Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

GTM 1/2 Scale Fokker Triplane

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

GTM 1/2 Scale Fokker Triplane

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Joe Westrich
My Feedback: (95)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GTM 1/2 Scale Fokker Triplane

Yeah, I was hyped up last fall when I first heard of the projects. Glenn ended up doing a significant amount of redesign for the 1/2 scale and things started a bit later. He shot me an email but I was neck deep in two other airplanes already. I was ok with just getting on the wagon next fall......well, until now! I sent Glenn another email today. I may just push the 1/3 scale SSW aside. My only reservation is the time line. You plan to be ready by Sept 2014, but I will lose focus way before then....my airplane ADD I guess. If Glenn has it pretty much mapped out then I would like to build one now to be in the air by mid/late Summer 2012. Mine would not be anywhere near the scale fidelity that your tripe will be, but I'm ok with it. Even if I took two years to build it, it still would not match up. I'll wait to see what he tells me, in the mean time I will try to refocus back on the SSW.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Joe Westrich

BTW... this is the scheme I would be doing.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99452.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	1730542  
Old 02-22-2012, 06:25 PM
TKFOKKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe
That's a lot of work between now and fall of this summer. The problem will be in getting the things from Glenn on a timely manner to be able to build this project that fast. Unless of course you completely scratch yours. I was actually looking forward to doing a semi built kit so to speak, I've been scratch building all my planes since 1983. So what ever I can get Glenn to make will be a blessing for a change. My triplane will be scale, I will set my goal for 2014. Plus this is going to be a very exspensive project with the prices of wood these days. Not much balsa in this plane. There's alot of metal parts that need to be made yet, and the changes will have to be worked out. I didn't want to lose all the scale fidelity in the gun area with the way his 1/4 and 1/3rd scale center section is so I came up with the new design of the center wings plugging in so as the whole center will stay intact and now the guns can be mounted properly. I will be using a box aluminum in the center for the wings to slide into.
All in all it will be nice to see so many Dreideckers built at the same time and the different skill levels doing there thing.
TK
P.S. Tell your brother to repaint that D-6, How's his bucket coming along?
Old 02-22-2012, 06:27 PM
TKFOKKER

Joe
That's a very nice color scheme, I like it!
TK
Old 02-22-2012, 06:34 PM
davep47
My Feedback: (2)

No wings.....No problem

1 wing.....1 problem

2 wings.....2 problems

3 wings.....Big problems

If I can get another couple of people interested in helping me build one I would, but for now it's focus on the D-8.
Good luck with your build TK and I will be watching!!!!

Dave Perrone
Old 02-22-2012, 06:43 PM
TKFOKKER

Here is the color scheme I will be using. The picture of the model is incorrect due to the upper wing cross, as you can see in the real picture of Klimke's Dreidecker. Also the three view is incorrect due to the cross is black on fuse instead of chrome yellow. There is no mention of the subwing being yellow, there for I will paint mine olive and blue underneath. Glenn has been in contact with Mickeal Carlson of Sweden who built and flys the Dreidecker and D-7. He states that he has proof that the color that most people use on the Dreideckers are incorrect, he has the actual Fokker mixes from the company who supplied the paint. He is willing to share this with Glenn! Cool stuff!!
TK
Old 02-22-2012, 06:44 PM
TKFOKKER

Here is the color scheme I will be using. The picture of the model is incorrect due to the upper wing cross, as you can see in the real picture of Klimke's Dreidecker. Also the three view is incorrect due to the cross is black on fuse instead of chrome yellow. There is no mention of the subwing being yellow, there for I will paint mine olive and blue underneath. Glenn has been in contact with Mickeal Carlson of Sweden who built and flys the Dreidecker and D-7. He states that he has proof that the color that most people use on the Dreideckers are incorrect, he has the actual Fokker mixes from the company who supplied the paint. He is willing to share this with Glenn! Cool stuff!!
TK
Old 02-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Joe Westrich

ORIGINAL: TKFOKKER

Joe
That's a lot of work between now and fall of this summer. The problem will be in getting the things from Glenn on a timely manner to be able to build this project that fast. Unless of course you completely scratch yours. I was actually looking forward to doing a semi built kit so to speak, I've been scratch building all my planes since 1983. So what ever I can get Glenn to make will be a blessing for a change. My triplane will be scale, I will set my goal for 2014. Plus this is going to be a very exspensive project with the prices of wood these days. Not much balsa in this plane. There's alot of metal parts that need to be made yet, and the changes will have to be worked out. I didn't want to lose all the scale fidelity in the gun area with the way his 1/4 and 1/3rd scale center section is so I came up with the new design of the center wings plugging in so as the whole center will stay intact and now the guns can be mounted properly. I will be using a box aluminum in the center for the wings to slide into.
All in all it will be nice to see so many Dreideckers built at the same time and the different skill levels doing there thing.
TK
I had thought about how fast I could get stuff from Glenn. I essentially asked him about that in the email I sent today. If everything was available, I could definitly get it done this year. If Glenn tells me that the rest of the pieces won't be ready until the end of the year, then I will probably just pick it up and start it in the Fall.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Horsepoweraviation
My Feedback: (50)

Joe
TK

Whats wrong with the paint job? TK?

Everyone else loves it!?

HPA

Name:	Xv64998.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1730677  
Old 02-23-2012, 09:52 AM
deljon
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Horsepoweraviation

Joe
TK

Whats wrong with the paint job? TK?

Everyone else loves it!?

Well, maybe almost everyone else, I don't particular like it.................But then what do I know, I'm old and colorblind................[>:]

Del

HPA
Old 02-23-2012, 04:00 PM
TKFOKKER

Pauly!!!!!!
I hate it!
Next time I see it, can I cut the side off????
I need a new subject for my shop ceiling!
I miss you buddy.
TK
Old 02-23-2012, 04:30 PM
TKFOKKER

Joe
Parts will be coming to me first to be sure the projects designs work out. The idea of this posting and purpose is to be a build and instruction sequence to aid the builder. The idea is to keep this build ahead of others. In other words it's basically like Del's build on the 1/3rd he did for Glenn. The difference being I too am making design changes as I go along together with Glenn to come up with a better Dreidecker.
TK
Old 02-24-2012, 02:37 AM
vogel605

Hey Del,...we're over here....

Hey TK,
Can't wait to see the Tripe come together, guess it's not looking to good for me with the 1/2 Hanriot at Dayton, I'm gonna need more 1/2 scale allies. (Paul was talking about repainting the DVI in a captured scheme.) See ya soon.

Barry
Old 02-24-2012, 10:26 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

TK,

Did you see the post on this board of the guy that built the working R/C controlled 6mm machine gun? I couldn't help but think with the correct false shell covering the working parts you could make similated straffing runs.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:43 AM
TKFOKKER

Yes I did see it, need more info. It's cool and all but what is it? How does it work? whats it made of? So on and so on.
Neat though!
TK
Old 02-24-2012, 10:56 AM
TKFOKKER

OK here we go. Feb. 24th, first day of construction on the Dreidecker. Not much to look at, but it's a start. This will be the first model airplane I ever built the wings to first! I always build the fuse and tail first.
Ok what we have here is an 8 ft. peice of 1/8 aluminum angle. This will be a jig to glue my spar stock together with. I'm glueing 4 pieces at a time. Wrapping them in cello to keep the glue from getting to the wrong pieces. I have four of these for each spar to make. Thats 16 pieces of spruce to glue together. This will take a week to do to have the glue cure properly.I use red titebond, the blue is more brittle than the red. Slow start! After these are done I will start building the box spars. In the meen time I'm hopeing to get my ribs to begin building those while I'm gluing these together.
As always all coments very much welcome.
TK

Name:	Nl30501.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1731217   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91053.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1731218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54027.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1731219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wp40774.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1731220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jv14761.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1731221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zp95267.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1731222  
Old 02-24-2012, 06:17 PM
Horsepoweraviation

Pauly!!!!!!
I hate it!
Next time I see it, can I cut the side off????
I need a new subject for my shop ceiling!
I miss you buddy.
TK

Tommy,
Your so funny............
How about a tribute to our good friend Dr. Pierce..... 'FRATZ'???

HPA
Old 02-24-2012, 06:22 PM
TKFOKKER

Pauly!!
Did you ever consider a factory fresh color scheme? Why do we always need flamboyant colors? Go with it's original colors. Olive cowl and metal parts with streaked fuse. Now that would be nice. I'm sorry but the Alvin the chipmonks color scheme just isn't cutting it for such a big beautiful bird.
TK
Old 02-24-2012, 09:59 PM
Horsepoweraviation

What wrong with flamboyant?!

Is it possible this negitive attitude of yours ...stems from your 5th grade Halloween outfit?[X(]

HPA

Name:	Sq47144.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	1731525  
Old 02-25-2012, 12:20 AM
abufletcher

I don't believe that landing gear is at all scale.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:59 AM
TKFOKKER

OH MY GOSH!
That is Sooooooooo funny, I wishI thought of that when I was a kid!
Is that what your next airplane will look like Pauly?
Good one pal
TK
Old 02-25-2012, 06:39 AM
TKFOKKER

This morning I released the first spar stock from the glue jig. Glued up the next two and got them clamped in. As I said before not much to show right now. I can say one thing, STRONG!!! these spars when finished would work in a full scale.
TK

Name:	Mk27607.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1731613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71284.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1731614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41712.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1731615  
Old 02-25-2012, 01:06 PM
TKFOKKER

Was messing around in the shop, got to looking at my D-8 stab and elevator. Now how easy would it be just to use that instead of building another? Hum, same tail, No I guess not, better make a new one. Same goes with the cowl could use that, no better not. How about the whole cockpit? How easy it would be, can't do it.
Here is a cross view of the spar with no top and bot ply slid over the rib. Aluminum bar stock will be connecting the two wing halves on the middle wing.
TK

Name:	Jh15835.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1731767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85758.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1731768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37516.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1731769  
Old 02-25-2012, 01:14 PM
abufletcher

It would be a shame to start "cannibalizing" your DVIII. [] (It's also a bit sad to think it won't be flying...but I understand.)
Old 02-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Horsepoweraviation

This morning I released the first spar stock from the glue jig. Glued up the next two and got them clamped in. As I said before not much to show right now. I can say one thing, STRONG!!! these spars when finished would work in a full scale.
TK
A few posts back you asked about my DH2..........

My DH2 1/2 scale got pushed back alittle because the 1/2 scale miltary wright flyer in on the build table now....

I promise we will not paint it in flamboyant colors!

HPA

Name:	Tr50203.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	1732560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10974.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	1732561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37474.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	1732562  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.