Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Truggy vs buggy

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 12:07 AM
YourDogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truggy vs buggy

Whats the difference between a truggy and buggy?what are the pros and cons of each?which is better for going fast and doing jumps?? Or should i look at a stadium truck??
Old 06-26-2008, 12:17 AM
95MoYj

Default RE: Truggy vs buggy

From what I can tell buggies seem to be more technical while truggies are a little more forgiving. I think both fly very well but your jump approach is going to have to be much better with a buggie than a truggie. As far as duribility I guess it all depends on motor size, skill, and quality of kit you buy. As far as going fast and doing jumps are u just bashing or racing because they both are compeatly different.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:26 AM
YourDogg

well i would have to say a little of both not monster truck bashing but i want a truck that will be able to hits jumps and be fast. i guess like the ones they race with.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:52 AM
qaiz

Alright, well I drive both competitively. And there is a massive differience between the two. Nothing can get around the track as quick as a buggy, BUT, nothing can get around a track as easily as a Truggy.!

I started off with Truggies when I got in to this hobby, and have started racing Buggies now. I perosnally find Buggies easier.

As for which can take more abuse, depends on what you do. Slam them both into a immovable object at WOT and they'll both break. All depends as stated above, on the quality of the Kit you buy, and the time and effort spent maintaing it....
Old 06-26-2008, 08:09 AM
rican25

Im with qaiz on this one.... started with Truggys and ended up liking my buggy better!!, I know he didnt say that but I do and I do find it easier to get around because its so sharp but I guess that lends to your style of driving...
Both will fly on and off the ground maybe buggies a bit further in the air because they weigh so much less. Truggys are probably a bit more durable tho.... just my opinion.
good luck on your choice and either way youll have fun!!
Old 06-26-2008, 09:17 AM
Logi3

Truggies are a bit more robust and imo seem to be tougher. I also race both and Buggies are the fast car around the track, unless you have a really bumpy track which is where a Truggy will shine as they normally have longer shocks, bigger wheels and more ground clearence.

You need to setup Buggies more so then Truggies i have found too. Plus, you can not drive the same way with both. Buggies have very sharp handling, can roll easy if you turn in to quick, but i must admit i find the buggy more fun as you need to concentrate more.

With the Truggy, i just run everywhere as you dont have to worry about the bumps so much.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:43 PM
Force4x4

We just had this debate a few days ago.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7632416/tm.htm
Old 06-26-2008, 08:02 PM
YourDogg

alright i read that thread and decided truggy cause i am knew to this.. BUT i dont know any of the brands or whats better so any suggestions on good brands or the moedls would be helpful.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:13 PM
YourDogg

i look at some through a hobbies store i can buy through so what about the Traxxas nitro rustler or jato 3.3 or DuraTrax 1/8 Raze ST Truggy w/.27. the losi 8ight is nice but too much $$$ for me.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:29 AM
Force4x4

The rustler and the jato are not truggies, they are stadium trucks. The Raze is a decent basher but not a racer. Whatever you buy make sure your LHS has good parts support for that brand and model.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:16 AM
YourDogg

well whats the difference with stadium trucks and can any1 sugest some models that i should look at? the raze you say isnt a racer why? is it not fast?
Old 06-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Snaut Rocket

Stadium trucks are usually 2 wd 1/10 and truggys are usually 4wd and 1/8.
If your looking for a good price for a truggy then here.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/17280
Your not going to beat that bang for a buck.
Best price around and hurry the stock is almost out
Old 06-27-2008, 06:31 PM
rican25

problem with the TTR ST1 is its discontinued.... parts are becoming harder to find or will be very soon, it is an awesome truck!! I have had the pleasure of breaking in and running 2 of them in my short time in this hobby and have nothing bad to say about them.... not one thing.
you could look at a Caster tho' thats what I run now and am absolutely loving the thing!!! handles better than the 2 truggys Ive run (Hyper ST and ST1) they Hyper turns a bit better but the brakes suck so thats why I think the Caster is a bit better handling overall, has to do it all for me!!! you can see the Caster K8T at holeshothobbies.com
Buggies are great too!! sharper handling, lighter, and just add wings and the things will FLY!!! I have a Sportwerks Turmoil Pro and not a bad thing to say about it either. good luck in your decision.....
Old 06-27-2008, 06:57 PM
DS

i called amian and they said there stocking parts for awhile, and plus there are other places to buy parts, anyway my parents bought me one for my b-day
Old 06-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Force4x4

ORIGINAL: YourDogg

well whats the difference with stadium trucks and can any1 sugest some models that i should look at? the raze you say isnt a racer why? is it not fast?
A truggy is a truck based off of a buggy, it has longer arms and beeffier suspension and bigger tires than a stadium truck, it also has a buggy wing on it.

The raze is not a racer because it needs too many upgrades to be a competitive racer such as radio and servos, engine, pipe, suspension, etc.

As far as suggestions it depends on how much you are willing to spend. The Kyosho ST-RR, Mugen MBX5T, Jammin X1 or X2 CRT, Xray, and the Lost 8ight-T are all excellent high end truggies. If you want something a little cheaper you can go with a Hyper ST , a LSP, or a TTR-ST1.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:14 PM
YourDogg

alright out of the LSP and hyper ST which would be better? do you know any retailers that carry these and ship to canada?
Old 07-03-2008, 07:18 AM
Force4x4

Go with the Hyper, the LSP is being discontinued.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/12363
Old 07-03-2008, 10:38 AM
YourDogg

ok hyper it is unless i can get some extra $$$ for the losi 8ight t cause that thing is sweet. do you know any good retailers that ship to canada? also the hyper st isnt much cheaper. is the jammin x1 crt good? cause its like the same price as the hyper st.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:36 AM
vnmsgt

If you were at all interested in the [link=http://www.holeshothobbies.com/servlet/the-4/Caster-Racing-K8T-Truggy/Detail]Caster K8T[/link] it is cheaper at $410 and I would be willing to ship to you in Canada.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:44 PM
YourDogg

yeah maybe. but what would be shipping costs?? is it good quality?? i dont know anything about this one so.. i have to research first.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Force4x4

If you were going for the kit I would say the Jammin but since you are going for the RTR get the Hyper. The Jammin RTR is a good truck but it is nothing compared to the kit. The Hyper is lighter and it's RTR is well built.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:44 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly I would not buy any offbrand products... the resale value sucks and the products are not the same quality... the Mugen MBX5T Prospec can now be bought for $525.00 from A-Main and it absolutely rocks...without question it is the best built, most durable Truggy on the market...... I have owned em all and nothing stands up like a Mugen does....

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/7384
Old 07-05-2008, 07:49 AM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: supertib

Honestly I would not buy any offbrand products... the resale value sucks and the products are not the same quality... the Mugen MBX5T Prospec can now be bought for $525.00 from A-Main and it absolutely rocks...without question it is the best built, most durable Truggy on the market...... I have owned em all and nothing stands up like a Mugen does....

I guarantee you the quality of the Caster KIT is just the same as a Mugen. You put both side by side and you cannot say a single thing better on a mugen except for captured hinge pins. Thats all. Plastic, aluminum is all the same quality.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:40 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: supertib

I guarantee you the quality of the Caster KIT is just the same as a Mugen. You put both side by side and you cannot say a single thing better on a mugen except for captured hinge pins. Thats all. Plastic, aluminum is all the same quality.

Plastic is most definitely not the same quality, neither is the aluminum..but thats why its priced cheaper..... The Castor is decent but its not the same quality as a Mugen.... I know several people who were forced to drop Castor due to all the breakage issues......2DLST knows more as he was running with several of Castors sponsored guys in Texas...but due to all the problems everyone jumped ship and dropped Castor.....locally my buddy bought a Castor and it is indeed a copy of a Mugen...but in looks only, there is a distinct difference in material quality and durability....

Trust me when I tell you paying $120.00 more for a Mugen is worth every penny, the Casotr looks like a Mugen but its definitely not a Mugen !...if you ever go to sell the Truggy used you will also see a Castor is not a Mugen...

Old 07-05-2008, 09:26 AM
vnmsgt

I understand about the resale because it is not a well known company yet but also the other guys were running the old version which the new KIT is alot different and built better. I did not know there were different grades of CNC 7075 aluminum which both the caster and mugen have. I thought that is why some aluminum is labeled 6061. I also think some of the guys in texas are blowing smoke because one of the main ones there who ran caster said he upgraded all his caster parts to mugen to make it reliable on the old kits BUT then in his last race he broke a bunch of stuff multiple times and decided to drop them. Well I guess if he had all mugen stuff on his truck to make it reliable and it still broke everything that race then the mugen stuff broke not the caster. I will run and have run my caster will mugens all day long and is just as durable and not a single problem since I have owned it that all the other guys said they had. Much different product now and it is clear to see in pics compared to old kits. Also out of all the Caster truggy Kits I have sold not a single complaint of ANY of the problems they so called had. NOT ONE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.