Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum DX-7

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 12:39 AM
rino
My Feedback: (121)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum DX-7

You guys should lighten up. It's not thAT I doubt whether you know your stuff. It's just that the majority of flyers have never had to worry much about correctly powering a system. So, they - the ones who have lost planes - naturally get frustrated. And you guys criticize them for not knowing for what only a few people in the hobby really understand.

Reedited for well, general impoliteness. Sorry.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:26 AM
jlkonn
My Feedback: (1)

Ahem...
On a lighter note.
Here's a pix of a new 7000 Rx I got in the past month.
The antennas are more robust than my original receiver I got with the DX7 system
back in April.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65335.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	697307  
Old 06-04-2007, 07:29 AM
Pile-O-Wood

ORIGINAL: rino

GeeBee And Dick,

You guys are a little more than irritating. It's not thAT I doubt whether you know your stuff. It's just that the majority of flyers have never had to worry much about correctly powering a system. So, they - the ones who have lost planes - naturally get frustrated. And you - the high and mighty - just criticize them for not knowing for what only a few people in the hobby really understand.

You guys are hard A**es plain and simple.
Just give up on HINO he will never get it.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:38 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

The AR9000's I received with my module a few weeks' back also have the rubber transition/flex limiter... I think there were probably a few of those that were bent too easily, and position of the dipole seems to be important.

It is interesting, though, that on the 9000, the antennas on the main RX are 90 to each OTHER. One pointing parallel lengthwise with the case, the other 90* to the first.

I expect antennas, remote Rx's, etc. will evolve over time with all 2.4Ghz systems. Other manufacturers have revised their Tx antenna, or provided special "requirements" for the RX antenna placement. Dealing with low power, and such directional RF characteristics that can be so easily dispersed or shielded presents it's challenges, for sure.

ORIGINAL: jlkonn

Ahem...
On a lighter note.
Here's a pix of a new 7000 Rx I got in the past month.
The antennas are more robust than my original receiver I got with the DX7 system
back in April.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:28 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GeeBee And Dick,

You guys are a little more than irritating. It's not thAT I doubt whether you know your stuff. It's just that the majority of flyers have never had to worry much about correctly powering a system. So, they - the ones who have lost planes - naturally get frustrated. And you - the high and mighty - just criticize them for not knowing for what only a few people in the hobby really understand.

You guys are hard A**es plain and simple.
Rino,

I strongly believe Spread Sprectrum is the biggest technological improvement in radio control in 35 years. However it should not be necessary to design products that hard fail based on conditions likely to occur. The conversation about Spectrum and crashing indicates low voltage spikes are common.

Consumer products should not require a high level of technical expertise to successfully use. Spectrum an otherwise good radio could easily become known as "the radio that crashes airplanes" on voltage spikes. The marketplace will not be kind to products that destroy airplanes.

Bill
Old 06-04-2007, 08:39 AM
jlkonn

Bob,
Although I don't have one...yet, I too noticed the antenna orientation on the main receiver for the 9000.
I believe from talking to folks the 9000 has a data port for the data logger.
Does it also have an additional port for more than one satelite receiver or does it use a "Y" type device when using more than one?
Thanks!
JLK
Old 06-04-2007, 09:20 AM
Bob Pastorello

It has two separate connection points for satellite rx's, and the data port can also be the "second" battery input. That's how mine is setup.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:01 AM
rino

Bill,

I totally agree. You hit the nail on the head. And in the mean time many of us learned somr good lessons about how to correctly power a system. Anyways, a free maket system shakes these sort of things out pretty quickly. If people find it problematic they will buy something else.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:03 AM
rino

Pile,

Please do give up on me and do not reply to anything I write out here. I will return the favor.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:02 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill,

I totally agree. You hit the nail on the head. And in the mean time many of us learned somr good lessons about how to correctly power a system. Anyways, a free maket system shakes these sort of things out pretty quickly. If people find it problematic they will buy something else.
There may only be 5% of my club that Spectrum could be recommended. The other 95% would be dangerous.

Bill
Old 06-04-2007, 01:03 PM
ricomari

Hey guys, I've been following this thread for a while now and I'm still confused. Can the DX7 be used as is for a non-3d Great Planes
27% Cap 232 fitted with a Fuji43. All servos would be Hitec 5645 with a 6volt 2000 mah battery. All the radio servo leads and switch are HD. I just want to set up as simple as possible without any fancy batteries or regulators. Thanks! Henry
Old 06-04-2007, 02:07 PM
smooreace

A DX-7 will work fine in ANY aircraft as long as its not power stressed. Pre 2.4 gig sistems had power fluctuation issues just like 2.4 has. Only 2.4 shows those problems a lot more drastically.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:26 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to be clear -- only the Spektrum receivers are showing a high sensitivity to low voltage conditions. No data in this regard about the Futaba FASST system or the XPS system has been presented...
Old 06-04-2007, 04:13 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

The Futaba system hasn't been out long enough to know for sure and XPS as had other issues he is fixing now. But taking care of your batteries has always been number one in this hobby, but some people have gotten lazy and gotten away with it. With these new systems being lasy will bite you in the butt. Dennis
Old 06-04-2007, 05:22 PM
stonescar

Some stupid newbie questions, if I may:

Will I face any of these problems in a size .40 electro trainer?

I have read a good part of this thread, but with my severly limited experience I don't know how sharing a li-po battery for engine and rx will affect the voltage levels, and I am not experienced enough to judge whether this model would demand much from the servos and thereby resulting in voltage drops in the danger zone.

Please don't flame me for not knowing this upfront, at least I'm browsing these forums to learn before I buy any equipment, and I'm willing to learn - hence these potentially silly questions. Directions to where and how I could gain thorough knowledge about powering an rc model are appreciated, as I haven't got access to a rc club with instructors for some time.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:27 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

percentage wise -- the Spektrums are solid as a rock.
After watching -for meeny meeny years -- the rather bon vivant attitude about batteries - -it is easy to see how some are surprised that you have to use modern battery procedures with modern equipment .
when the first LiIon and regs hit the scene years back -I was astonished at how some flocked to these setups
"Step right up - Longer flying times - lighter weight -etc....".
and troubles the poor neophyte could not fathom.
they did improve -absolutely
But then so did Nicads/ NiMh and now the new 123 cells
Why should anyone one be surprised that new technology requires better peripheral equipment?
It sure ain't like there are no cells capable of doing the job .
For the nay sayers
I have only one thing to say--

Name:	Pn35597.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	697621  
Old 06-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Foamaholic

stonescar -- If you are talking about using an esc (speed control) with BEC so you can use the motor battery to also power the receiver then yes, this should work okay. You would need to be sure what the voltage cutoff on the esc is to be sure the motor will cut off before the battery gets too low.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:53 PM
jlkonn

OK...
I give up and swallow my pride...
[]
What the heck is this?!?!
It came in the package with the servo grommets, etc with my DX7.
I can't for the life of me figure out what it's for!
[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Name:	Zx72569.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	697683  
Old 06-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Bob Pastorello

It is the "smooth" gimbal ratchet for the throttle when using in Heli mode. Lets you add friction without "bumps", unlike the stock airplane version which has a ridge formed in the middle that the stick gimbal teeth "click" into.

OK...
[]
[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 06-04-2007, 07:01 PM
jlkonn

Bob,
Thanks!
Mystery solved!
You could have locked me in a closet with that thing for 100 years and I never would have figured it out...
I can sleep again...

JLK
Old 06-04-2007, 09:57 PM
smooreace

Im glad you asked, so I dont have to. Ive been stumbling around with that one for months now

OK...
[]
[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 06-05-2007, 11:16 AM
alcarafa

A friend of mine just had a problem with his DX7, he crashed after 8 min flying.
reason was the rudder started moving crazy, and there was no response at all ,on any of the sticks.

Yesterday they checked the reciever, servos,batteries,extensions etc and everything worked ok.

What could possible caused the sistem to fail? not even the so called smart fail-safe worked.

Any ideas?

Nice landings 2 all U
Old 06-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a bum rudder servo. bad electronics, as in a bad pot will feedback into the reciever and cause the rest of the servos to act up. Does the same thing on 72 meg. radios too. The reason it didn't go into failsafe is, it was still getting a good signal from the trans.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Pile-O-Wood

Last Sunday we had a fly-in with about 30 airplanes. We had both 2.4ghz and 72mhz radios being used, we had 4 (three looked like radio problems) crashes during the day. And guess what, all were on 72mhz.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

The other day I was called as a fellow was going to maiden a Cap 580 and he couldnt get the elevators to work, I talked him thru the setup on the phone and before I could get out there had done a flight and landed.

When I got out there he wanted me to check it over so I turned his equipment on ( just like I do all mine) and his elevator half kicked up also one aileron, a few seconds later it went to normal.
Tried turning it on and off in different combos and it was still the same.
He is an experienced flyer and runs a hobby shop so knows all about binding.
For want of a better idea I rebound the plane....no more kickups on turn on.
The thing is even tho it wasnt bound it had flow quite well and some distance away.
So bind and bind to make sure everytime you go into the system menu.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.