Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Head scratcher

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 10:49 PM
ah64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head scratcher

As some of you know I am in the middle of scratch building a T-27 Tankette, On the tracks the Drive sprocket runs in the middle of the tracks with the "chain" in the middle. How would I be able to attach the TREAD across the chain. I was looking at some photos of some others but Just cain't seem to grasp how. Thanks Anthony.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:52 AM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Head scratcher

ah64:

By the way you say it, I assume you're going to attach track blocks to the outside of your 'chain' to make the track, right? In looking at pictures of the T-27, it seems to have that central single disk-sprocket, with dual guide horns on the inside surface. The only problem I see there is that with only one central attachment point, the track blocks will have a tendancy to rotate on that point. One way to solve that would be a strip thin fabric to either side of the main attachment point to prevent this.

If you could find a close batch in a separate-link tracked vehicle it migfht be easier, as most tracks have at least two connection points (usually either end) and often have central holes that could be used for the sprocket teeth.

Only other option I see is having matching links cast, and that is not a cheap option.

I guess it becomes a matter of how accurate you wish it to be vs how much you want to invest in its construction.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:23 AM
most haunted

Have a look on this site, it has some interesting ways of making tracks.
http://www.rctankcombat.com/articles/track-systems/

Les.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:34 PM
ah64

ORIGINAL: WhiteWolf McBride

ah64:

By the way you say it, I assume you're going to attach track blocks to the outside of your 'chain' to make the track, right? In looking at pictures of the T-27, it seems to have that central single disk-sprocket, with dual guide horns on the inside surface. The only problem I see there is that with only one central attachment point, the track blocks will have a tendancy to rotate on that point. One way to solve that would be a strip thin fabric to either side of the main attachment point to prevent this.

If you could find a close batch in a separate-link tracked vehicle it migfht be easier, as most tracks have at least two connection points (usually either end) and often have central holes that could be used for the sprocket teeth.

Only other option I see is having matching links cast, and that is not a cheap option.

I guess it becomes a matter of how accurate you wish it to be vs how much you want to invest in its construction.
Yeah I noticed that as well, On the 2D drawings they seem to have a very narrow track as wide as the drive sprocket its self. This would control the rolling effect or twisting of the tracks I would persume. The original track with of the full scale tank was around 8 inches. That is very narrow considering some tanks had a 20-22 inch width of track and them some.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:39 PM
ah64

Most haunted I appreciate the link, I have seen this site before. I was really interested on the track setup for the T-005, he used a friction setup for the drive sprocket. I think I might go on that as a test run. just so I can see how to make the track itself with out over effort the first time.