Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

best US distributor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 12:01 PM
vicious p

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best US distributor?

Hey guys, been in and out of these forums for a few years now keeping a check on things and im finally ready to break down and get my first tank. Really interested in then HL Tiger 1 mostly just like everyone else. Matomart has them for $139 with the upgraded metal tracks and some sort of gearbox upgrade it looks like. Is that a decent tank for the money and has anyone delt with matomart? Just wanna make sure i buy from a business that wont give me a hard time if i happen to get a lemon. I dont mind spending some money but i cant justify spending the money on a tamiya. The HL seem alright for the price but i read mixed reviews everywhere.

And how do the other HL tanks run in comparison to this one? Asking because im kinda interested in the Panzer III and IV as well. So which one out of the 3 performs the best and is most reliable?.. I'm sure there is a good guide on HL tanks one here somewhere but have'nt really found one yet so i figured i would start a fresh noob thread. haha

thanks guys
Old 01-01-2011, 12:25 PM
maintcoder

Default RE: best US distributor?

I have a Panzer III, Panzer IV, and a Stug - the Panzer III and Stug are a blast to run with the Panzer IV close behind. I purchased the Panzer III and Stug from Matomart and had absoluetly no issues. From what I have read in the forums here, if you do encounter a problem, their Customer Service will take care of you. You can also contact Phil at RCTankWars and he will verify your tank is in running order before shipping it out. I bet you could also have Phil install the 3:1 gearboxes as well so your tank would have the most common upgrade done up front.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:35 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a bad price,. but to be safe and know what you are getting, get one through Phil. The Pz III is a very nice tank and a good runner. Better is that, if you are into modeling and like variety, it is an easy conversion to many other Pz III models (I had 8 at one time) with conversion kits for Stu etc available. Good luck..
Old 01-01-2011, 12:37 PM
vicious p

Whats the gearing in the tank stock? Guessing the 3:1 gearbox is a little more robust and makes it run more scale cause some of those tanks look pretty fast. Just checked out Phil's site a few ago might end up going with him since hes a little closer to home than canada. Thanks for the reply ive been looking at more and more panzer III tanks that people have painted and detailed so nicely now im trying to decide between that and the Tiger 1. Anyone have any gripes or anything against the HL tiger 1? Been looking at both too long now and cant decide! I'm wanting to go practice airbrushing something already.[X(]
Old 01-01-2011, 12:49 PM
BIGMIG

Going to be an interesting topic.This year i'm going to sit back and watch the show with a smile on my face.

Happy new year

BIGMIG
Old 01-01-2011, 01:08 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Tiger is a very popular tank and there are many upgrades you can buy. It is does like to throw tracks. The Stug or PZ III , have lots of upgrades as well, and are almost bullet proof. You don't hear too many people have problems with them.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:18 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For an HL tank Phil is the man to see.
As for which is better? The PIII is a great runner OTB and has many upgrade possibilities for sure. As for the Tiger 1, it can also be done to the nines and is a good runner, though I think it needs a bit of modding to be as reliable as the PIII. The track issue that YHR spoke of can be fixed with a tenisioner upgrade from Phil. They can really be taken as far as you want to go. these 2 tanks both have metal lower hulls available, as well as a ton of other upgrades.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:16 PM
vicious p

PIII it is then. I've seen so many that look so nice, and for the price i can always get a tiger down the road. You always end up with more than one of these things one way or another. Since ill be going through phil is the 3:1 gearbox worth going ahead and having installed out of the box?
Old 01-01-2011, 02:25 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, yes. The Asiatam boxes are well worth the money, as they are much sturdier and they use much better gears than the stock pot metal stuff.
You go that far, you may as well go with the speed 400 motors for that extra torque and the little PIII should perform without a hitch.
Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 01-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Phil, Phil, Phil, Phil ........... Period !

http://rctankwars.com/

I placed an order on Sunday. Got it Thursday. Best price too.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:50 PM
EOT

^^^^^^ What they all said above, go to Phil at RCTankwars. You'll get a running tank and he'll take care of you if there's a problem

Mike
Old 01-01-2011, 07:20 PM
diabolic-mind

yup, phil is the way to go. i was hesitant on who to buy from at first, and after i got my tank from phil i knew who my supplier would be!
Old 01-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Warlord_Link

I never use Asiatam 3:1 gearbox but I use Mato 3:1 gearbox that can change gear ratio in itself.

I have HL Tauch Panzer with Mato 3:1 gearbox and also upgrade all metal wheel with metal roller mount but Trank tensioner is hard to install.

Where can  I buy conversion kit to other tank by use Panzer III lower hull?

Old 01-01-2011, 10:52 PM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: BIGMIG

Going to be an interesting topic.This year i'm going to sit back and watch the show with a smile on my face.

Happy new year

BIGMIG
Oh come on Bigmig,

I bet you won't be able to hold out too long. Besdies we like hearing from you!!

At least post a pic of that smile....Bob
Old 01-01-2011, 11:06 PM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: vicious p

PIII it is then. I've seen so many that look so nice, and for the price i can always get a tiger down the road. You always end up with more than one of these things one way or another. Since ill be going through phil is the 3:1 gearbox worth going ahead and having installed out of the box?
Nice choice Vicious P. The Pzr III is great and has a very large amount of potential variants (Stugg III etc...). Phil is also my recommendation. I would make one more recommendation that my other tankers have overlooked (Where are the HEAT guys for this post?). If you are in Greensboro you are very lucking to have the best RC tank battlefield in your back yard at Danville, VA just the other side of Reidsville up Rt 29. While Phil has your tank spend the extra few dollars and have him install the DBU (Davids Battle Unit) with barrel flash so you can participate in the Danville tank battles. If you have never been there be prepared to be stunned.

Here is a link to a youtube video of mine and you can see my daughter using my HL Pzr III that I converted to Tamiya electronics (also an option for the future).... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDVWg08fF48

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	zx70686.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	1541059  
Old 01-02-2011, 11:31 AM
vicious p

Ive never been to the tank museum but have always wanted to go. Ive never seen a real tank up close before. I may just go check it out first before i throw down the cash on a IR battle unit as already have alot of hobbies so im kinda testing the waters here. I ride dirtbikes and race rc cars a little bit as well as build the 1/144th scale combat ships with the bb cannons. I catch flak from my friends sometime being a younger guy and being such a history buff. But its whatever i enjoy my toys.

Heres a few shots of my DKM Bismarck. . As you can see he's not real detailed but they get shot to hell so there's no real point. But im excited to attempt to do some of the airbrushing and weathering i see here on my own tank.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 01-02-2011, 11:52 AM
1sgt

Vicious P,
I have very good luck with Mato. They have good customer service. If you have a problem take a pic and email them and they'll send you the replacement part free ( first 30 days ). While I have not used Phil yet, He comes with the best references I have read on this site, so being new to tanks, you are probably better off using him.

While I only have the old non sound an smoke PZ III it is a good runner. I have the PZ IV with metal upgrades and it runs fantastic, so if the PZ III is a better runner, you should stick with that ( you can always get more once the RC Tank bug bites ) I do plan on a PZ III for my next tank. below is how I plan on depicting it. Good luck and happy tanking.

Jim
Old 01-02-2011, 11:53 AM
1sgt

ORIGINAL: 1sgt

Vicious P,
I have very good luck with Mato. They have good customer service. If you have a problem take a pic and email them and they'll send you the replacement part free ( first 30 days ). While I have not used Phil yet, He comes with the best references I have read on this site, so being new to tanks, you are probably better off using him.

While I only have the old non sound an smoke PZ III it is a good runner. I have the PZ IV with metal upgrades and it runs fantastic, so if the PZ III is a better runner, you should stick with that ( you can always get more once the RC Tank bug bites ) I do plan on a PZ III for my next tank. below is how I plan on depicting it. Good luck and happy tanking.

Jim

OOOps missed the pic.

Name:	Ax73164.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	1541263  
Old 01-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

To add what others have said about Phil. I have dealt with Phil a couple of times, and my 2c is when there was a problem with an order (his supplier's fault) and not his fault by any means, he kept in constant contact with me about the issue, and never once did I feel shorted at all. He is a top notch business man, his costumer service is outstanding.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 01-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Green Amphibian

vicious p, We are having a fun run at the museum next Sat. and Sun. Come on up and join the fun. See what it is like and if it is something you wish to be involved in. If you don't like the RC tanks, there are plenty of the real things to look at while you are there also.  Check out the HEAT website for more information and some video of the last meet.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:48 PM
1sgt

I guess I should have included a pic of my PZ IV since I did mentioned it. I have since replaced the apple muzzel brake with one from a Panther to give it a later look. I'll include some pics later.

Jim

PS, To all who have probs uploading pics, I load them one at a time and have no probs what so ever.

JR

Name:	Fc90229.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	1541285