Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

HiTec Optic 6 Case & handle Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 07:12 PM
aussiesteve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HiTec Optic 6 Case & handle Issues

I have a question
How many people out there are experiencing case problems with Hitec Optic 6 Transmitters?

I feel there seems to be a lot of Optic 6 owners complaining about the broken handles on their cases and am curious as to just how widespread this problem is.

We go so tired of our two Optic 6's handles being unreliable that we scrapped the radios (as well as an Eclipse 7 for the same reason).

We now fly a different brand of electronics and are extremely happy with that brand. But that change was costly considering that we also bought and scrapped the HiTec product. (Including the PCM Receivers associated with them).

Whenever someone asks about this on one of the Manufacturer support forums, many of the posts get deleted using the excuse that the only replies allowed are those that are from the manufacturer (Yet other posts are left undeleted).

This is not about Electronics issues - just the Quality of the cases.

Please be quick to reply, I suspect that certian moderators will delete this post as well.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:25 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HiTec Optic 6 Case & handle Issues

I have owned 3 Eclipses and still own 2 and have never experienced nor heard of a case or handle problem. I do however treat them as radios.

I have also not seen any Optic 6 problems in this neighborhood and there are several in use.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:58 PM
lshadow2005
My Feedback: (5)

I have an optic 6 and also treat it as a radio ie with care. I also use a tx tray which helps protect it and make it easier to use for long flight times
Bob
Old 08-02-2007, 10:25 PM
aussiesteve

Just consider the following thread

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6187816

On thread 3, the original poster refers to the previous 2 replies yet there aren't 2 showing - That's because one of the replies mentioned he had the same problem and had swapped brands - it got removed.

There was a bunch of other posts removed also that mentioned they had the same problem. The only ones that were kept were the ones that suited HiTec. One of mine was the last post removed before the Moderator locked the thread. It did not contin any erroneous comments, I simply mentioned that this may be a problem in the design. One of my earlier replies where I explained how I finally fixed the problem was also removed. (I fixed it by changing brands and because I like to use PCM, am unlikely to ever go back).

I just want to know if this is a real problem or whether there are just a few of us that have been unlucky enough to get dud cases. Either way HiTec refuses to warrant the problem.

My own experience with 2 different units that are very well looked after is that, at best, we get about a year out of the cases and you can never rely on the handles. I had the cases replaced on each of my units twice, at my cost, only to have the same issue happen. That is a total of 6 cases where this happened to me.

The Eclipse handle weakness is well documented but that is a different issue - this thread is about the Optic 6 case.

Here is another thread regarding this issue that got "Moderated".

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_38...tm.htm#3834904

Old 08-02-2007, 11:37 PM
XJet
Banned

My O6's handle parted company with the case (despite *very* careful handling) quite early on.

It was pretty obvious (just by looking) that this was a very weak part of the plastic so I queried Hitec.

I was told that they'd had *no* complaints and that they'd not heard of this happening. It appears that this is what they told a *lot* of people.

Hitec's policy with design or manufacturing defects is to deny everything and treat every report with surprise and astonishment.

They also have a decidedly poor track record with V1.0 products -- there's a long and growing list of such products that have design problems and need to be repaired/returned. Unfortunately (and wouldn't you know it) it's not Hitec's policy to issue recalls either -- so the product you buy from your dealer's shelf could be faulty right from day one and you won't know until you ball-up your expensive plane or injure someone.

That's not a responsible attitude to product quality, customer satisfaction or safety.

Having said that, I know Hitec make some damned fine products. I've got dozens of their servos and love them. I've also bought a few of their lemons in the past and now steer well clear of their transmitters and receivers (advising others to do likewise).
Old 08-02-2007, 11:51 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a problem with the Optics 6 case handle I would suggest to anyone that
has a optics to inspect the case around the handle or maybe tape it up. mine
just broke one day while i was carrying it. I think my Optic will be three years
old in Dec the case broke about a month ago but i used epoxy to repair it and
I think it will be ok.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:38 AM
4*60

To quote: you yourself: We go so tired of our two Optic 6's handles being unreliable that we scrapped the radios (as well as an Eclipse 7 for the same reason).

SO don't tell me about this being about Optic 6 only. I am quite surprised that Hitec refuses to warrantee the cases since I have had good experience with them on other items. Having said that, I will leave never to taint your thread again
Old 08-03-2007, 08:50 PM
kwhite.6

my handle breaking didn't bother me as bad as the 2 planes i lost because of the spectra module being loose and loosing signal.i know they will replace the back for free so the module fits better but they didn't offer to replace the planes. now i'm looking for a replacement that i can fly my only plane left and my heli.any thoughts?
Old 08-03-2007, 09:33 PM
aussiesteve

kwhite.6
I just PM'd you with my solution to the problem.

4*60
Oops - My bad for mentioning the other unit
Unfortunately my Optics were both purchased in Australia where the warranty service is nowhere near as good as that experienced in other countries. (Because Oz only has a total of 22 million people in a land area similar in size to the US, the RC scene in Oz is way smaller in total numbers than it is in the US or Canada so I suspect that the total profits just aren't there for the various dealers that supply the sport).

I absolutely swear by HiTec servos and use them almost exclusively (the only exceptions being some cheap servos that I bought here in China to use on a couple of foamies).
Old 08-03-2007, 10:58 PM
XJet
Banned

I just traded up to a JR 9X II and may have a ceremonial burning of the old Hitec gear :-)

Actually, I'll just keep it for the club trainer. I'm looking forward to a radio that doesn't impose so many restrictions on programming, which won't reset its model-memory at random and which (touch wood) won't fall apart in my very hands :-)

With an Eclipse 7 setup costing around NZ$600 or so, and an Optic 6 costing NZ$550 - the chance to buy a brand new JR 9X II with synth module, 10-channel synth PCM receiver and four servos for NZ$650 was just too good to pass up.

I'll still use my Hitec servos though -- they're pretty damned good (especially those HS5955TGs in my gasser.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:14 PM
aussiesteve

It must be the proper solution
I replaced my 3 (2 x optics and the one that I'm not supposed to mention) with a PCM9X and a PCM10X.

The 9x travels the world with me, has 3 different modules changed in it (36MHz, 72MHz & 40 MHz)and has been used almost every day for the past year with absolutely no problems. Before anyone jumps on this statement - The Optics got used once per week in Perth without module changes and did not travel with me at all (The Eclipse did that role for me).

I put my Optics on the concrete driveway and ran over them with a tractor. Too many planes put at risk to use them again.

I've kept the Eclipse for my Foamies, paddock fliers and trainer.

Like you, I'm addicted to the 5955's (I have about 25 or 30 of those) and I also have a bunch of 645MG, 985MG, 475HB and 425's fot he other planes (as well as the usual 55's and random others. In our fleet of 50 or more ready to fly planes (between the three of us) There are only 5 planes that don't have HiTec serovs in them and they are the foamies that I spoke about earlier. I wil continue to use the HiTec Servos - just not their TX's or RX's (especially seeing as we can't get the 36MHz PCM Rx's in Oz any more anyway).
Old 08-04-2007, 12:26 AM
kwhite.6

i guess nothing in the optic price comes close.i'm not familiar with jr, but from what i've read it will take the 9 channel super from futaba and thats about the same price as the jr.now i remember why i bought the optic in the first place but you get what you pay for!
Old 08-04-2007, 05:53 AM
A.T.

[quote]ORIGINAL: XJet I just traded up to a JR 9X II and may have a ceremonial burning of the old Hitec gear :-) Actually, I'll just keep it for the club trainer. I'm looking forward to a radio that doesn't impose so many restrictions on programming, which won't reset its model-memory at random and which (touch wood) won't fall apart in my very hands :-) With an Eclipse 7 setup costing around NZ$600 or so, and an Optic 6 costing NZ$550 - the chance to buy a brand new JR 9X II with synth module, 10-channel synth PCM receiver and four servos for NZ$650 was just too good to pass up. I'll still use my Hitec servos though -- they're pretty damned good (especially those HS5955TGs in my gasser. /quote]
Hi Bruce, with respect I would be interested to learn how you arrived at the prices you quoted as the comparison appears to be flawed.
Eclipse NZ$529 inc GST
Optic 6FM ranges from NZ$399.00 to NZ$470.00 including GST
Cheapest JR set, as described, on search of NZ parallel importers retail shops is NZ$1050.00 including GST with JR NZ Agent's RRP for a standard JR set with SPCM $1314.79 inc GST (Synth set has not yet arrived in NZ and price is advised to be higher..
FWIW, I have not had any Optic 6 transmitters, with a broken handle, referred for service to date nor any request to date for a replacement case. Given the great numbers sold, I suggest that reported breakages are no greater than other brands. (On some of which I have repaired broken cases and handles.)
Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 08-04-2007, 04:29 PM
XJet
Banned

Alan, Compare apples with apples:

[link=http://www.acehobby.co.nz/OSSB2/Root/OSSBEC1/ShowItem.asp?PID=54235]Eclipse 7 with QPCM receiver[/link] = NZ$599 incl GST (from *your* shop)
[link=http://www.acehobby.co.nz/OSSB2/Root/OSSBEC1/ShowItem.asp?PID=53607]Optic 6 with QPCM receiver [/link] = NZ$549.90 incl GST (from *your* shop)

If you want a synth (transmitter only) then add another [link=http://www.acehobby.co.nz/ossb2/main/Productfinder.asp?ID=54845]$115.90 for a Spectra module[/link] and you're up to $714.90 for the Eclipse and $665.80 for the Optic. It gets a *lot* worse if you want a 72MHz Spectra which lists at [link=http://www.acehobby.co.nz/ossb2/main/Productfinder.asp?ID=261]an incredible NZ$199[/link].

Of course with Hitec you're still only getting a 7/6 channel radio with a PCM resolution of just 9 bits (512 steps) and non-ball-bearing servos.

As we all know, JR's official NZ prices are *outrageous*, which is why places such as TopRC and PeakModel are bringing the stuff in direct with massive savings.

The JR 9X II with synth transmitter, synth 10-channel receiver and 4x BB servos is just (at today's exchange rate) NZ$649.35. Even once GST (if charged) and freight is factored in, the total cost to my door comes to NZ$781.56 -- a mere $66 more expensive than that Eclipse 7 setup with a Spectra module, fixed-frequency receiver, two fewer channels, very limited mixing/assignments, lousy PCM resolution, non-BB servos and a handle attachment that some have found to be sadly lacking.

Mind you, I admit that the prices I've quoted for Hitec gear are also *outrageous* and are probably really killing the potential sales of Hitec gear in this country.

For example, I recently bought a fist-full of HS5955TG servos. [link=http://www.acehobby.co.nz/ossb2/main/Productfinder.asp?ID=55460]The NZ price is $263.90[/link] which (at today's dollar rate) is around US$203. Having already asked AceHobby NZ a while back if they'd be prepared to offer a *little* discount on the purchase of multiple servis and been told "*NO*, no discount at all", I just bought mine direct from the USA where I paid US$80 each (NZ$103) in a ServoCity sale. A friend just bought 10 of them from TroyBuilt models for US$89 each when the dollar was at US$0.80 and effectively paid about NZ$112.

There are a *lot* of folks doing likewise because, although they don't mind paying 20-30% more than the US list price, they do object to paying twice as much and not being offered *any* discount for purchasing a fist-full at one time. I'm all for supporting local suppliers (and I do spend quite a bit of money with the likes of The 436 Model Shop, but I refuse to be gouged.

Hitec USA's policies in respect to their product faults is awful. Hitec's NZ representative's policies in respect to price-gouging are similarly awful.

I suspect our Aussie mates are getting similarly nailed to the wall -- AussieSteve?
Old 08-04-2007, 10:20 PM
aussiesteve

Yep
Aussie Prices and NZ Prices are near identical.
I always tried to purchase as much as possible from Aussie suppliers so that I could get warranty etc. I have only ever requested warranty twice EVER for products that I have purchased for this sport. I waas given an emphatic NO over that and couldn't be bothered chasing it further. - You guessed it - it was for 2 x Optic 6 cases, one of which also had the charging jack area breakage (another problem area on them).

We kept getting told things like "We have used this product ourselves and never had a problem" (maybe they do for their indoor flyers but one of those same people that quoted that is now a Futaba flyer).

One of the wonderful things about regularly travelling to the US and living in China is that I get to purchase a lot of items at sensible prices. I also get warranty on the things purchased. Whenever I travel nowadays, I make sure that I take 2 suitcases and I always bring one back full of "stuff". (sometimes the second suitcase is a couple of ARF's)

Eg - JRPCM9x 36MHz at US$457.50
c/w R77s TX & 4x DS385's

http://www.himodel.com

When comparing the cost and the benefits gained, I am actually glad I made the move.

Of course, if a supplier regularly refuses to provide warranty, their records will always show no major issues with a product because the repairs will show that they are required because of customer related issues.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

Yep, I have 2 and the case has broken on both . It is really annoying but a little tape fixed it up. I have 3 years on mine now.

I wish they would get a better case. There radios are a very good deal IMO. Just that darn case.....
Old 08-05-2007, 01:44 AM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: Cambo
I wish they would get a better case. There radios are a very good deal IMO. Just that darn case.....
The O6 is a good radio *IF*:

1. you weren't silly enough to buy one of the early ones with the AAAA and other firware bugs that could (and did) crash a plane. Hitec's response was something along the lines of "this affects only a very small percentage of users and if you send the radio back we'll fix it" -- but of course they wouldn't fix any model that went in as a result. No recall, no widely publicized notification for those who had at-risk sets.

2. you weren't unlucky enough to buy one of the later ones with a Spectra module that didn't fit the back of the case properly and definitely did crash *many* planes. Hitec's "official" repair was to just wrap some tape around the Spectra module -- which didn't fix it at all and resulted in even more planes being lost. In the end they came up with some new plastic but refused to recall the remaining stock sitting on dealers shelves for update -- so there are probably still people buying this faulty RC gear today from dealers with slow-moving stock and crashing planes as a result. Thanks Hitec!

If you could be sure that you weren't buying a known-dud (which you can't, even today) and if it weren't for the fact that (despite the huge numbers who *have* had their handle part-company with the case) they deny the handle design fault, this'd be a fantastic radio.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:02 AM
The Raven

I started with a Flash 5SX which was second hand. No idea how old it was but the handle started to crack. It was repaired by fitting some sturdy wire in the groove at the back of the handle and filling it with epoxy.

I now have an Eclipse which I bought new. The plastic has started to crack despite trying to be gentle with it. Thin CA on the cracks have helped but tonight I pulled it apart to take another look. Where are the washers and thicker plastic around those load bearing areas? You made the outside of the cover look impressively sturdy around the handle and then didn't make it any thicker than the rest of the cover.... If you're going to design a fancy plastic mold, particularly the bits the handle attach to, make it thicker. It's not going to cost Hitec one more cent after the initial mold is made....

As for the Optic, I have no personal experience but would imagine it's the same.

These cases aren't flimsy but Hitec could have very easily made the handle areas stronger for next to no cost. You don't hear/see this handle problem on other brands of radio.

I hope the new Corona has addressed some of the common Hitec criticisms: not enough model memories and handles that break. I need a new radio and will wait for the Corona, if it's not up to scratch I'm going JR.

From the pics I've seen of the Corona, hopefully the product models will have a better quality LCD screen than the cheap looking low contrast sample.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:19 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: The Raven
I hope the new Corona has addressed some of the common Hitec criticisms: not enough model memories and handles that break. I need a new radio and will wait for the Corona, if it's not up to scratch I'm going JR.
If Hitec's previous record is anything to go by, I would strongly advise against buying any new product until it's had at least 6-months use by others. The chances are very high that there *will* be bugs and some of them could be fatal to your models.

They don't call it "the bleeding edge" for nothing.

And remember, Hitec's transmitters are made very much to a price (hence the lousy plastic and compromised functionality). Unless it's your first-radio there will doubtless be much better choices out there for those who want to do more than very basic models.

There's a reason you don't see many expensive models flown with Hitec transmitters.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:24 PM
The Raven

I have no problem with how the transmitters work. Other than the memory count being compairably low they provide all the functionality I'd expect from any other brand of radio. The performance of my radios have been flawless.

Yes, they are a little cheaper to buy than others but that's no excuse to skimp on near zero cost improvements like a decent memory count and sturdy handle mount. It costs near nothing at the design phases, or subsequent mod, to resolve these issues. Ignoring them just annoys end users.

You can have the best radio in the world but if the prospective purchaser got frustrated by the handle breakages (or some other simple fault) you can bet he'll look for a radio that doesn't have that problem next purchase.

As for buying the Corona, I will be waiting a few months to see what happens. There is no way I want to deal with issues such as those the early Optics had.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

I believe that I will eventually switch brands. I am eyeing the jr 7 channel. Or maybe just the futaba 7c
Old 08-06-2007, 08:29 PM
aussiesteve

Hopefully for those that have a large investment in HT gear, they'll sort out the case issues on future models.
IMHO, the basic electronics are good on their radios but the Cases let them down (module fitting, breaking handles & charge jack areas).
If you plan on changing brands in the future, remember that there may be compatability issues to deal with for your Rx's etc. I've just been through it and have purchased 2 x Tx's, and 30 new receivers so far (I use PCM which is brand specific) all those receivers are 6 or more channels (most were the PCM version of the Supreme 8s and were changed to JR R2100's mostly) - it was not a cheap exercise but the risk of the cost of losing just one plane due to Tx damage making that decision was one that I am comfortable with.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:21 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: Cambo

I believe that I will eventually switch brands. I am eyeing the jr 7 channel. Or maybe just the futaba 7c
I strongly recommend you spend a little more and go for the 9-channel versions (Futaba 9C or JR 9303) because these have a removable frequency module. That'll allow you to upgrade to 2.4GHz or add a synth module if you want. The smaller 7-channel unts are fixed-frequency with no upgrade path. And, even though you might not think so now, you *will* eventually want more than 7 channels!

One of the reason I just bought a JR 9X II is because neither my Optic 6 nor my Eclipse 7 have enough channels to really do my 50cc Extra gasser justice. That thing as *three* Y-leads because I'm short of channels. The 9-channel set will make life so much easier.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:32 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

Hopefully for those that have a large investment in HT gear, they'll sort out the case issues on future models.
IMHO, the basic electronics are good on their radios but the Cases let them down (module fitting, breaking handles & charge jack areas).
There are too many irritating limitations (for me) with the Hitec transmitter electronics.

1. Not enough model memories (6/7 models is *not* enough these days).
2. No real switch assignability (that's a pain)
3. No separate DR switch (on the O6) for rudder -- you have to switch rudder and elevator together)
4. Lousy ergonomics on the E7. Those rotary knobs stick amongst all those switches is just stupid when compared to the nice sliders on the O6 -- but then again the O6 is short of channels.
5. In Acro mode you can't have split elevators *and* a switch-operated retract capability.

There are a whole lot more irritations -- but those were enough to convince me I'd outgrown my Hitec stuff.

If you plan on changing brands in the future, remember that there may be compatability issues to deal with for your Rx's etc. I've just been through it and have purchased 2 x Tx's, and 30 new receivers so far (I use PCM which is brand specific) all those receivers are 6 or more channels (most were the PCM version of the Supreme 8s and were changed to JR R2100's mostly) - it was not a cheap exercise but the risk of the cost of losing just one plane due to Tx damage making that decision was one that I am comfortable with.
I'm a whole lot luckier. I only had two QPCM receivers -- and the first one was from a faulty batch (not recalled even though the fault was acknowledged by Hitec -- ugh!) which I've never gotten around to returning for replacement. All the rest have been DSP-based receivers with auto-shift select and which are compatible with JR, Futaba and Hitec.

The compatibility issue is greater for those of us on 72MHz because of the shift difference with FM/PPM receivers so I'm glad I didn't fork out good money for Hitec FM receivers. Knowing my luck I'd have ended up with a bunch of those faulty Electron 6 receivers that would fail when they got hot (another faulty batch of Hitec product that was never recalled so retailers kept selling them and as a result, unsuspecting modellers kept crashing planes, even after the problem was identified by Hitec)
Old 08-07-2007, 01:49 AM
4*60

Quote: These cases aren't flimsy but Hitec could have very easily made the handle areas stronger for next to no cost. You don't hear/see this handle problem on other brands of radio.

Several Hitec handles in our club, sub zero temps and quite warm temps and no handle problems seen here. Anyway you are right I have not seen many handle problems with other manufacturers . I did however see many hundreds? of posts regarding radios for sale(Futaba?) with broken switches or posts on how do I replace switches or posts on how easy it is to replace broken switches with Radio Shack/the source parts.

They all have their problems, I imagine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.