Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

tracks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 08:12 PM
fire_boy92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tracks?

Whats everones opinion on building custom tracks? Is it worth the effort? Im in the process of building a tank but the track design seems like its going to be difficult. Iwant to build some tracks with bike chain as a basis and somehow mold rubber tracks to the unit making it a one piece track. The tracks will have to be strong enough to spin at high rates of speed, Iplan to drive each track with a brushess motor. I need some input here - Thanks ..... Chris

Old 05-21-2009, 08:58 PM
torpedochief

Default RE: tracks?

Hey Chris,

Hummm Ithink we need some more info on your project. Are you building a replica of a tank or is this a custom tank?

If you are going with a high speed, I don't think I would recommend any type of metal track link. This might be a tough nut to crack.

Don
Old 05-21-2009, 11:59 PM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

torpedochief:

Considering comments elsewhere, fire_boy92 is looking to make a Howe & Howe Technologies 'Ripsaw' UGV.

With that said, and his mention that the size is about 20" long, and using a brushless motor per track, I'd say rubber/vinyl track cleats molded onto bike chain might be too heavy, not to mention the chain itself being too unwieldy. Tamiya & HL-type track (the composite plastic ones) would probably come apart as well, even if it was cast with non-hollow hinge-pin points.

As I said elsewhere, the Making Traxguys tried it with Kyosho Blizzard components, but I haven't checked back to see what their results were. Their tracks hold up fairly well with brushless motors... and are fairly cheap... but don't look at all like Ripsaw's.

I'd look into a light metal-cast option... or have someone do it for you(track-makers canmake 'em for you ifprovidedwith a track master) I once enquired about metal cleat tracks for the Blizzard, but it wasn't economical (would have cost over $150 per track, and at 2 per Bliz, thats more than the initialvehicle)

WhiteWolf

Old 05-22-2009, 01:09 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

ORIGINAL: WhiteWolf McBride

tI once enquired about metal cleat tracks for the Blizzard, but it wasn't economical (would have cost over $150 per track, and at 2 per Bliz, thats more than the initial vehicle)

WhiteWolf
If you had found some one /company to make you one -off custom tracks for $300 for a set that's extremely reasonable. Doesn't matter what the original hull was worth it's the goal that has its own value.

Jerry

Old 05-22-2009, 05:51 AM
WhiteWolf McBride

For one-off, sure.

But that wasfor a run of 100 pair, 51 links per track, with no retention of ownership of the master-mold. I could have had thetracks machined from tempered aluminum for less (priced that too) but there wasn't enough interest either way.

But the thread is about fire_boy92's tracks, yes?
Old 05-23-2009, 03:35 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

ORIGINAL: WhiteWolf McBride

For one-off, sure.

But that was for a run of 100 pair, 51 links per track, with no retention of ownership of the master-mold. I could have had the tracks machined from tempered aluminum for less (priced that too) but there wasn't enough interest either way.

But the thread is about fire_boy92's tracks, yes?
Yes, it's about fire_boy92's tracks, the point being custom projects are often expensive. To have tracks designed and executed whatever the media is costly. 10,000+ links is nothing for a production run. Considering a project that includes dies, molds, stampings is not for the faint of heart nor those not well funded.

If one can make do with off the shelf parts great. For a one off project the more you can adapt the better. You are only limited by time, money and skills.

Roller chain comes in many pitches; don't be linited to bicycle chain or hampered by its size or weight as the basis for a track. Before the recent flurry of tank and tank part makers, tank modelers in Europe used biycyle chain to good effect for years. Pick up a copy of Ketten Fahrzeuge Modelle (ISBN 3-7905-0591-9 ) especially the 3rd edition to see what was done. The book is a tad dated now but still has good info, especially if you can read a bit of German.

If this project is going to be a high speed affair look for a linked poly track system using steel pins. The likelyhood of finding a track system that looks exactly like a miniature of the full size is slim. If high speed is a consideration a live track will be your only option, my opinion. I'd recommend something like Conrad Electroncs' poly track; looks similar to a Panther track in 1/10 scale. It's relatively lightweight, strong and can take a beating if need be. Last I checked( years ago) Conrad wasn't selling outside Europe but perhaps some one here from the Continent could assist if that system is appropriate.

Don't know if this link will work but try this:http://www.conrad-international.com/?article=215031 This item the link points to is just a section of track; you buy as much as you need. They also sell sprockets and road wheels. I believe these tracks was for another sort of snow plow model originally. Perhaps they do ship internationally again.

Jerry

Old 05-23-2009, 05:34 AM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Jerry,
Thanks for the link (no pun intended)! That company offers some of the parts I've been seeking for a couple projects I've got going.
Chuck
Old 05-23-2009, 10:35 AM
fire_boy92

Thanks guys, all this talk is helping me figure this stuff out. Icame across this link http://www.emerson-ept.com/eptroot/p...n/MseChain.htm

They might have something Ican work with.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I know a lot of people use treadmill tracks for the 1/6 scale size tanks, but it uses a friction type for means of propulsion, so I dont know how that would hold up for high speed. Tracks might just fly right off, but anyway here is a link to scratchbuilt tanks with a section on "tracks" http://www.rctankcombat.com/articles/track-systems/

Wade
Old 05-25-2009, 03:57 AM
WhiteWolf McBride

Sadly...

Conrad will NOTship to North America. I checked last fall, and unless you can get someone in Europe somewhere to place the order and then transship it, you're out of luck on that front. Shame too, they have lots of nice stuff, including that new 6x6 'Reely Kaiman' amphib that used to be the old 'Robbe Rodeo' amphib. It uses skidsteer and Tamiya Sand-Scorcher-like rear sand paddle tires (they have vids on YouTube). I got a Rodeo off eBay last year, but it needs a few parts, and now I'm scr&wed.

The 'kettenfahrzeug' that used those track links is seen every so often on German eBay, and one is up on US eBay now, mistakenly labelled as a Graupner Kyosho Blizzard. I saw one on German eBay with its original box, and it was called a 'Caddy',a 'geländekettenfahrzeug' or 'area tracked vehicle' (Bablefish) Note that it has NO suspension, and the foam 'tires' on the 'vintage' one are damaged but could be replaced with standard indoor racer foam ones. Still not worth $300 even if he's replaced the stock plastic gearing w/ metal, IMHO.

I agree with Reb here... you will probably get more track options from the 1/6 paintball guys at RC Tank Combat.

That ULTOP stuff at Emerson looks interesting... bet its not cheap though (http://www.emerson-ept.com/eptroot/p...duct_info.html)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40803.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	1205446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40803.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	1205447