Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

The Tanker's Lounge

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 10:50 AM
mustclime

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: The Tanker's Lounge

pick up some deck cleaner anduse a air pump sprayer to put it on.....take the stuff right off ....just hose down the houseor it will eat your paint.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

No paint, colored vinyl siding.

I just went by what this magazine said to do and that was to use a environmentally safe cleaner and a soft bristled broom.

It came right off too, just a whole damn area to do! Whew!

~ Jeff
Old 03-20-2012, 01:07 AM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I have been taking a brake as late trying to figure out what i'm going to work on next and have had the urge to get back into flying airplanes again.It has been a while since i have had a plane in the air and i know i'm now going to be very rusty at doing so again.I have been building airplanes off and on over the years ever since i was a kid in grade school,and airplanes was my first step into RC-ing.

I have allways flown the fuel type planes and still have a pretty good collection of them.In some ways they are a pain to get ready for a day of flying (or part of a day). I do have my own field to fly at my home and property so it's not like i have to load everything up and drive somewhere to fly.But the weather here in this great state of washington is sometimes hard to figure out.The wind where i live during the summer can be the big factor.I'm not fond of flying on windy days.So it's a nice day and i think well i'll fly a couple of planes tomorrow......early evening get out a couple planes,radios,and hook up the chargers and let them charge all night.......Low and behold the next day i get up and we have 15 to 20 mile an hour wind blowing.Daaaaam...and it may do that for several days.

Use my lawn tractor battery for the electric starter..charge up the hot shot...drag out the fuel...make sure the grass is cut the day before,haul all the field supplies out next to the lawn tractor,carry what planes i'm going to fly out to the field....Fly off and on for a couple of hours and then have to put every thing away.

Now i'm about to try a different approach and something different to me.Now looking to buy an electric model for several reasons.Flying fuel planes is a pain in the rear..........So i'm going to try the electric models where all i need is the radio,plane,and a spare battery or two and i'm flying.A lot less hassle...

Writing this in two stages using the edit to complete as i don't know if this site is still acting up.............

As i have now been looking at the different models on line trying to figure out which one i'm going to start with,i got to thinking about the topflite F4U CORSAIR i built i think a couple of years ago now.I must say this was one of the hardest hobby projects i ever took on.It took me several months to build and at times i started to wonder if i would ever get it done.I know we have airplane guys here in the tank forum and mabe some who have done builds like this and will know what i'm refering to as a tough project.. I posted most of this build at the time on the Hobby Havoc Forum.......but think it may have now been lost on that site as they were hacked a while back and it may have been lost.

Going to post a few pictures below of the kit and what it looked like in the box (what i had to start out withand the end product ),and some shots along the way as i was building it.

After all the work i put into it there is no way i would have put it in the air.I read here on RCU in the airplane section in one of the build threads for this model of a member who had went through all the hard work building one of these and crashed his model on it's first flight and totaled it out.That would make a grown man cry.[&o]

I'm happy to say mine hangs over my Sons pool table in his beach house for him,me,and all who vistit to injoy this neat model.I left off the main landing gear and built it without flaps as it was my intention not long after starting this model that it's fate was to be on display hanging over his pool table and would remain in one piece.

BIGMIG
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31528.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1740760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99192.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1740761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92319.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1740762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46882.jpg
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	1740763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw18760.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1740764   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wn86204.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	1740765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ce70809.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	1740766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sr58351.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	1740767  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Po99626.jpg
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1740768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ht88507.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	1740769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot84275.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1740770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jt81685.jpg
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	1740771  
Old 03-20-2012, 01:54 AM
BIGMIG

A little addition to the CORSAIR above.A portion of the super-glue that went into building this plane-lost track of how much went into the construction.The hardest part was covering the wing with balsa sheeting with all those angles.

BIGMIG

Name:	Us55016.jpg
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1740778  
Old 03-20-2012, 04:46 AM
mustclime

Nice plane.....whats with the tinnie prop? The reason those things had thebowed wings was to keep the huge prop from hitting the ground.That is like hanging a 50mm on a king tiger...

Old 03-20-2012, 05:38 AM
Panther F

I don't know ... it looks about right.

~ Jeff
Old 03-20-2012, 06:17 AM
mustclime

could be me.....
Old 03-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Nice looking plane, the Corsair is one of my favorites. My uncle flew one for the Marine Corps in WW2.

Not to be picky but you mis-spelled MARINES on the side of your plane, there is no "Y" in MARINES.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:16 PM
BIGMIG

Got a rather unique story that goes along with the CORSAIR and how i ended up with it.

Think it has been two or more years now since i built this kit.(lost track of the time frame now)

I went to visit one of my nephews to join in on a poker game which he has quite often. (hold'em game just for funwe don't play for real moneyjust family members )

Going to do this using the edit function as this web-site is still acting up......................

My nephew met me at the door and said hey uncle before you go in come out in the garrage i have something i want to show you.On the floor inside the door was three boxes.The Corsair kit...a Futaba radio box....a Supertigre Motor box.....

Here is the story........My nephew was at work and gets a call from his wife asking "what" and "why" is there a bunch of airplane stuff sitting on their front steps.His reply was "what airplane stuff"....(don't know what all the conversasion was that followed ) but do know he left work and drove home to see for sure what was found on his front poorch.

What was there was a brand new Top flite gold edition F4U CORSAIR box taped shut........A brand new Futaba 6 chanel radio....A brand new Super tigre 90 size engine.These boxes were full of dust and the motor box had been chewed on by a mouse.............

He opened the Corsair air kit and inside was all the receipts from the person who had bought all these items.There was a new hobby knife,and a box of 9 oz. epoxy.The kit was in perfect condition.Opened up the radio and it apeared nothing had ever been taken out of the box.Every thing still in its wrapers and had not been touched.The supertigre motor was still in it's original packing,allthough a mouse had chewed on one of the corners of the box but did not get through to the inside of it.It was just like you had bought it off the shelf inside.

The total of the sales slips was around $450.00 dollars (from memory heredo have the slips but would have to look for them ).

Are you ready for this.............? They had been bought at a local hobby shop in his town (now out of business )....Over 13 years ago from the day he had opened the box???

These boxes were very dusty and apeared to have set on a shelf for all those years.He has not a clue as to who put them on his steps.?
He lives next to a church in a very nice neighbor hood and thinks it was most likely one of the members there that placed this stuff on his steps...He does not know.? He is a RC flyier and thinks the person had seen him over time putting planes in and taking planes out of his car and was the reason they had left them on his door step.What had taken place we could only guess,but think someone had bought these and had mabe passed away before they had the chance to do anything with them.? (just guessing? )

After telling me all the details as to how he ended up with these...He said do you want them uncle ? You can have them.I think my reply was "what..are you for real ".......He said as you know uncle i don't fly gas models anymore,just electric and they are no good to me.(he has a big house and his downstairs family room and office looks like a toy store. ) I said yes i want them but insisted to make me feel a little better about taking them i had my wife give him a check for $100.00 dollars and i got a heck of a deal and he could use the 100 toward one of his next models. ( i'm kind of funny about getting something for nothing....Never feel right about that unless i pay for it or earn it by work of one kind or other ).

Hope you find this as interesting as i did.This is how i ended up building this model..........It is not one i would have went in and bought on my own as i knew this model was a bugger to build........

BIGMIG
Old 03-20-2012, 01:49 PM
strmnd54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Corsair has always been my favorite WWII airplane ....
I can"t help wondering how It would have performed against German airplanes ...????
Old 03-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: strmnd54

I can''t help wondering how It would have performed against German airplanes ...????
~~~~~~~

It's my favorite too........I think a dogfight with an FW190D would have been interesting.!!
Old 03-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Panther F

ORIGINAL: strmnd54

I can''t help wondering how It would have performed against German airplanes ...????

Like a big can of ...

and the same as it did in the PTO. (can you tell it's my fav too?)

~ Jeff
Old 03-23-2012, 01:06 AM
BIGMIG

Well mother nature decided to mess with us some more last night.Stuck the camera out the back door and snaped a couple of pictures around 11 P.M. ..........This can and does happen here this time of year (march 22-2012 ) but thnkfully not all that often.This is "spring" now,or is it.?

BIGMIG

Name:	Hs96379.jpg
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	1741638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ml88185.jpg
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1741639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85510.jpg
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1741640  
Old 03-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Panther F

HOA sent us a letter to please paint our mailbox and replace the numbers (that they said were peeling). I almost painted the damn thing pink (they didn't specify WHAT color), but the wife wouldn't let me. So, I bought a new plastic box (so it will never need paint) and screwed some huge numbers on the post (after color matching the house color with new paint).

I mean, after all ... we couldn't let the post go to hell too. Lets see if they like THAT!!!!!

~ Jeff
Old 03-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Martellus

Our HOA actually sent us a letter once stating we had painted our mailbox stand the wrong shade of brown. Ironically, it was the exact paint they specified to use.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:15 AM
mustclime

Had one of those moments last night...i was reading my King Tiger vs IS2 book and it hit me thatthe IS3/JS3 have the same number of road wheels as the KV1. When you look at it you find this....

KV1....L=6.75m,W=3.32m

IS3.....L=10.0m,W=3.2m

That means the IS3 was almost 3.25m longer with the same number of road wheels and .12m thiner( thats about 4 inches).....the rear deck is not very hard to make and the turret does not look that hard to doether...........I could really see cutting up a hl kv1 to make one of these......so many tanks, so little time....
Old 03-28-2012, 07:36 AM
Panther F

Out of all the JS tanks, to me the JS III looks the best. That, and the T 10 (which is a completely different tank) which closely resembles the JS III are just intimidating in the front glacis.

I'll be just happy with my KV-122 (when I build it) because I ain't scratch building nothin' no more!

~ Jeff
Old 03-28-2012, 08:05 AM
mustclime

the more I look at it, the more I do not understand why there are not a bunch of them running around on the IR battle fields.....For me, the lower hull is the hard part, wheels, tracks and suspension. Thats the tough part. For the IS3, It looks like you just cut off the front of the lower hull and add some space between each suspension mounting point and add about 3-4 inches in lenght...you need the late road wheels and you would need an extra pair for the idlers....the turret could be made by making a bunch of "CCCCC's" ...glueing them and filling in with putty......Yup, this look very do-able...
Old 03-28-2012, 08:20 AM
Panther F

As long as you use the correct engine deck and not have both, you'll be okay.

~ Jeff
Old 03-28-2012, 08:43 AM
mustclime

as far as rear decks go.....this is pretty easy....

Old 03-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Panther F

Ain't that cool looking? So menacing and evil! I built that tank with the AURORA kit back in the 70's and loved it so much, I bought another a few years ago and once thought of ... err, (cough cough) ummm, scratch building one. [X(]

But I thought I'd wait for surely it's so awesome looking SOMEONE would put it out.

Guess I was wrong about that.

~ Jeff
Old 03-29-2012, 09:04 AM
Panther F

Had to weed N feed the lawn today and to reward myself I thought I'd check out the new Jimmy Johns that just opened up here down the street.

There was no one in front of me when I ordered, but when I did drive up to the window they were just putting my order in the bag!!! Man ... they ARE freaky fast! And good! I had a number 10, that was double the roast beast and it just doesn't get much better than that.

Now I'm full and ready for my nap.

~ Jeff
Old 04-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Pah co chu puk

We got back from our Spring Break desert camping trip today. It was just our family this time and we had a great trip with wonderful weather… till it snowed. It snowed the whole drive home too. Life in the Mountains.
This trip included the usual fun stuff, hiking, rock climbing, shooting, four wheeling, exploring old mines and this time, RC tanks. I took a couple and tried them out on the slickrock. The Leo did well with the rubber track pads, the Jagdpanther not so well. I had hopes of a tank battle with my son out there, but we had too much other stuff to do, so all we did was drive them some. Still it was fun and I got some cool tank movie footage with the red rocks. We played with his green army men and toy tanks too. Here is some pix of the adventure.

Name:	Wu59924.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	1746162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44136.jpg
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	1746163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96878.jpg
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	1746164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82815.jpg
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	1746165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84951.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	1746166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79201.jpg
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	1746167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77118.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	1746168  
Old 04-04-2012, 08:08 PM
BIGMIG

Nice pictures Pah co chu puk,

Looked at these the other day and as we all know there are many pretty places in this great U.S. of A.

Thanks for posting them..................BIGMIG
Old 04-05-2012, 04:07 AM
Pah co chu puk

Your Welcome.

I love to explore The West. There is a lot of cool places out here. Here is a Google Earth shot with the Lat & Lon for our campsite... if any of you make it out here on vacation.

Don't go in to any of the mines, they are Uranium and Vanadium mines. Don't take rocks home.

http://www.mindat.org/loc-24282.html

http://www.mindat.org/min-907.html

Name:	Ay73947.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	1746906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81919.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	1746907  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.