Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

2M Weight Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 04:22 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2M Weight Question

Just curiosity here - why do current 2M planes weigh significantly more than the previous generation ones? Is it simply the extra fuse volume that is doing it, or are the bigger engines also adding in their share? For instance, a 2M Sequel has 968sq in, 74" span and 77.5" long. Generally similar dimensions to the current 2M planes, except it had a much narrower fuselage and a 120 for power. AUW was around 9.5lb. Currently, it seems that most of the 2M glow powered planes are coming in well over 10lb and they are using fixed gear instead of retracts. What's up?

Mark
Old 07-18-2006, 04:49 PM
UK_Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2M Weight Question

Yep most of the above, 4 strokes a few years back were unhead of and engines used to be 1.20 strokes, now there 1.60 2 and 4 stroke engine. Fuselages have got a lot wider, basically stretching the plane in all directions other than going over the 2 meter limit.

Personally i like the new big wide fuselage style, diddnt like the thin ones now i think both on the ground and in the air most modern patterns look better than the core aerobatic types, Yak, Cap etc etc
Old 07-18-2006, 10:53 PM
dflynt
My Feedback: (48)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the reason is that most builders are not able to control paint weight. The fuses from ZNLine are lighter than the old fiberglass fuses. Lighter absolutely, not just by volume. They are much lighter and stiffer airframes. I have a Supreme that weighs 9.0 pounds. So not all current 2m airplanes are 10 or more pounds. I have a PL Partner that weighs 9.75 pounds, with a DZ. I did not do anything special to keep it light. I made sure that on both models I added less than 4 ounces of paint. And the paint looks good BTW.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:11 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dflynt

I believe the reason is that most builders are not able to control paint weight.
Interesting thought there. Mike Hester's Black Magic's are 9.5lb with paint as well. Perhaps the perception of them being heavier is moreso than the actual problem.

Mark