Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
 Panzer III Extensive Upgrade >

Panzer III Extensive Upgrade

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Panzer III Extensive Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 05:56 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Panzer III Extensive Upgrade

Can you measure the plug end and tell me the pin spacing, it will either be 2.5mm (0.1" or 2mm. I suspect its 2.5mm. To confirm, WITH THE BATTERIES REMOVED!, will the plug fit any of the TK-13RX# sockets?
Simon,

It looks as though the pin holes are 2mm apart, rather than 2.5mm. The emitter plug will not fit into the TK-13RX board and it is clearly smaller than a Hen Long plug, as well. Maybe you can tell something from these pictures. []

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40427.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	921634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97480.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	921635  
Old 04-04-2008, 06:02 PM

Thanks for the diagram, Pete! [sm=thumbs_up.gif] Yes, I certainly would have screwed it up and put the headlights into the original position. Frankly, all of the variations of these German tanks keep me befuddled....this one has this.....that one has that, but not in this location.

If you see any other errors that I'm likely to make, please let me know! [sm=49_49.gif] I enjoy this stuff, but I confess that I'm not that knowledgeable.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:07 PM

By the way, I do not intend to fit schurzen just because I don't know if I'm handy enough to fabricate them, but I like the idea. Maybe someone will start marketing the parts (with a set of detailed instructions), so I don't screw that up as well.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on the schurzen what we need is 971wright or armchair to do a plan layout and scan it [X(][X(]

Rob
Old 04-04-2008, 06:45 PM

.....or build us each one at a reasonable price.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:49 PM

I remembered seeing this a while back, when I ran across it:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DG

Maybe it will help. Not me, I don't think I will be able to do it, but I know that you can, Rob.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:52 PM

Ok, I need a 4 pak of Boddingtons, a plate of bangers and mash, and a panzer III
Old 04-05-2008, 02:38 AM

Hi guys you could use this drawing for the schurzen tis is the site http://www.the-blueprints.com/index....fw_iii_ausf_n/ its ausf n but the schurzen is the same as the ausf m just scale it up then measure ,the ariel stowage rack has to lifted if you are fitting schurzen it runs at an angle if you want more photos let me know.Have sent you P.M. about schurzen.

regards pete
Old 04-05-2008, 04:51 AM
Banned

only a 4 pack of boddies with all of us wanting schurzen you better get the kegs in

don't forget the onion gravy to go with the BnM mmmmmm gravy

Rob
Old 04-05-2008, 03:22 PM

Here is where I ended with this stupid, stupid storage box. [:'(] Those tiny hinges are a tension headache in the making and I never did get the shape of the box to fit the back of the turret as well as I would have liked. If I had paid attention to the lower part of the turret when making the plastic card back plate (rather than setting it aside), I would have realized that the shape of my plate was not quite right. But noooo. I thought the new box was incorrect and decided to Dremel it to the shape of my turret modification. [:@]

Oh well, at least it is done. Sure my fingernails are glued to my fingers. Sure there is a small gap on the hinge side of the new lid. Naturally, the turret and storage box are poorly mated....but I'm finished with it! Finally, I can stop cursing and allow my shoulders to ease back down and relax.

Name:	Gd93871.jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	922437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13560.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	922438  
Old 04-05-2008, 03:35 PM

My sincere apologies icecreamslick, I scanned the thread from the bottom up and mistook your pickys as the same as you posted last time! OK I agree it does look like 2 pin 2mm plug. I think I've got all the bits in the loft, If you want I'll knock a lead up, see if it fits OK in by cannon, if so forward it to you? The down side is the 3mm Leds aren't as powerful as 5mm ones. But I think that what you have got is a slightly older generation, so it may well all balance out. Provided the LED is close to the end of the barrel there should be no issue with how wide an angle it works over.

Yours Simon M.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:37 PM

It looks good, some days it seems like nothing will fit or work right, but then it all comes together in the end. Nice work.

Gary
Old 04-05-2008, 04:01 PM

Re HL Panzer lights. I'm still confused. I know it doesnt take much, Looking at 971wright (Peters) drawing of a Panzer III, it differs to the one in George Bradford's World War II AFV Plans German Early War Armored Fighting Vehicles published by [link=http://www.stackpolebooks.com]Stackpole Books[/link], page 61. This looks more like the HL. I'm happy to move my lights but I'd like to know whats else is different.

Yours Simon M.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:29 PM

Provided the LED is close to the end of the barrel there should be no issue with how wide an angle it works over.
Simon, it is fantastic that you would custom build this LED emitter for me (and I will gladly send money for your work), but there may be a problem. The barrel bore is the same diameter from end to end, but I think it is too narrow for even a 3mm LED. [] I would hate for you to go to all of that trouble and then it still not fit down the tube.

Take a look at these pictures and see what you think.

Name:	Tr51365.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	922506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48569.jpg
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	922507  
Old 04-05-2008, 04:45 PM

The 3mm can be reduced down, if required, I used to do this sort of thing when odd specials were required for my job in a prototype section. The 5mm were always a bit more of a pain, this is because the 3mm leds' legs are quite a bit closer. Re the barrel, I'm sure mine is identical to yours, So I'll try out on mine first.

Yours Simon M.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:54 PM

Pete,

I e-mailed Doug and placed an order for a set of schurzen. [sm=thumbs_up.gif] I was happy to find that he still sells them and is now going to make a set for my tank.

http://www.dougstigerparts.com/products.htm

You know, it was only about a month ago that I started kicking around the idea of installing Tamiya electronics into a Panzer III so I could have something different at the Texas Armor Association's battles. The next thing I know, I'm spending money left, right and center in order to upgrade it in every possible way. Well, I can't stop now. I will have to make it as realistic and tough as possible. With a metal barrel, metal side turret hatches, metal exhaust, metal cables, metal smoke dischargers, metal machine guns, metal gearboxes, metal schurzen, metal suspension, metal return roller mounts, metal road wheels, metal sprockets, metal idlers, metal track tensioners and metal tracks this thing is going to weigh a TON!
Old 04-05-2008, 04:59 PM

Simon, if you find a way to make an LED fit, just let me know what size. I'm sure that I can find one around here to solder onto my wire lead and you won't have to go to any extra trouble. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 04-05-2008, 06:22 PM

I installed the grill covers and the mailman brought me some more of the metal parts I've been waiting for. [sm=thumbs_up.gif] It looks like I will get to install the new tension adjusters, suspension, wheels, sprockets and idlers tonight. [8D]

Name:	Jh16183.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	922573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80412.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	922574  
Old 04-05-2008, 06:26 PM

HI iceceamslick glad to here doug is still making the schurzen problem solved looking good

regards pete
Old 04-05-2008, 11:14 PM

Did you get the antenna from blueslateman? It didn't show up on a search of his store.
Sorry,ksoc, I missed your question earlier.....but here is the answer! The seller's name is rimbalin:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Side-Antenna-for...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-06-2008, 02:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am planning to build my Panzer III fairly stock - original gearboxes, Darkith's DBC w/ TBU, Metal Sprocket and Idlers. I want to see how a basic HL with minimum upgrades holds up on the battlefield. Just because it's entry level, I don't want it to be boring

Thanks for the antenna info!
Old 04-06-2008, 05:32 AM

Hi There icecreamslick ok the schurzen is orderd there is a mod you will have to do to the ariel support it needs to be lifted and fitted at an angle see photo it may be better to do it when you are fitting the schurzen see photo its from dougs build just thought i would warn you before its to late . iam trying to think infront to warn you of work that needs doing early .you will need to fit a fan towing all this weight around will make the boards pop rx14 is the best board.thats all i can think of at the moment .

regards pete

Name:	Sq46071.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	923015  
Old 04-06-2008, 01:33 PM

there is a mod you will have to do to the ariel support it needs to be lifted and fitted at an angle see photo it may be better to do it when you are fitting the schurzen see photo its from dougs build just thought i would warn you before its to late . iam trying to think infront to warn you of work that needs doing early .you will need to fit a fan towing all this weight around will make the boards pop rx14 is the best board.
Thanks again, Pete. I appreciate the help and advice. [sm=thumbs_up.gif] I have seen that modification, I just have not decided how best to make it, yet. I thought about using screws (with sleeves to hide the threads), but the base of the support is square - not round. [] I'm going to see if I can find a good picture to ensure that I make the lifts with the right shape. The picture from Doug's build may very well be correct, but I want to be certain.

Even though the tank will be heavy, I shouldn't have to worry about a fan since my tank will operate with Tamiya electronics instead of the HL boards. [&:]

Right now, I have to find a new Panzer III turret because I screwed mine up trying to install the hinged metal hatch doors on the sides. I cut away too much material with a slip of the Dremel and trying to even it out opened the hole too much. [sm=rolleyes.gif] I tried to fix it with plastic card, but so far it looks like crap. I e-mailed Mato Toys to see if they have any non-functioning tanks that they would be willling to dismantle and sell as parts. Otherwise, I will have to find the cheapest Panzer III that I can and buy a whole tank just for the turret. [&o] I guess that is better than having to look at a glaring mistake all of the time. [sm=tired.gif]

Old 04-06-2008, 02:32 PM

Most weeks I've seen turrets on a certain online auction site, depends I suppose on your hurry?

Yours Simon M.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Banned

Icecream
E-mail/ask seller a question to Lou AKA Pugwash04 on Evil-bay
He might be able to help you out (I Know he's not long finished a stug Conv and may have a spare turret going)

Regards Rob

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.