Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Question on Grease

Old 03-24-2018, 08:33 AM
  #1  
armshark
Thread Starter
 
armshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Singapore
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Grease

Good day all,

Any recommendations for greasing my tanks. Do I need to use different kind of greases for different components of the tank; gearbox grease, bearings grease etc. One more thing, I heard WD40 isnít a good substitute for grease, as it just displaces water. Is that true? Appreciate if you guys could share a little bit on this subject. Cheers.

Shark
Old 03-24-2018, 08:56 AM
  #2  
Fsttanks
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 631
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by armshark View Post
Good day all,

Any recommendations for greasing my tanks. Do I need to use different kind of greases for different components of the tank; gearbox grease, bearings grease etc. One more thing, I heard WD40 isnít a good substitute for grease, as it just displaces water. Is that true? Appreciate if you guys could share a little bit on this subject. Cheers.

Shark
I use Mobile 1 red synthetic wheel bearing grease in my gearboxes. They run butter smooth. I have also used 20/50 synthetic motor oil in my gearboxes. It too worked well but needs to be reapplied more often. The road axles shafts can be greased/oiled but you will collect more dirt on them. It is a win loose issues, it helps, but also increase the need for additional maintenance/cleaning depending on how much dust, dirt, mud and sand you run in.

Just my .02
Old 03-24-2018, 11:04 AM
  #3  
FreakyDude
 
FreakyDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: barrie, ON, CANADA
Posts: 1,059
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

why would you use any sticky oil type grease in the first place? All you are going to do is attract dust and sand particles that will wear your tolerances out and ruin your gearbox.
DRY graphite lubricant or equivalent is the only thing you should be using
Old 03-24-2018, 11:08 AM
  #4  
armshark
Thread Starter
 
armshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Singapore
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fsttanks
I use Mobile 1 red synthetic wheel bearing grease in my gearboxes. They run butter smooth. I have also used 20/50 synthetic motor oil in my gearboxes. It too worked well but needs to be reapplied more often. The road axles shafts can be greased/oiled but you will collect more dirt on them. It is a win loose issues, it helps, but also increase the need for additional maintenance/cleaning depending on how much dust, dirt, mud and sand you run in.

Just my .02
Thanks bud for the crystal clear explanation. As I type this I am waiting a shipment of Mobile 1 grease from AliExpress so that should be interesting in the days to come. You basically just wrote what were my concerns with greasing the components up; dirt and all that gunk in the components thereby increasing the need for more preventative maintenance.... which I am not a fan of. Oh well, gotta give and take in this hobby I guess. Hopeful that other members could chip in on this subject too. Cheers guys.

Shark
Old 03-24-2018, 11:14 AM
  #5  
armshark
Thread Starter
 
armshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Singapore
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FreakyDude
why would you use any sticky oil type grease in the first place? All you are going to do is attract dust and sand particles that will wear your tolerances out and ruin your gearbox.

DRY graphite lubricant or equivalent is the only thing you should be using
Thanks FreakyDude for the input. I think fsttanks is just trying to share his preference, and appreciate both of your inputs in this subject. However you do have a point that sand and also those good stuffs will ruin the components on the long run especially with a sticky oil type of grease in the tank. At the end of the day, I love my tanks to death and I donít want to ruin them unknowingly.

Shark
Old 03-25-2018, 12:45 AM
  #6  
Fsttanks
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 631
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Default

Wet beats dry any day of the week even when dirty. That has been proven time and time again in countless industry studies and tests. If you are worried that much about dirt or sand getting in your gears simply cover them. My tanks are driven exclusively in the desert South West region of the U.S. and not once have I gotten any sand in the gear boxes and I run my tanks harder and faster than most.

Sure you are going to get the “axles” to hold dust and dirt when greased/oiled but getting dirt or sand in the gearbox is far less likely and even more so if you cover the gears with something as simple as a piece of paper. Running the axels with dry lube is one thing, but the gearbox? Neither Heng Long or Tamiya do or recommend that.


Old 03-31-2018, 09:30 AM
  #7  
gp100
 
gp100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 143
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

I just use a little bit of black Moly Grease made for R/C..

I don't go overboard with it, but just enough to lubricate the metal gears here and there.. I believe it's better to have some lubricant on a gear, rather than run them dry..

Moly Grease stays where you put it for the most part, and doesn't splatter everywhere like an oil might.. And when you have sensitive electronics sitting that close to a gearbox, the last thing you need is oil getting on electronics.. Not a good idea.. Hence why I say grease is a far better option for a gear set..

Doesn't have to be Moly Grease.. Any grease that is plastic compatible is a good choice.. This way you lube the gears, but it won't damage any plastic parts in the tank if it does manage to get on anything else..

Even metal gears require some lubrication against wear from time to time..

Last edited by gp100; 03-31-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:44 AM
  #8  
armshark
Thread Starter
 
armshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Singapore
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gp100
I just use a little bit of black Moly Grease made for R/C..

I don't go overboard with it, but just enough to lubricate the metal gears here and there.. I believe it's better to have some lubricant on a gear, rather than run them dry..

Moly Grease stays where you put it for the most part, and doesn't splatter everywhere like an oil might.. And when you have sensitive electronics sitting that close to a gearbox, the last thing you need is oil getting on electronics.. Not a good idea.. Hence why I say grease is a far better option for a gear set..

Doesn't have to be Moly Grease.. Any grease that is plastic compatible is a good choice.. This way you lube the gears, but it won't damage any plastic parts in the tank if it does manage to get on anything else..

Even metal gears require some lubrication against wear from time to time..
Thanks for the reply gp100, it really helps because as an experience RC-er like yourself you would know that there is a whole plethora of greases out there. So many different kinds and purposes argh! Itís a little intimidating really and I could spend a day researching about greases itís crazy. Thanks again gp100! Cheers.

Shark
Old 04-01-2018, 01:52 AM
  #9  
gp100
 
gp100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 143
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by armshark View Post


Thanks for the reply gp100, it really helps because as an experience RC-er like yourself you would know that there is a whole plethora of greases out there. So many different kinds and purposes argh! Itís a little intimidating really and I could spend a day researching about greases itís crazy. Thanks again gp100! Cheers.

Shark
You are very welcome,

In the years I've designed and worked on electronics, I've seen it all.. And have seen first hand what even one drop of oil can do to an electronics board.. That's why I always tell people to use grease.. Much safer option all the way around. You invest a lot of money into this hobby. It only makes sense that you guys want to protect that investment the best way you can.

I'm glad I can be of help here on the board.. I'm always here to help where needed if I can..

Here's the grease I use on my tank and many other things. Same stuff as Moly Grease, just under a different name.. I buy 2 of them at a time because they are small tubes. But you don't need much anyway..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's another that's really good as well.. It'll stand up to wet, dry conditions. Heat and extreme cold. I use it as well in some of my RC Cars. Never had an issue. Great stuff.
https://www.amazon.com/Team-Losi-Gre...4B0NV3F29M0P0H

There are many great products out there that will do the job.. These two are just my go to grease. But you can no doubt find many other great options out there..

Enjoy!
Old 04-01-2018, 04:09 AM
  #10  
Crius
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Detroit Rock City
Posts: 3,922
Likes: 0
Received 150 Likes on 132 Posts
Default

I can't believe none of the old timers have chimed in on this. The standard for most guys that have been around a while is white lithium grease. I prefer Lubriplate, but CRC also makes a good white lithium. It sticks well, and starting out white you can gauge use by how dirty it gets. You'll also want some kind of shield to prevent spatter, but as you'll see in this video, that's no big deal at all. For bearings I use a drop of light sewing machine oil, or even good old 3in1 Oil.


There's also a method for breaking in gearboxes, some guys use it and some don't, but I'm one that does. I break in my GBs with 50 weight oil, then clean with mineral spirits before final greasing. I've had a couple where the gears where tight and I used a bit of lapping compound to run them in together and that works well, but you can't run that stuff in there for long and you have to thoroughly clean them with spirits to make sure and get all the lapping compound out. Now-a-days that's not really necessary, as gearboxes have advanced quite a bit in the last five years, so a lot of guys no longer bother with the break-in, but I still do it to every set of gearboxes. Those videos are also at my youtube channel.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:58 AM
  #11  
armshark
Thread Starter
 
armshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Singapore
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Crius
I can't believe none of the old timers have chimed in on this. The standard for most guys that have been around a while is white lithium grease. I prefer Lubriplate, but CRC also makes a good white lithium. It sticks well, and starting out white you can gauge use by how dirty it gets. You'll also want some kind of shield to prevent spatter, but as you'll see in this video, that's no big deal at all. For bearings I use a drop of light sewing machine oil, or even good old 3in1 Oil.

There's also a method for breaking in gearboxes, some guys use it and some don't, but I'm one that does. I break in my GBs with 50 weight oil, then clean with mineral spirits before final greasing. I've had a couple where the gears where tight and I used a bit of lapping compound to run them in together and that works well, but you can't run that stuff in there for long and you have to thoroughly clean them with spirits to make sure and get all the lapping compound out. Now-a-days that's not really necessary, as gearboxes have advanced quite a bit in the last five years, so a lot of guys no longer bother with the break-in, but I still do it to every set of gearboxes. Those videos are also at my youtube channel.

Hope that helps.

Iím just glad that the old-timer who finally chimed on this, is you Crius. You welcomed me on my first ďHi Iím new threadĒ and always am grateful whenever you appeared on the threads. With a knowledge base that seems unlimited, as a newbie and relatively new tanker, I thank you greatly for sharing with the younger and the less experienced ones, your knowledge.

Searching around the internet, yes, white lithium grease is the name of the game apparently with its potential numerous applications. But like you said in your post, youíre using 3 in 1 oil, sewing machine oil in your stuffs. Iíd never thought of that but one day, I definitely will give it a try. We live in a day and age where greases with fancy brand names are labelled ďRC GreaseĒ packaged and sold at a 200%-300% selling price, itís a little crazy to really filter out which ones work and which ones donít.

I hovered over the idea of a covered gearbox for a little while. Iím using Matoís Tiger Is and they can be handful to maintain and keep up running at times. I ultimately abandoned the idea of a cover gearbox and instead, use less grease to decrease the ďmessĒ it made down the road. Not having access to heavy duty machining equipment and all those gizmos I had to find another way to not ruin my tigers. My matos arenít exactly shelf queens and once mud, sand, grass, dirt meets grease... oh boy. Not pretty. But I have to say, your particular method of breaking in your motors and gearbox is interests me and thanks for linking your YouTube channel as well! Mighty fine bonus! Count me in as a regular viewer. Always a pleasure to see you and your responses on the threads Crius, especially one on my threads. Once again, thank you so much for the inputs on the relatively subjective part of RC; greasing! Cheers.

Shark
Old 04-01-2018, 12:45 PM
  #12  
Maccrage
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 432
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

One method for a gd cover is automobile sound proofing. I use Kilmat. I got 36sqft for $60. I'll probably never need to buy any again. Just cut it to fit over the gb. If you need access for maintenance, just tear it off and throw it away, then cut a new one. It's self adhesive, and in addition to keeping grease spray away, it deadens the noise of the gb.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:05 AM
  #13  
armshark
Thread Starter
 
armshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Singapore
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Maccrage
One method for a gd cover is automobile sound proofing. I use Kilmat. I got 36sqft for $60. I'll probably never need to buy any again. Just cut it to fit over the gb. If you need access for maintenance, just tear it off and throw it away, then cut a new one. It's self adhesive, and in addition to keeping grease spray away, it deadens the noise of the gb.
My eyes lit up reading your post because the way you described the application of the Kilmat is so much in line with my thinking of preventative maintenance. Thank you bud! I have to admit, after I finished reading your post, I immediately searched up Kilmat on Google and have decided to get myself some. Itís just so convenient and also easier, compared to a more semi ďpermanentĒ solution such as machined or fabricated gearboxes. I would also admit that my skill-level isnít so high compared to the few more experienced RC-ers around here. That is why Iím not so confident around the fabrication of custom components such as gearbox covers and what not. Thank you Maccrage for the input, appreciate it greatly man!

Shark
Old 04-02-2018, 04:42 AM
  #14  
Panther F
 
Panther F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Franklin, IN
Posts: 9,676
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

Well, application would determine what to use. If it's around 'plastics' it needs to be plastic safe. It it's for metal only, then it should not be exposed to the elements or dirt & sand.

I really don't think there is one answer... graphite is good, ceramic grease is alright but just depends on where it's needed.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:04 AM
  #15  
armshark
Thread Starter
 
armshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Singapore
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Panther F
Well, application would determine what to use. If it's around 'plastics' it needs to be plastic safe. It it's for metal only, then it should not be exposed to the elements or dirt & sand.

I really don't think there is one answer... graphite is good, ceramic grease is alright but just depends on where it's needed.
Thank you for the input Panther. You pointed out a rather important part of choosing grease that newcomers like me might miss out. Yes, I donít want to ruin my plastics, or metal, by using the wrong greases. Thatíd would be terrible. Thank you for pointing that out! Cheers man.

Shark
Old 04-07-2018, 05:52 PM
  #16  
Martellus
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: WV
Posts: 812
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

It doesn't seem to have been mentioned so I would take note that WD40 just dries out into a gummy substance, and then further into a varnishing layer eventually. This causes problems itself as well as people just add more WD, another layer gets added, parts get tighter, etc. I prefer to avoid using it on any sort of lubrication purpose period
Old 04-08-2018, 02:49 AM
  #17  
armshark
Thread Starter
 
armshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Singapore
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Martellus
It doesn't seem to have been mentioned so I would take note that WD40 just dries out into a gummy substance, and then further into a varnishing layer eventually. This causes problems itself as well as people just add more WD, another layer gets added, parts get tighter, etc. I prefer to avoid using it on any sort of lubrication purpose period
Aside from the fact that I knew WD40 isnít a lubricating agent, I didnít know it causes problems in the long run such as parts becoming tighter and it becomes a gummy-like substance. Wow. Thanks for pointing that little-known fact, the less experienced circles of RC-ers, that the ďWDĒ in WD40. I was one of them who initially thought that WD40 is a lubricating agent. At the end of the day, people like Martellus enables this forum to be a good educating platform for uninformed and new guys. Thank you man for pointing out in that crystal clear explanation.

Shark
Old 04-08-2018, 04:54 AM
  #18  
Crius
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Detroit Rock City
Posts: 3,922
Likes: 0
Received 150 Likes on 132 Posts
Default

I believe I read that the WD stands for "water displacement" and the first 39 tries to get a usable formula didn't cut the mustard. At any rate, it's something that should not be used in tanks.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:56 AM
  #19  
Panther F
 
Panther F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Franklin, IN
Posts: 9,676
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

Be careful how one uses the company name WD-40 because they DO have a variety of products that ARE lubricants. I always used it as a penetrating oil/water displacement spray to help lubricate rusted fasteners so they can be removed. NOT as a grease or oil on toys.

https://www.wd40.com/

Just search the Internet. Not all "RC-ers" use the correct tools or have the right information.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:02 AM
  #20  
Wozwasnt
 
Wozwasnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 1,409
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

I use this-
It's for bicycle chains before anyone asks.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.