Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Scale poseable pilot making

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Scale poseable pilot making

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 06:30 PM
P4Patti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Scale poseable pilot making

Hi Johnny, I don't have a civilian with hard helmet at the moment but it can certainly be done - in various scales. Could you post a pic of the type of helmet you are after? What is an iconic civilian face that would suit? - post a pic. How about a female?

I'm currently working on 3 heads - the Pappy Boyington is basically done, we're just playing with doing a removable moulded cap. Not that he needs that but there are quite a few heads which are iconically recognizable in dress uniform with dress cap or crusher cap but for flying would have worn a flight cap. We'd like to have the same head with choice of head gear. Pappy still has to have some arms to finish him off but that will happen in due course. His uniform is done and the Mae West basically done, just needs straps etc but I've been trying different materials and various paddings to see which looks right. I've settled on a very simple non padded stiffish PVC which looks like the B-1.

The other heads in progress are Doug Campbell - a long promised US WWI pilot (from about page 1 of this forum I think!) He is one who will hopefully be moulded with hair and have removable flight cap and service cap. He has just been started and will be the first 1/3 scale pilot. The 1/3 body mould is being made for that, the body was half cut but not yet made into a mould.

The other one due to be started as well is 2nd Lt, James Everett Kennedy "Stew" Stewart. Stew was a B-17 pilot in WWII and is still alive and well today. Stew will be moulded as a 1/9th head to go into the B-17 being built by his son but we will also turn him into a fighter pilot in larger scales - 1/6th through to 1/4 or 1/3 . He will be modelled with crusher cap but also offered with flight cap as a fighter pilot. Stew flew the Chow Hound missions into Holland at the end of the war and there are many great stories from him which makes this project special. It certainly adds another dimension to pilot making with the real characters, particularly when they are still here.

And then there's the website which needs some serious work but once Pappy is finished and we're well under way with Stew we'll make some time to get that happening. In the meantime, happy building

cheers
Patti
Old 10-16-2010, 07:08 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

is there a current website?
Old 10-16-2010, 07:33 AM
P4Patti

Not yet JL1. We've got as far as registering a domain name, organizing hosting and buying a shop front template. Now it needs some time to get products and prices listed with photos etc. Once we've got the US pilots finished - European and Pacific theatre - with the uniform patterns sorted with instructions, then we'll spend the time and get the site operating. Chipping away but things take longer than we would like. Probably within a month or 2 it should be operating though.

I've just been given a more than half finished 1/3 scale Fokker DR-1 and Richard is going to finish it off for me. I'm very excited as I'll be able to put my own Manfred Von Richthofen in it.

Tomorrow we'll be cutting the first trial of Doug Campbell and I've started doing the 3D of Stew. Pappy is in a state of semi finished and I'd like to post pics but he looks too rough with half painted bits, half sewn bits and foam arms! Lots of projects happening tho and things will get quicker over time and we add to the collection.

cheers
Patti

Old 10-31-2010, 06:34 AM
P4Patti

Hi again and just to let you know that things are still moving along with bodies and bits The 1/3 scale body mould is finished and we made a body a couple of days ago. He's a big guy! I'll attach a pic of the 1/3, 1/4 and 1/5 beside each other for comparison. We've moulded and cast a 1/4 and 1/5th scale Pappy and have done a separate moulding of the cap/goggles and the head.. That allowed us to put a chin strap on and I'm pretty pleased with the way it came out. I posed the arms in a classic pose for him with a ciggy in one hand as we already have arms in the flying position, so just something different. They've been cut, moulded and cast in both 1/4 and 1/5th scales.

The Doug Campbell (America's first WWI Ace) has had some minor adjustments to his face then recut in 1/3 scale and moulded and cast and I'm currently painting him up. I made a cloth side cap and really liked the look of this instead of a moulded one and it means that it can be taken off and replaced with a leather flying cap. In 1/3 it's very feasible to do this and have it look convincing. He has to have hands posed, cut, moulded and cast for him and also 1/3 scale boots.

The other head we've started is Stew, the bomber pilot who will also be a fighter pilot (European Theatre) - mind you, any of the heads can be put onto a body and dressed in any uniform - real mix and match. We've sent 3D files of Stew's head to the one who knows him best and had the tick of approval so have done a trial cut. The wax had a bit of a dip in the middle where it shrank while cooling so unfortunately the tip of his nose and the peak of the cap was squared off so he'll be recut. He looked pretty good and I couldn't resist doing a quick mould and casting him just to see him properly as the wax had lots of white flecks through it which made it a bit hard to see features.

We have our daughter helping set up the website - listing and photographing each of the products, with a bit of bribery . It's amazing how many things we've amassed when you start to list everything [X(] I have a pile of bits to paint before they can be photographed and things to sew to make up patterns and photograph but we've also started flying again regularly which is fantastic. We're even getting the 1/4 scale Boomerang moulded and just made one wing mould so not much action on the pilot front tonight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	yv66226.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1525936   Click image for larger version

Name:	kf14606.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	1525937   Click image for larger version

Name:	ej11974.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1525938   Click image for larger version

Name:	bu58762.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1525939  
Old 10-31-2010, 06:42 AM
P4Patti

I meant to put this pic of Stew in as well. Probably doesn't look like much all in white but interesting anyway.

Cheers
Patti
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92766.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	1525952  
Old 10-31-2010, 06:53 AM
Kometfreak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please make Manfred available in 1/4 scale as there are quite a few 1/4 scale DR1's out there.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:06 AM
P4Patti

For sure Kometfreak. Once Manfred's head - and uniform - are done they can be scaled. He is my next project once I've completed all these things on the go at the moment.

cheers
Patti
Old 10-31-2010, 07:50 AM
Brad330l
My Feedback: (1)

Well done once again Patti.
When your company is listed on the ASX I will buy shares.

Cheers,

Brad
Old 10-31-2010, 08:36 AM
JL1

I have a 1/4 scale Camel and I think I should have a Roy Brown for it

http://www.constable.ca/caah/brown.htm
Old 11-01-2010, 04:01 AM
P4Patti

Hey Brad, your confidence is encouraging but I don't think we should give up the day job just yet

JL1 - after reading that link I agree, you should have an Arthur Roy Brown in your Camel but remind me again in about 6 months when I've cleared the current list After Manfred there'll an be Eric Hartmann and probably a Japanese pilot to add to the nationalities. I know there have been a number of requests for civilians as well so will have to throw a couple of them in the mix as well. That's enough to keep me occupied for the foreseeable future

cheers
Patti
Old 11-01-2010, 06:55 AM
JL1

Patti, I will mark my calendar :-)
Old 11-10-2010, 06:33 AM
Brad330l

Patti, I think there is a few of us who would like weekly updates.
Do you think you could fit this in??
What is happening in the shop? AND, the web site?

Cheers,

Brad
Old 11-10-2010, 07:40 AM
P4Patti

Hi Brad

I understand what you're saying and I will try to make time to post regularly. Things are happening but it's such a big step to go from making individual pilots to a shop. We are trying ways to make things quicker and therefore more affordable for you guys. Been working on building a rotary moulding machine to save time in the casting process, a light box for photographing the items, getting other ladies to make up my patterns to make sure they go together as they should and fit properly and doing the website. It's a big leap on from the static display type website that we've done in the past to a shop-front but we're hoping to have the website functional by Christmas.

I've been designing a flight suit which is initially for Douglas Campbell but also useful for many others. That has been done in 1/3 scale for Doug but available in the other sizes as well. The first prototype has been done and now it's back to refining the pattern and then doing the instructions. I'm doing basic instructions that even the most beginner sewer can follow and that takes time. The feed back from my guinea pigs is that they need photos not just written instructions so I need to do that.

The bodies will be available in 1/6, 1/5, 1/4 and 1/3 initially and later 40% if there's a demand. With the 1/6 scale we're planning on only doing bodies as there's so much available in that size already from the well known brands.

Will keep you posted

cheers
Patti
Old 11-10-2010, 08:26 AM
Brad330l

Dont want to rush you Patti, Just would like to know what is happening now and then. Just love this stuff.
Great news about the web site. Congrats.

Cheers,

Brad
Old 11-11-2010, 12:06 PM
alexzach777
My Feedback: (25)

Hi Patti,

Been following your "thread" for some time now, incredible results to date and can't wait until your "storefront" is up and running. Keep up the great work, and enjoy your summer "dopwn under", as the snow is flying here in Western Canada!

Cheers,

Jeff
Old 11-12-2010, 07:22 AM
P4Patti

Snow! Now there's a foreign concept to us in the subtropics

I've finally put a little bit of time into the painting again and have the 1/4 scale Pappy Boyington face basically done, this was the second version with a seperate cap so that's why it's been a while in the making. I haven't finished the cap but will post a pic soon - promise! Doug Campbell is standing in the prototype flight suit which I made in dark brown as that's what I had on hand at the time and it doesn't look right in that colour - Richard says he looks like a prisoner [&:] and with his boots now cast but unpainted and in stark white he looks like he's wearing white basketball boots or joggers Rather odd but a bit of paint will fix that up and I got some light brown/tan material last night and will make another flight suit with my pattern adjustments. Without belt and pockets it looks a bit ordinary but will look the part when it's detailed.

I need to find some black tubing of the right size for the MaeWest tubes and cut some buckles on the straps - little finishers like that.

We're also going to be cutting "Stew" in 1/9 scale this weekend and will see how that comes out. There will obviously be less detail in a head that size but it'll be really interesting to see how recognizable it is. Scot is going to mate the head we make to a body/bust he has already which will save us having to to that part.

Enjoy your holidays Brad [8D]

cheers
Patti
Old 11-18-2010, 08:12 PM
P4Patti

Time for another update so I don't get in trouble from Brad How's the holiday going Brad, you're sure covering some kilometres over there!

We did cut the little head of Stew but it's a bit too small. The body we are matching it to is actually 1/8 so we'll scale the head a little bigger to match that.

I also spent a fair bit of time last weekend redoing the mould for the cap as a seperate item and adding an extension to the head and also Doug Campbell's head mould so that they can be clamped off and put into the rotary moulding machine. We're trying to make the prices as affordable as possible by mechanising as much as possible to make things quicker. We will be able to do the bodies for around $50 - 1/3 scale slightly more. Anyway, after doing the seperate head and cap mouldings for Pappy I've decided that it's just too time consuming to do them that way and as good as it looks, not really viable in numbers. So we've recut them in 1/5 and 1/4 with a moulded cap without the hanging chin strap. It was an interesting process and once again we learnt a lot in the process.

I did do a seperate flying cap for Doug Campbell though and after several trials in plain fabric to get the pattern to fit I've finally been able to cut my lovely thin leather and made a WW1 flight cap. That's in 1/3 scale and it'd be possible in 1/4 but I don't know about 1/5, I'd have to scale the pattern and see how small it is and try it. But the flight cap will also fit Manfred Von Richthofen as well so that's one step towards him as well. I'll attach a couple of pics but it still needs chin strap and buckle to finish it off. Doug should be on his way to his new home very soon. I'm just using the flight suit I'm making to photograph the steps which will apply to shirts and pants so I can kill quite a few birds with one stone there.

I've been trying to fight off a head cold this week but have lost the battle - and my voice almost [&o] But at least I can still type

cheers
Patti
Old 11-18-2010, 08:26 PM
geezeraviation
My Feedback: (3)

Wow looking really good, still trying to make flight this weekend, have had some problems with the equipment but were gaining on it I think.
Doc
Old 11-22-2010, 02:40 AM
P4Patti

Hi again, I had another productive weekend and made the proper flight suit for Doug Campbell and as I went I photographed each step for the instructions. I think even a real novice could follow this I sent a photo of Doug in his gear to Geezeraviation who is hanging out for Doug since his plane did a very successful maiden. He sent me photos and pointed out the empty cockpit! Now that he's seen Doug finished - well, very nearly, (he needs a chin strap on his helmet still) he's asked for him to be sent fully dressed and not just the pattern. I'm now wondering if most people will want the pilots fully dressed and not just a kit of bits and pieces or even just a pattern to make into the uniforms? I'd really appreciate some feedback from who ever's reading as to whether you'd ever sew your own pilot clothing or be able to get someone to do it for you?? Perhaps finished pilots will be the order of the day with a painting option.

A new body will be made for Doug before being sent off this week. He will have cord in his legs so they will be really flexible as Doc has working rudder pedals

We drew up a crusher cap for Stew and put some head gear on him and Richard has cut him in 1/4 scale. Richard also cut an emblem to go on the hat which he cast straight from the wax and glued it onto the front of the crusher cap. That was a bit of precision cutting, it's tiny! Stew's now sitting on my bench ready to be moulded. Hopefully I'll get that done tonight and a casting made from the mould so we can have a better look at it. The wax is very speckly and it's really hard to see the detail in it.

The 1/8 Stew to go in the B-17 is being cut again as well, he had to be resized to fit the moulded body. The cap badge/emblem will be cut seperately like the 1/4 sized one and hopefully we can cast a really tiny piece and stick it to the cap as well.

I still don't have my voice back, so will talk less and make more

cheers
Patti
Old 11-22-2010, 09:20 AM
udet1918

Patti,

I think you should leave all options open. While I'm sure the majority of us RC types don't sew our significant others may and if not I'm betting most would not mind learning to save some money.

You are doing us RCers a great service Patti thank you! I'm looking forward to seeing your Richthofen and the Web Site, keep up the great work.

Ron
Old 11-22-2010, 10:02 AM
geezeraviation
My Feedback: (3)

I figure it will go both ways, there will be guys that just want to strap the pilot in the airplane and there will be the ones whose wives think they can sew it up and they will go for either kits or just patterns.
Doc
Old 11-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Tmoth4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! Those are really nice![sm=thumbup.gif]

Jim
Old 11-22-2010, 10:38 AM
Lnewqban

Great work, Patti!!

That figure of Doug Campbell is just amazing.

Hope you get your voice back soon.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:47 AM
P4Patti

Thanks for the feedback and the comments. I just like to know that I'm spending my time on things that will be useful, or could be so feed back is invaluable. I will continue with the instructions and patterns then

We had a body making session tonight and I took some pics of the 1/3 scale body mould. We made Doc's Doug with the cord in the legs but the first one seemed too floppy in the lower leg and we figured it needed some wire below the knee so that it would bend at the knee and not buckle at the shin or ankle where it's thin. By doing a little surgery and slicing a little wedge of foam from behind the knee and at the hip, the legs are extremely movable. The pics are of the 2nd body with the wire in the lower leg. Doc, do you want us to do the surgery on the body or just mark the lines and you'd rather do it yourself?

We also got 1/4 scale Stew moulded and cast last night and a quick spray of colour onto him so we could actually see him better. There are a few issues with the cutting in the wax that we didn't see - the hat band is a bit raggy so that will get worked up and become the new plug. The photo of Stew is the one we're mainly working from for a look-alike. It's a little hard to see without more paint but I think the likeness is there. We've had the 3D mesh approved by the one who knows best

The little 1/8th Stew is also cut and also the tiny hat badge. We've got him fitting nicely into the body so will mould his head up.

We also had a look at the Richthoffen head that was started ages ago and it's really not too bad. A few minor adjustments to the nose are needed but hopefully that head wont be too far away either. He'll be made with moulded hair and have a leather flying cap. We're going to make the goggles as we have some clear, somewhat flexible silicone that we think we could use in a 2 part wax mould, all experimental as usual

There's an old black and white video on Youtube of Richthoffen getting ready to fly and putting on all the cold weather gear. He has a pair of over trouses like big waders and then a leather coat with a fur collar. As a start I'll probably do just the flying gear, a bit like Doug and then later work on the dress uniform which will take longer.

I have a leather strap and a buckle for a flying cap to make so better keep going.

cheers
PAtti
Old 11-23-2010, 06:55 AM
P4Patti

A couple of pics of the little Stew hot off the press! How's that B-17 coming along Scot?

cheers
Patti

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.