Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum DX-7

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 12:44 AM
alcarafa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum DX-7

ORIGINAL: Panzlflyer

Make a throttle to throttle mix and a percentage you want it to move and assign a switch.
You will be able to see the switch on and off on the screen, needs to be active to set the percentage.
Hold Left 2 buttons down when powering on to enter system menu and change switch from Ind to what you want.
No Triple rates available.
I personally rebind after going into the system menu.
Check Aerobobs good web site.
Panz:
I used mix 1 as engine cut with a thro to thro mix , but didnt work out , switch is on for sure, but % are not working to cut the engine, do I have to set the offset also? how much %? what am I doing wrong? Txs for your advice.

Rafa
Old 07-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

You may be limited by your end ponts, no offset and you will only be active below half throttle. you can only set the % with the switch active.
You may need to adjust your linkage or try removing rhe linkage and set you endpoints up, activate the switch and check it actually moves...that will be the furthest it can move..dont want to overdrive the servo!
Old 07-23-2007, 10:32 PM
kwjames

Okay installed power expander. New Jr Battery with Dean connectors heavy duty switch. All heavy duty wire from servos to power expander with no Y harness. After hooking every thing up I even did a rebind on the RX. Every thing works well on the bench. Get to the field fuel up turn on Tx then Rx the unit has no bind. Only the light on the second antenna is on and sooon it goes out. Make several attempts to rebind. Even with all servos discontected. On the 5 or 6 try it rebinds. No way I am using that TX. I replaced it and the new rebinds in an instant. No lost bind for 3 days now. While I think my other efforts are not a waist I go back to my first post, BAD RX.
Ken
Old 07-24-2007, 03:25 AM
alcarafa

ORIGINAL: Panzlflyer

You may be limited by your end ponts, no offset and you will only be active below half throttle. you can only set the % with the switch active.
You may need to adjust your linkage or try removing rhe linkage and set you endpoints up, activate the switch and check it actually moves...that will be the furthest it can move..dont want to overdrive the servo!
Txs Panz:

I'll try what you explained and let you know how ot worked out.

Regards.
Rafa
Old 07-24-2007, 08:39 AM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

KW
you may have a broken antenna wire down inside the unit. A couple of folks have had that. I wouldn not use the tx either especially if another TX binds perfectly. Send that baby in for service.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:53 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The antenna wire connects to a pc board by a very small push on connector easily disslodged if you have been inside your unit, its a small round brass connector on the top pc board about half way down on the right looking at the Tx with the back removed and the aerial pointing away from you.

Mike

EDIT: to add pics, take off your battery cover and dissconect the battery note which way up the plug is, undo six black screws in the Tx back and lift the back off carefully the back has a fly lead that attaches to the battery box, then have a look, one pic shows the aerial lead attached and one with it off.

Hope this is all it is.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74729.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	729069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96549.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	729070  
Old 07-24-2007, 09:08 AM
Capt Jim
My Feedback: (168)

Here's a workable throttle kill set up for the DX-7.
1. Activate p-mix #1
2. Set it for thro to thro mix. (which is the default setting)
3. Set "SW" to <MIX>
4. Leave offset at zero.
5. With the <MIX> switch "ON", set the LOW rate at +20% (as a starting point)
6. With the <MIX> switch OFF, run the motor and set your throttle end point to give you the lowest reliable idle with the throttle trim set at its minimum position.
7. Then switch the <MIX> switch to ON, and the motor should stop running!

This mix is set to drive the throttle servo to a lower position when activated. 20% should be enough to do the job, but it too is adjustable.
The nice thing is that if you accidentally hit the <MIX> switch to "ON" while you are flying...it will not kill the motor if you are anywhere above approximately quarter throttle. No nasty surprises here.
I set my flying idle trim to something a bit higher than the bottom trim setting just to make sure it doesn't flame out unexpectedly during a flight. When I am setting up for landing, I push the throttle trim down until it reaches the very bottom...that's the lowest reliable idle for landing. By having it bottom out, you know exactly what throttle level to expect. No more guessing and reducing the throttle trim while hoping you don't kill the motor in the process. You probably will still use more throttle stick during landing, but by having this low idle pre-set available, the plane will not run away at speed on the ground if you are on a nice smooth paved runway. On grass, this very low idle may be handy, but is not as much of a requirement. This set up, with its nice low idle, will allow you to taxi back slowly, under good control, and still kill the motor instantly when you hit the <MIX> switch.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:13 AM
BaldEagel

I use exactly the same set up, but just to add to the disscusion the Spektrum has a throttle idle remember function, have a look in the manual, if I remember it remembers the idle position so if you cut your motor on the throttle trim one click up from the lowest trim position puts the throttle servo back to idle setting, clever stuff.

Mike
Old 07-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Capt Jim

Yes, the DX-7 throttle "recovery" function is pretty neat, but since the tx lacks a hi/lo idle function like the Futaba 9C has, I found myself using a slightly higher, more reliable idle in flight, and then pushing down on the throttle trim to get to a lower idle for good control after landing on the paved runway. I would frequently end up killing the motor when I really didn't want that to happen. This kill setup prevents me from killing the motor with the trim button...but gives me an instant kill with the switch. But as I mentioned, if you fly off grass, you really don't need to get to such a low idle.
My smooth paved runway allows the plane to run away at anything like a normal idle. That's very uncomfortable for taxiing purposes, but does make for some very entertaining taxi runs!!!.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:00 AM
BaldEagel

Paved runways, what's that? [sm=cry_smile.gif] I could not find a green with envy smiley, my field is mostly sheep turds with a bit of grass here and there. LOL

Mike
Old 07-24-2007, 10:11 AM
Capt Jim

Sounds like it's for helicopters only!
Old 07-24-2007, 10:22 AM
BaldEagel

Well we do fly helicopters there, but with aircraft you just have to make sure the patch is cut, don't use wheel pants and take plenty of cleaning materials with you, Oh and an air freshner, LOL its actually over 100 acres so there is plenty of room, just lots of sheep making comments about your flying abbility. BAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mike
Old 07-24-2007, 09:37 PM
kwjames

Thanks guys for the info on antenna and photos. In this case though I am just going to send it back to Horizian because the RX was brand new out of the box for this plane. Your info was good to learn though. If I was on the field and was having trouble with an RX that always worked and not in a new plane I just spent $2000.00 to put together.
Ken
Really thanks again for the photos info it is great.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:25 PM
alcarafa

ORIGINAL: Flypaper 2

The DX6 rcvr,[b] AR 6000 [/b]also works fine on the DX7.I have 6 of them, half on the DX6 and the others on the 7. I trust them more than the 6100 as they have 2 rcvrs in them and have been faultless for a year and a half.

,[b] AR 6000 [/b] Is this a long range Rx ? want to use it with a glow OS 55 installed on a 54" wingspan plane.

Txs all.
Rafa
Old 07-31-2007, 05:42 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No problem. I'm runnimg it in a Pulse XT 40 electrified with no problems. Friend with eagle eyes has a Florio 40 with an OS 46 FX . The other day he had it flying about 75 ft. up and flew it so far out I couldn't tell which side was up. I'd say at least half a mile. No problems.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:16 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

The 6000 and 6100 rx's are NOT recommended for any glow powered models. The 6000 is defined by Horizon/Spektrum as a "Park Flyer" rx. The 6100 is for foamies and small electric powered models.

If you want something for that 54" wingspan model with the OS 55, the new 6200 six channel rx with a satellite rx is a full range rx and recommended for what you have. I've been using one in a trainer I keep around and it works great.

Questions about what rx's can be used in various models have been answered repeatedly by Danny over on the JR/Spektrum product support forum, the above information came from that source. You really ought to consider following the manufacturer's recommendations for this stuff....
Old 07-31-2007, 08:13 PM
rmh

follow ----what?
how quaint--
first, you have to read -
Old 08-01-2007, 02:57 AM
BaldEagel

Only girls read the manual before operating the machine, men read the manual after they have broken the piece of equipment and then send it back under warranty. bit like asking directions.

Mike

Old 08-01-2007, 04:36 PM
alcarafa

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

The 6000 and 6100 rx's are NOT recommended for any glow powered models. The 6000 is defined by Horizon/Spektrum as a "Park Flyer" rx. The 6100 is for foamies and small electric powered models.

If you want something for that 54" wingspan model with the OS 55, the new 6200 six channel rx with a satellite rx is a full range rx and recommended for what you have. I've been using one in a trainer I keep around and it works great.

[b]Questions about what rx's can be used in various models have been answered repeatedly by Danny over on the JR/Spektrum [/b]product support forum, the above information came from that source. You really ought to consider following the manufacturer's recommendations for this stuff....

Txs Zeeb , let me tell you I've read the entire manual, think you should be more polite with your comments.
Rafa
Old 08-01-2007, 08:59 PM
tclaridge

I got the Spektrum neck balancer for the strap today. Works great. I cut my leg once because the throttle stick got bumped when the Tx was around my neck. The balancer makes the Tx nice and level! I highly recommend it.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Flypaper 2

I'll probably get shot down for this one too, but I leave the transmitter off untill I'm ready to fly the plane. On the smaller ones or a chopper, I carry the trans. in one hand and the plane in the other. When I get to the flight line I put the plane down, turn on the trans, then I'm off. When I land, I taxi the plane over to me then turn the trans off. The default reciever setting with no signal is throttle off. To set the throttle up for it I put the idle trim to the lowest position, then rebind it. If you don't put the idle trim down, when you shut the trans off, on electric it will go to fast idle. A flying buddy who wasn't convinced of this setup was carrying a large electric heli in one hand and the trans in the other. He accidently hit the throttle up to about half. He had a good grip on the heli and couldn't let go of it for personal safety reasons. In a matter of seconds it toasted the motor, ESC and batt. Now he turns the trans off. I know old habits are hard to break according to old school thinking but this is one of them.
Gord.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:37 PM
ricomari

Just got my DX7 from LightFlight, what a deal! Can I use the Dubro JR heavy duty servo arms on the DS821s?
Old 08-02-2007, 07:48 PM
onewasp

ORIGINAL: ricomari

Just got my DX7 from LightFlight, what a deal! Can I use the Dubro JR heavy duty servo arms on the DS821s?
They fit------whether or not the stresses to be imposed are within the 821's design parameters is quite another question.
The output gear is plastic ----- it has limits that are less than the metal counterpart. With a good dose of common sense----perhaps.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:56 PM
RaceCity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Dubro HD servo arms (JR type) fit fine. The servo (any servo) is only as strong as it's weakest link anyway. Nothing changes, and the HD arms are simply a larger, and more robust fitting.

I buy them. I like them, but they're too expensive for what they are.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:54 AM
alcarafa

ORIGINAL: ricomari

Ricomari you just made the best deal there is for the DX7 sold by lightflightrc.com , they have the lowest prices on recievers, accesories and transmiters, for example horizon price for AR7000 Rx is 99.99 dlls - lightflight 80 dlls for the same Rx .
You also get a terrific service from Dave.

Regards.
Rafa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.