Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

1/4 scale Storch

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

1/4 scale Storch

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 10:24 PM
T. Bob
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/4 scale Storch

Does anyone make a kit or plans for this plane?
Thank You.
Old 07-29-2002, 12:36 AM
pittsdriver
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1/4 scale Storch

Swenson of Sweden used to make a large scale Storch. Seemed like it had an 8 or 9 foot wingspan. They might still make it and if you look around the european hobby sites you might find one. Also watch Ebay as I have seen a couple on there in the last year or so. Don
Old 07-29-2002, 12:32 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1/4 scale Storch

Bob Holman has a couple different sized W/S available.
Contact him at [email protected]

Wm.
Old 08-02-2002, 02:52 PM
Slowbatics

Default STORCH

HOLLO,
I just received my Dennis Bryant 94 in. Storch plans today.
Got them through Bob Holman plans. All I can say is, WOW.
Great looking set of plans. Cant wait to start building. He also has a set of plans for the Westland Lysander that I plan to buy next.

BILL
Old 08-04-2002, 02:10 AM
Tmoth4

Default 1/4 scale Storch

I just flew my old Dennis Bryant Storch last night. What a blast! I've had this plane for years and it's still going strong. I like to do STOL touch and goes. Start up high with full flaps and point it at the runway. Then you flair out at the last second and touch down. When you apply power it rolls about 3 feet and up she goes again. I also like to point it into the wind (full flaps) and throttle back, working the rudder and throttle to try and make it stand still in the air. You have to work the rudder hard to fly this plane because it can get so slow.
I blew up the .40 size plans to 102" and put a G23 in it. This was before the 94" one was available. Push gallery button below to see pics of it.
Good luck and have fun with it.
Old 08-04-2002, 09:15 AM
Slowbatics

Default TMOTH4 STORCH

Very nice looking Storch TMOTH4. I hope I can make mine look as good. I would like to use my Saito 120 4 stroke. In your opinion, would that be enough power? Do you have any more pictures?
Old 08-04-2002, 02:32 PM
Tmoth4

Default 1/4 scale Storch

Thanks. Mine weighs about 14# and the G23 hauls it around pretty well. Yours will be a little smaller so I think the 120 should do fine. There's lots of drag on these so don't expect much top speed or aerobatics. About the only thing I can do with it is a loop after a little dive.
Dennis Bryant plans are awesome. There's lots of little bits to cut out but they all fit together nicely. Did you get laser-cut parts from Holman? That'll really save some time. I covered mine with SuperCoverite, which I can't seem to find anymore, so Solartex would work too. You can get it from Balsa USA.
I'll take some digital pics and send them e-mail. I'd be interested to hear your progress on this as it goes along.
Old 08-04-2002, 10:43 PM
Slowbatics

Default 1/4 scale Storch

Thanks TMOTH4. I'll be waiting for the pictures. I'm thinking of using S**** covering on mine. I just found out that the Collings foundation has a Storch based right here in MA. Hope to get there (Stow Ma.) in the next couple of weeks to get some pictures.
Old 08-05-2002, 05:30 PM
JET FX

Default Svenson Storch

Mine is about 25 Y.O. and is still going strong, damn thing can fly backwards into a 5 knot head wind. AUW is about 10 lb and has Y.S. 91 + 18x6 prop this is too much power but great for those stol take offs, An O.S. 90 FS is perfect power! try and over prop any engine you install as you will be at low throttle settings anyway and that big prop will help slow steep decents when at idle. A 120 is way to much power for the Svenson size Storch but thats why we have a throttle so go for it. see my gallery for pics.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20176_2542.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	12161  
Old 10-15-2002, 04:24 PM
Vincent VO

Default 1/4 scale Storch

I also have a Fieseler Storch from Svenson. This plane is almost ready to fly. I just need to solve a problem with engine vibrations. Svenson is not of Sweden, but from my own little country: Belgium. The name Svenson is comes from the following: Sven is the son of the owner of Svenson. They live in Knokke, at the Belgium coast. They stopped producing a long time ago. Now there are appearing again Svenson kits, but i think they are build in Spain.

Bye,
Vincent

ps: I will post some pictures of the Storch as soon as i can.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:32 PM
JET FX

Default Storch

Vincent how about some pics. ? Theres a fellow in a local R/C club actually who also owns a Svenson as well, building a 2/3 scale home built, i have been meaning to contact him and go have a look apparently its almost done complete with German style camo. cant wait to see it fly!
Old 10-15-2002, 05:03 PM
Vincent VO

Default 1/4 scale Storch

I have posted some pics in my gallery. They are not so recent. I know, i have to buy a digital camera.

Bye,
Vincent
Old 10-15-2002, 06:01 PM
JET FX

Default Storch etc.

Vincent- nice pics.
Re- your Storch, be careful with weight in the tail, 'wanna keep it light'
- I placed my elevator and rudder servos under the cockpit floor.

I have to ask about those awesome soaring pics in your gallery. I have done lots off coastal slope soaring in Sydney and east coast of Australia, and I just started drooling when I saw that mountain back drop... where is the location? I want to try that : )

amazing!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	30694_2542.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	12162  
Old 10-15-2002, 07:16 PM
pittsdriver
My Feedback: (7)

Default 1/4 scale Storch

Marty, Is your freind building a Slepchev or Pazmany 2/3 Storch? I did the test flights on a Pazmany and there are a couple of things that need to be changed on the airplane. Have him get ahold of me and I can let him know what I found. Don
Old 10-16-2002, 04:37 PM
Vincent VO

Default 1/4 scale Storch

There are actually two servo's for the elevator placed in the tail, also the rudder servo is there as can be seen in one of the pictures.

This is the url for the soaring paradise:
www.alpedhuez.com
This explains why this place is famous in Europe.

This is the url of the modelclub there:
www.pilotage-modelisme.com/
I assume that you know a little bit of french because you are from Canada.

I will post some more great soaring pictures in the near future of that trip. (taken by my girlfriend).

You also have some nice pics. I also really like jets, but for the moment they are to expensive. Hope you like the Avonds jets.

This is the url of my new flying location.
www.pmf.be
Each year they also organise a very big jet meeting.

Back to the Storch. At the moment i am searching for a good color layout. I have a great book about the Storch, with all the variations in which they have ever flown. The whole history is explained, there is only one problem, the book is written in Polish. I understand it a little bit, but it's not simple.

The engine vibrations are not over. The problem is when the system reaches its own frequency. The result is that i had almost ripped off the nose in an test run. Then i added 2 more silent blocs. The vibration then shifted from 6000 rpm to 3000 rpm. Now i have made the structure more solid (but light). It still appears, but less. Now you ask why use silent blocs. In my previous club, there where very strickt noise regulations. This is a problem that doesn't exist with my 2 new clubs. But to keep modelaviation alive in this dense populated area's, we need to give an example to others how quite it can be. The Pampa Model Fighters are located at an military gun practice range (for F16). There is of course no problem about noise.
At the moment i am waiting for a bigger APC prop, size 18x8. The load has to be sufficient to avoid high rpm. At 6000 rpm, the engine turns 14400 rpm. Keep in mind this is not an brushless engine. After some high speed runs there is always carbon in the engine bay.
And why not an 2 or 4 stroke? Good question. Just to have something different...
I have to admit that the new RCV 120SP looks great for the Storch. Probably a 91 would be sufficient.

Vincent
Old 10-16-2002, 06:08 PM
JET FX

Default Storch/RCV

Vincent- re vibrations, I have never had a concern with vibration on my Storch, I will take some pics of the engine set-up on my Storch for you this weekend, my Storch is packed away in my loft at present.

I also own a RCV-120. I have not run the engine as yet, but plan on trying first in my Brian Taylor Mk XIX Spitfire, then see how the Storch performs, however if you are having concerns with vibration, the RCV's huge props may not help the cause?

As to which engine is the best suited to the Svenson Storch, from experiance I now would personally only use the Y.S.91(supercharged, pumped) or O.S.91 pumped four stroke. As with any 4 stroke engine in stock configuration running inverted will load the plug up in this model as you spend long periods at the lower throttle settings. And its got to be four stroke as the sound is 100% sweeter + larger slower prop is the way for the Storch, if you want to emulate that STOL flight capability.
As to colour schemes, depends if you want to compete? I personally chose Romals desert scheme, sand with green mottle camo. I also like the winter white scheme. Good colour documentation is hard to find, please let me know if you find any colour pics of desert camo Storch's!

Pitts driver- I do not know much about this 2/3 Storch, just heard about it via another modeller. That said Iam very keen to find more info about the homebuilt Storch, please send any info you can on this airplane, I may just build one : ) email- [email protected]

Vincent, some cool jet stuff- http://www.TJT.bz

Cheers-
Old 10-16-2002, 06:50 PM
Vincent VO

Default 1/4 scale Storch

Can i do someone a favour and make a copy of the original Svenson manual of the Storch. This light brown paper is probably more then 20 years old. It has a nice introduction...

Marty, I have 36 colour side views of different Storchs. When I have time to scan the pictures,... Now you have them.

Vincent
Old 12-05-2002, 01:38 AM
aze

Default 1/4 scale Storch

Vicent, did you get a copy of the Svenson manual? If not, email me at :
[email protected]

I will send you a copy via airmail,

AZE
Old 12-06-2002, 07:55 PM
Vincent VO

Default New Storch

Last week i saw a new, original Svenson Storch in my local hobby shop. The box was really old. I think it was 150 euros.

Bye,
Vincent
Old 12-06-2002, 10:25 PM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1/4 scale Storch

My hats off to you boys that built the Svenson Storch ! The wood in mine was so warped it better suited a ship hull. I sold mine to a guy in Kansas. Often wondered if he built it as a plane or canoe? Saw one fly awhile back and sure liked the scale gear on landing. big max 1935
Old 12-07-2002, 01:37 AM
Tmoth4

Default 1/4 scale Storch

I built a Storch from the smaller Dennis Bryant plans from Bob Holman. I enlarged them to 102" and used a G23 in it. I built it about 10 years ago and it's still going strong. The Dennis Bryant plans are a great set, and the parts fit very well. Holman now has them in a larger scale of about 90" or so. He might even have laser cut kits. Click on the gallery button below to see my enlarged one.

Jim
Old 04-29-2003, 07:01 AM
JRN

Default 1/4 scale Storch

Hi fellas,
nice to find some people in this world working on the same project
as me!!

I actually built the Svenson Storch a long time ago but it newer flew.

No that I am able to have direct driven electric power the project came live again. I converted the drawings to 1:5 scale and "reconstructed" the plane for electricity, i.e. much lighter than
the original using less ply and a lot of carbon fibre instead (landing gear, wing struts, cabin tubing etc). So far I have only been collecting materials but work should commence during the summer.

Vincent, as you mentioned the vibrations, how come that is a
problem with an electric engine you have? Engine, gear and propeller being in balace it should be running very smoothly.

I also agree with ozcan about placing the tail servos as Storch is extremely sensitive to having nose-weight. I am planning to place
elevator and rudder servos under or just behind the cabin and
use carbon tubes.

I am looking forward to sharing more ideas with you now that summer is arriving here up in the north as well.

BR, JRN Helsinki, Finland
Old 04-29-2003, 02:08 PM
BillHarris

Default 1/4 scale Storch

Storch heaven!

I've got a set of Bryant/Holman plans for a 1:6 Storch. I'll do it once I get my 1:6 deHavilland Beaver done.

For documentation, Bob Banka has several sets of photos of Storches:
http://www.bobsairdoc.com/ .
Old 04-29-2003, 02:34 PM
Tmoth4

Default 1/4 scale Storch

I built the smaller D. Bryant Storch and flew it for a couple of years before I enlarged the plans for gas. I think you'll enjoy building it. The aileron and flap hinges and the LG take some time. There are a lot of parts to the plane but they fit together nicely.

Jim
Old 05-13-2003, 05:43 PM
Vincent VO

Default 1/4 scale Storch

JRN,

The engine, gear box and prop are off course balanced. But it's the nose structure that vibrates. Even the smallest vibrations (read: frequencies) can cause the destruction of a structure. Everything (buildings,bridges, engine compartments,...) have a certain frequency (at which it start to shake).
I saw once in a movie wind blowing across a big bridge at a certain speed. The frequency was the same as the own frequency (translated from dutch...). After a few minutes the bridge began jumping up and down and collapsed.

How about the Fieseler,

1. Adjusting the structure: making it stiffer increases the own frequency. It's necessary to have this above the highest achievable rpm. But it makes the plane heavier then it already is.

2. Changing certain rpm's:
2.1. Changing prop
2.2. Changing number of cells
2.3. Changing gear ratio

Or a combination.
As soon as i can i will finish my Fieseler. (after my new project)

And its true that the Fieseler is heavy. It was not intended to be used with an electric engine. But if i don't try it, i maybe regret it.

Bye,
Vincent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.