Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Your thoughts after reading JR 12X manual

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Your thoughts after reading JR 12X manual

There is no external wire on the module version. This is the 12MV I held one and flew it last weekend. The antenna is attached to the module for the DSM2.

The 1221 and 1222 are both 12 channel RX's

Troy Newman
Team JR
Old 05-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Stuart D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the lack of detail re the stick position trigger has me a little worried . I have been using the 9309 since they came out
and I do need to up date pretty soon but to have the stick trigger and not make much of a fuss tells me it may be just the
same as the 9309 .

It does appear to be very much the same as the 9309 which is a good thing however I am at a point where my radio
does not support all the functions I require so at first glance the 12X seems to be a 9309 with some extra chanels and
a little more functions . I think I will wait and see .

Stu
Old 05-12-2008, 12:53 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably the 12x manual is adequate if you have the transmitter and can play with the menus. As a selling document, it leaves a lot unexplained. For example, the default switch for throttle hold is the Mix switch. The manual doesn't show what the other switch options are.

In my years of R/C I have never needed more than six channels and cannot envision ever using more than eight. I have found no major limitations to the 9303. The better gimbals, faster response, magnesium housing, and the prestige of owning the top of the line JR transmitter are selling points but I am not yet sold on paying the price of the 12x.

Allan
Old 05-12-2008, 02:40 PM
airwayman
My Feedback: (2)

I have found no major limitations to the 9303. The better gimbals, faster response, magnesium housing, and the prestige of owning the top of the line JR transmitter are selling points but I am not yet sold on paying the price of the 12x.
Nothing spoils a temptation like time. If they don't hurry up and get the damn thing on the market I may lose my desire. I'm with the masses, my 9303s are darn good radios. Now why would I spend that much extra cash just to scratch my ego? I talked myself out of a new car this year by sleeping on it. I may do the same for a 12X. I'm going to Joe Nall and hold one. To wilt or not to wilt, that is the question.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:53 AM
DLEVETT
My Feedback: (13)

I,m in for one of these.
My LHS has my order for one, my price is $1450.
I bought 2 additional Specktrum 9100,s and will recieve 2 more recievers with the promotion.
Therefore I,m getting what amounts to $440 in needed recievers for free[ I,m just switching over to 2.4]
So my cost is $1010 for this radio system.
Plus a case and datasafe. Its a good deal when its all added up, assuming you like JR radios.

Dave
Old 05-17-2008, 05:14 AM
airwayman

[quote]ORIGINAL: airwayman

I'm going to Joe Nall and hold one. To wilt or not to wilt, that is the question.
I went to Joe Nall, I held one. I'm in love. Who cares about money when you're in love?
Old 05-17-2008, 08:35 AM
victorzamora

That's the way most things work. I'm a high-school senior, living in NC, about to go to college to major in Aerospace Engineering. NC State is a good school you say? I agree. But I'm about to make my parents shell-out the extra cash for Virginia Tech (though that may sound spoiled) because I absolutely fell in love with the campus. A lot of cars scratched my fancy, but I definitely had a first choice once my 18th birthday came around....because I fell in love.

My point is that it's all about what you want. I like Futaba because my dad told me stories of how much he loved his Futabas when he was young, so I've always been a little biased towards Futaba. It's what I learned to program and I've been pretty proficient since the day I learned. It's just a matter of learning Futaba's "language," and then they all become intuitive. I learned to program a T6XA and have been completely fine with my 7CAP, 6EX's, a 9CAP, a 9CAPS, 9Z. Once you learn it, it's really not an issue. I've tried programming a 9303 before but I really had little time to do it. I must say that I don't find it easier, I simply find it different. PJ Tank Pilot said it was the difference between task oriented and function oriented programming. He may have a very good point there. I just feel like for a little extra work I can really get my Futabas to do whatever I want them to do. At the moment, however, I'm considering trading my 72MHz Futaba for a 2.4GHz JR. Again, I love the looks of the JR (and its solid feel)...but I don't think I'll like the feel of the 10c (might be wrong)...but I don't like having to set-up 2 Rx's at 90* of each other (quirky, I know).

My point, I guess, is that competitors in a market like this are going to compete. The 9303 and the 10c are similar, 12x and 12z, spektrum 7 and 7c, etc.

My piece on the actual topic? Programming a JR I'd imagine is much like a Futaba...you know one and you'll get the other. It seems like the differences have been more than thoroughly explained. The only question remaining is if you, as the consumer, think the $900 difference between the 9303 and the 12x is worth having a newer radio, with a couple more bells and whistles, and getting your ego scratched. I personally love it, but as a soon-to-be-college-student, I don't have the money. I do have to say that if I had it, it'd be high on my list of priorities. Sorry if I was off topic, but I had to give my $0.02 on the situation since it seems like everyone else is.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:36 AM
victorzamora

forgot to hit "send e-mail notifications"[:@]
Old 05-17-2008, 10:21 AM
DLEVETT
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: victorzamora

That's the way most things work. I'm a high-school senior, living in NC, about to go to college to major in Aerospace Engineering. NC State is a good school you say? I agree. But I'm about to make my parents shell-out the extra cash for Virginia Tech (though that may sound spoiled) because I absolutely fell in love with the campus. A lot of cars scratched my fancy, but I definitely had a first choice once my 18th birthday came around....because I fell in love.

My point is that it's all about what you want. I like Futaba because my dad told me stories of how much he loved his Futabas when he was young, so I've always been a little biased towards Futaba. It's what I learned to program and I've been pretty proficient since the day I learned. It's just a matter of learning Futaba's "language," and then they all become intuitive. I learned to program a T6XA and have been completely fine with my 7CAP, 6EX's, a 9CAP, a 9CAPS, 9Z. Once you learn it, it's really not an issue. I've tried programming a 9303 before but I really had little time to do it. I must say that I don't find it easier, I simply find it different. PJ Tank Pilot said it was the difference between task oriented and function oriented programming. He may have a very good point there. I just feel like for a little extra work I can really get my Futabas to do whatever I want them to do. At the moment, however, I'm considering trading my 72MHz Futaba for a 2.4GHz JR. Again, I love the looks of the JR (and its solid feel)...but I don't think I'll like the feel of the 10c (might be wrong)...but I don't like having to set-up 2 Rx's at 90* of each other (quirky, I know).

My point, I guess, is that competitors in a market like this are going to compete. The 9303 and the 10c are similar, 12x and 12z, spektrum 7 and 7c, etc.

My piece on the actual topic? Programming a JR I'd imagine is much like a Futaba...you know one and you'll get the other. It seems like the differences have been more than thoroughly explained. The only question remaining is if you, as the consumer, think the $900 difference between the 9303 and the 12x is worth having a newer radio, with a couple more bells and whistles, and getting your ego scratched. I personally love it, but as a soon-to-be-college-student, I don't have the money. I do have to say that if I had it, it'd be high on my list of priorities. Sorry if I was off topic, but I had to give my $0.02 on the situation since it seems like everyone else is.
Well said!
Old 05-17-2008, 11:30 AM
victorzamora

Thanks! I was afraid I was going to get fussed at for being kind of off-topic.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

When I look at pics of the R1221 or R1222 rx's, I only see 10 output ports. How are these 12 channel rx's if there are only 10 ports?

Jim
Old 06-04-2008, 04:43 AM
airwayman

When I look at pics of the R1221 or R1222 rx's, I only see 10 output ports. How are these 12 channel rx's if there are only 10 ports?
I asked this question in this thread a while back. Apparently some of the ports (2?) are in the ends or sides. Airwayman
Old 06-04-2008, 07:27 AM
Hammbone

O.K., good.
Sorry for reasking. I had skimmed thru the thread, but didn't see where it was asked before.

Thanks, Jim
Old 06-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Troy Newman

All 12 channels have individual ports on the end of the RX. There are also BATT1 and BATT2 ports, and a Bind/Data port.

There are actually 15 ports on the same end of each R1221 RX. 11 of them or vertical like a normal RX and 4 of then are horizontal (across the top of the vertical ports)

They are all labeled and marked independently.

The RX is about the size of the regular 10 channel RX's however I think it is a slightly thicker maybe 2-3mm in order to facilitate the horizontal ports

The 1221 has one main antenna, and 3 remotes. The 921 RX's have 2 antenna on the main unit and a possible 2 more remotes. But the 1221 has only one on the main unit and come with the 3 remotes already installed.

This allows for for better antenna diversity. The purpose use using multiple antennas or remotes is because the signal is such a short wavelength. The antennas are short, and large metal objects on the model can cause signal attenuation problems. The remote antennas can be placed is a wider spread and give a better "Look" to the incoming signal. Futaba has the Long Wiskers to get the antennas further apart and JR/Spektrum technology allow the use of small postage stamp sized remote RX's that can be placed at various distanced away from the main processor. They sell extensions of various lengths for the remotes.9, 12, 24 and I even think there is a 36" This allows you to put "ears" further from the central mass of the model and the metal or dense parts of the model, batteries, engines, servos and other things that can partially block or be in the way signal wise.

Back when we flew 72mhz stuff the antenna was long. If part of it was blocked there was always some part that was unblocked. In the Spektrum technology the 2.4ghz stuff uses the short antennas. These can get blanked by objects like a DA150 or even a Saito 220 in the nose of the model. Antenna diversity means a better connection to the model, more ears in different locations.

Troy Newman
Team JR
Old 06-04-2008, 11:22 AM
airwayman

Back when we flew 72mhz stuff the antenna was long.
You mean way back when we used to ride our horses out to the flying field, tie them up to the safety fence and haul out our old 72 mhz stuff?? Sorry Troy, couldn't resist.

I do have a serious question for you. I have a 2.4 Ghz 9303 w/ a 921 Rx and two satellite Rxes each with it's own tiny little red light to show it's connected, properly bound and has power (I assume). I have a clear canopy and no pilot so I dutifully shield my eyes and peer into the bowels of the airplane to spot the three tiny red lights each time I fly. Should I be doing this or is it over kill? What do people do when they have a pilot installed or use an extension to put one of the satellites in the tail. They surely can't see the lights once the canopy deck is installed. Thanks, Airwayman
Old 06-04-2008, 11:38 PM
darthdecon

i got a 12x coming tomorrow and i can't tell you how excited i am, almost everyone i have talked to that has used a 9303 then went to the 12x has said WOW!
Old 06-12-2008, 02:19 AM
superdave01

Futaba and JR manuals suck at best.

I was Futaba for over 25 years, now JR all the way.

9303 switch assignments ..... When i first got my 9303 i was disapointed at the limited assinability.

After using it ive discovered that you can assign any switch to do anything if you know how.... JR said they didnt know how but i got the things working on my own.

the ONE thing i cant figure out is how to have the timer start at a certain throttle setting...... its the ONLY thing i miss but i wont buy a $1500 radio for that alone.

The 9303 2.4 is the most bang for the buck that i know of ...... Model Match is incredible peace of mind ( yea yea i know your perfect and double check every time and dont need Model Match ) and no i had not crashed because of wrong model and now i cant

I would THINK that by now SOMEONE would have made a interface to change and write mods for firmware in the radios.

Im mean once the radio is computerized the firmware can do anything........ Jr and Futaba limit functions on purpose in there cheaper radios for a reason.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:53 AM
swk550
My Feedback: (76)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I received my 12X yesterday. The sticks are even smoother than my old 10X. I used the snap button on my old 10X and am currently using button on my X9303. I've looked over the 12X Tx and have read the manual on snap function. There does not seem to be any spring loaded snap switch or button on the new 12X. What is the best way to initiate a snap with the timing of a button? Otherwise, I'll need to learn to do the snaps properly by the sticks.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 06-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Troy Newman

Steve,

there are I think 5 possible snap roll programs, and these can be initiated easily from the momentary switches. I have not used the snap roll program.

but there are two Momentary switches each has 3 positions on the top outside corners of the gimbals.

These are also auxiliary trim switches too.

Also you can activate the snap based on stick positions. Like full up elevator turns the snap on and off. You can setup the snap roll program to turn on specific combination of the three sticks. Like 90% up elevator, 80% right aileron, and 100% right rudder. Then you can change the amount of travel that is used in the snap up above. SO its almost like snapping on the sticks, but you can fine tune the amounts of travel needed and the snap roll activation only comes on when all three gimbals reach your defined positions.

Or you can put them on the trim switches.
Like I said you can have 5 programs.

Troy Newman
Team JR
Old 06-16-2008, 05:14 AM
airwayman

Model Match is incredible peace of mind ( yea yea i know your perfect and double check every time and dont need Model Match ) and no i had not crashed because of wrong model and now i cant
Model Match is indeed an incredible leap forward. Along with 2.4 technology, it can, however, have the effect of allowing you to drop your guard. I still have a 72 Mhz 9303. I don't use it much as it's in my old 'beater' Extra. When I do use it I must remind myself to first check the Scan Select setting on the back of the Tx and to make SURE I know what freq. I'm on, and then to get the freq. pin before I turn on the radio and to make sure I've selected the proper model in the Tx and to extend the antenna before takeoff. All of this becomes a distant memory w/ 2.4 Ghz and Model Match and is the primary reason I'm going to sell my 72 mhz 9303 w/ 2 scan select Rxes and a lovely aluminum case. Anybody interested? Airwayman
Old 06-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

This is from the R/C turbine section post I started about data transfer problems and how I solved them.

All ,
before I start I am not that smart of a guy with the internal workings of PC's and software; so I had a friend come over who is once I couldn't get the 12x Data Transfer software to work at home and it did at my job on a very old Dell PC running Windows 2000 the next day perfectlly. Two weeks ago when I got my 12x system I couldn't wait to start using the software to load all of my planes to the TX and have copies on my PC. I tried to install the software that night at home and it just would not work. Here's the short of it after two frustating weeks we found out this evening that not all PC's (mine is a Sony Vaio running windows XP) will let you install and use the software with the TX in the tower usb ports, it just would not work at home not matter what we did with over 50 installation attempts. According to JR Radio Support the drivers are the same for Windows2000 and XP. It allowed us to install the software but not allow the TX to install itself as new hardware once connected to the usb port or sometimes it would but then only send data to the PC from the TX and not from the PC to the TX, and then sometimes not work at all. I work with several JR Team members who have yet to recieve their radios and we all were perplexed as to why this was happening; since we all are composite guys and not softheads. What we and the softheads at my job today figured out is that Sony has some protocall that does not allow certain devices to operate in the towers USB ports. I borrowed and installed a Dynex USB hub from one of the softheads and not only does the software and hardware now install correctlly I got other USB devices that would not work in the past on my PC to work. Looks like it is still a software problem but Sony's or Windows; not JR but at least I have a work around for my PC. Try this if any of you are having simular issues with the program software.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:16 AM
Garthwood

Hi D. Hanson....................I've read all the comments you guys made. I'm not a techno person, some of you guys lost me. I suppose most of you been in this hobby a long time, so I suppose you're always looking and comparing. My years of flying experience is only 5 years,but I've advanced to flying the Goldberg Ultimate 10-300, which is besides the point. I presently have the Futaba 9c and like I said I'm not a tech person. But at times I find myself lost in even trying to program twin elevator servos/mix. with the Futaba 9C if I happen to have a 7 channel rx, too many steps to get to the point.
I have listened to too many opinions of which radio is easier to program....JR or Futaba. Some say Futaba is easier to program others it's JR. With to-day's technology one expects to find a radio that guides you step by step, at least the manual should, but I find that these manuals always confuse the beginner.
My point is I'm looking for my next radio to be easier to program without using too many switches. I'm not bias to Futaba or JR. If Futaba was A and JR was B, is A easier in programming then B without any confusions ?. My choices are either the JR 9303 2.4 or the Futaba 10c 2.4 .
I apologize if my question has nothing to do about this thread. But I see a lot of opinions on this subject. One must appreciate what JR and Futaba are doing for modelers. It will be just impossible to keep everybody happy. But lets not forget about those who don't have years of experience in this great hobby.

Charles.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Hammbone

You should go to your local hobby store and compare the programming of those two radios, and see which one YOU like the best.
Your opinion (no one else's) is the one that matters when deciding which radio you want to purchase.

Jim
Old 06-19-2008, 04:28 PM
Garthwood

ORIGINAL: Hammbone

You should go to your local hobby store and compare the programming of those two radios, and see which one YOU like the best.
Your opinion (no one else's) is the one that matters when deciding which radio you want to purchase.

Jim
Thanks Hammbone....................excellent idea. I'll do that.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:38 PM
airwayman

You should go to your local hobby store and compare the programming of those two radios, and see which one YOU like the best.Your opinion (no one else's) is the one that matters when deciding which radio you want to purchase.
I agree completely.......and I don't want to start a war...........but........in MY opinion..........if you want a radio that is easy to program JR is much easier....for ME.....than Futaba. I sold my Futaba 9ZAP and bought a JR 9303. It was so much friendlier than the Futaba, I bought another 9303. Before placing an order for the 12X I made sure the programming was similar (read easy) to the 9303. Futaba makes great stuff, no doubt about it, I just have a hard time understanding their programming. Airwayman

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.