Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

what do i need?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 06:17 PM
brownstone101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do i need?

hay guys can u recomend a crawler to me something that can grow with my experince it can just be the car and electronics ill use my evaders RX

u think u can help me
thanks

ps no plastic frames i just dont like them
Old 07-01-2005, 07:00 PM
SlideWaysTeamGC
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: what do i need?

ebay clodbusters look at them lots of techs can help not me i dont owna clod and go with a stick chassis at rccrawler.com
Old 07-01-2005, 07:02 PM
brownstone101

i dont know what your talking about im that mutch of a noob lol i need llinks and pictures
Old 07-01-2005, 07:25 PM
brownstone101

guys i need your help i want something like this but just cheap and i dont need and RX i got one and i got servo just dont want to have to swap them out i just want something that i can go to rock pile and have fun

CAN U HELP

or would i have to make this and if so what would i need cause it looks simple and im realy good at making stuff and it would be cheaper soo if there is any way tell me thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34237.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	292570  
Old 07-01-2005, 08:51 PM
Ahab

if you want to start crawling. the most common way to go is to get a Tamiya Clodbuster and then build up from there.

the clodbuster has a fantastic gearbox/axel design that means that the motors/gearboxes and steering mechansim are all attached to the axels.
This means that the CoG (center of gravity) is very low, and good for crawling, and you dont have to worry about drive shafts to get power to the wheels.

because all the moving parts are contained within the axels, you are free to fabricate or buy a 4-link type chassis. RCboys Gecko is pretty much the standard.

take a look at some peoples pics of crawlers and you will see that they use a very simple chassis design that lets them have masses of suspension travel or "Articulation" as crawly types tend to call it. As all the tecnnical stuff is on the axels with a clod all the chassis has to do is supposr the electronics, battery and body and hold the axels toether.

I suggest you take a look at as many pictures of peoples finished crawlers. Find some pics of the RCBoys(z?) Gecko or Gecko 2 and the axels off of the Clodbuster - all will become clear.

(just dont expect crawlers to be built on the cheap - crawlers dont come in "cheap")
Old 07-01-2005, 08:57 PM
brownstone101

ya maby it can be a project or something i dono can u link me stuff
Old 07-01-2005, 09:08 PM
Ahab

sorry its RCGuy not Boyz for the gecko.

basicly a clod based crawler is a pair of axels and a way of linking them together to for a truck.

http://www.rcguy.com/products/gecko2/gecko2.php

http://www.mindspring.com/~jayk4/rcstuff/clod2_4.jpg <-- this shows the underside of a clod based crawler. Note how the motors are on the axels removing the need for complex drive shafts.

basicly a clod based crawler is a pair of axels and a way of linking them together to for a truck.

google is your friend on this one really.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:46 PM
brownstone101

is there anything cheaper like frame/motor assembled that i could custimise
Old 07-01-2005, 09:57 PM
SlideWaysTeamGC

eeeeeeeeeeeeebbbbbbbbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy yyyyyyyy
super clod busters are like 215 bucks + shipping so you take the axles and seel evrythng you dont need and start custimizing
corection 165
Old 07-01-2005, 10:01 PM
Ahab

there is the Tamiya TLT-1 - an 1/18th scale monster truck.

Because it is smaller then a clod you can be up and running with it for cheaper than a clod based one, but ultimately to compete with a clod based crawler you are probably going to spend as much, if not more, on the TLT and because its motor/gearbox are mounted on the chassis, it is limited as far as CoG and articulation go.

If you really want a crawler and are on a buget then see if you can pick up a pair of clodbuster axels from somewhere, but crawlers are expensive whatever you do.

a competitive crawler will cost around $800 and only go 5mph flat out......
Old 07-01-2005, 10:17 PM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

The TLT-1 is a pretty decent crawler right out of the box, the 2 major problems with it is the high COG and low center ground clearence.

Theirs not much you can do about the high COG short of buying/making a new chassis. You cna get the center ground clearence up to about 1-1/2"s completely stock, if you put 2.2 MT tires (Proline moab or Masher 2000's) youll gain a full 3/4" of ground clearence. But then you end up with a silly looking truck so youll eventually stretch it out and widen it which will cost $100++.

The Clodbuster is a much more capable crawler, but requires extensive mods/upgrading to get it their while the TLT is OK out of the box. Either way youll spend close to or over $1000 making either one a good crawler.

Heres the most recent picture of my clod. Keep in mind its NOT a true crawler, its more of a general use/racing MT.

Name:	Ig13370.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	292604  
Old 07-01-2005, 11:02 PM
SlideWaysTeamGC

im loking at a tlt right now
Old 07-01-2005, 11:48 PM
Ahab

do you actualy have any TLT left on that truck Jak?
Old 07-01-2005, 11:58 PM
brownstone101

soo is there any way for me to make it from scratch
buy the motor/axles/ gearbox and make every thing else like soded or weld little pipes and make a center peace and buld of that it would be custom??? i just want to have fun climing rocks or going thrue a little mud pit cause i have the stuff i could pick up the parts like tubbing and stuff and weld it togeather
what u can do for me is get pic of your car and find pictures and eving draw a diragram showing the parts like struts and stuff
i need pic of the sterring set up on a cralwer and i like the one truck one i showed u ill bace it off of that
Old 07-02-2005, 12:51 AM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: Ahab

do you actualy have any TLT left on that truck Jak?
Actually thats my clod, my TLT is all stock except for some drilling I did on the chassis.

soo is there any way for me to make it from scratch
Sure, most crawlers are scratch built. I included a pic of my crawling chassis, its not a tube frame like your wanting, but its home made. Personally I wouldnt go with a tube frame unless your into the scale look, they mess up your COG.

As for the steering setup. You have two options, make/buy a gearbox servo mount and use no bumper, or buy a bumper that has the servo mount built in. Thundertech makes a nice system thats a bumper, skidplate, and servo mount all in one. They have a couple of options on it (mount only, mount/bumper, elimanator, etc.) so just check out their website to get more info on it (BTW that clod I posted the picture of is using their Ripper Pro chassis).

http://www.thundertechracing.com/clodbust.htm

Heres some various pictures, including a chassis that I designed (NOTE: the mounting holes arent all in the right places).

If you look at the picture of the axles alone you can see gearbox mounted servo setup, I dont recomend doing that as it makes your gearbox/servo vulnurable to damage.

The 4th picture shows the chassis good as well as the thundertech servo mount/bumper that I was talking about.

Name:	Ig13061.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	292629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16839.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	292630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77079.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	292631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56169.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	292632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40924.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	292633  
Old 07-02-2005, 02:41 AM
SlideWaysTeamGC

nice
Old 07-02-2005, 01:04 PM
brownstone101

soo can u start giving me pic of the center peace ill need so i can start it out just a shapemember im trying to buld this soo start telling me what tubes and what not i need
link
link
link

Name:	Vt56447.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	292777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12490.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	292778  
Old 07-02-2005, 02:28 PM
brownstone101

ok im getting pic of frames/and how its set up but i need links to parts like axles/i will get tubing for it soo from like the local hardware store.i want to spend less than 30$ on the axles so i will go look on ebay but if u know a retalers sight that sells axles cheap with the servos and etc pleas link me cause im thinking i can get this done under 60-70$ cause i can use my friends workshop + cheap parts and i have a RX and servos but ill get the right servos

thanks

oooo whats the type of pipe should i get or should i just get the pipe from my LHS that has the little ball linkages alreay attaand get matching ball studs and go from there cause i want it long and low but u can do alot with
Old 07-02-2005, 02:31 PM
SlideWaysTeamGC

hahaha no because i did not build it i got it of ebay hahahaha
Old 07-02-2005, 02:36 PM
brownstone101

links please you guys have been soooooooooo much help getting me started its going to be fun bulding it from scratch
Old 07-02-2005, 09:13 PM
brownstone101

guys its sad to say im not going to buld one im going to get a ped instead but im going to upgrade it and buy 2 diffs one im going to lock and one is normal and im going to get new tires and shocks so i will still beable to kinda rock crawl and still have a realy nice ped
but im still happey i learned alot from u guys and the whole rc rock crawling section. i learnd about the locked diff how to make tires soft with WD-40 and i learned its to expencive it is to do is the right way so ill be crawling badly with a 2x4 ped but i will still have fun
thanks guys