Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF FW190 GIANT ARF

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF FW190 GIANT ARF

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 07:47 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Gag Jr.
Thanks for clearing that up with the use of the gyro. I have never used one but it did not make sense to me why you would have to wait until you were lined up with the centerline to turn the gyro on. I think mixing it with the landing gear is a good option. On with the gear down and off with the gear up. I did not understand the need to turn it on once you were lined up with the centerline. Isn't a gyro just meant to add stability and not lock the plane on a certain heading?
I agree on having it clarified; I have been doing it wrong all this time, although when I had it on AVCS and lined up straight, the plane took off straight as an arrow down the runway with no rudder input at all, the best take offs I ever saw; but many take offs had to be aborted because I had made the mistake thinking the Gyro was acting wierd and was malfunctioning, when in fact it was doing exactly what it was meant to do in AVCS, but I didn't have the plane lined up straight and the plane tracked down the line that I had it aimed for, a few degrees going left or right off center would be enough to mess up the take off, and adding any rudder to correct just made it worse, next time at the field I'm going try Normal Mode.

When its on Normal Mode can you leave the Gyro on once in the air; my concern always has been that I needed to turn the Gyro off as soon as the plane was in the air and before you made the first turn; but you know what it's like on take offs, a lot going on, Throttle and Elevator management, pulling the gear up, etc, if the Gyro in Normal Mode can be left on until things settle down would be a relief.

Thanks.

Last edited by dasintex; 03-05-2014 at 03:21 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:49 AM
rcfrey
My Feedback: (4)

I'm a little confused. I use gyros in my helicopters and the operation should be the same. AVCS is a heading lock mode, Normal is a rate dampening mode. So when the gyro is in AVCS mode, the last commanded heading will be held by the gyro. But, the pilot still has complete control of the tail. If you make a rudder input the gyro senses that you are giving a command and allows the servo to move, then when you center the controls the gyro locks the new heading. When you fly a heli in AVCS (which is the preferred method) you absolutely have to fly the rudder at all times. I
In normal (Rate) mode the gyro will compensate for un-commanded aircraft movements but will not correct to the original heading. Either way you still have full control of the rudder.
I just purchased the Futaba rudder gyro and look forward to experimenting.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:34 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Normal aircraft flight doesn't involve a stationary hover. Heading lock gyros assist in keeping the tail locked in one position. That could be disastrous for an aircraft that is in flight. Different gyros for different purposes. I have used a standard gyro in several of my warbirds on the rudder, but never the heading lock type.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:55 AM
dasintex

Originally Posted by Lifer
Normal aircraft flight doesn't involve a stationary hover. Heading lock gyros assist in keeping the tail locked in one position. That could be disastrous for an aircraft that is in flight. Different gyros for different purposes. I have used a standard gyro in several of my warbirds on the rudder, but never the heading lock type.
This is making a lot more sense to me now; I can see AVCS on Helis, once you change the heading with Rudder input you let go of the Rudder or return the stick to neutral and AVCS will hold the Rudder or tail on that new direction or Heading, on a Plane, we don't generally bounce the Rudder Stick over to re set the direction and let go, the Plane is running down the Runway picking up speed, not a lot of time for direction change and returning the stick to neutral before the plane starts to get out of control because stuff is happening too quickly, I hope I have this right, at least thats what makes sense anyways.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:16 AM
rcfrey
My Feedback: (4)

Rudder control on a heli is much more difficult for the pilot due to the torque effect of the rotor system. The AVCS gyro eliminates the pilot input required to compensate for that torque effect. Even in fast forward flight, it allows the helicopter to track like a pattern plane. And with more demanding maneuvers like backward or side-ward flight AVCS is unbelievably effective. On a fixed wing airplane I don't think that level of holding power is needed. In Normal mode, if the aircraft tries to veer off course the gyro should be able to compensate adequately.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:30 AM
Lifer

Aircraft have horizontal and vertical stabilizers, and movable control surfaces attached to them. All are activated when air begins moving by them. Helicopters don't have these, per se.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:13 PM
dasintex

Originally Posted by rcfrey
Rudder control on a heli is much more difficult for the pilot due to the torque effect of the rotor system. The AVCS gyro eliminates the pilot input required to compensate for that torque effect. Even in fast forward flight, it allows the helicopter to track like a pattern plane. And with more demanding maneuvers like backward or side-ward flight AVCS is unbelievably effective. On a fixed wing airplane I don't think that level of holding power is needed. In Normal mode, if the aircraft tries to veer off course the gyro should be able to compensate adequately.
Yup, I definately had it wrong all these years using AVCS instead of Normal, it will certainly explain a lot of my Takeoffs that I had to abort that could have resulted in a crash destroying some decent Warbirds, can't wait to try Normal Mode out now, I was all set to replace my older Futaba GYA350 Gyros that I have been using for the newer GYA430, thinking the older ones were the culprit.

Thanks guys for adding to the Gyro discussion setting me straight and maybe others as well!

Last edited by dasintex; 03-05-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:54 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for all the gyro help. Now I just have to decide between the Futaba GYA430 or the JR G370A.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:15 PM
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Gyro ? We don't need no stinking gyro...
Old 03-05-2014, 08:19 PM
n8622t

http://youtu.be/SGie9XRb-Nw
Old 03-06-2014, 04:06 AM
BJ64

Originally Posted by n8622t
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lj056ao6GE

BJ
Old 03-06-2014, 04:40 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought those 2 sticks were what were used fly the airplane.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:40 AM
tfarmer96

I have yet to put a Gyro in anything I fly, however that doesn't make it wrong. I haven't seen any bad ground handling takeoff or landing on this bird and I consider myself a mediocre pilot at best.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:47 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Gyro? I thought it was a sandwich....
Old 03-06-2014, 01:31 PM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
I thought those 2 sticks were what were used fly the airplane.
+1.

A gyro would take away all the fun. And on this one??? It is easy to steer on takeoff. Incredible stable.

Easy to land as well. I am everything except a good pilot. But look how good the TF 190 makes me look, at 6:58 here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFXO3R6R0S8

Courtesy of Top Flite Fw-190.

Last edited by kwik; 03-06-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:53 PM
Lifer

Of all my planes, 2 have gyros. I like trying/buying new gadgets, that's part of the fun. If someone wants to use a rudder gyro, what's it to you? I have seen many pilots of lesser experience that cannot avoid a left-hand turn on every takeoff. That can be dangerous! I have suggested gyros to several of them and most appreciated the help.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:57 PM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by Lifer
Of all my planes, 2 have gyros. I like trying/buying new gadgets, that's part of the fun. If someone wants to use a rudder gyro, what's it to you? I have seen many pilots of lesser experience that cannot avoid a left-hand turn on every takeoff. That can be dangerous! I have suggested gyros to several of them and most appreciated the help.
My "trainer" was a Sr Telemaster (tail dragger) W/a Saito FA150 on the nose. The 1st so called "istructor" that a flew it was used to 40 size 2-strokes. He blasted about 1/4 throttle to it, it rolled about 6 feet & went nose up as it leaped into the air. The startled "instructor" got his wits about himself in time to gave it more throttle & climbed out of trouble vertically.

I found a new instructor.

I never had much trouble W/tail dragger take offs. All you need to do is let the aircraft gain a little speed W/moderate throttle, let the tail come up & the apply throttle smoothly.

Far too many pilots learn on tricycle gear & never do get used to taildraggers.

As for me, I have never flown a tricycle.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 03-06-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:47 PM
WI53072

Originally Posted by kwik
+1.

A gyro would take away all the fun. And on this one??? It is easy to steer on takeoff. Incredible stable.

Easy to land as well. I am everything except a good pilot. But look how good the TF 190 makes me look, at 6:58 here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFXO3R6R0S8

Courtesy of Top Flite Fw-190.
i think one of the more stable and pilot friendly war birds in terms of ground handling IMHO

paul
Old 03-06-2014, 10:18 PM
n8622t

Originally Posted by tfarmer96
I have yet to put a Gyro in anything I fly, however that doesn't make it wrong. I haven't seen any bad ground handling takeoff or landing on this bird and I consider myself a mediocre pilot at best.
Hey tfarmer don't short change yourself....yer a great mediocre pilot And yer my gyro , I mean hero

Last edited by n8622t; 03-06-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:50 AM
steph69

Gyros are awesome............

has anybody had experience ordering from Sierra, cause there web page is weird there is no way to order what you want, I realise they don't keep a lot of stock. And some of there products are made to order.

But how do you order and pay them for what you want I have sent them an email about the 1/4.5 scale rear retracts but I have not had a reply yet seems a bit strange...... Any ideas...

Last edited by steph69; 03-07-2014 at 12:17 PM. Reason: None
Old 03-07-2014, 02:53 PM
BJ64

Maybe they are a bit like Robart, in that certain lines/items can only be bought through dealers and not direct from the manufacturer?

I'm finding the same hassle trying to get some Robart retracts for mine. When I locate the ones I want on their site, it says "To order please contact Great Planes or your local Hobby Dealer.", but I can't find a local (Australian) Great Planes dealership...

BJ
Old 03-08-2014, 02:25 PM
steph69

I can get the robart retracts from tower but as I stay in the uk its a pain having to pay the added shipping and then customs duty in the uk but what I want is the rear retract from sierra but trying to get some kind of answer from sierra is a night mare I have heard some people wait months for there retracts so I think I am just going to have to settle for the robarts..

anyways........

one off my mates has had enough of crashing his expensive planes and is know selling up I have managed to get my self some bargains something I managed to get was a whole load of hitec 5645 servos and a programmer, and I was thinking of using them in this plane does any one use these and are they any good hitec hs-5645 mg......

Last edited by steph69; 03-08-2014 at 02:28 PM. Reason: none
Old 03-08-2014, 02:40 PM
SU-31 flyer

The 5645 are very good for this plane. They are 143 oz tork .23 sec @ 4.8 volt and 168 oz tork .18 sec @ 6 volt. More than enought but more is better as they say.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:25 PM
steph69

Well that's awesome cause that's me got everything I need except the retracts I am goin with robart pneumatic main and hopefully Sierra rear if I can get an answer from Darrel at Sierra if not robart air all round. I am going to add a couple small touches to make it stand out from the crowd but I think I will get it ready for its maiden first before I do anything major.

Last edited by steph69; 03-08-2014 at 06:27 PM. Reason: None
Old 03-09-2014, 09:46 AM
dasintex

Default Scale fw 190 wheels

I'm trying to dress up a pair of Williams Bros Wheels to be more Scale in appearance. Did the real FW 190 Wheels have bolts like the ones pictured here, going around the outer edge or rim of the Wheels on both sides, Inner and outer sides?

I guess the bolts were either Tire Bead Lockers or held the wheel halves together?

What I'm planning to do, is screw in #2 Button Head screws around the wheel to simulate the bolts, just don't know if I need to do both sides of each wheel.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheels.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1976394  

Last edited by dasintex; 03-09-2014 at 09:49 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.