Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Analog Servos and 2.4 GHz

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 01:06 PM
pilotchute
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Analog Servos and 2.4 GHz

I believe while reading an article in MAN about the new Airtronics 10 channel radio a comment was made that analog servos are not or may not be compatible.

I'm considering 2.4 GHz but I have too many analog servos that would then be trashed if I converted. So, my question are:

Is this (analog compatiblity) an issue on some or all 2.4 radios? I have read little about this so it may not even be an issue. I'm very remote and hands on with the various radios is difficult. If there is an issue, is it by radio manufacturer or model type?

When folks change over to 2.4 do they do it for everything and get out of 72MHz or go to 2.4 for their better planes?

Is there more hype i.e. salesmanship etc. in 2.4 or is the need that significant? Liability, of course is a very real issue, as is protection of a valuable model. Since I fly in a remote area (club) and have thus far not seen, but heard of, interference bringing a plane down, yes, there is risk, but it appears relatively small. Is my assessment valid?

I read a thread in which a member was trying to cut through all the marketing in order to decide which is the best 2.4 radio for him. He too was in a remote area. It appears to me, continuing to follow the different opinions on RCU may be most helpful in making up my mind of which 2.4 radio to buy along with comparison of specs. Hands on is not feasible, so opinions are sure welcome.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:13 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Analog Servos and 2.4 GHz

I have been using Hitec 645MG analog servos with my JR 9303 2.4 system, without a problem. I cannot speak for other 2.4 systems.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:42 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

I have a spektum JR module & spektrum D6i; no problems whatsoever
Old 11-28-2009, 02:17 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pilotchute I believe while reading an article in MAN about the new Airtronics 10 channel radio a comment was made that analog servos are not or may not be compatible. I'm considering 2.4 GHz but I have too many analog servos that would then be trashed if I converted. So, my question are: Is this (analog compatiblity) an issue on some or all 2.4 radios? I have read little about this so it may not even be an issue. I'm very remote and hands on with the various radios is difficult. If there is an issue, is it by radio manufacturer or model type? When folks change over to 2.4 do they do it for everything and get out of 72MHz or go to 2.4 for their better planes?Is there more hype i.e. salesmanship etc. in 2.4 or is the need that significant? Liability, of course is a very real issue, as is protection of a valuable model. Since I fly in a remote area (club) and have thus far not seen, but heard of, interference bringing a plane down, yes, there is risk, but it appears relatively small. Is my assessment valid?I read a thread in which a member was trying to cut through all the marketing in order to decide which is the best 2.4 radio for him. He too was in a remote area. It appears to me, continuing to follow the different opinions on RCU may be most helpful in making up my mind of which 2.4 radio to buy along with comparison of specs. Hands on is not feasible, so opinions are sure welcome.
Main issues are with the voltage used on the signal line causing an issue with both older analog & some digital servos as well as the centerpoints and in the case of older Sanwa/Airtronics servos - the incorrect wiring of the plug. examples:
Servo - Wiring Diagrams = use with other brand RX.
Futaba FAAST - R6014FS receiver - servos do not work or sporadic.
Servo - Compatibility between age and brands
Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Old 11-28-2009, 02:26 PM
rctom

ORIGINAL: pilotchute

I believe while reading an article in MAN about the new Airtronics 10 channel radio a comment was made that analog servos are not or may not be compatible.
Nonsense as far as I can tell, I would like to see some citation as to which servo didn't work and why. The servo can't tell what it's plugged into, it only sees one signal which tells it where to go. The only conceivable difference might be that 2.4 radios can change this servo signal faster than a 72 mhz. radio is able to do, but I've never seen that make a difference.

When folks change over to 2.4 do they do it for everything and get out of 72MHz or go to 2.4 for their better planes?
It depends on your budget, but for me since I first experienced the tight control that I get from using a 2.4 system I have never used any of my 72 mhz. stuff again.

Is there more hype i.e. salesmanship etc. in 2.4 or is the need that significant? Liability, of course is a very real issue, as is protection of a valuable model. Since I fly in a remote area (club) and have thus far not seen, but heard of, interference bringing a plane down, yes, there is risk, but it appears relatively small. Is my assessment valid?
Yes, maybe if you are out in the middle of nowhere you are safe with 72 mhz. But if you are going to buy a radio get one of the newer 2.4 ghz units if for no other reason than resale, 72 mhz. radios are of little to no value now.

I read a thread in which a member was trying to cut through all the marketing in order to decide which is the best 2.4 radio for him. He too was in a remote area. It appears to me, continuing to follow the different opinions on RCU may be most helpful in making up my mind of which 2.4 radio to buy along with comparison of specs. Hands on is not feasible, so opinions are sure welcome.
The 4 main brands are all quite good. I like Hitec Aurora and Futaba the best, but they're all good. The Hitec is less expensive than Futaba so that's what I like but they are all good.

TF
Old 11-28-2009, 03:09 PM
Ponce

With regard to servo compatability with the Aitroncis 10 channel radio, the manual (page 7) notes the following :
"Due to the extremely high frame rate of the 92104 10 channel receiver (included with your SD-10G radio control system) operates at, we strongly recommend the use of digital servos, if you use analog servos and experience problems you will need to upgrade to digital servos or use the Airtronics 8, 7, or 6 channel 2.4 GHz receivers. These receivers operate at a lower frame rate, therefore, analog servos can be used without an issue."
I'm not sure if other brand radios have this problem or can meet the latency performance of the SD-10G radio and the 92104 10 channel receiver.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:48 PM
pilotpete2

A friend has the SD-10G, so I can attest to the fact that the 10 channel receiver does have this limitation. Unfortunately you do not have the option to run the receiver at normal frame rate, as Futaba does on their new generation receivers, also having the high frame rate on all channels is of questionable value.
Pete
Old 11-28-2009, 10:21 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Only the low end sevos are effected by the hi frame rate. I have an SD10-g, and some of my older low end servos (all brands) will not work with the 10 ch receiver, but no problems with the 8 channel receiver. Digitals are not required though. I dont own a single digital servo, but fly only Airtronics 2.4.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:26 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
My 34 year old Futaba S6 servos work just fine with my Spektrum DX-7 , DX-7SE and DX6i radios.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:33 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: TLH101

Only the low end sevos are effected by the hi frame rate. I have an SD10-g, and some of my older low end servos (all brands) will not work with the 10 ch receiver, but no problems with the 8 channel receiver. Digitals are not required though. I dont own a single digital servo, but fly only Airtronics 2.4.
All analog servos work at the same trigger rate. If the frame rate gets too high, it could overstress the output stages and burn out the servo. You had better pay attention to what Airtronics tells you.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an SD-10G and the high frame rate (~110 Hz or 9 ms update rate) does cause problems with some analog servo's. So far, I've had 2 that have failed (on the ground) and around 5 or 6 others (Hitec, JR, Airtronics) that buzz, don't center or have weak output. Worked well with Spectrum previously or, if not totally failed, still work with other systems. But, then, I have other analog servo's that work well with the SD-10G. The high frame rate can't be turned off. On the Futaba HS receivers, I believe you have a choice.