Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
 OFFICIAL WHEELY KING CRAWLER THREAD >

OFFICIAL WHEELY KING CRAWLER THREAD

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

OFFICIAL WHEELY KING CRAWLER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL WHEELY KING CRAWLER THREAD

The TQ3 is cheap and works.

Flipping the chassis is good, it brings to weight up front. A new chassis is better.

The stock sucks for crawling, if you want to stay cheap buy a 55t lathe motor.

15/96 gearing is good.

An axle mounted servo is the way to go. It gets rid of a lot of slop, its more efficient, more compact, easier to set up with new chassis, and brings weight over the front axle. There are a bunch of templates [link=http://cid-4a947c0fd105ba34.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/WK%20Templates]here[/link] if you want to make your own but aren't sure how.

A rock course is easy to make, just pile up a bunch of rocks.

Wideners are bad. They kill steering power and the truck is plenty wide stock. I narrowed my wheels to narrow the truck a little. A steering harness works for rear steer, but the computer lets you switch between front wheel steer, regular 4 wheel steer, and crab walk. Independent rear steer lets you control the front and rear independently.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:10 PM
My Feedback: (17)

what kind of computer? ive never heard of it before. im kinda new to rock crawling. the truck has a tazer 15t??? is that very good? thanks for the input HWS
Old 05-10-2008, 10:23 PM

A [link=http://www.clodmodracing.com/products/index.php?product=Dual%20S%202ch]Clodmod steering computer[/link]. It uses a third channel to switch between steering modes. The thing is.......instead of using the third channel to control the computer you could use that channel to control rear steering and have independent control over the front and rear wheels. You can also use it with two channels and switch modes by steering to one side or something but a 3ch radio can be cheaper. I think its an unnecessary luxury item, and rear wheel steer isn't even allowed in the 2.2 class.

Tazer +
-has reverse
-only has a slight (1sec) reverse delay
-handles down to 15 turns which doesn't really apply to crawling
-cheap

Tazer -
-can only handle up to 7 cells, lathe motors are good for over 12 volts. More volts = more power
-no drag brake
-weak BEC: 4.8v at 1 amp. It can't power more than one servo and that servo won't be as powerful as when running on 6 volts.

In crawling you get a points penalty for using reverse. Everyone will use it every competition and its less points than a rollover, gate marker, boundary marker, or reposition. It sucks but its a necessity.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:27 AM

i have been having problems with my wheely king. it has the symptoms of a dead battery but the battery is fresh. there is no torque and slow top speed. i tried switching esc's, batteries, motors and its all the same. the motors ate a tower hobbies 27t and the stock WK motor. could the slow crawling possible messed the motors up. i thought of getting a 55t but i still want a little speed for driving around

2000th post[8D]
Old 05-11-2008, 08:05 AM

How hot do the motors get? Fast motors tend to burn up when going slow and climbing stuff. If you want a little more speed than a 55t you could volt up or use a 45t.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:45 AM

ORIGINAL: dkchance74

what kind of computer? ive never heard of it before. im kinda new to rock crawling. the truck has a tazer 15t??? is that very good? thanks for the input HWS
I use the steering computer from [link=http://www.clodmodracing.com/products/index.php?product=Dual%20Steer]clodmodracing[/link] and I love it.
I tried the 3 position switch mod on the TQ3 and it may work for some but I found it to be awkward and hard to use with any precision. I don't compete (there aren't even any competitions close to here) I just like to play and with locked diffs front and rear, the turning radius on the Wheely King really needs some help.

The set up that I finally ended up with is a stock TQ3 (with just the standard 2 position switch) and the [link=http://www.clodmodracing.com/products/index.php?product=Dual%20Steer]clodmodracing[/link] computer. It works awesome in my opinion, with the flip of the toggle on the TQ3 I can have full proportional steering front and rear using the radio wheel to steer (Not independent), front wheel steering only, and even with the 2 position switch on the TQ3 if you hold the switch in the middle you can have crab walk steering.

Here is the article that got me interested in the steering computer:
[link=http://www.rccarreviews.com/rc-reviews/punk-rock-crawling-steering-computer-review.htm]RC Car Reviews[/link]

I will say this though, I hope I don't have trouble with it because my ordering experience was a nightmare!
Shipping was really slow (2 weeks to get it from the state next to me) this would not have been an issue to me but I could not get a reply from any emails sent to them.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:57 PM

well guys thanks for all the help. i wont be competing im just doin this for fun. ive got a nitro for the speed and jumping and wheelies i just thought i would build something different to play around with. ive got a tq3 to use on it. is there any mods you have to do to it??? i just bought some tmaxx shafts but they dont have the ends on them. will the ones on the wk fit those shafts??? or do i have to buy some??? the only reason im asking is because i havent got everything yet. still waitin for it to come in. thanks for all the help. you guys are awsome and so is this forum!!!!!
Old 05-11-2008, 06:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

to use a tq3 controller for rear steering, you have to remove the stock rocker switch, and install a toggle switch(with a neutral-position) i got mine form radio shack. took only 10 minutes to install it in the controler. for the axle, just make a steering rods form all-thread form the hardware store and some traxxas rod ends. then put a servo on the rear, i used servo mounts form RCguy.com. they bolt right on and are the cheapest way to go. i love having 4ws. it make running a 20t motor more fun. looks more like a monster turck. it also helps with crawling.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:14 PM

do you run a y harness??? or use the third channel??? thanks nitro
Old 05-12-2008, 10:31 PM

i am going to run the stock motor on my wk for now and i was just wondering what pinion gear should i put on it. the spur is stock at 90t. any ideas will help.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:48 PM

Old 05-13-2008, 12:02 AM

ORIGINAL: hands without shadows

How hot do the motors get? Fast motors tend to burn up when going slow and climbing stuff. If you want a little more speed than a 55t you could volt up or use a 45t.
the motors dont get too hot. a couple of times they got warm but there was no smoke and they smelled fine so i quit immediately. i did try one of my 3300 batts from radioshack with the stock motor and it seemed to work a lot better. i think i may just get a 35 turn motor for it. i dont think my batteries are messed up because they work fine in my brushless t4. i think they might just need to be cycled
Old 05-13-2008, 10:15 AM

i used the third channel. i had a y-harness, when i 1st tried it it turned the tires in opp directions, cause my servos are mounted facing away from eachother. so it was alot easier to make the rear run off the third channel.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:41 PM

I WAS TOLD YOU HAVE TO USE A REVERSING Y HARNESS. WHERE DID YOU MOUNT THE TOGGLE SWITCH AT ON THE REMOTE???
Old 05-13-2008, 04:35 PM

A [link=http://www.clodmodracing.com/products/index.php?product=Dual%20S%202ch]Clodmod steering computer[/link]. It uses a third channel to switch between steering modes. The thing is.......instead of using the third channel to control the computer you could use that channel to control rear steering and have independent control over the front and rear wheels. You can also use it with two channels and switch modes by steering to one side or something but a 3ch radio can be cheaper. I think its an unnecessary luxury item, and rear wheel steer isn't even allowed in the 2.2 class.

Tazer +
-has reverse
-only has a slight (1sec) reverse delay
-handles down to 15 turns which doesn't really apply to crawling
-cheap

Tazer -
-can only handle up to 7 cells, lathe motors are good for over 12 volts. More volts = more power
-no drag brake
-weak BEC: 4.8v at 1 amp. It can't power more than one servo and that servo won't be as powerful as when running on 6 volts.

In crawling you get a points penalty for using reverse. Everyone will use it every competition and its less points than a rollover, gate marker, boundary marker, or reposition. It sucks but its a necessity.
I WAS JUST WONDERING CAN YOU RUN REAR STEER WIT THE TAZER??? YOU SAID IT WONT POWER MORE THAN 1 SERVO. IF I CANT WHAT SHOULD I USE???
Old 05-13-2008, 04:49 PM

You could use a receiver pack or an external BEC. Using either of those solutions you need to disable the ESC's BEC by pulling the red wire out of the receiver plug.

Here's a tq3 mod thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...tq3+mod&page=2
Old 05-13-2008, 07:29 PM

You could use a receiver pack or an external BEC. Using either of those solutions you need to disable the ESC's BEC by pulling the red wire out of the receiver plug.

Here's a tq3 mod thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...tq3+mod&page=2
SO IF I AM USING A 3 CHANNEL RECIEVER I CAN PLUG A BATTERY PACK INTO IT AND IT WILL POWER THE SERVO??? PULL THE RED WIRE FROM THE PACK OR??? DONT QUITE UNDERSTAND SORRY
Old 05-13-2008, 09:10 PM

does anyone know if those electric cooling fans work???
Old 05-14-2008, 12:23 AM
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: dkchance74

I WAS TOLD YOU HAVE TO USE A REVERSING Y HARNESS. WHERE DID YOU MOUNT THE TOGGLE SWITCH AT ON THE REMOTE???
You only need the reversing Y harness if you're not using a three channel radio. If you're using a three channel radio then the third channel controls the rear steering.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:22 PM

GOT MY KIT IN TODAY AND GOT IT ALL STRETCHED OUT. NOW ALL I NEED IS MY DRIVE SHAFTS. LOOKIN GOOD SO FAR
Old 05-14-2008, 03:01 PM

Stampeed shafts work well. Just cut em down a little..
Old 05-14-2008, 03:41 PM

ORIGINAL: learning2crawl

Stampeed shafts work well. Just cut em down a little..
I GOT SOME FROM A TMAXX. I MEASURED IT AND IT NOW HAS A 13.25 IN WHEELBASE. HERES WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE SO FAR
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31630.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	949348  
Old 05-14-2008, 03:44 PM

i put the toggle switch in the same place as the original one i took out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25097.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	949349  
Old 05-14-2008, 07:40 PM

does anyone have a different way to mount the shocks??? mine seem to be at too much of an angle. or maybe its just me. not used to it being stretched. i dont know. any help would be great.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:12 PM

Your angle is fine. You could rotate the axle brackets to level it out a bit but that will stretch the wheelbase even more.

Thanks for turning of Caps Lock.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.