectators start forgetting which manoeuvre they're watching. Great point.
I'd more concerned with my brain forgetting which manoeuvre I'm trying to fly!
LOL Getting older sure sucks.

Last edited by David Bathe; 06-17-2021 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-18-2021, 02:20 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A few more words about boring the spectators, especially the casual ones: the distance we fly it is an additional detriment to spectator interest; masters and F3a sequences have so many elements in each maneuver that the casual spectator is pretty clueless about what they are watching. Personal experience has demonstrated that the casual spectator will ‘oooh and aaah’ for a 40% Extra getting thrown around (lower, closer, much noisier) and completely ignore precision aerobatics being flown in the background (and at 150m we are pretty far in the background), but when the Extra lands I can fly a nice 4 or 8 point roll down the runway for a smattering of applause :-)
My daughter has become an enthusiastic NASCAR fan, thanks to her boyfriend, but she loves the ‘ambiance’, especially the noise and the smell and, of course, the speed.
Pattern has lost the ‘wow’ factor at least as far as spectator appeal goes...
Old 06-18-2021, 04:35 PM
Freddy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it freaking has too many stupid weird elements that do not look good. Yes they are hard to do and even harder to judge. Let’s go back to more of the beautiful figures smooth and graceful. The P and n FAI is generally good for that.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:51 PM
FBW

YEP....Just like watching Electric F1........
I would rather paint the wall and watch it dry...........
I think with all these Gismos available today like T-Can,Modern radios Contras, Electric motors with speed controlers......etc etc...we are actually loosing the abilitiy to fly the airframes without their help.
I doubt it very much that an Electric/Contra flier can fly an IC powered plane as good.

The irony is that the world Champion flys IC with T-can and thingies.....
Old 06-20-2021, 07:09 PM
Freddy
My Feedback: (3)

Default Contras

I think with all these Gismos available today like T-Can,Modern radios Contras, Electric motors with speed controlers......etc etc...we are actually loosing the abilitiy to fly the airframes without their help.
I doubt it very much that an Electric/Contra flier can fly an IC powered plane as good.

The irony is that the world Champion flys IC with T-can and thingies.....
Contras should not be allowed as they provide a distinct advantage not having to deal with torque and Propeller P factor. At this F3A level such a setup offers a real advantage. Need to be able to stealthy use that rudder and be rewarded!
Old 06-20-2021, 07:24 PM
FBW

Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Contras should not be allowed as they provide a distinct advantage not having to deal with torque and Propeller P factor. At this F3A level such a setup offers a real advantage. Need to be able to stealthy use that rudder and be rewarded!
YEP....Like I mentioned before most of these pilots wouldn't be able to cope without their aids.....
Whats next 3 axis Gyros...???
Old 08-04-2021, 05:40 AM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by David Bathe View Post
Nothing against YS, have a box full in the loft and still have 8 gallons of CP30% rotting in the garden shed.
And yes, they're the pinnacle of F3A IC design, like the absolutely magnificent Mallard with the pinnacle of steam powered locomotives.
But the writing was on the wall years ago and today, the YS brand has been equalled - most would say totally eclipsed - by contemporary brands dedicated to other contemporary F3A power trains.
My point, and it hurts me to say, is it's sad to see a brand that once represented the ultimate power package system, having nothing to offer the market other than small variations of a technology that has gone as far as it can go.
The posts from well meaning loyal supporters saying "if YS could come up with a counter rotating prop system.... they'd be onto a winner"... is a case in point. Hello, it's 2021.
Just to reiterate, this isn't a criticism of people that are still enjoying, competing and winning (big) using YS engines.
Interesting point of view...
"But the writing was on the wall years ago and today, the YS brand has been equalled - most would say totally eclipsed - by contemporary brands dedicated to other contemporary F3A power trains"

If YS is so outdated, has nothing to offer and totally eclipsed by electric, why are electric flyers trying to copy the way a YS flys? And trying to limit the development of YS by approaching the FAI to make rules to do just that? These things are telling a different, real world story.

Very strange that a relic IC engine can evoke so much hate and adverse reactions from those who "apparently" have dedicated contemporary power trains, that are so much better...

As for a YS contra. Why? Contras are overrated and not the answer that they were originally portrayed to be...

The following users liked this post:
apereira (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 08:07 AM
ini

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would anyone need to defend YS? Just pick the power choice that suites you and it is all fine.

There are advantages in electrics but also drawbacks. Same applies to YS.

Last edited by ini; 08-04-2021 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:30 AM
drac1

Originally Posted by ini View Post
Would would anyone need to defend YS? Just pick the power choice that suites you and it is all fine.

There are advantages in electrics but also drawbacks. Same applies to YS.
If only that's how it worked 🤷‍♂️ There are many that seem to be afraid of what YS has to offer, even though they complain about how complicated and unreliable they are 🤦‍♂️
Old 08-04-2021, 08:30 AM
drac1

Double up.

Last edited by drac1; 08-04-2021 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:11 PM
FBW

Originally Posted by drac1 View Post
If only that's how it worked 🤷‍♂️ There are many that seem to be afraid of what YS has to offer, even though they complain about how complicated and unreliable they are 🤦‍♂️
It seems that as you get older .....and I mean this the nicest way you have an affinity towards an electric set up..... more convenient???... more reliable ??? no fuel ........I get that
What I don't get is that these OLD FARTS continuously try to discourage any young newcomers away from IC engines even though these newcomers do actually prefer the IC engine.

IMAC Flying is a lot bigger than pattern and they use IC engines .
Maybe we should start encouraging people to get into the sport with whatever power plant they prefer .......the more people fly Pattern the longer it will last....
Old 08-13-2021, 11:31 PM
FBW

It seems that as you get older .....and I mean this the nicest way you have an affinity towards an electric set up..... more convenient???... more reliable ??? no fuel ........I get that
What I don't get is that these OLD FARTS continuously try to discourage any young newcomers away from IC engines even though these newcomers do actually prefer the IC engine.

IMAC Flying is a lot bigger than pattern and they use IC engines .
Maybe we should start encouraging people to get into the sport with whatever power plant they prefer .......the more people fly Pattern the longer it will last....
Have i SILENCED all the electric guys.......??
Old 08-19-2021, 02:11 AM
apereira

Originally Posted by drac1 View Post
And we know Scott those are the people that either have old engine models or simply talk without knowing anything about it, just talk for talking, because they "think" they know, when actually that is far from the truth....
Old 08-19-2021, 02:39 AM
drac1

Originally Posted by apereira View Post
And we know Scott those are the people that either have old engine models or simply talk without knowing anything about it, just talk for talking, because they "think" they know, when actually that is far from the truth....
Thems the ones 🙄