RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Truggy (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-truggy-399/)
-   -   Offical Mugen MBX5T thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-truggy-399/4368626-offical-mugen-mbx5t-thread.html)

Sonyb 04-17-2007 11:32 AM

RE: Offical Mugen MBX5T thread

Did you see my gallery one of my mbx is also convert from msr.....it cost me around $150 to convert but the msr in ebay for $650 no no....go get the standard....

Sonyb 04-17-2007 11:40 AM

No not really ......sometime no matter what you purchase if you are not lucky...its not gonna work.....If you modiffied axial engine
you will enjoy it more....but if you got money to burn I suggest the RB928 truggy.....this engine makes your car Scream!!!!!!

MBX5T Maniac 04-17-2007 12:03 PM

All I'm going to say is that the MSR and MBX5T share only a few parts, being the diff cups, the bulkheads, and a few other things. In order to convert a MSR to a MBX5T, you will be spending quite a sum of muney

celt 04-17-2007 07:30 PM

Hey Guys,

New to this thread/forum and just ordered an MBX5T-ProSpec and usually race an Xray XB8-TQ. Has anyone tried the GRP series tires for the truggy?

Do most of you start with the out of box setup? Diffs? Just want to get some research behind me so I'm ready to go when it gets here...

MBX5T Maniac 04-17-2007 10:24 PM

Most people like to start with the setup provided with the MBX5T. I have 5k 10k, 2k in the diffs.

Also, when you build the diffs, it says to put these little S3 o-rings in the diffs. Don't.

myrc 04-18-2007 12:28 AM

Actually it says in the book only to exclude the S3 rings in the rear diff.Make sure you mark your diffs such as R for rear C for center and F for front. I am sure if you race buggy that this is only common sense.

ORIGINAL: MBX5T Maniac

Most people like to start with the setup provided with the MBX5T. I have 5k 10k, 2k in the diffs.

Also, when you build the diffs, it says to put these little S3 o-rings in the diffs. Don't.

celt 04-18-2007 06:15 AM

ORIGINAL: myrc

Actually it says in the book only to exclude the S3 rings in the rear diff.Make sure you mark your diffs such as R for rear C for center and F for front. I am sure if you race buggy that this is only common sense.

Thanks, I might have missed that.

MBX5T Maniac 04-18-2007 06:59 AM

ORIGINAL: myrc

Correction: Don't use any of the S3 o-rings. I don't care what the manual says, but those o-rings shouldn't be put in.

I took this info straight from another site, b/c rcu won't let me link.

Here are some build tips for guys putting together a MBX5T (or buggy)

The biggest tip would be prepping the diff cups and double-gasketing them. Using like 3 different grit sandpapers (I use emery cloth) you want to sand the cups until they’re smooth as glass. I use 320 grit, then 800 grit and finally 1500 grit. Place the paper on a perfectly smooth table and hold the cup on the paper. Swirl it around in a figure 8 pattern. The idea is to get the cup perfectly smooth and flat. When you go up to 800 grit, you’ll quickly see the plastic get very shiny smooth. If you didn’t go long enough on the 320 grit, you’ll clearly see it. I then do a quick run with the 1500 grit and they’re dead straight. What this does is ensures the cup won’t leak against the ring gear or spur gear. Most people blame the leaky Mugen diffs on the o-rings, but 95% are at the cup (just take two cups and face them together and see the light in between them as you rotate them face to face). Remember, the cups are not machined, they're molded. Then double up the gaskets (Part # C0257). I use my screws 2mm longer than the manual and tighten up. They’ll NEVER leak from the cup (Tip comes from Chad Bradley).

I also have thicker 5mm (S5) o-rings for the out drives. These are tighter than the stockers. The real key is to use grease on them (the thicker S5 o-rings or the stock S5 o-rings) and in the slot on the outdrive shaft. Of course, do NOT use the small S3 o-rings.

I use the stock Mugen brake linkages so I put a slight z-bend in the upper rod to get it fit right. You won't be able to easily adjust the rear brake bias with the z-bend, but remove the small 2x10mm screw and twisting it is very easy. I usually get it set right and then adjust the front in or out. I know most guys love the Kyosho linkages. If you’ve had the Kyosho, you may like it and want to fit them on the Mugen. The Mugen uses fuel tubing where the Kyosho has those little springs. I’d like to change mine over to try the springs, but don’t have a Kyosho to see how it goes. Maybe someone else that switches can post pics.

The kit should also have shims to get the ring & pinion mesh set. They go outside the 8x16 bearings on each side and just add pressure to get the ring gear closer or further away from the pinion. They are 14mm x 16mm by .1mm thick. On the buggy, I always used two on the diff cup side to push the ring gear away from the pinion. But I've heard that the new 46/10T ring & pinion on the MBX5T doesn't need them. Regardless of what anyone else uses, always check the backlash on your car.

The rest of the car goes together like butter. New shocks are SWEET!

Best regards,

Tony P.

celt 04-19-2007 07:19 AM

It would seem that all the setups I see use maximum droop. How does it handle with all that weight transfer?

MBX5T Maniac 04-19-2007 07:26 PM

That's what the Swaybars are there for.

celt 04-20-2007 06:34 AM

That's what the Swaybars are there for.
Swaybars offer side-to-side resistance to body roll, not forward to back.

They do nothing to inhibit weight transfer front to back.

MBX5T Maniac 04-20-2007 07:14 AM

The swaybars actually limit the suspension downtravel, so when they are installed, you aren't getting maximum downtravel.

Excuse, I made a mistake, in combining body roll and weight transfer.

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking though. What do you want to know?

celt 04-20-2007 11:30 PM

The swaybars actually limit the suspension downtravel, so when they are installed, you aren't getting maximum downtravel.

Excuse, I made a mistake, in combining body roll and weight transfer.

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking though. What do you want to know?
Down travel (droop) can be adjusted to limit weight transfer with the droop screws on the inner portion of the arms. I know on vehicles this wide, with this much travel, they can get the "dives" with this much suspension. If you limit down travel, you can limit front to back weight transfer - a huge tuning option in on-road cars.

I guess what I'll do is try max travel just short of extending the shocks and see how it goes from there...

RcRacer37E 04-21-2007 06:20 PM

That fuel filter that you have on the pressure line, did you remove the filter in it? If not, I'd recommend it.
Fuel filters on the gas line, was thinking about getting a check vaulve for the pressure line though.
Getting ready for round one of the pro series next weekend, so much stuff and little time. Pretty much just checking things off the list and breaking in the mamba. Will be its first outing (mbx5t) and what better way to do it than at the pro series.

celt 04-23-2007 06:13 AM

I noticed when building the brake linkage, the rods at the servo end are mounted close together but at the brake cam end thay are forced apart. Do most just run them that way and they are fine or do you modifications for better fit? Or do you do what Tony P. suggests and replace it all with Kyosho parts.

revo7617 04-23-2007 11:03 AM

Guys, Im getting my MBX5T standard edition tommorrow, any suggestions on the build up proccess??

MBX5T Maniac 04-23-2007 08:49 PM

Here are some build tips for guys putting together a MBX5T (or buggy)

The biggest tip would be prepping the diff cups and double-gasketing them. Using like 3 different grit sandpapers (I use emery cloth) you want to sand the cups until they’re smooth as glass. I use 320 grit, then 800 grit and finally 1500 grit. Place the paper on a perfectly smooth table and hold the cup on the paper. Swirl it around in a figure 8 pattern. The idea is to get the cup perfectly smooth and flat. When you go up to 800 grit, you’ll quickly see the plastic get very shiny smooth. If you didn’t go long enough on the 320 grit, you’ll clearly see it. I then do a quick run with the 1500 grit and they’re dead straight. What this does is ensures the cup won’t leak against the ring gear or spur gear. Most people blame the leaky Mugen diffs on the o-rings, but 95% are at the cup (just take two cups and face them together and see the light in between them as you rotate them face to face). Remember, the cups are not machined, they're molded. Then double up the gaskets (Part # C0257). I use my screws 2mm longer than the manual and tighten up. They’ll NEVER leak from the cup (Tip comes from Chad Bradley).

I also have thicker 5mm (S5) o-rings for the out drives. These are tighter than the stockers. The real key is to use grease on them (the thicker S5 o-rings or the stock S5 o-rings) and in the slot on the outdrive shaft. Of course, do NOT use the small S3 o-rings.

I use the stock Mugen brake linkages so I put a slight z-bend in the upper rod to get it fit right. You won't be able to easily adjust the rear brake bias with the z-bend, but remove the small 2x10mm screw and twisting it is very easy. I usually get it set right and then adjust the front in or out. I know most guys love the Kyosho linkages. If you’ve had the Kyosho, you may like it and want to fit them on the Mugen. The Mugen uses fuel tubing where the Kyosho has those little springs. I’d like to change mine over to try the springs, but don’t have a Kyosho to see how it goes. Maybe someone else that switches can post pics.

The kit should also have shims to get the ring & pinion mesh set. They go outside the 8x16 bearings on each side and just add pressure to get the ring gear closer or further away from the pinion. They are 14mm x 16mm by .1mm thick. On the buggy, I always used two on the diff cup side to push the ring gear away from the pinion. But I've heard that the new 46/10T ring & pinion on the MBX5T doesn't need them. Regardless of what anyone else uses, always check the backlash on your car.

The rest of the car goes together like butter. New shocks are SWEET!

Best regards,

Tony P.

chrobar 04-23-2007 10:02 PM

Also, maybe this is for most truggies and buggies, the shock boots on the shocks can like suck up to the shock shaft when the shock decompresses. A quick fix that I saw some of the guys at the track do is make a hole in the shock boot so that air can move in and out of it.

Sonyb 04-24-2007 03:36 PM

I do got problems with diff leak.....can you show it visual on how you do it... pictures speake louder then words,...

MBX5T Maniac 04-24-2007 09:39 PM

Here's what you do:
First get some 320 grit, some 800 grit, and some 1500 grit sandpaper.
Next find a flat surface. Table should work well.
Now what you do is you start with the 320 grit first. You don't do this one for very long, as it is very rough and cuts the plastic down quick. Place the diff cups on the sandpaper, and swirl it on the sandpaper, which is laying flat on the table, in figure 8's. Next do the same thing with the 800 grit. Use this one longer, and it gets the major scratches out. Finally repeat this with the 1500. Make sure it is smooth. Repeat for all the diff cups. Then clean them out, to make sure the dust is out. Then build them

chrobar 04-24-2007 09:51 PM

sand them on the 1500 grit until they are shiny.

MBX5T Maniac 04-24-2007 10:17 PM

And smooth. And get two of the seals, that goes between the cup and the diff gear.

JSRacer 04-28-2007 03:31 PM

I'm interested in gettting a truggy. My first one, can't count the Muggy. :D I've been looking at the MBX5T standard kit. For another $150 I can't get the Prospec. I don't race. But I do mess around at the track. Would a guy like me notice anything between the 2 kits?

Also I have 2 JR 650 servos. Would these get me by for a while if I used 1 for steering and 1 for throttle/brake?

MBX5T Maniac 04-28-2007 05:35 PM

You might notice the shock towers are thinner, and bend easier, and that the rear hubs might break, but other than that, no.

JSRacer 04-28-2007 05:50 PM

I was thinking about the CEN Matrix TR. The Mugen is a much better choice? :D