Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

call for help to the 'electronics' on this board for a Wirbelwind project

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

call for help to the 'electronics' on this board for a Wirbelwind project

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 02:36 AM
Jussek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default call for help to the 'electronics' on this board for a Wirbelwind project

Hi chaps, i need help from the ‘electronically’ talented people in this board<o></o>

I’m immersed in a new project, a Wirbelwind based in an old HL PzIV chassis. I want to hold the costs to a minimum, and I would like to use the HL electronics, the HL remote and a beier sound card for the sounds. I already own them, so I do not have to expend money in this area. <o></o>

The alternative could be the future Taipan board, or the RC2HL solution, but the shipping costs from OZ to Spain are ‘devastating’…<o></o>

Without taking into account the use of recoiling, if possible at all, I would like to know what you think about my idea, if it’s feasible or do you have any other way to do it… so:<o></o>

- imagine a turret less HL PzIV, with the Wirbelwind one installed and with the flakvierling inside<o></o>

- imagine that no servos would be used for elevation of the guns or rotating the turret, only engines.<o></o>

- the turret rotation would be the same as any other HL<o></o>

<o></o>

The standard HL ‘8 wires’ group of cables going from the RX18 to the upper hull is distributed in this way:<o></o>

<o></o>

pin 1 (black)-negative turret rotation (3.8V - 4.0V)
pin 2 (
red)+positive turret rotation

pin 3 (blue)-negative motor gun fire recoil airsoft (4V)
pin 4 (yellow)-negative motor gun elevation (7.2V)
pin 5 (
brown)+positive common to elevation and gun engines

pin 6 (
green)+positive common to light and MG shooting
pin 7 (white) - negative light
pin 8 (orange)-negative MG shooting<o></o>

<o></o>

so then:<o></o>

<o></o>

- there would be no tank gun or recoil or fire system, then the pin 3 (blue) would be free<o></o>

- it would be possible to use the pins 6 and 8 for MG shooting to fire the flakvierling LEDs with the K button<o></o>

- on the remote, stick down controls the tank gun elevation, but on a cyclic way, the engine always runs in the same direction (no polarity reverse)<o></o>

- on the remote, stick up controls the tank gun firing<o></o>

<o></o>

Well, have I said any incorrect?<o></o>

<o></o>

Now, the possible solution to have elevation and depression of the flakvierling , up or down, without the cyclic thing, and is here where I need your thoughts and advice!<o></o>

<o></o>

Could be possible, to use the ‘liberated’ pin 3 (blue) (remember, no tank gun to be fired) to make the elevation engine to turn in the opposite way? <o></o>

With some electronic component? A polarity inverter? A relay? An H bridge?...?<o></o>

<o></o>

If this i just said could be doable, then the guns could be fired with the remote’s K button, the remote’s sticks down and up to control the flak elevation…<o></o>

<o></o>

What do you think? Do you have any other idea to achieve what I want?<o></o>

<o></o>

Best regards and thank you very much!<o></o>

<o></o>

<o></o>

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45342.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	1859475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73824.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	1859476  
Old 03-08-2013, 05:40 AM
karel47

Default RE: call for help to the 'electronics' on this board for a Wirbelwind project

dan can help you for that, he made a set for my upcomoing wirbelwind from the tamiya P4 ausf J

YHR is his name here he will shorely help you out

Dan i have to contact you for that, not forgotten will soon email you

karel
Old 03-08-2013, 06:45 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: call for help to the 'electronics' on this board for a Wirbelwind project

I hae no experience with the Beier sound card. You could make this work with a DBC3 as it would allow you to use a servo for the gun elevation. Without that though you are kind of hopped if you just stick with the RX 18.

Cheers

Dan
Old 03-08-2013, 07:48 AM
Jussek

hi all!

thanks for your comments

Dan, the main problem is that i would try to use what i already have. Buying a DBC3 also requires a benedini, a receiver (maybe ESCs too) and a decent remote, same case if i buy the RC2HL or the Taipan (when available). One will trevel from north america, the other from oz ...

is possible that have to fall in changing my mind and be force to go one way or the other, but firts i would like to be sure that what i've thought is doable, or not...

looking for threads talking about electronics, servos, and the like, i saw replies from different memebers who have-it seems to me- a high level in this matter, and here is may hope, that any of them could say something...

Karel, do you have any link to your project? i would like to follow the work of others walking my same path!

best regards
Old 03-08-2013, 09:15 AM
karel47

it is still unstarted am busy on a couple of 1/10 defender MP version etc and two 1/16 halftracks 251/1 ausf B and D

the link is here so far : on BTB :forum.battletanksbelgie.be/viewtopic.php

i let you know when it starts

ORIGINAL: Jussek

hi all!

thanks for your comments

Dan, the main problem is that i would try to use what i already have. Buying a DBC3 also requires a benedini, a receiver (maybe ESCs too) and a decent remote, same case if i buy the RC2HL or the Taipan (when available). One will trevel from north america, the other from oz ...

is possible that have to fall in changing my mind and be force to go one way or the other, but firts i would like to be sure that what i've thought is doable, or not...

looking for threads talking about electronics, servos, and the like, i saw replies from different memebers who have-it seems to me- a high level in this matter, and here is may hope, that any of them could say something...

Karel, do you have any link to your project? i would like to follow the work of others walking my same path!

best regards
Old 03-20-2013, 05:28 AM
Jussek

go for it Karel! ;-)

have i translated it corretly your link?? are you saying there that you will use a RX18 + DBC3 + benedini? also, i think that the soundfiles are a special mod by YHR and are already done?

i'm openminded, and i want to know what alternatives could be used in this project!

i would like to be able to customize the sounds, it's a feature i love in the Beier cards. Dan, could you explain to an electro-illiterate like me what could be done with your combo in order to run a wirbelwind?

the project i'm working on will use 3 servos, one for rotation, one for elevation and the other for the gun's recoil (yes, i've a colleague in a spanish forum who is SURE it could be done!)

if this is a viable option, then we could talk ;-)

any idea would be wellcome!

best regards

Old 03-20-2013, 06:14 AM
karel47

yes dan have the soundfiles allready at disposal , the pitty is i converted a tamiya FO Pzkfz IV ausf J , very expensive kit but very well made too ... but for now the tamiya is still in the box but i have him at my collection ... no worry

the downpoint i have to skip the tamiya mf module from the P4
Old 03-21-2013, 01:16 AM
Jussek

thank you karel

best regards
Old 03-21-2013, 04:45 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

An RX 18 DBC/benedini combo would be able to do all this. For rotation you would use the RX 18, elevation could be controlled with a servo, and the recoil could be built to have a negative pulse trigger it. I have the sound files built for the Benedini for this.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:17 AM
Jussek

hello Dan

thanks for your reply

so, the Santa list could be:

- RX18 (i have it already)
- HL turret turn device (i have it already)
- DBCx (x=3?)
- benedini TS mini
- TBS programming cable
- 6ch receiver (wich one?)
- 6ch remote(wich one?)
- 2 mini/micro servos
- anything else?

the benedini, will produce ALL the sounds, am i right?

how would this combo manage to fire the 4 guns? using the MG instead of the main gun?

best regards