Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Official Smartech Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:54 PM
neb941

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Smartech Thread

The 1st time I had my imitation smartech out it broke 2nd gear found that the one way bearing was seized to the shaft so when it shifted it broke the teeth . The bearing and gear were bad so I got a transmission on eBay for a smartech looked identical to the original tranny except he texture of the plastic frame parts . I got this car on eBay asked the seller if it was a smartech he said it wasn’t but he sells them.It looks just like a sartech pro anyway it cost $135 and has aluminum shocks and a 2 speed. Looked like a good deal but with the new tranny it’s about $175
Old 10-30-2007, 12:14 PM
Dkishton1486

hibityhupla
would these be the gears your talking about?
[link]http://www.redcatracing.com/itemdetail_part.asp?partno=02041[/link]
[link]http://www.redcatracing.com/itemdetail_part.asp?partno=02040[/link]
Old 10-30-2007, 03:07 PM
Dkishton1486

Ok on the shock tower where the long screw goes in and hold the upper a arm in place what size is that? I accidently snapped it off lastnight and trying to find a replacement without buyin from online to save some money. If you need a pic I can try to get one after work. It goes through the shock tower, through the upper a-arm and then into the front diff
Old 10-31-2007, 04:55 PM
JonesE

The only problem I found with my plastic smartech clutch is that it was possibly worn down alot even though I have barely used this car. I have ordered a replacement clutch shoe: Kyosho Inferno MP 7.5 Sports clutch shoes (IF204). I also had to buy a new 5*10*4 bearing as it fell out of my car. Somehow the rear dog bone and universal joint fell off the car and turned it into FWD. I found those 2 parts but could not find a bearing.

I have a question for you smartech gurus. I took my tranny apart to inspect it and noticed the universal joiner conenected to the tranny shaft is very wobbly. The shaft of the tranny is 5mm and the diameter of the inner hole on the universal joiner is 6mm. Obviously this is not going to fit and it makes it very wobbly. Is there a bushing or a replacement part to fix this?

I'm not sure why my car never goes into second gear, maybe its because of mys clutch problems so we will have to see. The screw controlling the 2nd gear is out as far as it can go without binding. Anymore and the screw itself will bind against the metal rod where the tranny clutch shoe catches.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:46 PM
hibityhupla

You will need to start by getting # 02076 . After that you can go to just the gears, but to start with you will need the whole thing and replace your transmissions guts with these. I just went to the website and it says they are in stock and redcat usually gets the parts out pretty fast. When you replace the guts take it all. The only things that should stay stock are the drive cups, brake assembly and case.
ORIGINAL: Dkishton1486

hibityhupla
would these be the gears your talking about?
[link]http://www.redcatracing.com/itemdetail_part.asp?partno=02041[/link]
[link]http://www.redcatracing.com/itemdetail_part.asp?partno=02040[/link]
Old 10-31-2007, 10:50 PM
hibityhupla

neb941- try the redcat tranny # 02076 . It's only around $20 instead of $40. Just replace your guts with the ones from the redcat one. They are a few teeth smaller for more top end too.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:56 PM
hibityhupla

Ok on the shock tower where the long screw goes in and hold the upper a arm in place what size is that? I accidently snapped it off lastnight and trying to find a replacement without buyin from online to save some money. If you need a pic I can try to get one after work. It goes through the shock tower, through the upper a-arm and then into the front diff
I'm not sure man. On my car I have solid metal pins holding my a-arms. Without seeing exactly what your taking about all I can tell you is most of the screws are between 3-4mm.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:10 PM
hibityhupla

ORIGINAL: JonesE

The only problem I found with my plastic smartech clutch is that it was possibly worn down alot even though I have barely used this car. I have ordered a replacement clutch shoe: Kyosho Inferno MP 7.5 Sports clutch shoes (IF204). I also had to buy a new 5*10*4 bearing as it fell out of my car. Somehow the rear dog bone and universal joint fell off the car and turned it into FWD. I found those 2 parts but could not find a bearing.

I have a question for you smartech gurus. I took my tranny apart to inspect it and noticed the universal joiner conenected to the tranny shaft is very wobbly. The shaft of the tranny is 5mm and the diameter of the inner hole on the universal joiner is 6mm. Obviously this is not going to fit and it makes it very wobbly. Is there a bushing or a replacement part to fix this?

I'm not sure why my car never goes into second gear, maybe its because of mys clutch problems so we will have to see. The screw controlling the 2nd gear is out as far as it can go without binding. Anymore and the screw itself will bind against the metal rod where the tranny clutch shoe catches.
The bearing part # is 002147 in the book but if you can't find one just do a search on ebay for "clutch bearing". The universal joiner I'm not sure about. Do you mean the drive cups? If so it might be loose or just not tightened down on the flat part of the shaft. Mine come loose all the time. As far as the shifting are you sure it isn't starting in second? Are the gears good and lined up right on the clutch bell? Maybe it's stuck. Before you go and buy a new tranny check out the redcat ones. The guts are all interchangeable and they are half the cost. The one I use is 02076 because it gives you more top speed but they have one that is the same size as the stock one. I'll repost the other # in a minute.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:22 PM
hibityhupla

o.k. the # for the tranny that is the stock size is 06034. If you guys are having a bad time stripping gears all the time try changing to the hpi threaded 2speed bell. the #'s for that are-
bell-86039
18t gear-76978
23t gear-76983
It looks better and seems to not chew up so many gears like the cast aluminum one does.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:12 AM
Dkishton1486

Hey hibityhupla I cant find the 02076 number on the website. Disreguard I found it......Now that comes with everything? All ill need to do is take off the drie cups off my car and put them on the new tranny and the brake pad?
Old 11-01-2007, 01:47 PM
JonesE

I ordered a new kyosho cltuch shoe and a couple spare bearings.

Here is what I mean when I said the inner diamter is 6mm and the shaft is 5mm. I'm just learning what all the parts are called.

Obviously when the dogbones spin there will be a lot of wobbling and thus vibration. Can I run the car like this?

I suppose it is possible that my car is starting in 2nd, however I'm not sure how to tell when the car changes gears. Should I be able to hear an rpm change or a distinct sound? My car doesn't seem to go that fast. Once, as the tank ran out of fuel the car leaned out and it went BALLISTIC and I think this is the only time I thought it got into second gear. Maybe it didn't, I'm not sure.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:48 PM
Kol

I don't think there is a 1mm difference in diameter between the two parts. You should really use the other side of the vernier to asure inner diameters. Once you have it all assembled with the grub screw installed with loctite and tightened properly you will have no problems.

You will hear when your car changes gear It sounds exactly like a car changing gear (I'm not being sarcastic). You can adjest the point at which the gear change happens with a grub screw inside the tranny. May yours is set up so the the changing point is too high?
Old 11-01-2007, 02:51 PM
Kol

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=RIESUnJ9qnw

Have a look at that video. You can hear my car change gear as in comes towards the camera on most passes.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:00 PM
Kol

OOPs wrong Video!!

Heres the right one:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7iJxAe1_Dk
Old 11-01-2007, 03:03 PM
JonesE

I tought my changing point was too high but the grub screw really can't be adjusted too much or else it comes out of the clutch and binds against the pin.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Kol

Screwing it out will make it change to 2nd earlier. Screw it in a bit and see where the shifht point is. Don't screw it in more than a quarter of a turn at a time tho. Take your time.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:24 PM
JonesE

Thanks for the video Kol. I can definately hear your car changing gears. My car is NOT doing this. Your car is going extremely fast compared to mine. Maybe once my clutch gets fixed, it will get into second gear.

Here are some more pictures I took to clarify things.

The shaft is 5mm

The thing going on the shaft is 5.4mm (I measured it the proper way this time)

Here is a picture of another thing that has the correct diameter and this one fitso n the shaft w/o any wobbling.

I don't see how I am supposed to put a 5.4mm thing on a 5mm shaft and expect it not to wobble.

Edit: As forthe shifting you talked about screwing it in. Don't I want to screw mine OUT so it will shift easier? Right now I can't get into second gear so don't I want to unscrew it? This loosens the spring and allows the metal clutch shoe to come out easier using less RPM.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Dkishton1486

HMMMM maybe I should check mine because I never heard it shift gears....... Thats odd.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Kol

JonesE: I'm afraid that smartech are not renowned for their tight tolerances I have checked lots of different things on the car just like you and the clearances vary dramaticaly. For the clutch adjustment if the screw is out fully you are correct in saying it will change up earlier. U should screw it in fully, then screw it out till its flush. Count the number of turns and then screw it back in a third of the way. That should give you a starting point. If you have it screwed out all the way it will change into second nearly instantly which would be useless.
Hope that helps a bit.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Dkishton1486

where is this screw located at?
Old 11-01-2007, 05:17 PM
hibityhupla

Hey hibityhupla I cant find the 02076 number on the website. Disreguard I found it......Now that comes with everything? All ill need to do is take off the drie cups off my car and put them on the new tranny and the brake pad?
To swap them you'll need to take both trannies apart and put the shaft and new gears in your smartech tranny case with the drive cups you use now. The shaft and gears should come out in one piece. The brake on the redcat's tranny case is on the wrong side. I hope this helps. If you still need help let me know and I'll try to get some pics for you.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:22 PM
JonesE

I attempted to take a picture of where this screw is:

The screw in the picture is the one you want. There is another screw going straight down and that holds the clutch onto the shaft, don't touch this one.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:22 PM
hibityhupla

It is right beside the gears in the tranny by the smaller gear. You will see a hole with a metal piece spinning inside. If you turn it over by hand and hold the one piece solid you will see two grub screws. The one that goes straight in is the one that holds it on, the one at an angle is the adjustment screw.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Dkishton1486

Well I just looked and its not coming out even after I adjust it it wont come out and catch the 2nd gear.... Should I just buy a new tranny?
Old 11-01-2007, 06:21 PM
hibityhupla

Maybe it's just the shifter. That # is 45019. I had the same problem before I swapped engines though. It just seems like the smatech engines are lacking in torque and rpm's. After I swapped engines mine has the problem of shifting to early. At least it's shifting I guess. Mines a little easier to adjust then the normal one. The redcat's shifter isn't encased like the smartech one is. Don't make huge adjustments on the shifter. Only turn it about 1/8 turn at a time or you'll end up in second all the time or way too far in and it won't shift at all.
I'm almost curious if the springs inside are catching on the grub screw holes threads and not loosening up. Maybe take the screw all the way out and check to make sure. Just be careful you don't lose the spring.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.