Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

RC multihulls?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

RC multihulls?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 04:24 AM
Idealist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: RC multihulls?

Hi Sailingkid,
the boat is 122 cm long and wide - as Mini40 is supposed to be.
There are 15 cross sections of 8cm each plus 2cm for the bow.
(Although the bowbumpder only needs to be 12-15mm).

The boat is originally designed for straight crossbars (20mm alloy pipe or 16mm carbon)
to make construktion easier, but I will send you a drawing for curved crossbars as well.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:35 AM
Sailingkid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok i get it now, so ill pick one of the hulls, then the outriggers and use that one rig. Thats a big boat! I think i might have to sail it on the sea rather then on the lake as i would run out of space too quickly! Thanks again! PS what scale do i print the main hull (the HR Uebersicht one) at, as well as the NR Uebersicht one?
Old 09-13-2007, 04:42 AM
Idealist

Good luck for the building!
Old 09-13-2007, 04:58 AM
Idealist

Ãœbersicht = Overall view ->
-> that's just for orientation and additional scetches, if you need to do some.

All other drawings are 1:1

The PFD-files format is allways A4.

But I could send all coordinates to you as well.

In the meantime the 'HITEC Armwinch HB815BB' has been tested on Mini40 Trimarans by friends.
It works very well - and much faster than most sailwinches (except RMG winches) -
but the prize is unbeatable.

It also fits perfectly into the mainhull of my design.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:36 AM
Sailingkid

Yes, exept i plan to sand the shape off your plans in balsa wood so i might have to modify the sheeing and possibly the steering systems. I think i could have it on the water within 1 1/2 years if im quick.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:56 AM
tricat

Hi DickL the last address for Robbie Nevitt earlier this year.It is shown as [email protected] in the MYA year book though Robbie tells me a lot of people say they cannot get through.Failing that I can give him a ring re the problem if you like as he has a private address but I would have to get his ok to send it to you.Regards Tricat
Old 09-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Dick L.

Hi Tricat -

thanks for the offer.

Perhaps I can ask you to help me cut to the chase. I tried the BMMA email address and no response. I also joined the "OPERA" community thinking he might be there, but site looks seldom-used.

He's the issue: I obtained a set of drawings of PULSE (by Mike Friend) thru Mike Howell before his untimely passing. I am trying (through Robbie) to get in touch with Mike Friend to verify my ability to continue to offer those plans to interested builders here in the U.S. as I did via Mike Howell. I never had any way to contact Mike directly, and am trying to make good-faith effort to verify copyright terms and conditions for the use of the lines. We have a 1 meter scaled down version of PULSE that is sailing in the State of Washington in the Pacific Northwest, and a few who have seen the Mini40/F-48 want to build but at the smaller (more manageable) scale. I had an OK for that boat, but have nothing in hand for future requests.

If you can help me get in touch with Mike directly - or with Robbie so I can work though him, it would be appreciated. I had Robbie's old email address at "Tms-Ltd" but is has bounced back so am looking via public contacts.

Any assistance appreciated. Will email you my home and work email address via PM
Old 09-16-2007, 01:53 AM
Falshami

i am considering sailing but , i would really like to try a swath style boat , so i guess i should start a thread , could someone please give me a link to start a thread in the boat section? thank you , i would like to buy a sail boat to start with , a cat sounds to dificult for a newb lol , plus i live in the desert , so if i get a boat , it will only be 1 or 2 cuz , well i have hardly any water lol, sorry for hijacking the thread
Old 09-16-2007, 06:11 AM
tricat

Hi DickL,I have already sent Email asking Robbie to look at this forum re your problem of address
We should get it sorted out OK.
Regards Tricat
Old 09-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Dick L.

ORIGINAL: Falshami
plus i live in the desert , so if i get a boat , it will only be 1 or 2 cuz , well i have hardly any water lol, sorry for hijacking the thread

How about joining the AMYA (American Model Yachting Association) since there are several clubs in Arizona - including one in your hometown! My guess is they would love to have a new member, they sail a variety of boats including a few that can be bought used or scratch built, plus they'll let you try out one or two when not racing to give you a feel for how each design handles. The Victoria is a relatively inexpensive boat, and the ODOM (One Meter, One Design class is a strict one-design class that will allow you to sell (or buy) used boats that are not obsolete, since every boat in the class must weigh the same, same sail area, etc. You really need to check it out !

Arizona

Litchfield Park
West Valley R/C Marinersf, (#207)
Rowland Stevens, (623) 877-2750
rowland2}AT{lycos.com
4264 North 103rd Avenue #20
Phoenix, Arizona 85037
Sailing Site: Lake Park, Litchfield Park, AZ
Classes Sailed: 36/600 (AMYA), Fairwind, Seawind, & 1Meter Sport (Club)

Mesa
Mesa Model Yacht Club, (#146)
Bill Webb, 480 807-6091
Cleanup66}AT{cox.net
5340 East Colby Street
Mesa, AZ 85205
Sailing Site: Dobson Park Ranch Lake
Classes Sailed: US12 Meter, 36/600, and the 50/800 or Marblehead

Tillerman Model Yacht Club, (#82)
Jerry Muridge, (480) 981-1764
944 Leisure World
Mesa, AZ 85206
Sailing Site: Leisure World recreation department
Classes Sailed: 36/600, 50/800 or Marblehead, Open

Metropolitan Phoenix, including Tempe

Tempe Town Lake Model Yacht Club, (#149)
Michael Mann, (480) 703-6718
MichaelWMann}AT{earthlink.net
P.O. Box 27866
Tempe AZ 85285-866
Sailing Site: Tempe Town Lake
Classes Sailed: RC Laser, Victoria, 36/600

Rim Country (Payson)
Chaparral Pines Yacht Club (#99)
Fred Moldenhauer, 928-468-2170
FMoldenhauer}AT{starband.net
2700 E. Wild Rose Circle
Payson, AZ 85541
Sailing Site: Lake 4, Chaparral Pines Country Club
Classes Sailed: CR 914 (only)

Scottsdale
Copperstate Model Yacht Club, (#29)
Dennis Desprois, 480 998-3754
8654 E. Windrose Drive
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Sailing Site: Scottsdale's Chaparral Lake
Classes Sailed: Victoria, 36/600 and the 50/800 or Marblehead

Tucson
Tucson Model Yacht Club, (#170)
Rip Rundle, 520-299-1677
1156 E. Rising Sun Dr
Tucson AZ 85737
Sailing Site: Sauhuarita lake between Tucson and Green Valley off of I-19
Classes Sailed: EC-12, ODOM, Victoria's
Old 09-16-2007, 11:37 AM
Dick L.

Thanks much -

will wait and see what response turns up.

Dick
Old 09-17-2007, 07:28 AM
Falshami

wow dude , you whent the extra mile for me lol , thanks so much , i will look into it , it mightfeel nice sailing quietly , i better look into a sailboat i guess now lol , are sail boats hard to sail? you know catching the wind etc?
Old 09-17-2007, 01:07 PM
Dick L.

Are airplanes hard to keep in the air? Does a bear s**t in the woods?

No - in fact sailboats are extremely easy to sail - the hard part is getting them to go as fast as possible each time you go out !

Actually, once you understand the basics of "how" they move, getting them to do that is the fun, considering it's you and the wind and your Tx. I would suggest a visit to AMYA website. Then go to the US1 Meter class pages and look for their wonderful PDF format guide - Constructions Hints and Tips. Download it and read near the end about sailing and sail trim (location of sails and adjustments) for up, down and sideways to the wind. The info on building will also prove very helpful, even if you buy a ready-to-sail boat, since you will eventually want to modify something, replace something or fix something. It is an invaluable guide and I recommend it to all new sailors. Use a 3 ring punch, and put it into a binder for later reference - it's that good .... and FREE ! Might also want to pick up a few books from Library on basics of sailing to understand the concepts and also to learn the "lingo". Above all, don't be intimidated by all the lines - some are needed to keep the mast up, and some are needed to adjust the sails. Along with being a local club member, you will have local sailors to ask advice on setting up and getting the most from your investment. I do (always) recommend you stay away from the cheap Wal-Mart/eBay plastic boats unless they are a recognized class. While cheap, their performance gives a bad first impression to r/c sailing.

Good luck
Old 09-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Falshami

thank you ! as for sailing , i have tooken a class on sailing so i should be ok on lingo , but i eill take a look at that page , it sounds good lol , i am juggeleing a few ideas for boats now , oops , sorry for stealing the thread...
Old 09-19-2007, 02:58 PM
Dick L.

Are any of you overseas (e.g. NOT U.S.) sailors paying any attention to the C Class event currently going on in Toronto?

Canada doing a magnificant job roight out of the box ............. US (Cogito) running steady second but hoping for a bit more wind. Awesome.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:35 PM
Dick L.

TRICAT -

just a follow-up with sincere thanks for getting me in touch. Both Robbie and Mike responded today by email.

Mike has agreed to allow me to share the PULSE Mini40 designs with U.S. multihull builders, so have cleared any issues of copyright infringement which were of concern. To that end, I was able to share an article with him regarding the first U.S. build of his PULSE design, but scaled to 1 Meter instead of the original 1.2 meter.

I thought I would share it with you and this "crowd" as to how one U.S. monohull builder became a multihull enthusiast. Doesn't look like I can post a PDF file on the build on this one. Will have to search further to see why the limitations. In the meantime, here are the photos that went with the article.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52301.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	766879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26878.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	766880   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27794.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	766881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv60201.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	766882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yk66521.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	766883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uk77879.jpg
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	766884  
Old 09-21-2007, 06:19 AM
andrew k

hey dick the photo look great...question though, why do most people stick to the straight poles for beams..i know they are easy to use but the moulded beams look so much better...real trimaran like...the c-class stuff your talking is going off in canada...my mate rohan veal,who is the current moth world champion showed some photos of a c class he was working on over there with foils...mad looking stuff...

Name:	Zx71166.jpg
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	767018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50561.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	767019  
Old 09-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Dick L.

Hi Andrew - yup- they have 4 boats sailing, but none from UK or Australia ! Maybe next time. While the foiler worked, CAN 1 (Alpha) is leading the series, and they are doing it the old fashiioned way - slippery hulls - no foils.

Winds have been on the light side. Crew on CAN 1 is an r/c multihull/ F-100 monohull enthusiast who I have come to know. He was responsible for converting my Mini40 palns from CAD files to hard copy - so I can make copies for those wanting to build.

With approval from Mike Friend for his PULSE lines, the following are now in my care:

Freight Train
Ghost Train
WaterResist
Pulse
and I'm working on a set of Snapdragon files.

ADDED: Yes - straight cross tubes, are less work. I do agree that beams look better when in "gull-wing" shape.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:57 PM
andrew k

hey dick,
have you done scaled down drawings of the mini40 to take it to the 1meter size...how do you think they compete with the mini40 at 1.2m. it may be a cheaper alternative as cheap postage limits here,are only to a max of1.05meters in length
what are you doing with the plans,are you printing emailing for people that want to build or selling them...
we have sold another boat this week, but lots of people have been asking me for plans that i dont have..
if your selling them i will get a couple from you for people in australia that want to build...
cheers
andrew
ORIGINAL: Dick L.

Hi Andrew - yup- they have 4 boats sailing, but none from UK or Australia ! Maybe next time. While the foiler worked, CAN 1 (Alpha) is leading the series, and they are doing it the old fashiioned way - slippery hulls - no foils.

Winds have been on the light side. Crew on CAN 1 is an r/c multihull/ F-100 monohull enthusiast who I have come to know. He was responsible for converting my Mini40 palns from CAD files to hard copy - so I can make copies for those wanting to build.

With approval from Mike Friend for his PULSE lines, the following are now in my care:

Freight Train
Ghost Train
WaterResist
Pulse
and I'm working on a set of Snapdragon files.

ADDED: Yes - straight cross tubes, are less work. I do agree that beams look better when in "gull-wing" shape.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:00 PM
Dick L.

ORIGINAL: andrew k

hey dick,
have you done scaled down drawings of the mini40 to take it to the 1meter size...how do you think they compete with the mini40 at 1.2m. it may be a cheaper alternative as cheap postage limits here,are only to a max of1.05meters in length

Yes - but I've only reduced the PULSE plans. The small difference in overall length/size should not pose a major problem with performance. I usually suggest builders use a small rig to learn with - then graduate to the "A" rig - but everyone wants to go all out and they wind up crashing. Here too the price for postage is measured by size (L+W+H) and not weight.

what are you doing with the plans,are you printing emailing for people that want to build or selling them...

Yes - I used Kinko's but my cost for full size GHOST TRAIN were nearly $30 including postage! Too many cheap builders to sell many plans. Magnuus (C- Class) converted DWG and DXF lines to hard copy, full size for me, so I can copy and reduce at same time for a 1 Meter.

we have sold another boat this week, but lots of people have been asking me for plans that i dont have..

See below for two free site locations for plans. Download, take to local engineering store for prints. Make a master and one copy. Use master for future copies.

if your selling them i will get a couple from you for people in australia that want to build...

Not for sale except as last resort, (only if I have to) as postage plus printing might be too much. I can check if you want me to. See below for web locations and idea for printing.

cheers
andrew
Here are the two web sites where you can get free CAD format plans.

WATER RESIST - Jean Margail - FRANCE (AirBus engineer) Request email of plans. Tell him I said hello.

[link=http://water.resist.free.fr/Anglais/Partager.htm]WATER RESIST[/link]

GHOST TRAIN - Andy McCulloch - UK Web site hosted by Alan Hayes in New Zealand.
(he has a 1.2 meter for sale too-make an offer and resell?)
Scroll down to list of plans, and look for the grayed out text - those are Alan's links to GHOST TRAIN plans

[link=http://www.radioyachting.com/?page_id=7]Kiwi Radio Yachting - multihulls[/link]
Old 09-22-2007, 07:41 AM
andrew k

hey dick, i have just been going over some of the posts in this forum and i have a small question for you...
on page 10 of this forum you uploaded a photo of what appears to be an open 60....
who is it,what is it and are there plans for it....
you and others have made mention of a 1/10 scale class.did you get this going...you made mention of people in australia and new zealand were interested...are there people here that you know of that are still looking at doing it and if so can you please point me to them...
in regards
to tri, i have just posted a new topic calling for rc multihull sailors here in aus...we have states titles in queensland next month and am trying to figure out exactly who is out there...
hope everything well...
regards
andrew...
ps. did you get my p.m earlier today...
Old 09-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Dick L.

Some of the scale 1:10 pics I found on a French website. Completely blew me away. I can't stay with little boats anymore

The fellow from down there runs (and calls himself) "Heaven Can Wait" regatta. He has been doing sportsboat r/c models including spinnakers for some time. Sorry I don't know his real name, but I think he is in Australia. I will see if I can locate an email for him. Try Sailing Anarchy web & forums [link=http://www.sailinganarchy.com/]Sailing Anarchy[/link], he is there often, and you can contact through him,. Go to "Sportsboat Anarchy" and look for the r/c thread. Don't be upset by the sailor's language there. If you aren't familiar with the site, they can be unmerciful.

Since then, I ran across and started to correspond with a Sylvian Viau whose dad builds some fabulous static large boat models. Some are also radio controlled. Check his family's website to really get blown away! [link=http://www.viaucom.com/Main_en.htm]Big Boat Models[/link].

Of course, our 40's are step down from the old Formula 40 class so with some small deck gear, etc. one could do a 1:10 of the older boats.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:18 PM
Dick L.

Just an update that the I4C regatta has ended in Toronto Canada today, with the C Class championships being taken by Canada 1 (Alpha).

Although they have a foiler, the winds remained light all week and the slippery hulls of Alpha (not a foiler) were just too much for U.S. Cogito and the other two C's. What a wonderful regatta, technology and sportsmanship. Too bad all regattas couldn't be this nice. While I'm an American, I was rooting for the newcomer from Canada and they showed their technical and racing ability. Well done to all of the competitors, and hope we see some other countries next time around. A wonderful series of comments, photos and general BS can be found on the Sailing Anarchy website.

[link=http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59168&hl=]C Class topic[/link]

Congrats to the competitors and to the winner Canada 1
Old 09-28-2007, 07:17 AM
andrew k

hey dick, hope things are well over there...
i checked up that website of the big boat models...they make some great stuff, i cant believe how realistic they are...
surely to make models of them he must be working from some plans...if your corresponding with him could you ask if he has any dxf or dwg plans of the tris or open 60s...
after looking at the brossard tri we have decided to mould the beams in the same fashion as they have done with the half circle at the rear...while i know it may be a little heavier,the overall look is great...for a while now i have wanted to put a coloured material in between the beams to give the look of tramps but just havent gotten around to it,after seeing the above model i will be doing it shortly...
by the way, after looking at the sailing anarchy forum,i have decided not to get involved,i cant believe some of the stuff they are saying,but i did however put a post on rcsailing.net
best regards
andrew

Name:	Ax73035.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	771803  
Old 09-28-2007, 09:04 AM
Dick L.

Andrew - some of the kite shops carry a fine mesh that they use for leading edges and trailing flaps on some of the acrobatic kites. I haven't tried for a sample, but if my feeling is correct, it might be the right "scale" (or close to it) to resemble the big mesh tramps on full size boats. Once you get the curved rear beam/traveller, I'll send you the email for a fellow who does 1/10 or 1/12 scale "working" Harken stuff in miniature - or Google "Marine Modeling Corporation". He sells straight traveller sections - but perhaps they can be carefully bent to match your radius. Just a thought - not sure how detailed you want to go. Are you thinking 1/10 scale - or just to get it to look like scale from distance?

I also sent you a direct email (forwarded) with some design thoughts from a UK Mini40 designer. Included is his home email in case you want to discuss design ideas.

Tricat - just an update. Your assistance and that of Robbie Nevitt's resulted in my making contact with Mike Friend. So very many thanks. We have traded emails, he has provided me with approval to furnish copies of his PULSE Mini40 line drawings. He also provied some tips for building/sailing PULSE which I was able to furnish to the US builder who did PULSE in 1 Meter format. I must thank you immensely for helping make this initial contact. While Mike isn't involved much in multihulls any longer, he asked for correspondence from those building his design - for input and comment on how it sails, etc. This is another design that will make it into the multihulls interest group, and is yet another alternative for builders.

I am pleased to note that here in the local area, there are two r/c sailors who are showing interest in building multihulls. One has selected FREIGHT TRAIN, one has selected GHOST TRAIN and now I have incentive to proceed in finishing off my long ago started project of WATER RESIST. "IF" these all come to reality, it will be a unique way to sail all three differing designs at the same time to see their characteristics - and of course performance. They indicated they would start as a winter project, so until I see a few photos of a building board with layup progress, I will attempt to withold my excitement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.