Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Hetzer Road Wheels - inner face

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Hetzer Road Wheels - inner face

Old 06-05-2010, 12:33 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Hetzer Road Wheels - inner face

Hello all. I have a curiosity regarding Hetzer road wheels. I'm trying to work out the best way of making another set for my
current Hetzer project. Reason being I don't want to goof up the existing ones and on the other hand I want to make a better set.

My question is this: I believe the road wheels were pressed steel cups basically with the outboard side convex ( conic section),
with a tire retaining ring riveted( the later ones anyway) bolted ( early )/ partly welded to the outer side and the inner side open. I have good photos of the outside from a long past excursion to Jacques' place but I didn't think to take a photo underneath at the wheels to show they are open. I have one partial grainy photo that shows the wheel open inner side- I can just see the other side of the rivets/bolts but I's really like a better shot. If someone has such a photo I'd appreciate seeing it. In the old days I'd zip down to Jacques just to snap this but those days are sadly past. It is now difficult and far more rigid getting in and everything has a cost.
Alas my old friend Jacques is probably rolling in his grave for he was such a good supporter of information gathering....

In the end it probably won't really matter but I'd love to know for sure. I have to make a form for vulcanizing the tires and how
I make the rims will determine how I make the form....

Thanks in advance,

Jerry
Old 06-05-2010, 09:27 AM
guhei

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hetzer Road Wheels - inner face

Hi,
maybe you can use this one:

cu Gunnar
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78698.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	1448187  
Old 06-05-2010, 10:48 AM
kclank

nice, i never have seen that before
Old 06-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tanque

Hello all. I have a curiosity regarding Hetzer road wheels. I'm trying to work out the best way of making another set for my
current Hetzer project. Reason being I don't want to goof up the existing ones and on the other hand I want to make a better set.

My question is this: I believe the road wheels were pressed steel cups basically with the outboard side convex ( conic section),
with a tire retaining ring riveted( the later ones anyway) bolted ( early )/ partly welded to the outer side and the inner side open. I have good photos of the outside from a long past excursion to Jacques' place but I didn't think to take a photo underneath at the wheels to show they are open. I have one partial grainy photo that shows the wheel open inner side- I can just see the other side of the rivets/bolts but I's really like a better shot. If someone has such a photo I'd appreciate seeing it. In the old days I'd zip down to Jacques just to snap this but those days are sadly past. It is now difficult and far more rigid getting in and everything has a cost.
Alas my old friend Jacques is probably rolling in his grave for he was such a good supporter of information gathering....

In the end it probably won't really matter but I'd love to know for sure. I have to make a form for vulcanizing the tires and how
I make the rims will determine how I make the form....

Thanks in advance,

Jerry
Jerry These photos aren't very good, but they may help................scroll down to the third line of photos.

Better (bigger) photos

http://www.pzfahrer.net/autopsy.html

Attached Images   
Old 06-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Tanque

That's perfect you guys, just what I needed to confirm what I suspected. I have to confess I went by the website you
highlighted Rex but I blew right past that photo. Takes multiple sets of eyes to see the right information. Word to the wise:
never think I've seen something before; even if I've have there a chance that I've not really seen it...

Thanks Gunnar I've not seen that either or certainly don't recall it.

To all you Bay Area folks: I ran over to Alco Metals this morning to get some heavy walled aluminium tube to make parts of these wheels. During the checkout process I was told that their scrap / used- new metals section, that part that has supplied
material for just about every project of mine for the last 16 years, will be changing dramatically. Alco wants to move
away from new remnants and scrap and concentrate on big new stuff and big orders. So if you have any projects in the planning stages I'd stock up on the materials you need while you can still buy a foot of this or a foot of that... As it is they have a $30
minimum where it used to be $7.50... ah what sad times these are...

Jerry
Old 06-05-2010, 03:27 PM
uhu

Hi Jerry

This image comes from the G-13 in the Jacques Littlefield collection at Portola, hope it helps to clarify your question.
Best regards
Jose

Name:	Pn36464.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1448274  
Old 06-05-2010, 03:35 PM
uhu

Found another two images from the roadwheels "innards"
Regards

Name:	Om33265.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	1448281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75146.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	1448282  
Old 06-05-2010, 03:53 PM
four slot

Nice pictures. I wonder how hard it is to replicate the wear on the tracks because those pictures show that real clear.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Tanque

Aha these are great Jose! When were you at Jacques?

Jerry
Old 06-06-2010, 01:16 PM
uhu

Alas they're not pics I made, never went (still) to visit Jacques Littlefield magnificent collection, hope in a not too distant future me and some panzer-fan buddies could organize a visit....
I acquired them from some web walkaround, Hetzer is one of my favourites and always collect any info I find on it.
Best regards
Jose
Old 06-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Tanque

I have another question regarding the Hetzer road wheels. I've looked through the information( including Spielberger's light JagdPanzers book) I have and I cannot find a solid reference to

- the outer diameter of the wheel
- the thickness of the wheel at any section along the rubber part or of the metal rim that contacts the
rubber tire.

From what I see the tire is quite thick. There isn't a great deal of space beteen the tire and track link guide horns.

I'm planning on heeat vulcanizing the rubber tires and I'll provide a brief explanation when it is
complete. I passed this technique on to a fellow on the east coast many years ago; he's the only other person I've known to have used it. I've made quite a number of Panther and PzKw III tires with the technique. It isn't very difficult but the mold preparation takes longer than the actual tire making process.
One is limited to the type of tire made only by their ability to make the proper mold.

Any info or leads to it would be most appreciated!

Jerry