RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   Best scale photo! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/509567-best-scale-photo.html)

abufletcher 01-30-2010 12:22 AM

RE: Best scale photo!

ORIGINAL: RodanAZ
This photo is certainly not that spectacular (but has that 'airshow snapshot' quality), but I'm posting it because it captures two aircraft of different scales in a perspective that works. The Mustang is actually not much smaller than the B-17, but is further away, making them appear to be 'in formation'...
Perspective certainly works to an advantage here. My mind sees the Mustang (which MUST be smaller, right) flying lower and closer to the camera (and slightly ahead of the B-17).

NeilHutch 01-30-2010 06:46 AM

Hi Rodan,

Super pic, mate - like it:)

Here's the real thing - pity the British sky wasn't nice & blue like the one in your picture.

http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/s...IMG_5932es.jpg

TTFN,
Neil

abufletcher 01-30-2010 07:11 AM

Those are "scale skies" Neil!

RodanAZ 01-30-2010 08:52 AM

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

Those are ''scale skies'' Neil!
That was exactly my thought... A B-17 and P-51 probably never saw a sky that blue over Europe! :)

David Bathe 01-30-2010 09:06 AM

ORIGINAL: NeilHutch

Here's the real thing -
Neil
Bugger!
I thought you'd just gone and delivered the ultimate model picture, walked of with the grand prize and closed down the thread.
<br type="_moz" />

Spuetz 01-30-2010 10:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)

[/quote]
A B-17 and P-51 probably never saw a sky that blue over Europe! :)

[/quote]

Hi, this is not an attempt to post the best scale picture. Just to show you: This was shot over Cologne, Germany, a city that has been heavily visited by B17s ! So much for no blue skies over here! ;)

stagger123 01-30-2010 11:18 AM

thats a great pic i love it

NeilHutch 01-30-2010 07:09 PM

Hi David,

Bugger!
I thought you'd just gone and delivered the ultimate model picture, walked of with the grand prize and closed down the thread.

I was going to do some wild life photography, but the wolf was already booked:)

Back to aviation............. This really was close formation flying!
http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/s...SallyBP-51.jpg

TTFN,
Neil

abufletcher 01-30-2010 08:49 PM

Neil, what were these planes doing at the time of the photo so that it looks like YOU are actually above them?

I was going to do some wild life photography, but the wolf was already booked:)
I say it was all done in CGI. ;)

NeilHutch 01-31-2010 04:57 AM

Hi Fletch,

The other side of Leicester, every year, there's a military show put on, called The Victory Show. It's mainly for those guys who like to dress up & drive around in tanks etc & have simulated battles. Must say, it does look bloomin' good fun! If you Google Victory Show you'll probably get a few hits. They also set a side a field for small aircraft to land - the Hurricane being one of them. This is aerial display area/ flight path call it what you will - because of the trees, opposite, the aircraft fly very close - a lot closer than at a normal air show. This is why its such a good show - not many aircraft - the quanitity more than made up for by the quality of the flying. As I said earlier the Hurricane display was the best warbird display I've ever seen!

Not wanting to upset anyone with more 1:1 scale pictures, but if you guys want more B-17, P-51's, Spitfire, Hurricane & Lancaster (as well as the Red Arrows doing a fly by - this Muppet had locked the lens & I had take th 'Reds' at long range[:o] ) I'll gladly post some more pics.

TTFN,
Neil

uncljoe 01-31-2010 11:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heavy Metal. Skymaster F 86 1/6.5 , Jet Cat Titan powered.
Semper Fi

RodanAZ 02-04-2010 06:21 PM

These are not aircraft, but certainly in the spirit of this thread. Maybe this will stir some creative juices for this thread.... ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2479674...th/2346008881/

SDCrashmaster 02-04-2010 10:57 PM

Wow!
Thanks for posting. If anyone has any question about what this thread should aspire to...that is it!
Simply mesmerizing.

RodanAZ 02-04-2010 11:10 PM

Just to be clear, that's not me... :)

A friend emailed me that link today, and I immediately thought of this thread! :D

Tango Juliet 02-05-2010 03:59 PM

ORIGINAL: SDCrashmaster

Wow!
Thanks for posting. If anyone has any question about what this thread should aspire to...that is it!
Simply mesmerizing.
My thoughts exactly. I'm in awe.

rcphotog 02-06-2010 07:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I found this at the bottom of my grandfather's ceder chest. He collected airplane photos.;)

I reworked it again and yeah it's a model. This (Proctor) Nieuport was campained for over ten years by Brad (HOMEPYLON) Osborne. It was one of my favorites of his. The model met its demize the summer of 2007 while Brad was practicing for the So Cal Scale Masters Qualifer:(

I photographed it with a point-n-shoot HP camera. It did not have a scale (static) prop so I had to paint one in the photo. Then I painted out the pilot and changed the trees a little and added tire tracks as though it had made an emergency landing and the pilot has walked away. Then a local young man took this picture for his collection. That was 1918.:D

The border for this comes from an old 8x10 my grandfather gave me when I was 6 years old. I had it tapped to my bedroom wall for many years. I scanned it then just added the photo I took of the model on top of it. I realize that some on here don't get what I'm doing and that's o.k. It's just a fun way to pass the time...
Ken.

allanflowers 02-06-2010 04:18 PM

Ken, you are a sneaky guy :) but I don't buy it. The grass is just too high.
Am I correct? I think I have seen that Neuport 28 at several recent Dawn Patrols in SoCal. I forget the owner's name...

Mustang51 02-06-2010 06:46 PM

That is EXACTLY what this thread is all about!!!!!!!!!!!!
For any one who does not "get" this thread, or takes offense to to their model or photograph being scrutinized(sp), please take note to what this guy is capable of producing...
It is very true... A picture is worth a thousand words, and this truely captures what I set out doing, only with rc aircraft.
Thank you for posting this link.

-M51

Ram-bro 02-06-2010 08:17 PM

heck in the upper corner it says "Faux Vintage Fotos 201"

Mustang51 02-07-2010 12:17 AM

ORIGINAL: Ram-bro

heck in the upper corner it says ''Faux Vintage Fotos 201''
You'll notice in my post I was "in reply to RodanAZ".

M51

abufletcher 02-07-2010 01:48 AM

ORIGINAL: Mustang51

That is EXACTLY what this thread is all about!!!!!!!!!!!!
For any one who does not ''get'' this thread, or takes offense to to their model or photograph being scrutinized(sp), please take note to what this guy is capable of producing...
It is very true... A picture is worth a thousand words, and this truely captures what I set out doing, only with rc aircraft.
Thank you for posting this link.

-M51
Again we see YOUR preference for dioramas.

dhal22 02-07-2010 07:06 AM

:D

David Bathe 02-11-2010 04:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I found this on theAirworld Modellbau site.
Don't know if it's been posted here before but certainly worth another look.

SDCrashmaster 02-11-2010 12:32 PM

Those massive Euro whip antennae seem so prevalent on so many cool jets over there.
Always bugged me. That may be changing since the intro of 2.4gig...but here in the States, even before 2.4,
we just didn't seem to have to resort to this "illusion ruining" tactic.

That Hawk photo is definitely off the chain though.

abufletcher 02-11-2010 12:36 PM

ORIGINAL: SDCrashmaster
Those massive Euro whip antennae seem so prevalent on so many cool jets over there.
Always bugged me. That may be changing since the intro of 2.4gig...but here in the States, even before 2.4,
we just didn't seem to have to resort to this ''illusion ruining'' tactic.
But where else are you going to put that orange '76 foam ball? :D

RodanAZ 02-11-2010 12:48 PM

But where else are you doing to put that orange '76 foam ball? :D
Now you're dating yourself! :)

abufletcher 02-11-2010 12:53 PM

Still going strong after all these years!

http://www.osbornauto.com/Union_76_antenna_balls.asp

Lucky Dog 02-11-2010 04:05 PM

But where else are you going to put that orange '76 foam ball? :D
Or the Sinclair Dinosaur antenna topper?

NeilHutch 02-12-2010 06:48 AM

Hi Guys,

Real or a model?

http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/s...g?t=1265975230

TTFN,
Neil

Tango Juliet 02-12-2010 07:11 AM

A very good looking model. The white stripe on the runway is too big for scale effect, and the panel lines, well, they look like molded panel lines, except the engine compartment hatch.

abufletcher 02-12-2010 07:45 AM

Great photo of a great model. But for some reason, I'm not for a moment fooled into thinking this is a real aircraft. I'm not sure why. Maybe something to do with perspective.

Spuetz 02-12-2010 11:27 AM

Hello everyone,

thought you might be interested in this: the German Telekom is running an ad at the moment where they are going the opposite way of what we're trying to achieve here: They show real people and scenes filmed as if it were models - like a train set or so. I have absolutely no Idea how they do it, but may-be one of you knows? They cal it "til-shift" technique.. Check it out here:
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Co2DogpFm8]Telekom-Ad[/link]

May be there is an opposite technique to the tilt-shift thing that would help us get better results?

Cheers, Martin

SDCrashmaster 02-12-2010 12:23 PM

It's all about depth of field. Works well on those big wide shots, where typically everything would be in focus.
Selecting an area of focus gives a sense of being in much tighter on a smaller subject.
I've seen some pretty cool photos with that effect applied to them, and the illusion of being a model is very strong.
Perhaps no depth of field, where everything is in focus would be considered the opposite.

Tango Juliet 02-12-2010 01:23 PM

There's acommercial on US TV right now using the same technique, it's nothing new, except as it's applied to video maybe.

abufletcher 02-12-2010 01:59 PM

The effect relies on much more than just selective focus (which mimics the look of macro lenses usually used to shoot small diorama setups). It also employs careful use/manipulation of lighting, selective use of solid colors (look at all the single color clothing), angle and perspective, as well as the choppy movement. The focus is just the most obvious trick.

snaprollinsb 02-13-2010 06:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My 1/4 scale Cub on floats taken today..PERFECTlighting in my opinion. Thoughts?

mark fadely 02-13-2010 09:25 PM

Hey Snap, the lighting does look excellent on those - The clouds in the BG really add to the contrast.

Here's a couple of the Dawn Patrol.

http://fadely.smugmug.com/photos/787679681_vnaWR-XL.jpg

http://fadely.smugmug.com/photos/787680018_UEN7i-XL.jpg

ceejay007 02-13-2010 09:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Like SNJ's ?

abufletcher 02-13-2010 11:48 PM

Mark, that second shot of the DVII and the Pup's tail is absolutely brilliant! I sure wouldn't have wanted to be the poor sap, flying a Pup, who actually found himself in combat with a DVII!

SDCrashmaster 02-14-2010 04:09 PM

ORIGINAL: ceejay007

Like SNJ's ?

Why? Are you going to post a scale photo of an RC model of an SNJ?
Or are you going to post more full-scale photos and continue illustrating
your complete ignorance as to what this thread is about?

Pick one or the other, so we'll know the IQ of who we're dealing with.