Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

2008 US Nationals... share your story

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

2008 US Nationals... share your story

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Mrs. Score Keeper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2008 US Nationals

Here is the final standings for Intermediate and Advanced

Mrs. Score Keeper
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68841.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	998829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66907.jpg
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	998830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79304.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	998831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56680.jpg
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	998832  
Old 07-27-2008, 08:44 PM
donramsey

The NATS finals results are now correct on http://pages.suddenlink.net/donramsey/
Old 07-28-2008, 12:34 AM
Potter3

Wow!!! Another team selection over again and what contest it was. I want to thank Dave and his staff for a job well done and to all the judges who provided a high level of quality judging. Congratulation to Jason Shulman, Andrew Jesky and Brett Wickizer!!!!! Outstanding pilots. These pilots prevail against some of the best competition in the world.
Thanks to these pilots support staff too, callers (Dave Stodart, Verne Kostner, Bryan Herbert and their Families).
I want to make a special thanks to our 4th member of the USA Team the defending world Champion Quique Somenzini who made the decision in Jan to not compete for the team.But to go as defending world champion ensuring that another Pilot would be on the team in 09.
Over the years we have very strong teams representing the USA but I believe this will be one of the best. Raiko and I will be working with these 4 pilots on bring home both the World Champion and the Team Championship 09.
Go USA

Al Glenn
Team Manager
Raiko Potter
Asst team Manager
Old 07-28-2008, 10:28 AM
nedim
My Feedback: (1)

Here is a couple of pictures of the new USA Team

Nedim

Name:	Mk25240.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	999425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92099.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	999426  
Old 07-28-2008, 10:40 AM
woodie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, look at all the 'orange'!!!

Woodie
Old 07-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Euardo M. Aviles

Congratulations to the new 2009 F3A USA Team.

Good job.

Best regards

Eduardo Aviles

Ecuador F3A Team manager
Old 07-28-2008, 11:46 AM
getterflash

Yeah, no blue shirts
Old 07-28-2008, 12:17 PM
DaveL322

I flew both motors during the week, but all the competition flights were with the A60-16M (heavier, but ballistic on demand <G>). Ken Velez also flew the A60-16M (1st in Masters, big congrats to Ken!!!).

Bill (10th) and myself (9th) were not in the pic as plaques only went to the top 8 .

To my eye, overall flying quality and competition in both FAI and Masters (I didn't get to see Site 4) was higher than it has been in recent years - congrats to all the winners.

Regards,

Dave

ORIGINAL: can773

Dave - JR, Hacker outrunner not sure which one, he had an A60S in one plane and A60M in the other, CC esc, Thunderpower 5300's, Wistmodel Prestige
Bill - Futaba, YS 170, Naruke Altair

Here is a shot of the finalists in FAI minus Chip and Bill, not sure what happened to them.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Andy P.

And a big thanks to Mrs Score Keeper for taking the time to register on here and post the other results..............surely.

It's often the unsung hero's that hold the threads together at these big events so cheers Mrs! from over the pond.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:27 PM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

ORIGINAL: DaveL322

I flew both motors during the week, but all the competition flights were with the A60-16M (heavier, but ballistic on demand <G>). Ken Velez also flew the A60-16M (1st in Masters, big congrats to Ken!!!).

Bill (10th) and myself (9th) were not in the pic as plaques only went to the top 8 .

To my eye, overall flying quality and competition in both FAI and Masters (I didn't get to see Site 4) was higher than it has been in recent years - congrats to all the winners.

Regards,

Dave
Dave what was the Hacker outrunner that Jerry Budd was using in Masters? Thanks, Mike

ORIGINAL: can773

Dave - JR, Hacker outrunner not sure which one, he had an A60S in one plane and A60M in the other, CC esc, Thunderpower 5300's, Wistmodel Prestige
Bill - Futaba, YS 170, Naruke Altair

Here is a shot of the finalists in FAI minus Chip and Bill, not sure what happened to them.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:28 PM
lsjpeng

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congratulations to North Cal representatives Chri and Jon, you guys did great job!
Hope to see you in Hollister soon!

Luke
Old 07-28-2008, 03:46 PM
DaveL322

Mike,

Jerry was running the A60-24S w/ 20.5x14 APC. To recall he was turning about 5900 RPM at 70 amps - give or take depending on what lipo he was using.

Dave

BTW - great to see you add the NATs to your schedule - hope you can make it again next year.

[quote]ORIGINAL: mups53

Dave what was the Hacker outrunner that Jerry Budd was using in Masters? Thanks, Mike

Old 07-28-2008, 03:54 PM
vbortone
My Feedback: (2)

Does anyone knows what happen with QQ YS-CDI engine?

Vicente "Vince" Bortone
Old 07-30-2008, 03:21 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The NATS this year was probably the best flying I have ever seen. A consistent and high level by all pilots.
As for the YS 170CDI engine I flew it in both of my models last week. My setup varied a little from some guys. I know that some pilots ran 30% nitro and 10% oil most of the week. I ran 30% nitro and 5% oil all week with no issues. That included about 20 practice flights and then 10 contest flights. For me the engine ran flawlessly for the entire week.

This engine setup is still in testing and with testing comes a few bumps in the road. The Ignition engine tends to respond a little differently than the regular glow engines that we are so skilled at tuning. The experience and testing of a system will reveal problems that then get solved.

I know that Yamada is looking very closely at the feedback that the 5 pilots running it at the US Nationals provide and also to the problems that may occur. This is why the system is in testing. That is part of the process. This is a big step forward and the engine runs extremely well.

My setup I ran at the NATS

170DZ-CDI
APC 19-11 Prop and Modified 19-11 ( this prop the 19-11 was built for ignition engines only.)
Cool Power "Custom Blend" 30% nitro 5% synthetic oil
7300rpm

93-94db(A) On each of the sound tests in the finals and during our testing before the NATS it was a little less. I was regularly getting 92-93db(A) on my meter at home and while testing before the contest. During the finals the numbers were a little higher but still legal and within the meters tolerance. I think everybody running the engine was getting right at 94db(A) on the meter in the finals.

This engine acts a little different with this large prop. It never really opens up and spools up, it never sounds like its peaked out. It always sounds like its just limping along especially in the air at partial throttle. The power and performance is amazing. The absolute grunt is more than anything I have every flown. All this and no smoke on the 5% oil.

Congrats to The new USA Team as they flew well. The competition was very tight even in the last few rounds. For me it was good to be back flying on Friday. To make it back to the finals and advance once there was a real thrill. The quality of pilots and level of flying was at the very top levels and I'm honored to be competing on the same level as these guys. Scoring was very tight all week.

Thanks to Dave Guerin and crew for an excellent event. Also I need to thank the folks that helped me. Jenny my wife, Terrance Brown (T-Bone) my caller, Central Hobbies, JR radios, Cool Power, , and of course Richard and crew at YS for making such an amazing engine. Those that saw them were really impressed. I can also say those that flew them are also really impressed and happy with them.

I learned a ton and have work to be ready for next years contest.

Troy Newman
Old 07-31-2008, 07:29 AM
J-P
My Feedback: (1)

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Does anybody can explain me why the Chip's comments about the Team and his experience with his e-engine disappear ?
Old 07-31-2008, 08:04 AM
AmericanSpectre505

Very nice post Troy and well said.

Bill Holsten
Dist#2
Old 07-31-2008, 08:07 AM
David Kyjovsky

ORIGINAL: J-P

Does anybody can explain me why the Chip's comments about the Team and his experience with his e-engine disappear ?
Do you mean this http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7779329/tm.htm A different thread...
Old 07-31-2008, 11:57 PM
pbrantuas
My Feedback: (3)

Try this link: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7779329/tm.htm

Very nice write up by Chip on the Nats.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:07 AM
matchlessaero

Its amazing to me that the Nats has already been over for a week...........

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, this was my first NATS and quite literally a realization of a lifelong dream.

Some thoughts from the event :

Watching FAI was awesome (really inadequate word for what I saw). The flying is so consistent and so impressive. I genuinely believe a comment I heard elsewhere that we could literally field 2 3-man teams at the worlds and still have both teams in the top 3. The amount of talent and dedication to the sport shown by the competitors is amazing.

The competitors and organizers at the event are great people. Everyone was willing to help anyone and everyone. It was not at all unusual to find FAI/Masters pilots over on the Intermediate/Advanced flightline helping out the newer pilots. Feedback and suggestions were everywhere and always offered in a constructive manner. Everyone wants everyone to succeed.

For my own personal experience, I headed up there with a lot of trepidation. My airplane is a totally new design and in many ways a totally new execution of an idea. I had flown the intermediate sequence a total of 6 times with the new design/airplane and it had never been flown in competition. Couple that with the fact that the 08 NATS was my 2nd AMA pattern comp and that resulted in some pretty serious nerves.

Day one was a pleasant surprise for me as I managed to eek out 6th place for the day. The Intermediate flightline was filled with a bunch of excellent pilots who will be winning the next class up in the not too distant future, so I felt very good about my first day.

Day two appeared to be a day of wind. Two things about this really got me- my airplane was not really propped right for the wind, so upwind flight was tortoise like, and while I've flown Indoor pattern for several years, Indoor pattern pilots never have to deal with wind........ That day, I flew horribly and knew as I landed each time how bad my scores would be (and they were... LOL)

Day three was killer!!!! The day started with good wind conditions and I'd managed to push myself into a good frame of mind. Several people including my callers (Al and AC Glenn) had convinced me to get on the power a lot more..... I had initially restricted my throttle ATV to 70% because of reports of people smoking motors with my setup at full throttle. To get the airplane moving along, I opened the ATV all the way up and bent the 'go-stick' on takeoff and basically never let off. I scored the best flights of my entire trip and felt pretty proud of how I had improved during the contest. Additionally, my motor/esc/batts never even got remotely warm

One other interesting detail about my experience was weigh in.... After the pilot's meeting, they got the scale out and let people weigh in. I expected to come in at about 10lbs 4ozs per my scale at home. Because of the unusual construction of my airplane, I think everyone else expected that too.... Shock was the only way to describe my feelings as I saw the scale display settle...... I weighed in at 11lbs 7.6ozs!!!!!!!! :O That meant I had to cut substantial weight out of my airplane and a very limited time to do it.

While the airplane was still on the scale, everyone was firing off great ideas to cut the fat from my airplane. All were very helpful. I was very lucky in the fact that I was staying near the AMA site with my good friend Dave Sloan. That evening, Dave and I stayed up to about 2am getting weight out of that airplane. South Beach diet ain't got nothin on me! By the last day when they weighed everyone, I had actually gone to 2ozs under the max.

I'm now very heavily addicted to Pattern. (are there any 12 step programs for us?).

Whats next for the Kudzu? >V2 of course..... Version two is already in process and may be in the air within the next month or so. Needless to say, I'll be applying the Matchless Diet to the new one..... I'm also working with a few people on getting the new one to move along at a more acceptable pace.

Name:	Sq46044.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	1001974  
Old 08-01-2008, 12:56 PM
phicks
My Feedback: (14)

jeremy mind posting pics of your pattern plane?
Old 08-01-2008, 01:39 PM
matchlessaero

Here ya go Jamie. Pic added to my post above.....

I hope your summer is going well bro. Hope you're ready for indoor season!
Old 08-01-2008, 02:21 PM
LCHelilover
My Feedback: (15)

Jeremy,

I didn't notice which dualsky motor and prop you were running, but why not use the 12T- APC 20X15 combo that many of us are using on more "standard" pattern designs?

G
Old 08-01-2008, 03:32 PM
phicks
My Feedback: (14)

Jeremey,

summer is going good. I will be heading to college in 2 weeks. EEK!
I cant wait till indoor season.... We need to talk about that... Give me a call.

Later,
Jamie
Old 08-01-2008, 03:48 PM
matchlessaero

I didn't notice which dualsky motor and prop you were running, but why not use the 12T- APC 20X15 combo that many of us are using on more "standard" pattern designs?
The next version may have just that setup on it. The setup I used initially was the same setup that Chuck Hochhalter used last year to take 3rd in intermediate. I based my design on that setup and went from there. IMO, what I was lacking was pitch speed. IE< I could not get a prop in the right dia range with the right pitch to get the speed in the correct range.

The next airplane will likely have the more common setup on it, especially with the improvements that are coming to the bigger motor.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Barrybuilder

Re: The Nats Chris.

Actually Chris,

Your real name is Krishlan Jay Fitzsimmons, check on your birth certificate.
Your alias is apparently "Chris".
Proud of you at the Nat's son, I watched your scores daily.

Your Father,
Barry Fitzsimmons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.