Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Major Glitch in a Futaba SS system!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 08:57 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Major Glitch in a Futaba SS system!!

It is easy to check for zero in software and refuse to transmit. Zero should be considered an invalid number. There are probably other invalid numbers.

Bill
Old 01-18-2008, 09:52 AM
GrayUK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It Is true to say that this is a pain in the ar$e but at least Futaba have acknowledged it (contrary to what was believed by some).
As has been said, this is not really a 2.4 issue, the FASST system works perfectly, and I will continue to fly with confidence. I am in fact just about to order my next set.
But it is a problem and I am sure Futaba will resolve it.
Out of the 2 main systems available I still believe the FASST will be dominant in the end.
If the rumours I hear about the Spektrum system are true they will present an even bigger issue for all that have invested in it. I have heard a rumour that they are dropping the system they are using and switching to a similar system to FASST.
This will mean all sets purchased will be old and incompatible with the new sets!
I have also heard that the current sets of Spektrum are actually illegal in Europe, so all that have them may find they cannot legally use them. I do not know if that applies to the USA, as I am not sure of the legal power output/ transmission methods regulations.

If this is all turns out to be true then the FASST problem will appear very insignificant!

Paul
Old 01-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Flying Geezer
My Feedback: (14)

I am confident that Futaba is on top of this problem, and are studying it carefully to be sure what fixes are needed. They may be different in native TX's and modules. The problem may be different from model to model, and I am sure this is leading them to check for other problems. They will recall every unit if necessary. They just have to. I expect they are very busy.
I'm sure that want to fix this completely, the first time, on every model and module. That must protect their BRAND, it's valuable.

Whatever problems Spectrum/JR may have, will be corrected.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:55 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: GrayUK

It Is true to say that this is a pain in the ar$e but at least Futaba have acknowledged it (contrary to what was believed by some).
As has been said, this is not really a 2.4 issue, the FASST system works perfectly, and I will continue to fly with confidence. I am in fact just about to order my next set.
But it is a problem and I am sure Futaba will resolve it.
Out of the 2 main systems available I still believe the FASST will be dominant in the end.
If the rumours I hear about the Spektrum system are true they will present an even bigger issue for all that have invested in it. I have heard a rumour that they are dropping the system they are using and switching to a similar system to FASST.
This will mean all sets purchased will be old and incompatible with the new sets!
I have also heard that the current sets of Spektrum are actually illegal in Europe, so all that have them may find they cannot legally use them. I do not know if that applies to the USA, as I am not sure of the legal power output/ transmission methods regulations.

If this is all turns out to be true then the FASST problem will appear very insignificant!

Paul
This is a good rumor - meaning -it has all the qualifications of a rumor.
So I am storing it in my Rumor box -to take out and look at every now and again. Weird stuff
But as long as we are doing rumors -----
In Europe -there are regs which change from country to country- what systems can survive the test -or the payoff to the regulators there -is anybodies guess.
If it were not for the JR acceptance of the present setups of Spektrum - I would say that - perhaps another system could be in the wings - but all in all , why?
Spektrum really has features the other guys can't /won't haven't used
the Model Match -is still-in my book - a very strong feature .
The various updates of the Spektrum rx are indications -to me - that Spektrum has no desire to simply toss their setup in the can and revert to the FASST.

But - let's say they added the skipping setup to a coded signal (don't ask me how ) so that the proprietary features and a skipping setup become blended .
What would be the NET gain--
Selling this system to others on a royalty basis?
Possible ? Probable.?
The present Futable debacle , is just one of the things about Futaba I find interesting - also the switch thing -- any solid valid , sensible answer is avoided - I really had no idea that the 14 Futaba had a "be careful with the switch" caveat.
to me that is totally unforgivable in a consumer product
Apparently some guys actually believe it is simply an indication of a superior , advanced setup -
There are too many really advanced devices on the market to give this any credence - in my book
look at all the 2.4 hand held devices being sold
The operators fingers fly over these thing - from 8 year olds on up -and no combos of inputs , shut em down - that would be the gaffe of the year - sales would stop.

So I will just wait n see -
I think all of the systems MUST somehow improve ( improvements foster improvements ) and so far -Spektrum is the ONLY one which has held to a up/down compatible system - For them to change this basic concept -is to me - very unlikely.
Something to add to your rumor file as -I simply made it all up.
Based on things as they seem to me

Old 01-18-2008, 11:54 AM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

ORIGINAL: Teachu2

Once everyone has checked against a ZGUID rx with Txs that are already linked to their flight packs, they are safe. A defective ZGUID Tx will only shoot down another flier if his system is linked to ZGUID. NOBODY should be on ZGUID - so a failure should show up when anyone's Tx no longer operates their linked rx. If someone gets shot down, they either 1) never bothered to check to see if their system was ZGUID or 2) ignored the failure designator (Tx no longer works rx) and relinked their system after a failure to ZGUID. Since nobody should be on ZGUID, I think it's the guy who is FLYING a ZGUID system who assumes all the risk.

There IS a MUCH simpler way to be safe- TURN THE PLANE ON FIRST, give it a few seconds, and if the servos start moving DON'T TURN ON THE TX! YOU ARE A ZGUID SYSTEM and there is another one ALREADY FLYING!!!!! This actually works for ANY GUID conflict - like if the factory accidentally duplicated a non-zero GUID. Just have to make sure your motor isn't armed on an electric.
The problem is why we have to do the extra check with Futaba FASST, not with other 2.4Ghz products, not with 72mhz equipment (assume a pin is on hand)?

If someone forgot the check and shot down a plane, whose fault it is?

Do we want each local club to adopt such a procedure?
The problem is why we have to do the extra check with Futaba FASST, not with other 2.4Ghz products, not with 72mhz equipment (assume a pin is on hand)? Because FASST is suspect at this time. Why can't we carry boxcutters on airliners?

If someone forgot the check and shot down a plane, whose fault it is? The guy who gets shot down - he either never checked his system or relinked after failure.

Do we want each local club to adopt such a procedure? Heck YES until this issue is resolved. What's so hard about turning on your plane first to AVOID CRASHES? Takes 5 seconds and no additional equipment, cost or training. Turn on the plane - if the servos move around, there is a conflict.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:18 PM
togatoga
My Feedback: (42)

Looks like RCU has a lot people with hidden agendas and possums from different camps. Guess most of us know who they are.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:07 PM
bgold

Taking your radio to a LHS to be checked seems quite reasonable, once it has been OK'D and you have a need to rebind your system you need to consider it defective. That seems pretty simple. I am hoping Futaba will have a fix for the potential resetting the GUID if in fact that turns out to be possible and that the fix will be soon.

Bill
Old 01-18-2008, 01:31 PM
P47Tbolt
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: LANNYBOB

i'll stay with band 72 f.m. seems to be working just fine for eighty years. i've scanned through every thread and still dont know what the problem is. can you explain it like im five.

I am with Lannybob.No problems from my 9CAP synthesized.And as soon as
everyone switches to 2.4,nobody will be on my channels.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:39 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: Julez
This might well be true.

What do you think about the following idea, XJet: Using a transistor for the power supply of the module. First, you switch on the TX. Then, you press a button which gives the voltage to the signal pin of the transistor. It switches on the module without any switch bounce. The voltage at the module is now used to hold the transistor in the on-position. This kind of circuit is called "self-holding", maybe "self-sustanining", in Germany, Im sorry I dont know the exact english term.
What you're describing is called a latch in English.

This would work if the sole cause of the problem is switch-bounce -- which is actually rather unlikely -- since there will be a fairly decent sized amount of capacitance in the power circuitry anyway which means that a momentary switch bounce should effectively be filtered out.

A simple(r) solution *might* be to just add a reasonably sized (2,200uF) capacitor on the transmitter side of the power switch -- this would "fill in the gaps" that might be caused by any contact bounce on the switch. However, slide-switches aren't know for switch bounce anyway -- since they have sliding contacts rather than ones which are pushed together in a manner that would create a rebound effect.

I'm still picking that the problem is also potentially caused by an interrupted write cycle during the timer update to EEPROM -- which is most likely to happen during premature (or otherwise) power-down. Fixing that will require circuitry and software to detect the rapid voltage fall which follows the switch being turned off or the use of a soft-power switch that triggers and orderly shutdown routine before actually disconnecting the power.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Teachu2

ORIGINAL: P47Tbolt

ORIGINAL: LANNYBOB

i'll stay with band 72 f.m. seems to be working just fine for eighty years. i've scanned through every thread and still dont know what the problem is. can you explain it like im five.

I am with Lannybob.No problems from my 9CAP synthesized.And as soon as
everyone switches to 2.4,nobody will be on my channels.
Except that kid who got a $59 airplane for Christmas...........
Old 01-18-2008, 02:00 PM
bradpaul

The idea of turning on the airframe first is JUST WONT WORK AND IS DANGEROUS.

First it goes against everything we have been taught..... you turn on the TX first.

Secondly it ignores the very very dangerous issue that an electric powered model could go full throttle as soon as the main power is connected. I don't even want to think about what might happen in that case........... unless the model was fully secured.

Brad
Old 01-18-2008, 02:04 PM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Most of the toy, $59 foamie stuff I have seen is not on 72mz, alot of it is some 2.4 system. Has anyone actually done a study of this supposed danger from the PF stuff to see what is really on the market that conflicts with 72 stuff. Never had an issue in my area.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:14 PM
shakes268

I've seen on several accounts where some kids were near the field with land based systems running 72 MHz because they just didn't know better. They may have gotten a toy car, upgraded to a different electric motor, thought it was cool to upgrade receivers or something - however it happened - I've seen it.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Teachu2

ORIGINAL: bradpaul

First it goes against everything we have been taught..... you turn on the TX first.

Secondly it ignores the very very dangerous issue that an electric powered model could go full throttle as soon as the main power is connected. I don't even want to think about what might happen in that case........... unless the model was fully secured.

Brad
Baloney - anyone ever explain WHY when they taught you to turn your Tx on first? It was tradition based on ancient, long-obsolete technology. You are in no danger of unwinding the rubber on your escapement with a 2.4 system.

As stated in earlier post : Just have to make sure your motor isn't armed on an electric. That is something electric fliers should do anyway. Read the electrics forum, and see how many have learned that the hard way, and on 72mhz.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:22 PM
rmh

ORIGINAL: XJet

ORIGINAL: Julez
This might well be true.

What do you think about the following idea, XJet: Using a transistor for the power supply of the module. First, you switch on the TX. Then, you press a button which gives the voltage to the signal pin of the transistor. It switches on the module without any switch bounce. The voltage at the module is now used to hold the transistor in the on-position. This kind of circuit is called "self-holding", maybe "self-sustanining", in Germany, Im sorry I dont know the exact english term.
What you're describing is called a latch in English.

This would work if the sole cause of the problem is switch-bounce -- which is actually rather unlikely -- since there will be a fairly decent sized amount of capacitance in the power circuitry anyway which means that a momentary switch bounce should effectively be filtered out.

A simple(r) solution *might* be to just add a reasonably sized (2,200uF) capacitor on the transmitter side of the power switch -- this would "fill in the gaps" that might be caused by any contact bounce on the switch. However, slide-switches aren't know for switch bounce anyway -- since they have sliding contacts rather than ones which are pushed together in a manner that would create a rebound effect.

I'm still picking that the problem is also potentially caused by an interrupted write cycle during the timer update to EEPROM -- which is most likely to happen during premature (or otherwise) power-down. Fixing that will require circuitry and software to detect the rapid voltage fall which follows the switch being turned off or the use of a soft-power switch that triggers and orderly shutdown routine before actually disconnecting the power.

An FET--add power - turn it on --it stays powered up even tho voltage may move about - then disconnect it (properly) when thru playing
I guess you could call this an electronic example of a mechanical relay with holding contacts
I think --tho I could be wrong -- the rx on another system uses a similiar setup-
Old 01-18-2008, 02:25 PM
newshoundaussie

ORIGINAL: GrayUK

ddaveb

The FASST system does not check available frequencies before transmitting, it does not have to.
It only spends 2ms on any one before moving.
The RX is in sync with it and they hop along together.
If it arrives on a frequency that is occupied then it just hops again, it is invisible to the operator.
The other system that may have been on that frequency when it arrived will ignore the 2ms of interference because the GUID does not match.
Basically it relies on the GUID to ensure that only your TX can talk to your RX.
In this case we have some TX's on the same code, so, if they arrive together on one frequency it is possible for the rx to start following the wrong tx.

That is in layman’s terms but I think it explains the situation.

Now, as we have seen from the failure at our field, one TX and RX functioned perfectly, EVEN THOUGH there was another TX on the same GUID.
The other however started to follow the wrong one and control was lost.

ShineyObject
Please explain your statement.
I am giving facts that I have available, as soon as I have them.

Paul
Yes but you are spreading rumors latter on in this thread about other manufactures before you have the facts!
Old 01-18-2008, 02:38 PM
d_wheel

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

So I will just wait n see -
Will you promise to wait QUIETLY????

Later;

D.W.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:56 PM
d_wheel

Brad
Simply not true.

I have been teaching students to turn their receiver on first for years. After those who disagree see why, they soon join in. Here are the steps all newbies are taught:

1. Walk down the pit row and flight line and ask if anyone else is on your frequency.
2. Place your card on the frequency board.
3. Secure your aircraft.
4. Switch on the receiver and watch the control surfaces. If they start moving about erratically, double check that someone else isn't on your channel. If the surfaces start moving as if under control, double check that someone else isn't on your frequency.
5. After all checks pass in step 4, turn on your transmitter while watching the aircraft in flight. Listen for someone yelling that they have lost control. Turn transmitter off at any sign of trouble to aircraft in flight.
6. Start engine (arm motor) and go fly.

These steps have prevented several shoot downs at our flying field.

Later;

D.W.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:03 PM
alfredh

Simply not true.

I have been teaching students to turn their receiver on first for years. After those who disagree see why, they soon join in. Here are the steps all newbies are taught:

1. Walk down the pit row and flight line and ask if anyone else is on your frequency.
3. Secure your aircraft.
4. Switch on the receiver and watch the control surfaces. If they start moving about erratically, double check that someone else isn't on your channel. If the surfaces start moving as if under control, double check that someone else isn't on your frequency.
5. After all checks pass in step 4, turn on your transmitter while watching the aircraft in flight. Listen for someone yelling that they have lost control. Turn transmitter off at any sign of trouble to aircraft in flight.

Later;

D.W.
Just don't use that method with electrical helicopters, or you might just have to call the Ambulance.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:07 PM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Sahkes I am sure it has happened, but my question was and still is, how much of the toy stuff people will try to fly in parks, ie not at a regular RC field but maybe to close, is being sold on 72mz? I don't see it now at either the discount chains or in the hobby shops, all seems to some cheaper 2.4 gear, speaking of planes that come complete with radios.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Teachu2

ORIGINAL: k3 valley flyer

Sahkes I am sure it has happened, but my question was and still is, how much of the toy stuff people will try to fly in parks, ie not at a regular RC field but maybe to close, is being sold on 72mz? I don't see it now at either the discount chains or in the hobby shops, all seems to some cheaper 2.4 gear, speaking of planes that come complete with radios.
I believe you are mistaken. Until very recently, all the toy stuff was on 27Mhz. Last Christmas saw a large portion on 72mhz. I have yet to see a toy airplane on 2.4.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:28 PM
Teachu2

ORIGINAL: alfredh

Simply not true.

3. Secure your aircraft.

Later;

D.W.
Just don't use that method with electrical helicopters, or you might just have to call the Ambulance.
Do electric helis not have a seperate switch to arm the motor?
Old 01-18-2008, 03:30 PM
shakes268

Not usually.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:39 PM
bradpaul

I can see the experts here have never seen an electric helicopter.

You turn on the TX first.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:50 PM
rmh

I can see the experts here have never seen an electric helicopter.

You turn on the TX first.
Well "Expert" is kind - and -you are right
on the 2.4 especially the electrics TX is first - then hook in the rx- really the best method- I can't speak for all ESC/ RX combos
On my foamies / larger electric powered stuff -- same - RX first
On any of my 2.4 Spektrum setups however _I have never had a bad experience hooking up either way and there is also no rx/servo action ever , just having rx on - I left one on, all afternoon - at the field - no movement -and a number of other 2.4 Spektrums were operating.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.