Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Major Glitch in a Futaba SS system!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 03:55 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Major Glitch in a Futaba SS system!!

I am the last to claim expert status on electric helicopters - although I have seen them. Obviously, this won't work FOR THEM. For the vast majority of pilots, it will work fine. I will be doing it, because it is the easiest way to avoid shooting someone else down.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:06 PM
GrayUK

newshoundaussie

This 'Rumour' is well known in Europe with regard to the Spektrum system.
I was in a Model shop the other day and the owner knew about it and various people have spoken to me about it.

It is of no great interest to me as I have no wish to buy or operate a Spektrum system.
I mentioned it as a comparator for levels of screw up!

Below is an email sent to me from a good source.
You can take it as you wish, it will all come out one way or another soon anyway.

Paul;

I have downloaded the harmonized EU regulations and the FCC regulations and read them thoroughly.

Even with the Ofcom waiver to allow Spektrum to be a digital data transmitter and not a radio control unit, no Spektrum product meets that relaxed standard either due to the 10 mW per MHz PSD requirement. So you are correct, no Spektrum transmitter ever sold in the EU is legal - unless some were programmed as 10 mW. Additionally, two channels is not frequency hopping and never will be. Spektrum will not get away with claiming their system is frequency hopping.

Here in the USA, Spektrum is completely legal at 200 mW EIRP. The limit is 1 watt conducted and 4 watts EIRP. I assume that they will continue to sell DSM2 stuff to support the American market for some time. I assume that they will eventually phase out the current line. I don't know how they are going to market that !

Futaba and Airtronics/Sanwa did their homework. Their systems are probably going to be sold worldwide. They are hybrid DSSS/FHSS systems and a decade better technology than DSM2. I am waiting to see if Airtronics is actually new or sub-licensed from Futaba ? They said they use the same dual micro coax antennas. I keep checking the FCC website for a new Airtronics.

Paul
Old 01-18-2008, 04:06 PM
d_wheel

ORIGINAL: alfredh

Simply not true.

I have been teaching students to turn their receiver on first for years. After those who disagree see why, they soon join in. Here are the steps all newbies are taught:

1. Walk down the pit row and flight line and ask if anyone else is on your frequency.
2. Place your card on the frequency board.
3. Secure your aircraft.
4. Switch on the receiver and watch the control surfaces. If they start moving about erratically, double check that someone else isn't on your channel. If the surfaces start moving as if under control, double check that someone else isn't on your frequency.
5. After all checks pass in step 4, turn on your transmitter while watching the aircraft in flight. Listen for someone yelling that they have lost control. Turn transmitter off at any sign of trouble to aircraft in flight.
6. Start engine (arm motor) and go fly.

These steps have prevented several shoot downs at our flying field.

Later;

D.W.
Just don't use that method with electrical helicopters, or you might just have to call the Ambulance.
As long as you have a way to disarm the motor (step 6) it still works fine with helis. As a matter of fact, I have 3 electric helicopters and use it with all of them.

Later;

D.W.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:09 PM
rg

I just tested 3 of my TM-7 modules to see if they would connect to two new unbound 607 rx's and one module connected to both receivers, the other modules will not connect, I think I have a module with a zero GUID, and I think I have been lucky as this is the only module I have flown with yet!!!!. Sorry should have added I purchased all 3 modules in the US and I am wondering where do I stand with regard to warranty.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:11 PM
GrayUK

RG

Not good []

Get it back to Ripmax.

Paul
Old 01-18-2008, 04:15 PM
pemiller

I received the email below from Hobbico Tech Support.
How did someone determine there was a problem if only one transmitter was faulty?
Something doesn't make sense . .

Paul

Hello, Thanks for your email.

We have found this information to be true on only one radio so far.

If you would like to have your transmitter looked at and evaluated for this you can send it in for out tech's to look at or you can wait until they visit certain hobby shops for evaluation.

Futaba Service Center
3002 N. Apollo Dr.
Suite 1
Champaign, IL 61822

Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at this email address. (Please be sure to copy all previous emails into any future questions.) You can also reach our product support technical team at 217-398-8970, or via fax at 217-398-7721.

DID YOU KNOW that our web pages now all contain FAQs? (Frequently asked questions) Please drop by and take a look! We hope you'll find the information helpful and valuable to you.

Thanks Again,

Rich A.
Product Support
Old 01-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Teachu2

ORIGINAL: rg

I just tested 3 of my TM-7 modules to see if they would connect to two new unbound 607 rx's and one module connected to both receivers, the other modules will not connect, I think I have a module with a zero GUID, and I think I have been lucky as this is the only module I have flown with yet!!!!
Bingo! You must be a dealer?
Old 01-18-2008, 04:17 PM
GrayUK

Ripmax have a device to read the GUID.
Hobbico may have the same.

Paul
Old 01-18-2008, 04:23 PM
rg

GrayUK,

The modules were purchased in Florida while I was on holiday and I don't know if Ripmax will stand by this product even though it appears to be a worldwide service advisory from Futaba, I have emailed Futaba US to see if I am covered, hopefully someone from Futaba US is online and will reply.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:24 PM
pemiller

Paul,

I purchased my unit in the US, but I now live in the UK.
How available are the test units from Ripmax in the UK?

Cheers!

Paul
Old 01-18-2008, 04:31 PM
Teachu2

My LHS got a call this morning from Hobbico that stated they were shipping a test setup out ASAP and it should be in the LHS middle of next week. No other details as to what equipment or proceedure, just that it will be fast to test FASST. Hobbico also stated that they would provide a UPS call tag for anyone who wants theirs checked by Hobby Services, so Hobbico will pay shipping both ways up front.

Considering how much needed to happen on both sides of the world, Futaba is moving very quickly to address the issue. Of course, this is a Band-aid for the present - they still have to figure out how to fix the cause. I suspect the current units will be upgraded free of charge when they determine how to fix it (just guessing!).

I have extra rxs that haven't been linked. I'll be taking one to the field this weekend and setting it up just to see if anyone's Tx works it. Of course, that'll only find ZGUIDs, not tell if someone has a duplicate GUID.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:33 PM
pemiller

So how did Hobbico determine ONE unit had a failure?

Hmmm?
Old 01-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Teachu2

GrayUK,

The modules were purchased in Florida while I was on holiday and I don't know if Ripmax will stand by this product even though it appears to be a worldwide service advisory from Futaba, I have emailed Futaba US to see if I am covered, hopefully someone from Futaba US is online and will reply.
I'd bet big money that Futaba will instruct their distributors to take care of all Futaba customers. They are in full damage-control mode, trying to salvage goodwill.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:46 PM
rg

I Hope they will, my worry now is did the module come with a zero Guid or did it develop fault as i have now have Futaba 2.4 in five models some very expensive, I would like to be sure which it was!!!!
Old 01-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Teachu2

I Hope they will, my worry now is did the module come with a zero Guid or did it develop fault as i have now have Futaba 2.4 in five models some very expensive, I would like to be sure which it was!!!!
If you have had to link each rx ONCE when new and not since, you are fine. If you never had to link, or had to relink all of them one day, you are affected.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:04 PM
rg

I had to re-link this module once, when that was mentioned in the service advisory I took notice and checked all my 2.4 gear, has anybody done any testing on their equipment, I'd like to know how wide spread this really is, it does not appear to just be an isolated problem as Futaba appear to suggest.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Teachu2

If you have access to a new, unlinked rx, you could try it with your Tx. If it works without linking it, your Tx is ZGUID. I'd send it in.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: Teachu2

GrayUK,

I'd bet big money that Futaba will instruct their distributors to take care of all Futaba customers. They are in full damage-control mode, trying to salvage goodwill.
Full damage control? The two Futaba reps. here on RCU have answered 1 radio related question each today.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Teachu2

ORIGINAL: Hill202

GrayUK,

Full damage control? The two Futaba reps. here on RCU have answered 1 radio related question each today.
Yep - most of the dealers don't hang out here, so Futaba reps are calling every dealer in the country (world?) to update them. The two Futaba reps. here on RCU have lots to do at the moment. Kinda like when the city is ablaze, it's hard to get a ladder truck and six firemen to get the kitty out of the tree..............
Old 01-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Hill202

I thought you made a good suggestion in the Futaba forum. The last I looked they have not responded at all. Do they not realize how many are watching and trying to decide if its time for a change?

I wonder how many on here today did the math to see what it was going to cost to change. I sure did.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Teachu2

I also PM'd that to Bax, and he read it this morning. They are up to their necks in alligators at the moment, and I'm sure they will drain the swamp as soon as possible.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:06 PM
DougV

Change to what?
Old 01-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Hill202

A different radio system. Although I've read that JR has thier issues as well. The high end Futabas seem safe...
Old 01-18-2008, 07:17 PM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I am ordering my Futaba Fasst Radio tomorow, so next summer when I crash (due to dumb thumbs) I can exclaim loudly: I LOST MY GUID I LOST MY GUID!
Old 01-18-2008, 08:06 PM
d_wheel

Do electric helis not have a seperate switch to arm the motor?
Yes and no. The only one I own that does not is a CX2. I still turn on the receiver first (connect the battery pack) out of habit and it just sits quietly waiting for me to turn the transmitter on. The other 2 (600mm size) have [link=http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=5527]this arming switch[/link] which allows me to hold the rotor head firmly while arming. Much like holding on when starting a nitro heli just in case of a hot start. It really worries me when I see people connecting their battery pack with both hands while their head, arms, and upper body are in the plane of rotation of the main rotor. With my method, I at least have a chance to hold on and get things shut down if there is a problem.

All of the 450 size and smaller electrics that I have seen will not allow the 'receiver on first' scenario as their motor is armed at the same time as the receiver. Folks who fly systems without a dedicated receiver/servo pack will have to figure out a different way to accomplish the task.

Later;

D.W.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.