Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Advice for first R/C tank choice

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Advice for first R/C tank choice

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 04:37 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

And even my R/C tanks have R/C tanks.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2479.JPG
Views:	675
Size:	4.30 MB
ID:	2036295   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2481.JPG
Views:	803
Size:	3.60 MB
ID:	2036296  
Old 09-30-2014, 05:25 AM
MarcParis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol maxus! (R/C for R/C..)

I continue to find that this following kit : http://www.rctank.de/1/16-Tiger-I-early-Version-panzer-kit could suit my requests..

I go forward to this kit, what are your suggestions as electronics, smoke kit, and noise..euh sound system (I would like a real good one like Tamiya one if possible..)

For sound system, I've heard HL one and it was... just awful..

Last edited by MarcParis; 09-30-2014 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:58 AM
Max-U52

Hey Marc,

Were the videos at the bottom of page one of any help?
Old 09-30-2014, 06:01 AM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by MarcParis
Lol maxus! (R/C for R/C..)

I continue to find that this following kit : https://delphi.my.salesforce.com/ could suit my requests..

I go forward to this kit, what are your suggestions as electronics, smoke kit, and noise..euh sound system (I would like a real good one like Tamiya one if possible..)

For sound system, I've heard HL one and it was... just awful..
I tried this link and it asked me to log in, so I didn't get to see the kit. I'll be purchasing my first Tamiya kit this year, the Sherman. I want to build an easy eight and the only tank on the market with the HVSS is the Tamiya kit.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:13 AM
MarcParis

Originally Posted by maxu52
Hey Marc,

Were the videos at the bottom of page one of any help?
Not yet I don't have access to Youtube from work

I tried this link and it asked me to log in, so I didn't get to see the kit. I'll be purchasing my first Tamiya kit this year, the Sherman. I want to build an easy eight and the only tank on the market with the HVSS is the Tamiya kit.
You are right...bad copy/paste from my part. I've updated the link :
http://www.rctank.de/1/16-Tiger-I-ea...ion-panzer-kit

Nice for your first Tamiya kit!..
Old 09-30-2014, 08:32 AM
Max-U52

Unless you're buying that just so you can build it yourself I'm not sure it's such a good deal. When you get done you'll basically have the same tank as the Taigen full metal Tiger, but without the electronics. The price is lower than the taigen, but once you buy electronics they'll come out about the same, so like I said, unless you just want the experience of building it yourself you'd be better off with the taigen.

I'm not sure, but I thought you could watch the videos right on this site, without having to go to youtube. Do they have it blocked or something?
Old 09-30-2014, 09:13 AM
TexasTank

It might be easiest just to marry into Max's family.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:55 AM
MarcParis

Unless you're buying that just so you can build it yourself I'm not sure it's such a good deal. When you get done you'll basically have the same tank as the Taigen full metal Tiger, but without the electronics. The price is lower than the taigen, but once you buy electronics they'll come out about the same, so like I said, unless you just want the experience of building it yourself you'd be better off with the taigen.

I'm not sure, but I thought you could watch the videos right on this site, without having to go to youtube. Do they have it blocked or something?
In fact from my work network, youtube is blocked. I've just managed to look at your video...metal tiger I looks cool...
Your tank collection is huge...hopefully tanks park almost park alone... thank you again to have it shared with me.

For my personal need, I would like to build my tank and customize even electronics...metal tiger I kit seems to be a good move. However I need to know what alternativ electronic I could put in it. I saw a youtube video with impressive sound system...
what will be your advice for these alternatives?
Old 09-30-2014, 10:16 AM
Max-U52

The best advice I can give you is to talk to Curtis at Immortal Hobbies. His screen name here is freakydude, and he's really good with that stuff. He's working on a FPV video system to put in tanks that's gonna be really cool. I can't wait till he brings it to market. You'll be able to battle as though you were actually in the tank, and I'm pretty sure you'll be able to take video of the commander's view. Anyway, if anyone can put together a package you'll love at a good price it's Curtis. When I get ready to set up a tank to be Tamiya compatible that's where I'll go.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:17 AM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by TexasTank
It might be easiest just to marry into Max's family.
Sorry, Buddy, I've only got two sisters, one married and one gay so I think you're outta luck.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:55 PM
TexasTank

Marc, its just my opinion, but I would steer you away from Tamiya as your first tank. Go with IMEX. They have their technical support go to guy on these forums about every day, his name is Erik. I have both the metal Tiger 1 and Torro Tiger II. Either one of them would be an excellent, advanced first tank for you to have. Do you want BBs or a infrared firing system?
Old 09-30-2014, 10:56 PM
mondo

To me metal only has value in mechanical and structural components where it's actually needed. Everything else - other than PE - is just adding wear and tear. Tamiya proved with the 2a6 that you can build a plastic and nylon tank which which, with sparing use of bearings could be more reliable and structurally sound than these metal/plastic hybrids.

I'd go with the Tamiya. It's a higher initial cost but once you start modifying and putting in better electronics, the others all add up to the same cost. You can get a King Tiger for 500 euros if you shop around, which isn't much more expensive than a Taigan.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:59 AM
CaptainB

I'd agree with Mondo.........all the hybrid stuff that is going on now is just increasing the cost of what many regard as entry level tanking. I have many HL tanks which I have upgraded and spent a fortune on and although I enjoyed the modelling aspect, it was frustrating and I've ended up with tamiya level costs on my tanks. However, tamiya dont make a panzer 3 or a bulldog (yet) so your kinda led the HL way if you want those models. Personally, I'm sticking with the tamiya route now and just swallowing the upfront cost. If your not that bothered about true scale detail in your models and budget is tight, then the HL route is okay and you do get a running tank more or less out of the box (hopefully).
cheers

CaptB
Old 10-01-2014, 03:27 AM
mondo

There are some good PzIII options out their though. I've always been tempted by the Mato all metal one, just because I can solder PE onto it. Just not sure if that's worth the weight and the wear on the gearboxes. I know that contradicts what I said somewhat but it looks to be as good an option as the Asiatam plastic/metal hybrid.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:56 AM
MarcParis

Originally Posted by TexasTank
Marc, its just my opinion, but I would steer you away from Tamiya as your first tank. Go with IMEX. They have their technical support go to guy on these forums about every day, his name is Erik. I have both the metal Tiger 1 and Torro Tiger II. Either one of them would be an excellent, advanced first tank for you to have. Do you want BBs or a infrared firing system?
In fact I really want to build my tank...if I buy it already built I will have the feeling to get a toy and not a r/c model (it's just my opinion).
Now to build my tank I've 2 options : Taigen metal Tiger 1 kit or Tamiya King tiger kit
Currently I don't really know if I will BB or IR...I like both.., My personal use of the tank will be playing at home, with cats nearby...I guess IR will be the safest way..

Originally Posted by mondo
To me metal only has value in mechanical and structural components where it's actually needed. Everything else - other than PE - is just adding wear and tear. Tamiya proved with the 2a6 that you can build a plastic and nylon tank which which, with sparing use of bearings could be more reliable and structurally sound than these metal/plastic hybrids.

I'd go with the Tamiya. It's a higher initial cost but once you start modifying and putting in better electronics, the others all add up to the same cost. You can get a King Tiger for 500 euros if you shop around, which isn't much more expensive than a Taigan.
You are right : it's possible to get King Tiger Tamiya kit for around 500 euros. Now I've also the Torro Metal Tiger I kit at around 300 euros (without mainboard, smoke and sound system). This last kit seems to me a very good opportunity to update weak point of standard taigen/HL tank (electronics).

Originally Posted by CaptainB
I'd agree with Mondo.........all the hybrid stuff that is going on now is just increasing the cost of what many regard as entry level tanking. I have many HL tanks which I have upgraded and spent a fortune on and although I enjoyed the modelling aspect, it was frustrating and I've ended up with tamiya level costs on my tanks. However, tamiya dont make a panzer 3 or a bulldog (yet) so your kinda led the HL way if you want those models. Personally, I'm sticking with the tamiya route now and just swallowing the upfront cost. If your not that bothered about true scale detail in your models and budget is tight, then the HL route is okay and you do get a running tank more or less out of the box (hopefully).
cheers

CaptB
Honestly I don't want to go to an already assembled model...it will be a kit to assemble. Now I've the choice between two...it will be a difficult choice..
Old 10-01-2014, 04:05 AM
mondo

I think the Torro comes as ready to run.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:24 AM
Max-U52

Since you've made up your mind what you want (most guys have a real hard time doin' that!) I think you'll be happiest with the Torro kit. If the cost of Tamiya wasn't a concern you would have already bought one, and you keep coming back to the torro kit so it's becoming clear that that's the kit that you'll get the most fun out of and feel the best about. And it is an excellent opportunity to put in proper electronics right from the start. I'll be watching that closely and askin' ya lots of questions because I want to do the same thing myself so it will be wonderful for me to watch how it goes for you.

I think you're right that you should start with IR, and one great thing about the Torro T1 is that you can get an additional metal turret (or plastic) with airsoft so it's easy to go back and forth. I have that set-up going myself. The extra metal turret is just over $100 US and the plastic is a lot less. Just three screws and some plugs for the wiring and you go from IR to airsoft in less than 5 minutes. Immortal Hobbies also has extra turrets that will fit the Torro kit. It may be just a tiny bit more complicated to swap turrets with Tamiya compatible IR, but I doubt it. Curtis would know. I'm still hoping he'll chime in here for you.

You also have a different situation than Joel and I in that you're in France. Over here we have Imex in the same country so that makes things MUCH easier for us. How are the duties and taxes when you buy stuff from the UK? I know there are many, many very talented tankers and modelers over there. I would suggest that you check out the website for finescale modeler magazine, www.finescale.com because they have guys there that do incredible things with static armor models. You mentioned before that your painting could use improvement, and the fsm site is definitely the place for that. I know a couple British modelers that are on that site that are just great guys. Did you see my thread about scale comparison, with the 1/16 and 1/48 Tiger tanks side by side? That will show you how easy it is to take your favorite smaller scale armor and duplicate it in 16th scale. We've got guys here, like Tom and Rex, just to name two, that are doing amazing stuff with the scale accuracy in this hobby, so you really got into this at the right time. It's only gonna get better from here.

So quit quibblin' and buy the Torro kit so you can start posting photos of the build for us to drool over.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:31 AM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by mondo
I think the Torro comes as ready to run.
They also have it as a kit. Marc posted a link to the kit he wants a few posts back. It looks like it's the torro full metal, you just have to put it together yourself.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:54 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcParis
In fact from my work network, youtube is blocked. I've just managed to look at your video...metal tiger I looks cool...
Your tank collection is huge...hopefully tanks park almost park alone... thank you again to have it shared with me.

For my personal need, I would like to build my tank and customize even electronics...metal tiger I kit seems to be a good move. However I need to know what alternativ electronic I could put in it. I saw a youtube video with impressive sound system...
what will be your advice for these alternatives?
You have an array of sound systems to chose from
Clark
El Mod
IBU2
Sound Dynamics
Benedini
Tamiya

So this market is well served, All of them have their strong points.

I sell the Benedini sound system and a Digital encoder(DBC3) that digitally takes joystick movements converts then to a digital signal that then tells the Benedini what sound to play. The strong points of this system are that it is programmable and you can generate your own sounds. Of all the programmable cards, the Benedini TBS is the easiest to build good sounding files. It also has the very best engine transition sounds. When the model goes into motion other cards do a frequency shift to simulate increased RPM, the TBS does not. It is noticable to the point I have witnessed other card demos do not show the tank in motion. They will demo the start up, cannon, MG, and shutdown, but no tank in motion

For the purpose of sound TBS/DBC3 does not care what drive system you use and can be made to work with any RC equipment that uses standard servo signals

My advice is to shop around, find out what is the most important features to you, and then buy the appropriate system

Here is a TBS demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAcCcArnWm0
Old 10-01-2014, 05:59 AM
MarcParis

Originally Posted by YHR
You have an array of sound systems to chose from
Clark
El Mod
IBU2
Sound Dynamics
Benedini
Tamiya

So this market is well served, All of them have their strong points.

I sell the Benedini sound system and a Digital encoder(DBC3) that digitally takes joystick movements converts then to a digital signal that then tells the Benedini what sound to play. The strong points of this system are that it is programmable and you can generate your own sounds. Of all the programmable cards, the Benedini TBS is the easiest to build good sounding files. It also has the very best engine transition sounds. When the model goes into motion other cards do a frequency shift to simulate increased RPM, the TBS does not. It is noticable to the point I have witnessed other card demos do not show the tank in motion. They will demo the start up, cannon, MG, and shutdown, but no tank in motion

For the purpose of sound TBS/DBC3 does not care what drive system you use and can be made to work with any RC equipment that uses standard servo signals

My advice is to shop around, find out what is the most important features to you, and then buy the appropriate system

Here is a TBS demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAcCcArnWm0
Thank you for your advice.
I'll have a look to the video tonight.

I started quickly yesterday evening to look at mainboard.
I've foudn those ones :
http://www.rctank.de/IBU2-PRO-multi-...rd-full-option
http://www.rctank.de/ELMOD-ThinkTank...dul-FUSION-PRO

What I liked with IBU2 is that you can set motor speed limit in order to simulate better realism.

I've the feeling that finding alternativ electronics will be a good challenge also..
Old 10-01-2014, 08:11 AM
TexasTank

In fact I really want to build my tank...if I buy it already built I will have the feeling to get a toy and not a r/c model (it's just my opinion).

Even ready to run tanks, like the Torro KT and IMEX Tiger I will need maintenance and some repairs. You'd realize pretty quick once you open it up its no toy. You'll certainly need a soldering iron.

Best wishes,
Joel
Old 10-01-2014, 10:19 AM
MarcParis

@YHR : just watched your video...i like reload sound...

@Texas Tank : i know they are no toys at alll... It's just my feeling if I don't build it. It will be Tamiya or Torro kit..
Old 10-01-2014, 11:04 AM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

I can't comment about the Torro kit, but the Tamiya Tiger I is a better first kit than the Tamiya King Tiger. The King Tiger needs upgraded track tensioners and the tracks are prone to breaking. Upgrading the tracks to metal ones leads to increased gearbox wear, which requires upgraded gearboxes...... you get the picture. Its still an easy build, recently I came across a kid of 12 or 13 who built it all by himself with only minor tweaks required.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:48 PM
Shark27

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Marc,
Here is the link to the assembly manual of the Tamiya Tiger one, so you can get an idea of how they are put together. Tamiya RC Tank Manuals
The RC tanks are down towards the bottom of the page but they have both the Tiger 1 and the King Tiger and a couple of other tanks.
Also do yourself a favor and do a search for some of the tank builds here on the RCU and you will gain some insights regarding the different brands and see what other people have done as far as builds and rebuilds. Some very ingenious people here.

Steve
Old 10-01-2014, 11:57 PM
MarcParis

Originally Posted by cleong
I can't comment about the Torro kit, but the Tamiya Tiger I is a better first kit than the Tamiya King Tiger. The King Tiger needs upgraded track tensioners and the tracks are prone to breaking. Upgrading the tracks to metal ones leads to increased gearbox wear, which requires upgraded gearboxes...... you get the picture. Its still an easy build, recently I came across a kid of 12 or 13 who built it all by himself with only minor tweaks required.
Originally Posted by Shark27
Marc,
Here is the link to the assembly manual of the Tamiya Tiger one, so you can get an idea of how they are put together. Tamiya RC Tank Manuals
The RC tanks are down towards the bottom of the page but they have both the Tiger 1 and the King Tiger and a couple of other tanks.
Also do yourself a favor and do a search for some of the tank builds here on the RCU and you will gain some insights regarding the different brands and see what other people have done as far as builds and rebuilds. Some very ingenious people here.

Steve
Thank you for your feedback, and links to Tamiya handling manuals.
Here is the link to Torro model kit handling manual for comparison (http://www.imex-model.com/TANK%20MAN...12501.html#p=1)

Indeed Tamiya Tiger 1 Rc kit is impressive, especially tracks and speakers...

Well done...now I hesitated between Torro/tamiya Tiger I kit, tiger II kit.

On other hand, I've looked to alternativ mainboard (IBU2 mainly as it's 100% compatible with HL/taigen), but it's still too early..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.