Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
 OFFICIAL WHEELY KING CRAWLER THREAD >

OFFICIAL WHEELY KING CRAWLER THREAD

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

OFFICIAL WHEELY KING CRAWLER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL WHEELY KING CRAWLER THREAD

ORIGINAL: dacaur

stick on lead tire weights in the front tires will help, but its really not going to crawl well till you stretch the wheelbase.... try a chassis flip, you will like it, and you can use the stock battery box again.
I was under the impression that the steering wouldn't reach if you flip the chassis. Or is that only if you flip AND stretch?
Old 04-09-2008, 02:39 PM

Dekz,
Before I would flip the chassis I would go to an axle mount hi torque servo. This gets you more bitting power when you crawl. The stock set up is, how can I say it? Whimpy. Do this before you stretch it as well. The reason is because when you do the servo mount you will rotate the shock mounts. If you had previously stretched it you will be redoing some of your handy work. I learned the hard way. Also instead of waiting for HPI Crawl conversion make your own it's not that hard and works very well. Traxxas anodized links look and work real well. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36961.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	926050  
Old 04-09-2008, 05:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Dekz

ORIGINAL: dacaur

stick on lead tire weights in the front tires will help, but its really not going to crawl well till you stretch the wheelbase.... try a chassis flip, you will like it, and you can use the stock battery box again.
I was under the impression that the steering wouldn't reach if you flip the chassis. Or is that only if you flip AND stretch?
The stock setup will just barely reach when you flip (definatly not when you stretch), but like learning2crawl said, the stock setup is pretty crappy... its OK for doing wheelies, but far from acceptable for rock crawling. I started with the stock servo on the front axle, and recently upgraded to a hitec 645MG HT servo.... the difference going from the stock servo to the hitec, was about the same as the difference going from stock steering to axle mounted with stock servo

As for the wheelbase, longer is better. the longer it is, the easier it will be to tackle obstacles (well, to a point, at some point your break over angle will be what kills you rather than length) a 15" WB makes crawling much easier true, but we arent rock crawling because we are lazy and like to do things the easy way, now are we? We are doing it for the challenge, and staying within rockcrawling rules, even if you never plan to compete makes it that much more satisfying when you make an obstacle... (mine is just about 12" right now)
Also, depending on how you mount your servo, you may or may not rotate your link mounts, I mounted my servo in the center so didnt rotate my mounts.

No the servo never hits the chassis when crawling.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:28 PM

An axle mounted servo is way more efficient, compact, and centers weight over the front axle. If you don't want to design something yourself there are plenty of templates available: http://cid-4a947c0fd105ba34.skydrive...WK%20Templates
Old 04-11-2008, 06:15 PM

Here is my wheely king. I had the body aying around for years. I would like to exend the wheel base but then the body would not fit.[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51777.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	927720  
Old 04-16-2008, 07:45 PM

has anybody busted the differential my god son beats on this truck for almost a year now i have a mild 23 turn motor in last week or so i noticed the rear end making a clicking noise sounds like the differntial is letting go is this common in these trucks i had to replace the spur gear once so i checked that first its deffinitly in the rear end
Old 04-17-2008, 01:08 PM

OK, I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks now and drooling!
I decided to bite the bullet and bought me a Wheely King and started ordering parts.

This thing is a blast!

I've just about got it where I want it, there are no competitions around here this is just an adult toy.
STRC suspension and steering parts (11 1/2" wheel base)
Traxxas T-Maxx drive shafts
Flipped chassis (sort of... adding rear steering made this really easy, I just added a servo mount to the rear axle and flipped the wires to the motor)
4 wheel steering with Hi-torque metal geared servo in front
Novak Rooster Crawler esc with Novak 55 turn motor
STRC motor heat sink-blue
48p 96t spur gear and 14t pinion gear
RcGuy diff lockers
Axial Bead locks with 2.2 Moab tires - lead wheel weights in all 4 wheels
Modified Traxxas TQ3 3 channel radio (for rear steering)
Punk Rock Steering computer coming for better control of the rear steering

More plans in the future but this is a good start [)]

lowdown
Old 04-18-2008, 11:49 PM

thats a nice rig. are you going to get a different body for it?
Old 04-19-2008, 12:10 AM

I am, I bought the Wheely King used (it was like new) with the suspension set up already on it. I added the 4 wheel steering, flipped the chassis and replaced all the electronics. It came with 3 bodies - the one on it, a new unused (blue) wk body and a Hummer, I am not real fond of any of them.

I haven't decided which body I want yet, I'm going back and forth between the Jeep Rubicon body and the 72 Chevy C-10.

lowdown
Old 04-22-2008, 06:42 PM

Mine

Old 04-23-2008, 12:04 PM

I got my Punk Rock Steering computer from Clod Mod Racing and installed it...

VERY KOOL!

No with the flip of a switch (on the fly) on my modified TQ3 radio I can go from 2ws to 4ws or crab walk.
It works very nice.

I also tore into it and removed the blue lower arms and replaced them with the traxxas arms, flipped the shock mounts on the axles and now I am right at 12" wb.

lowdown
Old 05-02-2008, 04:02 PM

What do you all think about the new crawler conversion from HPI. Is it better to just buy the parts and do it your self? Here's the link.
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/87633/
Old 05-02-2008, 05:43 PM

ORIGINAL: lowdown

I got my Punk Rock Steering computer from Clod Mod Racing and installed it...

VERY KOOL!

No with the flip of a switch (on the fly) on my modified TQ3 radio I can go from 2ws to 4ws or crab walk.
It works very nice.

I also tore into it and removed the blue lower arms and replaced them with the traxxas arms, flipped the shock mounts on the axles and now I am right at 12" wb.

lowdown
You know you can have independant front and rear steer with that radio right? Thats more control and you dont need the computer.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:09 PM

You know you can have independant front and rear steer with that radio right? Thats more control and you dont need the computer.
Yes, I do know that, that's how I had it set up originally but I didn't like the rear steering non proportional. I don't compete and I used to have a Clod Buster so this feels more natural to me.
I personally really like the steering computer. The idea of independent steering is nice but I didn't care for it just being a switch for full right/center/full left.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:00 PM
My Feedback: (17)

hey guys im new to crawlin and im lookin for a electric crawler to build tht wont break the bank. can u help??? ive got a x factor that i stretched and modded a little. just to much power in the nitro. thanks
Old 05-04-2008, 12:00 PM

well guys you talk so much about the WK i decided to get one. i bought one on ebay that is not working right now. it says it has a tazer 15t???? but he said he cant get it to work or program it. will it work with the stock motor and everything else??? and what is the best way to extend it????
Old 05-04-2008, 12:11 PM

ORIGINAL: lowdown

Yes, I do know that, that's how I had it set up originally but I didn't like the rear steering non proportional. I don't compete and I used to have a Clod Buster so this feels more natural to me.
I personally really like the steering computer. The idea of independent steering is nice but I didn't care for it just being a switch for full right/center/full left.
You can mod the radio for proportional rear steering too. Although then you have to decide if you want a thumbwheel, an extra steering wheel, a lever, or whatever and you have to fit it somewhere. That would end up looking like a mess if I did it.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:36 PM

hey guys what can you do to widen the wheel base? Also couldnt you use a Y harness to run rear steering?
Old 05-07-2008, 02:15 PM

i got these in my diffs and work awsome

[link]http://www.rcguy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=26&ze nid=b6204f2a67a8681e999357f9f4208cc4[/link]
Old 05-10-2008, 03:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Ace76

What do you all think about the new crawler conversion from HPI. Is it better to just buy the parts and do it your self? Here's the link.
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/87633/
i like the kit but i dont like the price. i did mine for a lot cheaper. it may not look as nice but it does the job

ORIGINAL: dkchance74

well guys you talk so much about the WK i decided to get one. i bought one on ebay that is not working right now. it says it has a tazer 15t???? but he said he cant get it to work or program it. will it work with the stock motor and everything else??? and what is the best way to extend it????
i extended mine by getting some allthread from home depot(not sure what diameter, it was the smallest one). then i cut it to the length i wanted (make 4), then i installed the traxxas rod ends from my e maxx on the allthread pieces. then i just used those pieces to replace the stock links. for the drive shafts i used the half shafts off of my emaxx and cut them to length. for the upper link you can use another piece of the same allthread with a nut on the end. i just happened to find a screw that was the same diameter as the allthread and the length i wanted. for the steering i used another piece of the same allthread. all together it cost me less than $20.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:58 PM

well i ended up just ordering a kit from rccrawlers that was 45.00. i dont have the time to really make anything and this looks like a good setup. i havent decided if i am going to move the servo to the axle or not. i was told it is better to move it. does anyone know if there is a site that has any ideas on making your own rock track. im gonna make one in my backyard. just wondering if there are any ideas out there. thanks for the info. anymore good ideas for the WK. let me know thanks
Old 05-10-2008, 05:00 PM

they make axle adapters to widen it. you can get a reversing y harness on ebay for about 10.00 i bought one for my x factor
Old 05-10-2008, 07:05 PM

ORIGINAL: dkchance74

well i ended up just ordering a kit from rccrawlers that was 45.00. i dont have the time to really make anything and this looks like a good setup. i havent decided if i am going to move the servo to the axle or not. i was told it is better to move it. does anyone know if there is a site that has any ideas on making your own rock track. im gonna make one in my backyard. just wondering if there are any ideas out there. thanks for the info. anymore good ideas for the WK. let me know thanks
$45 isnt that bad for the kit. i think its worth it, i just likethe idea of doing things myself
Old 05-10-2008, 07:31 PM

what did you do with the steering servo on yours? u got any pics?
Old 05-10-2008, 07:37 PM

what does anyone think about using a tq3 and rear steer? should i flip the chassis around? and what about a motor? i was going to just use the stock one and put a 15t pinion and a 96t spur but i havent decided yet. any ideas ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.