Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Beechcraft Staggerwing

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Beechcraft Staggerwing

Old 10-25-2002, 12:30 PM
iFLYrc_Vic
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beechcraft Staggerwing

I am starting to build my 64" Staggerwing and wanted hints and tips on construction. I have not seen many messages or photos of this plane. Is that because I am one of the few people who love the looks of this classic plane or is it because there aren't many kits on the market?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	32202_13229.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	20358  
Old 10-25-2002, 10:50 PM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mainly because there aren't a hole lot of kits, and it's not an easy scratch built project, I've seen a few fly, a little bigger than yours, can't remember the manufacturer, it was a fiberglass and foam design, yes it was this people that used to put out tremendous shows in Iwoa, they still manufacture gasoline. It was a beautiful aiplane, a little on the heavy side, but flew very well, and it was fast, so flaps were very important on this design, so by all means, do implement them and build as light as possible, as its thin ribs are meant for speed and not for floating around. Very worthwhile project, I'd say!
Old 10-25-2002, 11:39 PM
Mike James

Default Beech Staggerwing

Byron is the manufacturer you're thinking of, now owned by Iron Bay Models, at http://www.ironbaymodelcompany.com/

They haven't re-released the kit yet, but still show it on their "Aircraft" page, and may have parts, plans, drawings, etc..

Also, here are the results of a "Google" search I just did for you, at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...ft+Staggerwing

Happy building!
Old 10-30-2002, 03:17 AM
r1morris
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my 2 cents worth. In 1988 I was one safety officer at Scale Masters, In that event there were no less then 3 Staggerwings. Once airborn they all handled very well. On the ground however they all groundlooped something terrible. That was before the time that a gyro was allowed on rudder. A year after scale masters I saw one of the planes that had been at the contest with a gyro on the rudder. Take-offs and landings were outstanding.
Old 10-30-2002, 04:16 AM
moodier

Just curious saw your posting.I have the Ray Dehn plane from the 12/75 RCM mag.Don't know what to do got it at a swap,fuselage part built,has set of foam wing blocks cut by some outfit that does that.Apparently being built from the plans 3 big sheets,he even had the RCM mag that featured it.Looks like a real bear to build,supposed to have retracts etc.interesting that it was only powered by a ST 61 today would be considered awful small by todays standards.I had posted to see if anyone had any experience with this plane but got no replies.Wonder if it is the same plane as you have as it is a 64" also.They are a really neat plane but there isn't much in line of kits for them.
Old 10-30-2002, 07:27 PM
iFLYrc_Vic

Default Staggerwing

Moodier:
The plane you have is from the RCM Magazine. I have one that was cut from Sid Morgan plans (same plane and size but different designer). I got an email from a guy who built your plane but did not use the foam wings. He said the plane flew well with an OS 91 four stroke. Unfortunately, he had a flame out and was not able to make it back to the field. The damage is reparable.

I think my plane will come in at about 12-14 lbs finished. This will be a bout 28-30 oz/sq ft wing loading so it will definately not be a floater. The full scale planes were pretty hot (fast) and all the info I have gathered on the models says that they are also fast and tend to fall out of the sky on flame out.

I plan to go with at least a 1.20 four stroke as I have one in my Top Flite Cessna and it is pretty reliable.

The picture shows the paint scheme I plan to use. It is a D17 and mine is a G17. There were only 20 G17 models built so the color choice from full scales in very limited.
Regards,
Vic

Name:	33075_13229.jpg
Views:	187
ID:	20359  
Old 10-31-2002, 09:57 PM
Aerodoc
My Feedback: (2)

Very interesting that you should picture the particular Staggerwing. I have a very intimate knowledge of it, as I restored the aircraft from a basket case about 1980-1983. The pictured airplane, NC 18028, serial 147, was the first production D-17S.........I SAID D-17S...........to have the P&W 985 installed.
The airplane is now flying in England, and I am curious as to where you got the photo. It is finished in butyrate dope. I forget the yellow, but the green was an Imron color...bright green, and it has a gold border.

Nick Ziroli is now in the process of designing a D-17S, 1/4 scale, to be flown at next years top gun. I have been giving him info regarding the Stag. I own Doc's Aero Service, Inc. Sandwich IL, and we specialize in the Beech Stag. You may want to wait for his plans to come out.

Bern "DOC" [email protected]
Old 11-07-2002, 12:54 AM
sblack

Hi Bern,

Would you know what drawings Nick is using for his? Would you know of any full scale drawings that are available?

Thanks

Scott Black
Montreal
Old 11-07-2002, 02:12 AM
Aerodoc

Hi Scott. I don't know of any full scale drawings available. I have a nearly complete set of original Beechacraft drawings for the Staggerwing but these are production type drawings and not suitable for modeling work. I don't know where Nick got his information for his original planform, but I have been supplying details to him on his request. If you can find the book "Staggerwing" by R.T.Smith,(I just sent Nick my copy) it is the bible and would go a long way to help the modeler. I personally plan to build Ziroli's Staggerwing when he finalizes his drawings. He is presently building and developing the plans at the same time. The Staggerwing previously sold as a kit by Byron did not look right to me for scale. Also, it was a "G" model, which is prized by the collector, but for my money was not as good an airplane as the "D", just more rare as only 20 were built. Sorry I can't be of more help, but maybe the foregoing will be of some assistance.............Bern "DOC" Yocke
Old 11-07-2002, 02:04 PM
iFLYrc_Vic

Default Staggerwing Photo

Doc,
I have searched the internet high and low for information and photos of the Staggerwing. The best site that I found was http://fp.staggerwing.f9.co.uk
There is a plethera of stuff on this site including photos, aircraft history, technical specs, etc. I think I got the photo from there. I could not see the gold border inthe photos. Do you have any additional information on this plane?

I got the kit back from the cutters and it looks like I have some work ahead of me. The wood alone weights about 11 pounds. Take out some for triming and we are probably looking at 12-15 pounds finished.

This is the first scratch built plane I have built and it will be interesting. I would like to build this one as close to scale as possible and may have to go with a G17 paint scheme for contest purposes.

Regards,
Vic
Old 11-07-2002, 02:53 PM
G.F. Reid

For anyone that might be interested, Royal carried a smaller D-17 at 56" ws produced by Marutaka. It's still available through Hobby Barn in Arizona. www.hobbybarn.com
Old 11-07-2002, 03:34 PM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

William Wylam generated a set of scale drawings on all of the variants of the Staggerwing. Available from Model Airplane News.

Les
Old 11-07-2002, 04:54 PM
Aerodoc

Other than the cowling, windshield, vertical fin, and gear doors, the paint scheme is pretty well standard for the Stag. The factory offered paint options to the customers own design, some of which were really wild. If you are building a "G" model then obviously you would use the G scheme, basic difference on the cowl. The stylized bird stripe on the fuse was essentially the same as the D except the body of the "bird" was a bit longer. If you are building the D model, then for contest purposes you would want to stick with the D scheme on the cowl.

The plane you originally pictured was my personal airplane. It was built in June of 1936 as a civillian D-17S, had a 3 digit serial number (147) as opposed to the 4 digit serial numbers (ie 6897) which I also owned and it built in 1942. A minor difference in the civilian vs military D-17S was the side windows which were 1" narrower on the civilian models, not readilly discernable. Basically, there are not enough people out there to really know the details and differences of the Staggerwing, so most of the "critics" are just that. Wylams master plans are not entirely accurate either, but a very good start for detail, etc.

Good luck with your project and keep me posted.

Doc
Old 11-07-2002, 05:54 PM
iFLYrc_Vic

Default Beech Ser NO. 147

You are listed as one of the owners and restorers of the one in the photo. Check out the web site at:
http://fp.staggerwing.f9.co.uk
There are a bunch of photos of this plane on this web site.
Thanks for all the info and at a closer look, there are gold stripes that border the green.

The book by Robert T. Smith is out of print and others don't look very good. (Phillips)

I'll keep you posted on my progress. You've been a great help so far.

Name:	34308_13229.jpg
Views:	107
ID:	20360  
Old 11-05-2004, 03:15 PM
BUDSEA

Default RE: Beechcraft Staggerwing

This may be the set of plans I am looking for. Where did you get the plans? Any comments on the building and flying would be appreciated.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:33 PM
iFLYrc_Vic

I have collected a boat load of documentation on the Staggerwing. Recently, a friend of mine got a chance to take some pictures of a full scale Staggerwing while it was sitting in the hanger. Another friend had been collecting magazine articles and other documentation for years with the intention of building a model. He gave me his scrap book containing nearly 100 pages of photos and articles on the Staggerwing. So, I have everything I need to build a model perfectly to scale if I desire.

The Robert Sweitzer Plans are also the best I have been able to find. I have 3 or 4 sets of plans but his are the most acurate for the G17 model. The plans are sold by Vintage RC Plans. Here is a link to their web site:

http://www.vintagercplans.com/

Tell Fred I sent you (he problably won't remember me since it has been a couple of years).

BTW, you can follow the progress on my project on the forum at my web site at:
http://iflyrc.hypermart.net

Good Luck.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:00 PM
the-plumber

Sorry for chiming in late on this . . .

If you can contact a modeler in the Tullahoma TN area, he might be willing to drop by the Staggerwing Museum and snag a few detailed photos of :

http://www.staggerwing.com/collection/NC19467.shtml

It's a Stag in the bones - no covering anywhere, and you can see _all_ the construction details.

Very impressive wood work there.

Last time I was in the museum there were several airworthy Stags on display. I'm sure they were airworthy because they were still leaking oil.

OTOH if you're up to a bit of a drive, Tullahoma is only several hundred miles from you.
<G>
Old 11-05-2004, 08:07 PM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

I have built and flow the smaller Royal model of the Staggerwing and will include a link to a couple of threads that might give you some data on builduing and flying characteristics. With a scale interior, etc. it flew very well on a Saito .91.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1579613/anchors_1623237/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#1623237]1st thread on Staggerwing[/link]

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1871974/anchors_1880100/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#1880100]2nd thread on Staggerwing[/link]
Old 11-07-2011, 06:09 AM
DentureDude

I have a Ray Dahn Beech Staggerwing G scale 90% Built (by Grandpa) from scratch with plans and templates. Also have originall artical from 74 or 1975 issue of R/C Modelers Magazine. Looking to trade or sell. I'm into flying but biulding from scratch is not my thing. I guess im spoiled to bind and fly or RTF's.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:29 AM
OldScaleGuy

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I flew a Byron's Staggerwing for 10 + years. Great flyer but definately needs the gyro on rudder for ground handling. Before the gyro it was like a pig on ice after installation it became joy on the ground as well. It might be one of the ones that r1morris mentioned. I did take it to a few Scale Masters.