Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
 New: Beech Baron and Duchess arf >

New: Beech Baron and Duchess arf

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

New: Beech Baron and Duchess arf

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 10:14 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New: Beech Baron and Duchess arf

Just to avoid confusion, this is my account that I use for general hobby posts. Forgot to sign in to scaleflying..
Old 03-29-2009, 07:39 AM
My Feedback: (13)

Now you're talking. A kingair at 85" +. Hope you have an option to leave it unpainted?
Old 03-29-2009, 10:23 AM

Yes, just like the Baron 58, the King Air will also be available in white gel coat.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:52 AM

What options for power will we have (glow/electric motor size)? Do you have an idea of the weight of the plane yet?
Old 03-30-2009, 12:54 AM

Woops, looks like .46 size...as found on an earlier post.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:25 PM

Ok guys, as promised here are some pics of the prototypes. Im using two eflite power 46's and plan on trying a variety of battery combinations. Pneumatic retracts, the production models should be around 11 lbs or under depending on options. This picture just shows the shape but does not have all the panel lines and details the production model will. All your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96053.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1182273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79966.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1182274   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52575.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1182275  
Old 04-17-2009, 08:45 PM

WOW! Looks great so far!
Old 04-18-2009, 12:13 AM

If anyone would like to offer suggestions / ideas to incorporate into the baron 58 please feel free to list them. I will try to finalize this airplane into production shortly after SEFF. What pet peeves do you guys have in regards to ARF's that can changed for the better.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:35 AM

Make them available unpainted!
Old 04-18-2009, 09:25 AM

White and probably two types of paint styles will be available.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:28 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Wow, She really looks good. I can't wait to hear what everyone says after SEFF.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:01 PM

Wow, I can't quit looking at the prototype pics. I sure hope this baby really comes alive. Still planning on attending SEFF scale flying? Are you the one who is going to offer the scale retracts, if so, do you have any pics of them yet? Sorry for all the questions, this baby has really got me hyped up. I already have her pictured in my mind coming in on final with everything hanging out all dirty with the lights flashing.
Best Regards
Old 04-19-2009, 07:51 PM

The prototype is just so I can get an idea on how she flies. The difference is the production model will have all the panel lines and details molded into the fuse. All the doors will be working, and there will be a full cockpit with 6 seats and interior details. As far as the landing gear, Id love to hear some feedback in regards to retracts. I know that alot of mfg leave that part up to you because of user preferece. I have designed the lightweight aluminum scale struts to look just like the real thing, and they can easily be adapted to mainly robarts or spring air retracts, or anything that will accept the 7/16 strut. Right now im using robart retracts, until I get the scale gear back to test. Lighting will be installed in the airplane. As of right now, the maiden looks to be within the week. Fully loaded weight with retracts, two eflite power 46's and im going to try and just use 1 battery, a 5S 5000 to power her for the first flight .. 11.5 lbs. Im thinking that the production model will have less weight once I get the aluminum retracts on. The production models will be made of light weight epoxy glass instead of the polyester im using on this prototype. One of my biggest goals here is to make sure she lands nice and easy with no bad habits or tip stalls at low speeds. Will be starting to pack it all up for SEFF shortly. Again, if anyone has any good suggestions on construction, hardware, paint, etc.. please let me know. Thanks

Name:	Pn36454.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1183588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av70053.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1183589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74697.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1183590  
Old 04-19-2009, 08:52 PM

Scale, It really sounds like you have every angle covered. As far as retracts go, just let everyone know what unit is supposed to be used, and then we will buy ourselves. You supplying the scale 7/16 beech struts with the kit would be great. I think that 11.5 lbs sounds very reasonable for the first prototype. What is your projected wing loading? As far as scale paint schemes go, why don't you get a few together that you like, then run a poll here on RCU and see what kind of feedback you get. I think the two schemes you are showing now are great. All I know is that when the main stream scale RC'ers see this baby, they are going to flip. I know that I am.
She's a beauty for sure.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:11 PM

Scale, I think that if this thread got moved to the multi/twin section or mabey another area, you would get a whole lot more feedback for your questions and wanted opinions. I just don't think many people know about this airframe yet, although I don't think this will be a problem during and after SEFF.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:09 PM
My Feedback: (62)

Looking good buddy! We're all waiting to hear about the maiden flight.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:28 PM

The biggest killer of fiberglass arfs that I have seen is weight. If you can keep the plane light, built for flight, you should be ok. I purchased the Top flight Cessna 310 last year and found the fuselage way overbuilt in regards to strength vs weight. I can't lighten the fuselage, so I'm scratch-building a new wing to try and get the wing loading down (more wing area, foam and balsa construction). The wing with engines and retracts weighed 13lbs, the fuselage 8lbs. I weighed the Byron Originals Baron I own and the fiberglass parts (minus wing and stab) came to something like 6 pounds.

The second problem (for me anyway) was a pneumatic gear that gave me such headaches with all the air leaks I converted them to mechanical instead. I spent 30+ hours troubleshooting the leaks without success.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this project come to fruition...this airplane has been one of my favorite airplanes of all time.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:36 PM

Boeing, your comments much appreciated. I am doing my best to make sure the wing loading is as light as I can possibly get it and still keep the plane scale. I also purchased the TF 310 and the first thing I did was remove the 2+ lbs of weight in the nose. Not an easy task, but it made a big difference. The stated wing loading on that 310 seemed pretty high but i was actually impressed with the way she flew. I also agree with you on the landing gear. I have been working with a company that makes electronic retracts, but my big concern is reliability. Which ever way people choose to go, I will make sure that the plane is configured for retracts of all types. Baron # 2, the white/red/gray is completed and ready to fly but wont see any air time until after SEFF. Unfortunately it took me quite a bit longer to finish them. I was hoping to have more time to test fly and get familiar with it before SEFF. This late in the game, I cant take the chance of an accident now. I will fly after the show and give some more specifics on the maiden flight.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:34 PM

That's ok, Scale Flying, take your time to get things right. As it is, I'll be looking forward with great interest in picking up one of your kits. I especially am interested to see the extra touches you did such as to the landing gear detail. My very first scale plane was a Royal Baron I built from scratch. I may build my Byron kit someday, but your looks even nicer than that plane did. I can't tell from the pictures, but were you able to make the scale corrugations on the flaps and stabilizer, or will they be smooth?
Old 04-21-2009, 09:14 PM

Im so glad you asked about the surface of the moving control surfaces. Yes, they will have the corrugations. I forgot to mention that. Im looking to find a way to remove the exposed control rods on the ailerons and flaps. There are a few ways on the drawing board now, but not sure which way to go. I have the royal baron kit but never got around to building it. How does yours fly? Weight? Wing loading?
Old 04-21-2009, 11:16 PM

The plane flew really well; very stable. I was able to get the everything working on this plane including the spring air retracts. Judging from your numbers, it should be pretty close in size to your plane. All up weight was 11 lbs, due to my overbuilding the wing. Wing loading was 37 oz/sq ft. Still, I was very pleased with it's flight capabilities. I used 2 fox 40's for power. Here's a shot of it in its glory days...sadly I no longer have it...

Name:	Yw68725.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	1184997  
Old 04-24-2009, 02:14 AM

Hello Scale Flying! I am glad to see the Baron project coming along so nicely. However there is one issue thats got me slightly bothered namely the shape of the nose section. I think this and also the shape of the windscreen is probably the most difficult part to model on this aircraft; angles everywhere! The nose section projects out straight for a few inches before it starts tapering. Hopefully you can incorporate this slight "kink" in later models.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:59 AM

On this model, the nose does come out a bit before it starts to taper downward. At first it took me a bit to get used to but I have checked this against the mfg plans and its pretty accurate.
I can tell you that the windscreen is not accurate and was not formed correctly but was quickly made for the prototype testing purposes. That will be corrected . If you see something different
that I do not see, please let me know or clarifly a bit more about the nose? Thank you
Old 04-24-2009, 01:29 PM

Scale Flying, your efforts to make the plane as scale as possible is to be commended!! I think very few manufacturers make the effort to get everything right from the start and subsequently carry the mistakes right through the production life of the model. There might be two more areas apart from the windscreen that may require your attention namely the post behind the front opening door and the first big side window looks too thin and the nosewheel needs to be set back a little bit. I am not sitting with scale drawings in front of me and apologise if I am incorrect. We cant wait to see the final product!!
Old 05-10-2009, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow... that Baron looks FANTASTIC!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.