Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Quantum L

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 05:45 AM
greg_m

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Quantum L

Hi Guys - feedback from the intial flights so far

1) engine is sweet!!! OS 140 Rx rocks

2) slightly tail heavy but the wind has been too strong to get decent trim test flying done - going to move the flight battery forward

3) aileron servos disappointingly slow - brand new hitec digitals - 5625MG - slower and less direct than regular 475BB servos!!! the experienced test pilot also commented that they are moving at unequal speeds. really p'oed as i am on a tight budget and have enjoyed hitec servo's since starting out. - going to save up for some futaba 9252's

4) intial test flights show a very slight tendancy towards the belly during knife edge - not a problem as i don't fly knife edge yet!!! more keen on getting the fundamental trimming sorted. cg, wingtip weight, travel on split elevators etc - oh and the pisspoor hitec aileron servo's.

Plane flew very well given the windy weather test flying. Increased the aileron throws to improve snap roll (slow servo's???)

She finished up at 4750grams all up weight - dry fuel tank.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:10 AM
greg_m

Hi All

Was out of flying aerobatics this past year ... stripped the wings and stabs for recovering and never got round to it = I got bitten by the rotary winged whirlybird = TT Raptor 30. I really enjoyed learning the heli much to the disgust of the regular pattern flyers in my circle of friends

Anyways I have recovered the wings and stabs and have serviced necessary items that get worn/old/ugly looking!!!

Here are a couple of pics of the newly covered wings, stabs, rudder. I kept the colour scheme very simple as this is what works for me up in the sky. I love the fancy covering/colour jobs on some of the planes nowadays but it is totally lost in the sky...

Due to pressure in the pattern circles we are looking to electrify our planes but this is not a serious rush for me... I still love my two-stroke 140 RX and will gladly fly it into the future... Not sure about what electric set-up I am wanting anyways = I dont like complicated so the idea of a gearbox puts me off totally and the extra power and battery required for the outrunners pushes the weight into the red zone.

enough waffle... the pictures I took in my back yard - excuse the grass, been battling with weeds this season[&o]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90739.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	1316370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13575.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	1316371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47659.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	1316372  
Old 11-18-2009, 07:23 PM
Rendegade

Ha! greg that's better than my lawn! Nice looking ship that
Old 11-04-2010, 09:32 AM
greg_m

Unfortunate news - the bird is no more. During a local pattern competition at intermediate level I was attempting the three consecutive rolls. I managed to input up/down elevator inputs at the incorrect times twice (brain fart!) and unfortunately the plane was not at an altitude that allowed for two mistakes consecutively.

Upshot = one totally destroyed Quantum L pattern plane... :-(
Old 11-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Gregg G
My Feedback: (7)

Sorry to hear that Greg, but don't give up!