Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Source for Tubing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Source for Tubing?

Hey guys,

I've seen quite a few airplanes with the Hatori 821 mufflers sport some sort of clear extension. Is there a source for this, I can't find anything in any hobby shops that fits the bill, and this stuff looks to be relatively stiff. It looks to me to be Teflon maybe.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:26 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Source for Silicon Tubing?

It does look like teflon tubing and if that is the case you can probably source it from McMaster-Carr.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:32 PM
VerneK

ORIGINAL: Ryan Smith

Hey guys,

I've seen quite a few airplanes with the Hatori 821 mufflers sport some sort of clear extension. Is there a source for this, I can't find anything in any hobby shops that fits the bill, and this stuff looks to be relatively stiff. It looks to me to be Teflon maybe.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ryan,
This appears to be a thick-walled silicone tubing that I used at one time to route my exhaust. Back then, it was available from an American muffler manufacturer that's no longer in business. It is fairly stiff because of the wall thickness of the tubing and heavy for the same reason. I switched to a thin-walled red silicone tubing to save weight. Either can be had at McMaster Carr. You'll also need a spring clamp to hold it in place. Just measure the od of your stinger so you'll know what the id of the tubing needs to be. I'd suggest getting the id a little smaller so you have to stretch it a little to put it on like you would with fuel tubing. Then you'll select the wall thickness. If you want to match the stuff in the photo, the wall thickness will need to be somewhere between .100 to .125. If memory serves me correct, your tubing will have an id of about .5 with an od of about .75 (.125 wall thickness). Make sure your spring clamp fits the od of whatever you choose. Hope this helps.

Verne Koester
Old 12-03-2008, 03:56 AM
Rune

http://www.hobbynet-jp.com/photo/NISHIOKA-2005NOCP.jpg

you get it here

http://www2.hobbynet-jp.com/overseas/index.shtml
Old 12-03-2008, 06:15 AM
jlkonn
My Feedback: (1)

Ryan,
If you have an old Dave Brown SixShooter laying around the silicone tubing in it works perfect.
It's what I use. You can order the tubing as a seperate repair item from the hobby shops that carry his products.
Doc from Chicago showed me this trick when I first saw it done on his Zeque.
JLK
Old 12-03-2008, 06:43 AM
cdodom

I use the Traxxas car tubing for mine. it comes in about a 6 inch long piece. and it helps connect my stinger. will show pics later today.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:26 PM
mwick

As someone else suggested, we got some teflon tubing from McMaster Carr. It looks like that's what was used in the picture.

However, what worked the best for us was the inexpensive exhaust deflectors like those from dubro and hobbico. Use the small size, and cut at the angle. The straight piece remaining makes a great stinger for the Hatori mufflers.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:38 PM
BERUSTY
My Feedback: (3)

Exhaust extension...

I ordered mine from Central Hobbies. Al Coomber (Mr. Central Hobbies) often has items specialty items like this.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Team YS Parts and Service