Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

ASP2, IBU2 or IBU3 Recommendations and opinions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

ASP2, IBU2 or IBU3 Recommendations and opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 07:00 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

The only thing that's made me hesitate so much on the elmod is the price.

Alaa, I'm glad you like the videos (yes, the Gary Hoff channel is me, though that's a pen name). In my humble opinion, the Asp has the most realistic driving. But remember, I haven't tried the IBU3 or the elmod. Not sure about the lipo cut-off for Asp, as I always use an LVA. Even with my IBU2s, which do have lipo protection. I don't do a lot of IR battling so I'm not sure about the MG feature. I don't think the Asp can use track recoil and shoot on the fly, but I'd have to ask Kevin. Again, this is a feature I never use, and I have quite a few komodos and ATRCs to get rid of track recoil in my stock tanks.

If you have the skills to rewire for the Asp that might be your best bet. It's really hard to recommend a board like this without knowing more about the person in question. But, given that this will be your first hobby grade board I still say the IBU2 will be the easiest and give you the most satisfaction, but you'll want to add an Asp as soon as you get a bit deeper into hobby grade tanks. Have you thought about radios? If you go with the Asp you will need at least a seven channel radio to get the full effect, where the IBU2 can use any four channel TX. I personally use at least a 6 channel with my IBU2s, but I have viper units for volume control and those need a spare channel with a potentiometer. Ian has FlySky i6 radios he sets up for the IBU3 that come ready to go, and I'm using an i10 with an IBU2 in my Jagdtiger. That also has the TPA so I need two pots for the two different sound channels, and I'm also using a slide switch for the servo operated machine gun in the bow. But, the IBU2 will run on the T6 from Hobby King (my Stug has an IBU2 and a T6) and those are very cheap, like $25 US. For a first board I think the Hobby King HK6S might be a good choice, under $35 and very easy to use. I've had a couple of those and I like them, but from now on I'll spend the extra few dollars for the Turnigy TGY-i6. Basically the same as the FlySky i6, but cheaper.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:39 PM
Alaa74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crius,
I think I am going to take your advice and start with the IUB2 with TGY-I6
but which one you recommend Basic or pro?
what wiring modifications need to be done for ASP? Can you make a video?
thanks
Old 10-27-2016, 09:39 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Alaa74
Crius,
I think I am going to take your advice and start with the IUB2 with TGY-I6
but which one you recommend Basic or pro?
what wiring modifications need to be done for ASP? Can you make a video?
thanks
I must admit that the IBU 2 has the easiest setup and for a begginer might be the best option, but once you see what other boards can do, and you can not do with the Ibu, then you might see that it was not the best option.

The only rewiring with the asp is the barrel elevation. To have it proportional you need to rewire it and use the supplied connectors. 2 minutes rewiring. That's all.

Regarding radios, you can use a 4ch radio for the asp, obviously you wont get all the options. I recommend you to buy an 8 channel radio.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:01 PM
borealis

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The gun stabilization for the IBU3, which is due coming soon will stabilize both barrel elevation and turret position, the latter through a 360° servo with a custom gear to speed up turret rotation to an acceptable level. The board will also hold connectors for two additional channels (in addition to the 8 channels connectors on the IBU3, for those 10+ channels transmitters).
It will be switchable on and off through the transmitter.

The IBU official site anyway is
http://www.ibu-electronics.com/
Old 10-28-2016, 04:03 AM
Alaa74

Rad
that's it! Only two wires? I can do this.
i might be new to RC tanks but not to RCs.
what about programming the ASP?
Thanks
Old 10-28-2016, 10:00 AM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

I feel your pain trying to decide which board to go with. For me, control of the tank's major movements is the most important. I turret elevation and traverse on one stick and both tracks mixed on the other stick. Everything else to me is secondary to that because if I can't drive the tank the way I want to then I'll probably never be proficient at. I just want my 1/16 scale tanks to operate the same way as my 1/6th scale tanks do right now. If I need 8 channels for that then so be it. I have no desire to shove 1000 functions on a 4-channel radio and use some voodoo combination of controls to get functions to work. I have modified my 1/6th radios with a push button to fire the main gun and I like it that way...
Old 10-28-2016, 11:23 AM
Rad_Schuhart

You dont need to program the Asp and you cant connect it to the computer. (well, you need to put the microSD card in the computer if you want to change the sounds, that's obvious)
But for activating all the functions you need to program your radio. That's why I recommended you the turnigy 9xr pro. For having all the options you need a 7 channel programable radio.
Take a closer look to the link I showed you on my first post.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:38 PM
Crius

I think Rad is right that you'll like the Asp (I love mine) but I still stick with my recommendation for the IBU2 base as a first hobby grade board. It's the easiest to install and get running and once you get your feet wet you'll have plenty of time and other tanks for more complex boards. I have an Imex metal hull Panzer III that is still stock and I already known it will be getting an IBU2 base and the i6 radio.

I'm still not sure where you are so it may be a bit more for shipping, but I advise you to contact Ian Judge at this link

http://www.rctankelectronics.com/sto...IBU2_Base.html

Ian is a great guy and avid RC Tanker and he has the Flysky i6 for a reasonable price and he'll set you up with a package that's completely plug and play, with whatever sound set you ask him for. This will be a complete package with the IBU2 base, the i6 and the receiver, all set and ready to install in your tank. You should be up and running within a half hour. Tell Ian that Gary in Detroit sent you and asks that he take extra good care of you. Mention that you're a new member at RCU as well. That's not Ian's home forum, but he does try to give that extra bit to any members of an RC Tank forum, whatever forum it may be. Ian just set up an IBU3 and a radio for my friend Terry, and when Terry had trouble with the programming Ian was right there every step of the way and stuck things out until Terry's tank was running as he wanted and he was well satisfied. I myself have purchased four IBU2s from Ian and I'll be buying more in the future. The postage from the UK to the US can be a bit pricey, but I think it's worth every penny for the service that Ian provides.

Go to his website and use the contact button to send him a message. Be sure to tell him I sent you and ask him what he can do for you on a package deal for the IBU2 base and the i6, and I'm sure you'll be surprised at the nice discount he'll give you. Then if you want to try an IBU3 you'll have a whole support system already in place with Ian.

In the end it's your money and you should spend it as you see fit, but you asked for recommendations and I truly believe that if you start with the IBU2 base and the i6 you'll be very happy, and will be much better prepared for a more complex system.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:30 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have to learn to walk before you run. Between radio programming, file manipulation, and wiring there is a real learning curve. Go slow, before you jump into the deep end is my advice. Anything too complex for a beginner will end up a frustrating experience and quite possibly end up in a drawer.

Vendor support is crucial for a beginner and should be your first concern.

Cheers

Dan
Old 10-28-2016, 09:56 PM
Alaa74

Gary,
I live in Denver, Colorado
I think everything you said make sense to me, must likely I will go with ibu2 as a start and will contact Ian for the board in the near future, I am moving these days and most of my stuff still in the boxes.
i appreciate your advice and thank you.
and thank you all
Old 10-29-2016, 06:12 AM
Crius

Originally Posted by YHR
You have to learn to walk before you run. Between radio programming, file manipulation, and wiring there is a real learning curve. Go slow, before you jump into the deep end is my advice. Anything too complex for a beginner will end up a frustrating experience and quite possibly end up in a drawer.

Vendor support is crucial for a beginner and should be your first concern.

Cheers

Dan

Well said. Excellent advice.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:22 AM
Crius

Gary,
I live in Denver, Colorado
I think everything you said make sense to me, must likely I will go with ibu2 as a start and will contact Ian for the board in the near future, I am moving these days and most of my stuff still in the boxes.
i appreciate your advice and thank you.
and thank you all
Hi, Alaa, I just noticed something interesting - when you first posted and hadn't yet added your location I didn't know where you were, but once you added your location to your profile, the site not only started using it, it backdated all your previous posts as well. I don't know why I like that, I guess I'm just easily amused.

Anyway, I just got an email from Ian and he has a new business email so you should contact him here

[email protected]

You've joined a really great community and a fascinating hobby so again, welcome aboard and it's good to have you here. I hope you'll soon be posting photos and videos of all your new tanks, may they be many and arrive often!
Old 10-29-2016, 05:00 PM
Crius

OK, Alaa, you asked for a video so this may be of interest. Way longer than my usual videos, but you might find some good info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hXHqhAcUbU&feature=youtu.be
Old 10-29-2016, 09:54 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Ok, this is my last post here, because no matter what I say, peopel usually does the opposite. And, again, I dont work for RCTA.

Alaa said he is not new with RC, so I dont think it will have any problem with the ASP. If he needs a radio, he could buy one from RCTanks australia, which will come with the ASP2 template, so he wont need to do anyting.

Now, compare the boards:
Technic support: Yes, I agree Ian is great,and the factory also has a great support..
Ibu can plan 3 custom sounds.(The PRO. The ibu base wont play any)
1 Machine gun
2 Starting motor sounds
Basic infra red fighting (Like the standard tamiya)
POOR airsoft support.(No matter what you do, the ibu 2 will never work good in airsoft)
Sound quality: mono, 22050 Hz, 8 bit
When I used upgraded motors, the board stalls and resets itself.

Technic Support: I said Ian is great, but Kevin is no worse. He always answers emails and even makes videos for us if needed.
ASP Plays more than 200 hundred sounds, which about 40 or so are sound banks. You can use this sounds to play whathever you want, tank commander voices, rev up engines, explosions, 3 hours music,your wife shouting to you, whathever you want.
3 Machine guns.
4 Sounds for the cannon.
4 Starting sounds
Deep infrared fighting. Yes, you can select piercing rounds, explosive ones, set how much virtual ammo you can carry and run out of it. Even you can register who shot you and things like that. Also there are more vehicles, you can set an ultra light with one life, or a coastal battery if needed.
Perfect airsoft support.
Sound quality: CD quality,stereo, 44.1k stereo or mono .wav files
Notice too that ASP2 drives better than the ASP1, and in my opinion, drives better than the IBU 2
No problem with upgraded motors.

And many more things.

So when people choses another board, just because you need to rewire 2 wires for the barrel elevation, its... Funny.

Said that, I think I wont say anymore about this in forums, because some people thinks that Im a rctanks australia when I am not.
And yeah, I had the IBU 2 Pro and I LOVED it. I played with it for a year and its a very nice upgrade even for tamiya tanks... But once I had one ASP2 inside my tanks, I sold it.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:53 PM
Alaa74

Gary,
thank you so much for the video.
people like you make this hobby great and fun.
I like your videos and this one is no different awesome and highly appreciate it.
from what I've seen through out youTube IBU2 is great board and ASP is even better.
most likely I will go with the IBU2 and FlySky, but ASP and the way it drives is just so smooth and I definitely gonna end up with buying it in the future since am planning to buy a MATO full metal without electronics and the ASP will be the guy for that tank.
by the way what do you think about MATO tanks?
thanks
Old 10-29-2016, 11:00 PM
Alaa74

Rad,
I appreciate you advice and recommendation, I thing everyone can tell that the ASP is better than the IBU2 and is in the level of IBU3.
I just love the way it drives and will end up buying it for a new tank.
thank you
Old 10-30-2016, 12:08 AM
Rad_Schuhart

You are welcome. Just one thing, asp is not in the level of ibu3. Its over it too, lol.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:53 AM
jmm6293-123

Hey Guys
That was some really good info and you probably solved my problem,my used tk 22 board and Dx6i combo was giving me fits despite the help i got here,i did get the turret traverse and chassis controls sorted out but i realy did not want to do the rewiring and soldering bi for the airsoftt...sorry guys,so i will be going with the IBU2 base and flysky I6,just emailed Ian at [email protected] and will go from there.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:19 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

I thought I'd mention this about now.. at JCSA I'm having a Prepare for Winter build_a_model Sale - all IBU products are 25% off!!

Grab them while they are available...apply the code RCUIBU25

Jerry

Last edited by Tanque; 10-30-2016 at 01:22 AM.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:52 AM
Alaa74

RAD,
IBU3 comes with a computer software to edit and customize all boards futures, that's only puts IBU3 on top of any other board in my opinion.
Also from what I've seen on YouTube IBU3 drives similar to ASP and does come with tons of new features.
Even with IBU2 you can easily modify the text file
there is no manual for ASP, how do you modify your ASP features? how easy is it.
regards
Old 10-30-2016, 10:49 AM
Rad_Schuhart

RAD,
IBU3 comes with a computer software to edit and customize all boards futures, that's only puts IBU3 on top of any other board in my opinion.
Also from what I've seen on YouTube IBU3 drives similar to ASP and does come with tons of new features.
Even with IBU2 you can easily modify the text file
there is no manual for ASP, how do you modify your ASP features? how easy is it.
regards

First, I really like the computer software for editing the features. Elmod boards also has it, and its pretty intuitive, but some people has problems or dont like it. Said that, with the ASP you just dont need any computer software. For replacing the sounds you just need to plug your micro SD card to the computer with an adapter (supplied). You only need to replace some files with another ones. Done. All the tank sounds (T34, Tiger 1 etc) comes already inside the board in diferent folders.

So just for being able to connect the board to the computer, for me is not enough to say one board is better than another one. Do you know for example that the IBU 3 has ONLY 16 mb of memory, and you can only play 4 custom sounds (only one more than the Ibu 2) BUT shorter in lengt? I mean, you can play a small tank commander voice or something similar because there is no room for more. With ASP there is virtually no limit. (Well, the only limit is how big your micro SD Cards are, but you always can buy a 500 GB one if you need it, lol.) So for me, the IBU 3 is a big step back and if I buy another ibu, would be the IBU 2 Pro. In fact, that's what stopped me from buying the IBU3.

So, if IBUS, Elmods, ASPS drives the same, what is the difference between one and others? Just what you can or what you can not do. ASP has tons of IR functions but for me the best part of the cake are the sounds. When I drive my tank playing the ride of the valkiries or another Wagner music, my smile is way bigger than just driving with the engine sound. And if it sounds like a home cinema like it sounds, its even better.

About the lack of manual, again, take a look here:
http://rctanksaustralia.com/guides/index.php?title=Asp2 There you can see how to trigger the diferent functions. For example: "Engine startup sound 1 (Ch5 + 100%)" Means you need to send a signal of +100 with the channel 5 of your radio. Thats why you need a programable radio like the turnigy 9xr pro (One of the radios that Crius showed you in his video) Its very easy to program and you can always download the template, so you dont need to program anything yourself. Also there is a forum http://www.rctanksaustralia.com/forum/ and a youtube channel where you can see Keving explaining everything. And again, if you dont understand something he can make a video for you like he did for me.

Sorry for the IBU guys, I REALLY apreciate your job, but I think the best one must be recognised.

Somedoby please tell Kevin to send me a Kangaroo postcard from Australia, lol.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:55 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Alaa, if you are in Denver, you should hook up with these guys. They can help you answer a lot of questions.

https://www.facebook.com/FRAG-RC-Tan...1386966251038/
Old 10-30-2016, 11:03 AM
Alaa74

Pah
I am already in contact with FRAG, Paul one of the group members very nice guy and so helpful
the battle area they created is simply awesome I went to the site and check it out myself.
I will Join the group for sure.
thank you
Old 10-30-2016, 11:26 AM
Alaa74

Rad
Sound is not the only thing that matters to me, I really admire ASP and will buy one in the future
but, with IBU3 you can not only control sound
- track recoil time and speed
- motor current
- super spin power
- reverse speed
- brake simulation .
- and more
the ability to customize your tank driving the way you like is the biggest advantage in the IBU
until Kevin adds customization, computer software and a manual IBU3 is more user friendly.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:41 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Rad
Sound is not the only thing that matters to me, I really admire ASP and will buy one in the future
but, with IBU3 you can not only control sound
- track recoil time and speed
- motor current
- super spin power
- reverse speed
- brake simulation .
- and more
the ability to customize your tank driving the way you like is the biggest advantage in the IBU
until Kevin adds customization, computer software and a manual IBU3 is more user friendly.
What if I tell you that you can configure all of that in seconds while running your tank with the ASP?
Well, you can. You just need to adjust it with the radio. I can make a video for you of how long it takes to set the track recoil, the motor current or the reverse speed. All together in about... 15 seconds?.

Yes, for example you can set a reverse speed of 30% of power and find that the tank cant go over high grass at that power. You can adjust it in less than 10 seconds to 40%, 50%,100% or whathever you want. For the God sake, you even can set how fast is the rate of fire of the machine guns! Faster like the german ones, or slower like the rest. And yes, it has brake simulation too.

Som where is the advantage in the Ibu now?

Last edited by Rad_Schuhart; 10-30-2016 at 11:43 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.