Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 2.4 GHz User Report

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 12:05 PM
P-40 DRIVER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Futaba 2.4 GHz User Report

It's all marketing, leave key features off so you will have buy a more expensive radio. A 2 position flap switch is a bit much, I did not like the knob either, a 3 position switch would be my preference. On the other hand, most people who purchase these radio's wont be flying with flaps anyway or retracts for that matter. Ninety percent of whats flying out there is four chanels if my club is any indication.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:30 PM
phildflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other thing that bothers me about the transmitter is the absolute cheap material used. It's no big deal but when I turned of the radio the other day, the rubber switch got scratched up because of my finger nails. Who would have thought. What now I need to come to the field with a manicure? Thank goodess I did not knock into it or drop it. Point being that all our equipment gets knocked around a bit. This transmitter is a cheaply made Chinese imported product. It looks and feels cheap .If you can get past that and be gentle it's a very good sports transmitter.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:12 AM
d_wheel

ORIGINAL: phildflyer

The other thing that bothers me about the transmitter is the absolute cheap material used. It's no big deal but when I turned of the radio the other day, the rubber switch got scratched up because of my finger nails. Who would have thought. What now I need to come to the field with a manicure? Thank goodess I did not knock into it or drop it. Point being that all our equipment gets knocked around a bit. This transmitter is a cheaply made Chinese imported product. It looks and feels cheap .If you can get past that and be gentle it's a very good sports transmitter.
Two weeks ago I had mine laying on one of our tables at the flying field. They are about 4 feet high and work great for us old farts who have trouble bending or squatting to work on our models. The transmitter was holding down one wing of a sailplane to keep it from blowing off in a slight breeze. While answering some questions that a spectator had asked, a gust came along and blew everything off onto the concrete below. After saying a few choice words, I picked everything up expecting the worst. To my surprise, the transmitter only showed a scratch on one side where it had landed. There was no rattling while shaking, so I turned everything on and found that it worked perfectly. I have several flights on it since with no problems. I guess the "cheap material" is more robust than some might think.

Later;

D.W.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:14 PM
P-40 DRIVER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main reason I fly a JR 9303 is not all the gadgets but the feel of the sticks and the quality of the box. Now if only could afford the 2.4 ghz version. Good quality stuff costs money, always has, always will. I will say at a $200 price point, Futaba has no competition which is why I suspect they went the route they have chosen, plus their system seems to make more intuitive sense then the others. I swore off Futaba years ago after a real bad experience but I may be back. It maybe a bit cheezy around the edges but if it works, it works.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:59 AM
phildflyer

When I talk about the quality of the product, I am comparing it to earlier versions. A number of weeks ago I replaced an unwarranteed 6EXA with a new one. That transmitter failed after six flights. Totally disappointed I brought it back to my LHS and traded up to the FASST system. Looking at both transmitters one can see that everything on the FASST radio is of cheaper quality. The plastic case, the toggle switches etc. All this is superficial to the electronics of the unit, however stuff happens and transmitters sometimes do get knocked around. I am very careful with my equipment and I take pride in my planes and equipment. The radio so far works very well. I still feel like I'm holding on to a TOYS R US jobs. BUT IT WORKS FINE.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:50 AM
[email protected]

I have a futaba 2.4Ghz and it works perfectly. But, for all you JR 2.4 users out there we had a guy at our field that took a hit on one of those. I know its suprising but thats just the quality of JR.[sm=biggrin.gif]