Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Brian Taylor Hellcat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Brian Taylor Hellcat

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 02:54 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brian Taylor Hellcat

I asked the following questions in the Warbird forum and did not receive one answer so I will try here.

Has anyone built and/or flown the Brian Taylor 64" Hellcat? What retracts did you use? Will the Robart 615s work? Did you add flaps? Did you use the fiberglass fuse? How was the fiberglass fuse? Is the outline of the fiberglass fuse scale or is it off? Did it need much prep work? What engine did you use? How much did it weigh? How much scale detail did you put into it? Where did you get the scale documentation (three views)? How did it fly? How was the slow speed handling? How was it on the landing approach? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2002, 05:20 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

Kirk,

I cant answer your questions,....but I do love that plane! Would like to build one myself, but gotta finish the Taylor Spitfire, and P47. On my Spitfire, Shindin here on RCU is doing the retracts for the few of us doing them. He is also going to give me a price to do the ones for my P47. You can get them from Unitracts, but would have to wait over 3 months, that is what Tony over there told me. Good luck with the Hellcat!

Todd
Old 09-06-2002, 08:48 PM
k_sonn

Todd:

I know what you mean about retracts. I have the Brian Taylor Typhoon that I have been wanting to start building but the oleos are on that plane are unique. The axle is not perpendicular to the strut but instead is bent. I am trying to find some one who can make the oleos. I have a set of robart 615s which should work in the Hellcat so I probably will make that my winter project.

Talk to you later,
Old 09-06-2002, 11:26 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

try here........http://www.homestead.com/shindinmachine/
Old 09-11-2002, 05:20 AM
wurger

Default BT Hellcat

Hello k_sonn et al,

I have a BT Hellcat as yours. In reply to your questions:

Yes, have built & flown it.

Retracts are Rhom "twist & turns".

Don't know whether Robart 615's will work (see specific posts by others re: these units & make up your own mind).

Did not add flaps.

No experience of the f/g fuselage for this model, mine is built as BT's plan, but, surprisingly not as light as his - I have considered installing a helium tank to make it weigh less (LOL).

Original engine was "Blackhead" Webra, now re-engined with old, but still good, HP, both 61's of course.

Weight 10lbs. (but loadsa wing area).

Fully covered with typing paper to represent panelling, not much detail in cockpit, but pilot included (as always).

Scale documentation from a vast library collected over 50 years, many books used (many not).

Flew great. Curiously, the aircraft flys "tail down", but this is the "sit" of the full-size". One gets the impression the tail is not rising in the take-off run, but no problem, just unusual.
On landing approach the aircraft settles in nicely. Very similar in flight characteristics to a P-47 (seems to be a similar aerodynamic set-up).

Ensure you retain the washout when sheeting the wing, get the C of G in the correct location (mine is 1/4" forward of that shown on BT's plan - as I always do - I prefer mine a bit less lively than BT likes his). Do these and build it well and you will have a sweet flying machine.

I am not related to BT, but I do "love" his plans (just wish I could buy the same avoirdupois scales!! LOL).

Happy flying,
Regards,
wurger
Old 09-11-2002, 02:55 PM
k_sonn

wurger:

Thanks for the reply. I am looking forward to getting started on this project. I have one other question. I know the rivets used on the fuselage are raised but are the rivets used on the wing raised or flush?

Thanks
Old 09-12-2002, 01:14 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dear Werger

I have this model is storage, may be up for building in a few.
How much nose wieght did you add?

Steve
Old 09-17-2002, 04:43 AM
wurger

Default BT F6F

Howdy SCALECRAFT, k_sonn et al,

According to the books used for my model (words & photos), rivetting on the wing appears to be flush overall - at least thats how I presented the model - I stand to be corrected by somebody who knows for sure.

Noseweight - Despite taking time over selection of wood and with all the radio pushed as far forward as possible, I still needed lead on the firewall. Weight I can't remember, but it is lead, approx. 2"x1"x0.5".

Whereas about 20 years ago I used to be able to send the wife to the model shop to get the wood, either Sig or Graupner. Nowadays over here each sheet has to be selected whenever a model shop is seen - often 1 sheet only (sometimes none!) is worth purchasing, but that is my choice, I could of course accept a higher model weight - and purchase some more lead!!

Happy flying
Best Regards,
wurger
Old 09-17-2002, 02:25 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Wergur

Steve
Old 09-17-2002, 02:43 PM
k_sonn

Thanks Wurger. I should be receiving the Hellcat kit from Bob Holman this week. I can't wait to get started.