Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Best scale photo!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Best scale photo!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 04:25 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Yeah...

People, people, people,

Starting a thread called !QUOT!photos that were'nt good enough for Scale Photo thread!QUOT! is not necessary. Anyone can post a pic of their scale plane any time. And many do...on the coffee table, picnic table, front yard, etc.
They're all over the place on this site. The title of the thread usually starts out with !QUOT!check out my...!QUOT!
Why go through the trouble of putting awesome scale airplanes mediocrely shot in an organized thread?
That's been done. In fact, one of the largest and longest running threads on RCU was just such a thread...nice looking airplanes in un-thought about environs. No problem with that...unless you're posting that shot in this thread. Why do people think that you are criticizing their airplane by pointing out the non scaleness of the rest of the photo.
As far as Mustang creating a separate site...why? The people who are interested in these photos are right here, obviously. What is so wrong with having a thread with specific posting guidelines? Why is this a problem. If you don't like the guidelines then don't post. if you don't like the guidelines, your photo probably doesn't fit the guidelines. To take a scale photo, the likes of the better ones here, does not take a degree from the Brooks institute of photography. It simply requires laying on your stomach and caring about what is in the background of the photo...that's it period. In fact, I would boil it down to just !QUOT!caring a little bit!QUOT!. I know we all get excited to get some shots of that newly finished bird, but you can't just open the garage door, roll it out in the drive or yard and take a picture. It takes a little thought and planning, a little location scouting, a little bit of effort. If you don't have that, this thread has no room for you. Nothing wrong whatsoever with that shot of your cute 4-year-old and that awesome plane on the back patio, this just isn't the place to post it.
I personally would like to see posts not meeting the criteria removed, after proper lambasting of-course. It is very clear what this thread is about and I fail to see why some keep objecting to the premise. I would like to see harsher criticism for blatently not following the guidelines...as they have been made extremely clear.
Sorry to rant, it is just simply annoying to see political posts in here instead of scale photos of beautiful scale aircraft. Mustang 51 should never have to defend himself even once in this thread. He has had to many, many times. But, oddly enough, never from anyone with a great SCALE PHOTO!!!

Back in my hole now,
and those cognizant of, and following the guidelines, keep those awesome photos coming.
Paul Reese
Old 12-08-2003, 04:43 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would also like to see all the non-relivant stuff removed, that would include any of my posts not related to posting or saying WOW!
here's a shot to prove just how easy scale shots are on my NON-SCALE! plane. do this for some of your scale jobs and your away
Old 12-08-2003, 05:45 PM
JGrc
My Feedback: (29)

BT Spit doing it's thing (as the eye sees it)

JG
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42102.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	80810   Click image for larger version

Name:	He10472.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	80811  
Old 12-08-2003, 06:33 PM
SDCrashmaster

JG,
Just lovely!
Old 12-08-2003, 06:41 PM
iflynething

DUDE...........SDCRASHMASTER.............YOU REALLY COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER. I COMPLETLEY AGREE THAT..............MUSTANG51 SHOULD HAVE TO NEVER DEFEND HIMSELF.............HE THOUGHT OF THIS THREAD........HE CONTROLS WHAT HE THINKS.....AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE WHAT HE SAYS.......THEN JUST FORGET IT AND DON'T LOOK AT THIS THREAD EVER AGAIN....................YOU KNOW IF YOUR PICTURE DOESN'T HAVE THE SCALE LOOK AND PHOTO QUALITY THAT MUSTANG51 WANTS...........I'LL SAY IT AGAIN.........THIS IS A GREAT THREAD.........ACTUALLY IT IS THE BEST..............
Old 12-08-2003, 07:57 PM
Juice

Guys,

Take a look at [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=1334069&tostyle=tm]Post #568[/link].

I think Don Panek did a very honorable thing by removing the post of his unscale photo. You can see from Post #569 that Mustang51 promptly re-posted the thread requirements, then later that day Don respectfully edited the post and removed the photo. I'm sure it was a very nice scale airplane in that photo, but Don realized that it didn't belong in this thread. Why can't people be more like him?

Maybe Mustang51 can get "superuser" rights to this thread only, which will give him the authority to remove any post that doesn't fit the requirements.

Juice
Old 12-08-2003, 08:02 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Stearman!

Here is my 1/3 scale Balsa USA Stearman landing at Triple Tree Aerodrome at Joe Nall 2003.

Dave McQ

Name:	Jh15852.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	80845  
Old 12-08-2003, 08:37 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: SDCrashmaster
As far as Mustang creating a separate site...why?
Paul Reese
Simply because this is a public forum and he has absolutely no control over the content of this thread. There are all kinds of irrelevant posts in it such as yours that I'm quoting and mine right now. I'm not saying that he's wrong and sure, he doesn't need to defend himself. He keeps doing that, but it's entirely unnecessary.

If he has his own site, then he has 100% control over how it is constructed, what the content is, etc. Seems to me it would save him a lot of headaches.

Or, he can have a thread in a public forum and let people have at it and get frustrated every time something appears in it that he doesn't approve of.

It's simple stress-management. It was a suggestion for his own peace of mind. Had nothing to do with what I personally believe the right thing to do is.

My point being that if I were he, and I wanted to be totally in control of what happens, I would not open it up to the public to do with it what they will. That would just frustrate me.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:55 PM
Mustang51
My Feedback: (25)

Default RE: Stearman!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the support and understanding!
I don't wish to start a web site or anything of the like. I only wanted to see some "Scale Photos" on a site that already had the "interested" crowd. it's a nice thought but not for me. If anyone wants to start one and link it from here or visa versa, it's fine by me if that makes a difference.
You're right Juice about Don, he did do the honorable thing. I have no wish to have "absolute" control over this thread. I think if I just continue to post the "requirements" now and again, we can keep this pretty tight.

iflynething, you can start any thread you want, I won't be offended. The reason I started this one in the first place was because there were so many of that same thing you want to do. I wanted to take it a step further by starting this one. Alot of people have completely mis understood this thread from the start. They don't realize it's more about the Photograph and less about the "picture".
Fortunately, there are quite a few of you out there that appreciate what it takes to really capture the modeled aircraft and make you say"is that the real one, or a model"?
I guess we just have a more discerning eye.

I like that Spit, JGrc.

-Mustang51
Old 12-09-2003, 12:37 AM
Paul Terry

Default HMMMMMM

Here is an idea,
If there is a prize or a winner in this
thread than you don't have to worry
about someone posting a bad picture
right?

I mean after all,,, If they want to win
they will post a good picture.
I don't know just a thought.
[:-]
Old 12-09-2003, 01:03 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HMMMMMM

My NWHT Gee Bee Y 90" at Zillah, WA.

Name:	Rp43246.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	80926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12815.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	80927  
Old 12-09-2003, 05:34 AM
Cactus.

no-one can remove a post now, the entire thread would go. the best you can do is edit it.
sadly this thread has gone very off track, and it is Mustangs right to be able to stear the thread where he wants.
now lets PLEASE!!!!!! get back to decent pics, the Spit looks great, the Stearman too
Old 12-09-2003, 03:01 PM
iflynething

Everyone,

Would you have any idea on what I should call the new thread.........No never mind......people should know by now what Mustang51 wants......and if they post the wrong kind, I guess we can politely ask them to edit the post and remove the "non-scale" picture. By, the way, how do you edit a post.....like one that I post.......how do I do that......I am always learning new things.............

AGAIN..........INCREDIBLE THREAD.............AND GREAT and MARVERLOUS PICTURES.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-09-2003, 04:03 PM
Paul Terry

Default Editing

Underneath your message you have
options like PM, Gallery, Search etc.
One of those options is Edit! Enjoy!
Old 12-09-2003, 04:58 PM
DaveGee

Default RE: Best scale photo!

Here is a picture of my 1/6 scale Aerotech P-47D. Weighs 34 pounds, flies on Brison-Sachs 4.2 gas motor. Drops bombs and center external fuel tank. Pneumatic Robart gear; sequences doors and gear at scale speeds. Replica of 56th FG commander Col. David Schilling, "Hairless Joe".

Name:	Fd93244.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	81070  
Old 12-09-2003, 05:50 PM
Paul Terry

Default Best scale photo!

Whoo hoooo!
I love the P-47s!
They are my All time favorite Airplane.
They were one of the toughest airplanes of WWII out there.
Thats what I call a Scale Airplane.. We have a winner! hahaha
Old 12-09-2003, 08:54 PM
iflynething

Thanks Paul.......I really feel stupid now.............I have looked down there but have found nothing......but now that you tell me I now see it......THANKS.........I LOVE THIS THREAD.....................PEOPLE ARE SO HELPFUL......PLUS I GET TO LOOK @ GORGEOUS PLANES.........WHAT MORE COULD YOU ASK FOR.........???????? I guess another plane or two.................or three............or four...........
Old 12-10-2003, 07:25 AM
Mustang51
My Feedback: (25)

DaveGee,

That is awesome. Made my personal favorites list ,that's for sure.

-Mustang51
ORIGINAL: DaveGee

Here is a picture of my 1/6 scale Aerotech P-47D. Weighs 34 pounds, flies on Brison-Sachs 4.2 gas motor. Drops bombs and center external fuel tank. Pneumatic Robart gear; sequences doors and gear at scale speeds. Replica of 56th FG commander Col. David Schilling, "Hairless Joe".
Old 12-10-2003, 01:15 PM
SDCrashmaster

Gorgeous jug for sure.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:45 PM
Mel Francis

Nice, low camera angle!

As a rough guide, here are some camera heights, in relation to their various scales, that will replicate a photo taken by a scaled down photographer.

1/3 scale............22.0" to ground
1/4 ...................16.5"
1/5 ...................13.0"
1/6 ...................11.0"
1/7 .....................9.5"
1/8 .....................8.2"
1/10 ...................6.5"
Old 12-10-2003, 01:54 PM
iflynething

Thanks Cannon, I will keep this reply in my -mail so I can use it for future reference!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2003, 05:58 PM
DaveGee

Thanks for the kind words. I'm fairly new to r/c flying, but this was an excellent kit to do some superdetailing, which I like to do. The exhaust from the engine, for instance, comes out the scale stacks on either side of the cowl. I am looking into taking it to England next year to fly it out of the same field (Boxted) that Schilling and the 56th FG flew out of exactly 60 years earlier, as part of an airshow scheduled there next August. Also, I plan to enter it in the Scale Masters contest next year, if all goes well.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:06 PM
couchflyer

Great P-47 DG.

Good Luck next year!
Old 12-10-2003, 08:37 PM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

I was looking for a plane to buy and found this on RCU. Custom Built scratch. Not my plane, but wish it was! Please Santa can I have it? .
Old 12-10-2003, 11:07 PM
SDCrashmaster

Santa says yes. But insists that you edit your post until you actually take a SCALE PHOTO of the plane. Not simply a photo of a scale plane... a SCALE PHOTO of a scale plane. This is the 600th post in this thread. If counted, I wouldn't be surprised if 200 of them deal with what is appropriate to post in this thread. It amazes me that someone would still post a picture with a humongus house in the background. If your new to this thread, take a few to peruse the previous posts first. I swear, we are getting one out of ten that meet the criteria. I find it simply amazing. It is worse than it was when this concept was new and confusing. I could see it if there were no innapropriacies fro several pages or so, but just three or four posts up we go over the whole concept in detail for the hundreth time.
wow.
Am I alone here...or is it time to get out the lambasting stick?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.