Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Specktrum radios; why did you crash? Why did you have a "brown-out?"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Specktrum radios; why did you crash? Why did you have a "brown-out?"

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 02:40 AM
TOPGUN WINNER
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
I've had one and have seen a few crashes using Futaba.
Now there I believe it was PILOT ERROR...never seen a FUTABA Radio problem in 30 years...
Old 09-16-2015, 03:21 AM
flyoz
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well what a crock I am not a Top Gun winner hehehe or an expert with what 110 posts? (all on this thread it seems) But I have not had any issues with Spektrum accept one AR6200 which turned out to be a knock off even that worked fine untill I had a couple of bangs then it browned out- lost signal further away than 30feet etc.
The orange products are ok for foamies but how can you trust those over Spektrum? especial in larger planes?
Lemon make a better product than orange (what is it with technogeeks and fruit anyway)

It seems Voltage or lack of quality power deliver is the real issue here. Try A123 Packs with 5 cells.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:34 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TOPGUN WINNER
Now there I believe it was PILOT ERROR...never seen a FUTABA Radio problem in 30 years...

Really ? Where were you during Futaba's "Zero G. U .I D." debacle ????

You need to do a bit of reading before making such blanket assertions . Search both here and at RCG the words "Zero Guid" and then come back here and tell me how infallible Futaba radios are .

ALL companies occasionally get it wrong . There is no shame in a simple mistake . There IS shame , however , in knowing of a mistake and not correcting it . Futaba did an A+ job with their recall and my zero guid TX was replaced painlessly .

If there IS a provable problem with Spektrum RXs , well I hope they would do the same and replace any faulty equipment . The problem here in this thread is that without just outright putting the video out there for all to see , all the folks have to go on is the printed words of a man who has attacked just about everybody whose responded to this thread . It's kinda difficult to get folks to see eye to eye , when your punching them in the side of the head in the process !

Are Spektrum RXs flawed ? Who Knows ? Time will tell ......

Are you winning many "hearts and minds" ? Well , a quick read of all 13 pages of this mess would indicate , NOT !
Old 09-16-2015, 04:25 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I still believe most crashes are caused by setup and component use issues due to a lack of experience, I say this because I have witnessed just about all brands involved in a crash with the pilot yelling I don't have it, or I'm hit at one time or another, who knows for sure. I can only go by my own experiences and move forward from there, brand bashing and name calling has it's place I guess but it's not really my cup of tea so I will just leave it at that. What I can show you is video of my 40% 260 being flown on my DX-7 radio with 9 moderate torque servos (8611s), on board, 2 ea. Fromeco 2200 ma lions supplying power to 2 each AR 7000 receivers and without the use of a power expander. For the record, I have flown this airplane 100s of flights with this setup without any problems. http://www.icanflyrc.com/JRFlyin/JH_...008/Bob260.mp4/Bob260.jpg

Now when I am setting up the larger stuff with 14 + high torque servos like 8911s then I use a power expander with at least 2 ea 2500 ma lipos supplying power like in this picture of my 55% 260 below. Spend your money and take your pick, that 's all any of us can do.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	2120175  

Last edited by sensei; 09-17-2015 at 01:51 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:45 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I'm looking this one over guys

Locked for review.

Last edited by BarracudaHockey; 09-16-2015 at 05:48 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:37 PM
BarracudaHockey

Ok here's the deal.

I went through the entire thread. If your post is gone it means it contained what I deemed a personal attack, was way off topic, or was deemed to be bashing/ranting.

If your post was EDITED by me it means I removed quotes from a deleted post.

If we can continue the topic with technical information and reasoned discussion then by all means, please carry on.

Any further personal shots will be dealt with one on one and I'll be monitoring the thread a few times a day.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:01 PM
jmiles1941

andy more people fly Futaba and Jr than any of the radios , dang man you need to get out more , wow what a silly statement that was no body flies Futaba any more most of the IMAC guys , Pattern Guys , 3D guys and just because you workforspektrum don't thinkit is the only radio , not by a long shot LOL LOL LOL Spektrum LOL LOL LOL LOL, I don't care what radio you fly as for me I choose Futaba and always will , still cant believe that statement LOL LOL LOL

Last edited by jmiles1941; 09-16-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:31 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jmiles1941
andy more people fly Futaba and Jr than any of the radios , dang man you need to get out more , wow what a silly statement that was no body flies Futaba any more most of the IMAC guys , Pattern Guys , 3D guys and just because you workforspektrum don't thinkit is the only radio , not by a long shot LOL LOL LOL Spektrum LOL LOL LOL LOL, I don't care what radio you fly as for me I choose Futaba and always will , still cant believe that statement LOL LOL LOL
I don't know about that, I have a DX18 and I'm on the fence about switching every time I read a thread like this, but I have competed at a few NASA Scale contest, and been to a few Jet Meets and except for a few big names which are on team Futaba, I manly see Spectrum. I was told this was because it was a lot harder to be sponsored by Futaba.

But 90% of the guys I fly with in 4 cubs I belong to in 3 states fly Spectrum.

I just had a boy who thought he crashed all the time because of Spectrum, he switched to Hitec and just crash this weekend the same way as he did in the past

Last edited by mikes68charger; 09-16-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:35 AM
SAB

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a current thread in the FG radio forum titled Futaba brown out keeps happening!

Steve
Old 09-17-2015, 03:22 AM
Slapnuts

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
They have their failures. You just don't hear about them very often because nobody flies Futaba any more.

Andy
^^^^^^ Now That's Funny ^^^^^^^^^
Old 09-17-2015, 04:03 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Never Ever Had a Radio Problem Flying C/L ....
JMHO but any 2.4 Receiver will Brown Out if the Voltage (For any Reason) drops below the threshold. Weather caused by a LOW Battery or something drawing more current than the bus can handle. One of the main problems with the DSM2 Receivers was they were 2 channel Non Hopping Receivers. If they were any good Spectrum would not of gone to HOPPING. Then there is the need for Satellite receivers ... Some thing wrong when it takes multiple receivers to get a good signal ... JMHO and I ain't changing Just glad I never invested in Spectrum.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:08 AM
Sundance2018

Hi Guys -
I need to chime in here to hopefully get some advice. I bought my first Spektrum setup - the new DX6 - and used it in a Dynam SMART model plane. In all my years I have never had such a wild uncontrollable ride with a model aircraft. I finally ended up crashing and totaling the plane on the 5th flight.
Before reading this forum string, I had attributed my failure to unpredictable wind currents coupled with warped tail surfaces and a stripped wing servo; those were the only causes I could figure. However, after replacing the wing servos, and making other corrections, I still encountered uncontrollable flights. Now I am more inclined to think that much of the unpredictable behavior of the model may have been more to do with these "brown out" conditions being described here. I mean during all of the flights the plane would be cruising along and then quite suddenly go into totally erratic mode with sudden climbs, dives, or vicious banks ALL of which could be indicative of a bad Tx / Rx link. I have flown other planes in heavy winds before and never had problems with the Futaba analog setups I used.
I am getting ready to install the radio into another plane I have but am petrified to do so after reading this post coupled with what I have experienced with the Dynam SMART.
If it's a random problem how do I test for this?
Old 09-17-2015, 04:19 AM
BarracudaHockey

Originally Posted by Sundance2018
Hi Guys -
I need to chime in here to hopefully get some advice. I bought my first Spektrum setup - the new DX6 - and used it in a Dynam SMART model plane. In all my years I have never had such a wild uncontrollable ride with a model aircraft. I finally ended up crashing and totaling the plane on the 5th flight.
Before reading this forum string, I had attributed my failure to unpredictable wind currents coupled with warped tail surfaces and a stripped wing servo; those were the only causes I could figure. However, after replacing the wing servos, and making other corrections, I still encountered uncontrollable flights. Now I am more inclined to think that much of the unpredictable behavior of the model may have been more to do with these "brown out" conditions being described here. I mean during all of the flights the plane would be cruising along and then quite suddenly go into totally erratic mode with sudden climbs, dives, or vicious banks ALL of which could be indicative of a bad Tx / Rx link. I have flown other planes in heavy winds before and never had problems with the Futaba analog setups I used.
I am getting ready to install the radio into another plane I have but am petrified to do so after reading this post coupled with what I have experienced with the Dynam SMART.
Let me ask you something. You say you came from Futaba, are you aware that the expo values in Spektrum are opposite?
Old 09-17-2015, 04:36 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Hi Guys -

You need to provide more information.
What brand/model receiver are you using?
As mentioned above,do you have expo set up?
Did you perform a range test before flying?
Old 09-17-2015, 04:43 AM
Sundance2018

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Let me ask you something. You say you came from Futaba, are you aware that the expo values in Spektrum are opposite?
No, no. I didn't say I came from Futaba: I merely stated that I was using Futaba equipment in my other plane. I actually prefer JR equipment. I fly a Prote'ge' with Futaba equipment, but also have Airtronics, and JR. The Spektrum DX6 is my first spread spectrum setup and I was only using all Spektrum equipment in the SMART plane at the time. As a matter-of-fact, I never mix the Tx with other brand Rx equipment. For all I know, what I experienced may not be a radio problem at all...this forum string just caught my interest. I have certainly experienced radio jitter before, which was always due to poor batteries, but I've never experienced anything like this.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:59 AM
BarracudaHockey

No, no. I didn't say I came from Futaba: I merely stated that I was using Futaba equipment in my other plane. I actually prefer JR equipment. I fly a Prote'ge' with Futaba equipment, but also have Airtronics, and JR. The Spektrum DX6 is my first spread spectrum setup and I was only using all Spektrum equipment in the SMART plane at the time. As a matter-of-fact, I never mix the Tx with other brand Rx equipment. For all I know, what I experienced may not be a radio problem at all...this forum string just caught my interest. I have certainly experienced radio jitter before, which was always due to poor batteries, but I've never experienced anything like this.
Gotcha, I've seen folks show up with positive expo after switching between Futaba and Spektrum/JR stuff.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:00 AM
Sundance2018

Hi Brian -

Great questions, thanks!
The DX6 comes standard with the Spektrum AR610 Rx, which is what I purchased & used. (http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/...ceiver-spm6700)
Unfortunately, I have no idea what is meant by "expo" setup.
Yes, I always perform a range check.
I will say, though, that the servos in the SMART are sh*t and I replaced them all except the dedicated nose gear servo. The right wing servo stripped out after the 2nd flight. On the ground, I never experienced any radio issues at all.

In previous flying experience, I've only ever experienced radio jitter either from local interference or from poor batteries. Both of those issues were always easily resolved.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:02 AM
BarracudaHockey

Again, personal shots removed.

Next step is some time outs.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:16 AM
TOPGUN WINNER

THE FUTABA EXPO SET UP IS OPPOSITE THE SPEKTRUM...LOOK AT THE CURVES ON YOUR RADIO. AN EXPERT PATTERN PILOT DID THE SAME THING WITH HIS DX-8 (FIRST SPEKTRUM Tx..

HOPE THAT'S ALL IT IS BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE A BROWN OUT. CONDITION

DO THIS 5 MINUTE TEST:

PUT AIRCRAFT ON STAND,

BATTERY: 99% CHARGE ON 5 CELL 6V ( ANY KIND OF BATTERY YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH)

TURN OFF ELECTRIC MOTOR WITH "THROTTLE CUT" IF ELECTRIC

EXPO ON ...DUAL RATES 100%

SPEKTRUM Rx

REBIND PER MANUAL & REMOVE BIND PLUG

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A SOLID LIGHT ON THE Rx AND SATELLITE

TEST EACH CONTROL SURFACE ONE AT A TIME.

MOVE BOTH STICKS FULL TRAVEL AT THE SAME TIME TO SIMULATE 3-D AND GET MAX LOAD FROM SERVOS ( MOVE IN CIRCLES)

WATCH THE LIGHT ON BOTH RECEIVERS...IF ONE OR BOTH GO OUT COUNT THE SECONDS UNTIL IT COMES BACK ON
WATCH THE CONTROL SURFACES AND SEE WHAT THEY DO. REPEAT SEVERAL TIMES.

NOTE: SPEKTRUM SAFE SYSTEM MOVES THE THROTTLE TO LOW AND ALL THE CONTROLS STAY EXACTLY WHERE THEY WERE WHEN YOU HAD THE BROWN OUT...I CERTAINLY DO NOT WANT THAT ON MY PLANE...BROWN OUTS (ACCORDING TO THREADS) OCCUR DURING SNAPS AND KNIFE EDGE...DO YOU REALLY WANT YOUR CONTROLS FULLY DEFLECTED FOR 3 TO 4 SECONDS...I THINK NOT...THEY SHOULD GO TO NEUTRAL WITH THROTTLE CUT OFF (ORANGE)

NOW, DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING EXCEPT THE Rx

INSTALL A DIFFERENT Rx AND DO THE TEST AGAIN. ORANGE, JR AND SPEKTRUM ARE ALL COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR SPEKTRUM Tx

BORROW SOME FUTABA RADIOS AND RECEIVERS FROM YOUR FRIENDS AND TRY THEM. KEEP RECORDS OF WHAT IS HAPPENING.

THIS IS A SIMPLE "PASS" OR "FAIL" TEST...PRETTY SIMPLE

TAKE VIDEOS AND POST THEM IF YOU LIKE...YOU WILL BE ATTACKED IF YOU DO. HOWEVER 90% OF RCU WILL LOVE YOU.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:21 AM
TOPGUN WINNER

Very funny...but true

good post
Old 09-17-2015, 05:39 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Hi Brian -

Great questions, thanks!
The DX6 comes standard with the Spektrum AR610 Rx, which is what I purchased & used. (http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/...ceiver-spm6700)
Unfortunately, I have no idea what is meant by "expo" setup.
Yes, I always perform a range check.
I will say, though, that the servos in the SMART are sh*t and I replaced them all except the dedicated nose gear servo. The right wing servo stripped out after the 2nd flight. On the ground, I never experienced any radio issues at all.

In previous flying experience, I've only ever experienced radio jitter either from local interference or from poor batteries. Both of those issues were always easily resolved.
The expo values are in the dual rate (D/R) set-up in the model menu list. They are default at zero so if you made no changes in that screen then it's not expo.
In hindsight after the first indication of trouble I would have re-bound the receiver,and tried again and then checked the amp draw of each servo to make sure the bec was not being overloaded.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:45 AM
lenape68
My Feedback: (1)

Yes and all was good. I don't think the radio is the problem from everything I am hearing it may well be DSM2.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:54 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by lawrence b
I have a question for everyone that is a little off track. Has anybody flying a Futaba ever had any kind of signal loss or problems during a flight? This entire thread has been Spektrum failures but not a word about a Futaba failures. Is Futaba really that good?
Larry B
I have several Futaba radios and they have all performed with 100% reliability in flight. - never a lost signal, never a crash caused by the radio - I also have several Spektrum, several JR and two FrSky radios all with the same level of 100% reliability in the air.

Futaba is a good brand but nothing is perfect. Do a search on "Futaba Zero GUID problem" Some early 2.4 receivers were overheating and some model transmitters have problems with pots becoming loose in the gimbal (e.g. 12FG and 14SG )
Old 09-17-2015, 06:06 AM
Rob2160

You have quoted and thrown Jr High insults at the same post twice already. What's going on?

Back on post #6 I asked a very specific question and in post #7 you answered my question. Your answer was that the led is lit solid after your crashes and that is NOT a brown-out. In a brown-out the receiver led flashes on&off. So what exactly are you experiencing with a solidly lit led ?
Not a brown-out!

Spektrum DSMX mode will give you a solid light after a true brown out.

The brown out indication (LED flashing) only occurs in DSM2 mode.

If the receiver / satellite are in DSMX mode they will recover from a brown out and the light will be solid again.

These videos demonstrate this clearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPOvgha9b4w https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fysiLVGABU

The light goes off for 3-4 seconds and comes back on solid...Call it what you want.
I call it DSMX mode.

Last edited by Rob2160; 09-17-2015 at 06:51 AM. Reason: typos
Old 09-17-2015, 06:13 AM
BarracudaHockey

That is correct, no brown out indication with DSMX

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.