Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Scale poseable pilot making

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Scale poseable pilot making

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 07:38 AM
geezeraviation
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Scale poseable pilot making

Patti you can just mark it and write a little tutorial, I'm sure I am able to do it.
Doc
Old 11-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Scotsman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Patti,

"Stew" looks fantastic!! I'm trying to do my best to give him a mount worthy of your skills. I'm up to my eyeballs in getting the metal finish on, but with building season rolling in, I should be in good shape to get him back in the air in the Spring!! Just so you don't think I've been sitting about eating Bon-bons and watching re-runs....

The tops and bottoms of the wings are all metal now and working the nacelle covering before tackling the fuselage. I better keep my head down to keep the pace.

Can't say enough about your artistry, not only do I see all the right features, my brother has reviewed the work and thinks it is top notch as well.

Thanks so much,

Scot
Old 11-24-2010, 12:42 AM
P4Patti

Scot, I'm sure I saw some bon bon wrappers on the floor Who are you putting into the co-pilot seat? How about you? That'd be a spin out wouldn't it? Richard reckons he has the cutting of the small stuff worked out now so no stopping him [X(]

Doc, I'm sure you'll cope, you've built that magnificent plane so a bit of leg surgery would be nothing to a modeller You can adjust the leg length to suit too. He'll be on his way first thing in the morning. Can't wait to see him in the pilot seat.

cheers
Patti
Old 11-24-2010, 06:26 PM
P4Patti

Hi again

You probably recognized the bomber body the we attached the 1/8th head of Stew onto as one of Lyle Vasser's "Best Pilot's". I'd just like to assure everyone that we have absolutely no intention of reproducing his great work and the one copy we made was purely so we could play around with fitting our heads to the body without fear of wrecking the original[X(]. You can see how roughly it was done as there was no need to spend time making it neat. I've been in touch with Lyle and we both feel that we could compliment one another nicely. If, or should I say when we make other 1/8th heads people can purchase a body from Lyle that it will fit onto so it's win/win really. And hopefully Lyle will want to paint some of them as well

cheers
Patti
Old 11-27-2010, 08:46 PM
bela

Awesome thread! and awesome work! I have also been working on much the same project types but for modern jets. I did not go the route of the wire armature. What are your concerns of replacement of the limbs when the wire eventually breaks from too many cycles?

Bela
Old 11-27-2010, 11:07 PM
P4Patti

Hi Bela

I really don't have a concern with the wire armature. We've been "playing" with the bodies for over a year and they've been given quite a work out with dressing and undressing for trials and posed and photographed and there's never been the slightest sign of wire stress. They are not meant as a child's toy but designed to be posed and put into a cockpit and occasionally posed with the plane for photos or kept as a collectible to be sat on a bench and occasionally changed poses. If someone were to give it extreme wear and tear and something happened (or the dog eats it ), the body itself can be replaced - they're not a high cost item. You'd still have painted head, boots and arms/gloves plus the clothing to just plug onto another body.

Will you 3D print your figures?

I've just finished - finally! - the Pappy figure I started for Richard months ago. He's the one with the seperate cap with the chin strap. Nearly time to get on with Manfred now. I just managed to get a pic of Pappy before the camera battery died on me so this one will have to do.

cheers
Patti
Old 11-27-2010, 11:51 PM
bela

Hi Patti! thanx for the reply and again great work! I have a few heads, some were done with sculpy and a couple others were printed out. the printed heads were of U.S presidents Kennedy and Reagan. I was also going to start a thread, but with your permission, I will post progress here?
I like how your figures have life and expression.
Bela
Old 11-28-2010, 04:48 PM
caribefoto
My Feedback: (2)

"Nearly time to get on with Manfred"

Hooray!!! If it comes out as well as these you'll have created a collector's treasure...........John
Old 12-04-2010, 01:46 AM
P4Patti

Love your confidence John He'll have to be good as he'll be going in to my Fokker too!

Well, I've been a bit quiet this week but it's not because my voice still sounds like I could get a special job on the end of the phone We've been working on website and have had a few hitches but it's more or less sorted now. It's not finished, in fact it probably will never be as we'll always be adding products, but it's a start. So, if you want to check it out, go to www.properlittlepeople.com If you find any gliches or mistakes you can let me know so we can fix it up but it should be working. I'm a bit web sited out at the moment so it will be nice to get back to making tactile things.

I've started and half finished a leather flight jacket. It was going well then I had a bit of trouble with the leather sticking a little when stitching the pockets on but I've sorted that out now too so it's all good

cheers
Patti
Old 12-04-2010, 02:28 AM
grover1

The Site looks good Patti

Greg
Old 12-04-2010, 05:26 AM
geezeraviation

I've just added a new site to my favorites list. Looks greatt Patti.
Doc
Old 12-05-2010, 05:16 AM
Brad330l
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Patti and Richard, i'm back from holidays,,, yay,,,[:'(] and yes we did do a few K's.
Great updates Patti and fabulous work as usual and I have checked out your web site and it looks well under way and very usable and of course just what us modellers need. ( I spun out seeing 'me on the home page)
You have the whole package working now and I can only see it getting bigger and bigger.
Brad the pilot is only weeks away from test flying 'his' Spitfire so I will send a couple of pictures from the field on that day.

Congratulations and well done to both. I hope you are still enjoying it.

Cheers,

Brad

PS, I still am not receiving alerts to new posts to your thread. I will subscribe again.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:59 AM
P4Patti

Thanks Greg, I imagine you've had about as much rain as us lately? We just copped a massive storm this afternoon as well which dumped nearly 3" rain in about 15 minutes and flooded the shed. All swept out now though and no damage, just very soggy

Doc, honoured to be on your favourites list

Gosh, it's been quiet while you were away Brad Welcome back and sure looking forward to seeing pilot Brad in that Spitty in the air. Hope you didn't mind being in the line up but we needed to make up a crowd! It's good that you recognized yourself RCU was out of action for a few hours on Saturday so we'll have to resubscribe to all our forums too.

I AM still enjoying making the pilots, I guess when I'm not I'll stop! But there are so many things/people I want to make, I'll just keep on keeping on as time permits. Apart from the heads and new German uniforms the thing that's probably fairly high on the priority list is a parachute harness. I might take a look at that this week and we'll get something drawn up to cut. I have some "stuff" which I think will make a good harness so will have to do some trials.

I finished the leather jacket tonight, haven't taken a photo yet but will tomorrow.

cheers
Patti

Old 12-06-2010, 07:25 AM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Patti. is there going to be anything in the offering for WWI pilots? We are sorely in need of them. There is Aces of Iron but they have only the busts. While they look good they are missing the lower parts!

The WWI guys dont need parachutes either.. a plus!

Here's an Aces of Iron bust I just finished. You can see he looks fine and he's 1/4 scale.

Personally I think if you were to do a Red Baron, he would be in high demand

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55699.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1530937  
Old 12-06-2010, 11:02 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

Yes foe WW1, I think a Roy Brown would be good
Old 12-06-2010, 12:34 PM
grover1

Patti
Any WW1 stuff would be good and 1/6 scale bodies and clothing to

Patti week 4 of rain, we now have a swimming pool in the back yard . Funny I don't have a pool .
I'm getting sick of this rain
Gerg
Old 12-06-2010, 12:52 PM
geezeraviation

Patti, he's here! The postman was just a the door, appropriately in a Santa hat, with a carton from Australia. As you might expect the airplane is upside down on the floor with the landing gear off as I prepare to build another gear for a pal of mine. So it will be a few days till Doug gets to try on his mount. He looks swell, thanks again.
Doc
Old 12-06-2010, 01:22 PM
P4Patti

Doc that's great news that Doug arrived. I was thinking that he should be there very soon. I'll look forward to the pics when the plane is upright with Doug in the seat.

It looks like WW1 is becoming THE priority then I'm wondering about which way to make the heads - 2 seperate moulded heads, one with the flight cap and goggles and the other with the service hat, OR alternatively a single moulded head with hair and make a leather flying cap and a moulded service hat to fit. We don't have the goggles yet though but could work on those. Let me know what you think.

JL1 - Roy Brown is on the list!

cheers
Patti

Old 12-06-2010, 01:34 PM
BobH

Patti, I think the easiest thing for you is the best thing. Which ever brings the lil guys to market the soonest is the goodest lol
Old 12-06-2010, 02:14 PM
geezeraviation

Patti, I like the hair with a choice of headgear, weather its a crusher, service cap or flight helmet.
My two cents, and the goggles should be removable so you can reposition them pushed up between flights. Who's silly, and I do not play with toy airplanes!lol
Doc
Old 12-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Nieuport nut
My Feedback: (10)

I'd like to see a 1/4 and 1/3 scale WWI French pilot, or at least a more generic pilot that we have access to, now. There are a lot of N.11s, N.17s (and a few SPADs), out there.

Martin
Old 12-07-2010, 01:37 PM
P4Patti

Doc, you'll be pleased to hear that we had a bit of a brain storming session yesterday and came up with what looks like a very promising way to make a pair of removable and re-positionable goggles. It was just a a quick trial but by cutting a clear PETG (plastic) frame which wraps to the shape of the head and sandwiching that between a top layer of aluminium for the frame and another inside layer it looks the part. With the cnc machine we're able to cut a really small neat slot for the elastic to thread into for the strap. A bit hard to put that into words but it means it'll be moulded hair and removable/interchangable hats.

I made a start on Richthoffen's uniform last night drafting out the first pattern for his magnificent service jacket.

The cnc machine is currently being occupied by cutting another 1/4 scale Stew. Since doing the 1/8 version of him and seeing how surprisingly well that came out Richard has been playing with different tool paths to create the same finish in the larger scale. After Stew is finished we'll be able to make the necessary changes to the Richthoffen head we have and then cut him so it's all under way Bob

Martin, if you want to name names and find reference pics of French pilots then feel free to do so. It can be added to the list and when the uniform is done a different head can go onto the body.

Greg, the 1/6 bodies can be done, we haven't got around to actually making the mould of that size yet although the wax body has been cut. The 1/6 body will be a lot lighter than the standard action man 1/6 figures but when it comes to the clothing and accessories I'm not going down that path sorry. I just couldn't compete with the Chinese but feel free to scale the patterns down yourself if you want to.

cheers
Patti
Old 12-07-2010, 02:15 PM
grover1

Hi Patti
Can you let me know when you do get the 1/6 body done.

I can get the wife to make the clothing . She makes a lot of stuff for her Sindy collection.
She just need the patterns.

Greg
Old 12-07-2010, 02:27 PM
geezeraviation

Patti, thats real good neews for everyone cause it makes the head much more versitile. I'm not doing any shoppiing just now but if you're interested in photos of Rickenbacker or Lufbery the same books Doug came from have many pictures of them as well.
Doc
Old 12-07-2010, 02:55 PM
BobH

Patti, Im sure you'll sell the red baron.. Id be utterly shocked if you didnt!.. Same goes for the Allies.. Brown, Albert Ball..some of the French pilots.. all would be popular.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.