Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Advice for first R/C tank choice

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Advice for first R/C tank choice

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 12:37 AM
MarcParis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I found my graal for electronics..
Here is the vide I've found :
http://youtu.be/FUOF5ZJxNug It's HL/Torro Tiger I fitted with :
I found sound system better than Tamiya, and also tank behaviour (speed, rotation) seems good, more realistic than HL/Torro base system.

It's getting better and better...
Old 10-02-2014, 04:20 AM
welchgc

I always recommend the Tagien Metal Tiger I LATE - excellent price point, great runner, and looks fantastic.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:38 AM
MarcParis

Originally Posted by welchgc
I always recommend the Tagien Metal Tiger I LATE - excellent price point, great runner, and looks fantastic.
You mean this model ? If yes, that's true, it's a beautiful piece..
http://www.rctank.de/24-GHz-TIGRE-I-...HENILLES-METAL
Old 10-02-2014, 12:18 PM
MarcParis

I've found this kit : Full metal Tiger I + Clark motherboard
http://www.rctank.de/TIGER-FULL-META...remote-control

I've question about full metal Tiger 1 : apparently turret turns 360°, does it mean it's not the same turret system as standard HL/taigen version?
Old 10-02-2014, 04:42 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes that would be a nice tank. I think now that Mato is making a hobby grade radio available we are going to see more tanks packaged with a Clark board and sold as RTR. As you can see this does get the tanks into that +$600 range, so we are not talking inexpensive anymore
Old 10-03-2014, 12:56 AM
MarcParis

Originally Posted by YHR
Yes that would be a nice tank. I think now that Mato is making a hobby grade radio available we are going to see more tanks packaged with a Clark board and sold as RTR. As you can see this does get the tanks into that +$600 range, so we are not talking inexpensive anymore
Yes we arrived at the same price level as Tamiya model kit...

This full metal tiger is from Taigen?Mato?

Other question, this full metal tiger seems to have a turret rotation of 360° whereas taigen tanks are limited to 320°, am i correct?
Old 10-03-2014, 01:28 AM
MarcParis

in fact I'm starting to get lost in Taigen/HL/Torro offers.. There are so many variants.
For example on full metal taigen tank, turret is only 320° rotation (http://www.imex-model.com/TANK%20MAN...2010.html#p=13)

So why is it stated 360 on rctank.de...maybe it's a mistake or new update of full metal tank?

Thanks for your guidance
Old 10-03-2014, 02:33 AM
MarcParis

Originally Posted by MarcParis
in fact I'm starting to get lost in Taigen/HL/Torro offers.. There are so many variants.
For example on full metal taigen tank, turret is only 320° rotation (http://www.imex-model.com/TANK%20MAN...2010.html#p=13)

So why is it stated 360 on rctank.de...maybe it's a mistake or new update of full metal tank?

Thanks for your guidance
Well I understood..things are becoming clearer...
As stated by YHR, this tank is a MATO full metal tank (http://www.rctank.de/TIGER-FULL-META...remote-control), and it's well 360° rotation tank.
Taigen/HL/Torro metal version is well 320° turret rotation.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:17 AM
YHR

The Mato Tank does not have torsion bar suspension either, but the hull is water tight so I there is a decision to make around this as well.. Some people car about torsion bar suspension as that is what the real tank has, and others don't .
Old 10-03-2014, 04:40 AM
YHR

I guess this is another example of Mato packaging their metal tanks with Clark boards and their 2.4 ghz hobby grade radio. .A full metal Tamiya compatible RTR tank with decent sound and transmitter for just over $600 seems like a good deal to me, considering we are all aware that a good battle tank, regardless of make, is going to cost you this amount, even if you start with a $139 basic Heng Long.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:54 AM
MarcParis

Yes i agree that a good rc tank will cost me around 600euros...what ever choice I will make...
Thus I will wait for additionnal one or two months before buying anything...time to save enough money and decide...
Old 10-05-2014, 06:14 AM
johnnymike

It is interesting for me to follow your thread. I am in a very similar situation as you.
First RC tank, some RC experience some time ago, somewhat overwhelmed with what direction to go,
trying to compare features versus cost, rtr versus kit based on my ability to do things like doing a good paint job.
I have enjoyed your thought process. I still am not sure which way I will go.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:16 AM
MarcParis

Originally Posted by johnnymike
It is interesting for me to follow your thread. I am in a very similar situation as you.
First RC tank, some RC experience some time ago, somewhat overwhelmed with what direction to go,
trying to compare features versus cost, rtr versus kit based on my ability to do things like doing a good paint job.
I have enjoyed your thought process. I still am not sure which way I will go.
Thank you for your interest.

In order to help my decision, I've started to mount a static model kit T55 from trumper (1/35)...it is a good practice for assembly and painting.
Currently I've more or less finished assembly but I've some rework to do (inverted track.. put in place tool boxes and additional gas tank).
On painting, I've just made the raw color (using glycero paint from Humbrol).
Current result is not bad, but not good as well..

But this pratice I'll be able to see is plastic model will be acceptable for me or not.. For sure I want metal tracks and wheels...but I'm not so sure now for hull and turret.

I will let you know.. I also want to make some photos on my finish work..
Old 10-06-2014, 05:05 AM
johnnymike

I too wanted an all metal tank at first but in reading more I think a plastic top is OK also.
What is most important to me is realistic movement. I will not battle other tanks so I want to go at realistic speeds
and have accurate turret and barel movements.
I don't have enough knowledge to complete this as it seems most rtr tanks operate at speeds for batteling and this is too fast for my taste.
i am looking at a rtr unit and have some one like Immortal Hobbies modify it for me.

Kind regards
JMS
Old 10-06-2014, 05:38 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey Johnny, for you the imex tiger one would be perfect. It comes with four shaft gearboxes so it has very much more realistic speed. I'm going to try and test it for scale speed, but I know the real thing had a top speed of 28 mph, and that's not exactly blazing speed, ya know? I'm sure Curtis (immortal hobbies) will be happy to modify it for you, but all you really need to start is to have the steel gears put in. I really think the Imex T1 Late is about as close to a real RTR tank as you can get. The only thing I'd like to change is to make elevation and turret rotation more proportional, but you pretty much have to go with a hobby grade TX to do that. But once again, if I've said it once I've said it a hundred times, THIS IS A HOBBY, and you HAVE to work on these things.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:23 AM
johnnymike

Maxu52

I am kind of partial to Russian tanks. What do you think of the new metal Tiagen T34?
Old 10-06-2014, 07:26 AM
MarcParis

Originally Posted by johnnymike
Maxu52

I am kind of partial to Russian tanks. What do you think of the new metal Tiagen T34?
Speaking of Russian Tank..do you know where I can find Hooben T55 1/16 tank??...Tried to find it in Europe and failed.. (I've just found it once in Canada..)
Old 10-06-2014, 07:27 AM
Max-U52

Hey Johnny, I haven't seen one myself, but I hear nothing but good things about it. Dan just got the lower hull and posted a thread on it. Check it out.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...s-arrived.html

Last edited by Max-U52; 10-06-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:33 AM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by MarcParis
Speaking of Russian Tank..do you know where I can find Hooben T55 1/16 tank??...Tried to find it in Europe and failed.. (I've just found it once in Canada..)
Chris Ludwig has them here

http://www.ludwigs-hobby-seite.de/t-55.html

and ebay has this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Award-Winner...-/150895250007

Oz armor has them, too, but their site is down or something.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:39 PM
MarcParis

Originally Posted by maxu52
Chris Ludwig has them here

http://www.ludwigs-hobby-seite.de/t-55.html

and ebay has this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Award-Winner...-/150895250007

Oz armor has them, too, but their site is down or something.
Tahnk you Maxu52..
In Ludwigs-hobby, it's out of sale in fact..
On ebay, it's coming from Canada also..

T55 is really difficult to find (or too expensive at the end..)
Old 10-07-2014, 05:17 AM
MarcParis

I'm still in search on alternativ electronics. I've discovered yesterday elmod mainboard...and it seems to be the pinnacle of alternativ electronics..
Of course it's the most expensive.. But you have interesting features like "physics engine", full customization using computer (through usb ports), gear change/progressive engine sound...my pinnacle I bet.

It's becoming clear that even Tamiya electronics could find their master...and could be replaced.

My though is still in progress.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:34 AM
mondo

Elmod is pretty good, I'm about to use one in a Tamiya King Tiger. Tamiya may not be the best in every sense now, however they're still unmatched in quality and reliability. Also as you've seen, the closer you bring a Taigan, HL or Mato to Tamiya standards the cost spirals to the point of questioning why not start out with a Tamiya in the first instance. You can easily buy a Tamiya kit, sell the electronics and gear boxes and buy a set of Impact TBUs and Elmod and not be out of pocket and be safe in the knowledge you don't have to spend money else where. It depends on how much you like to model and how much you'd like to eventually end up spending. I know from experience from owning a HL Tiger, Taigan Tiger and Tamiya Tiger that once you've brought former 2 to the quality of the latter, you'll end up spending as much if not more.

When all is said and done its about availability and which company makes the best model for the price and what you're happy with. If I was to buy another Tiger and certainly another Leo 2 I'd get Tamiya simply because they're superior models (literally nothing touches that Leo2 and its almost all plastic!) but if I was to get a Panther I'd think twice about the Tamiya kit because others can match it. I'm aware thought that the end cost would probably be more than the Tamiya but I'd probably have something I'm more happy with.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:54 AM
MarcParis

You are 100% right...that's the main focus of my reflexion.
In any case (HL/taigen/torro/mato or Tamiya) I will need to buy new electronics and remote controller.

Now RTR or DIY kits are second in terms of importance as I will need to update tank anyway.
I'm aiming only elmod (not impact TBU).

Your proposal to sale unused Tamiya electronics is great and could be a viable solution.
When you mean better quality on Tamiya model kit, do you include : Turret movement system, engine, smoke unit and speaker (clearly on speaker Taigen/HL are dull..)?
Old 10-07-2014, 09:08 PM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Elmod is awesome for the scale R/c tank driver in all of us. From what I've seen and read, they drive well and have the most 'scale' features you want in a tank driving. Ask YHR about coupling it with a Benedini sound driver for wicked performance.

Don't forget about more simple options like Clark boards, either. They are relatively inexpensive and you get a lot of features and customization that Tamiya can't match, for half the price. I'm personally completely on board with Clark and love driving and battling with them. The downside is that they aren't customization for sounds; a Tiger board will always be a Tiger and you can't change the sound options. They are also 95% plug and play with Taigen / Heng Long tanks so you don't need to spend time re-wiring things.

Marc you're doing well reading up on the different options and figuring out what's available to you! I think you can be very satisfied with a tank, radio gear and electronics for well under 600 euro, too, rctank.de is a good guy for parts and excellent service but honestly their complete tanks are a bit expensive compared to eBay, Taigen directly or other vendors for the exact same tank.

Examples:
King Tiger (Taigen / Torro) with (what I consider) the best gearboxes for this class of tank
http://www.artistichobbies.com/prodd...R13535&cat=123

T-34/85 (Taigen) metal chassis and excellent construction, really good job by Taigen releasing this
http://www.artistichobbies.com/prodd...?prod=TAG13031

A Clark board will drop right into these tanks in 5 minutes. A hobby radio & receiver is all you need :P

P.s. I'm really glad this thread hasn't devolved into a Tamiya /HengLong brand shouting match.. good job boys!
Old 10-08-2014, 12:57 AM
MarcParis

Thank you Strato50 for your answer/advice..

For prices of rctank.de, well, for Europe, they are quite good. Don't forget big transportation cost and taxes when importing from Canada or US.

I'm currently focusing myself to what I truly await from a RC tank (plastic/metal hull? electronics on board? Remote control?) A long process lol..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.