Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF FW190 GIANT ARF

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF FW190 GIANT ARF

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 08:37 PM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The FS FW-190 has 5 degree wing dihedral; has anyone measured the wing dihedral for this TF FW-190? Looking at the video in post #3408 above, the wing dihedral loooks to be 2 or 3 degree only?

Roger
Old 11-18-2014, 07:50 AM
Duplicator41
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost none of the Top Flite warbird kits or ARF's have the correct full size A/C wing dihedral. A long time ago at a trade show, I asked TF "why not", the answer back was that "they fly better as designed" and they are intended for stand off scale.

Cheers,
Old 11-18-2014, 08:11 AM
ForcesR

Originally Posted by Duplicator41
Almost none of the Top Flite warbird kits or ARF's have the correct full size A/C wing dihedral. A long time ago at a trade show, I asked TF "why not", the answer back was that "they fly better as designed" and they are intended for stand off scale.

Cheers,
The TF rep was full of crap, dihedral adds to aircraft stability. Although if to much dihedral is given to a wing then aircraft stability is lost. If TF would have given the FW-190 the same 5 degree dihedral as the FS, the TF FW would be more stable and fly better than it now does. When I receive my TF FW-190, that will be the first thing I do, give the wing the correct 5 degree dihedral.

Roger
Old 11-18-2014, 08:43 AM
Duplicator41

I totally agree with you. At the time I got the answer, it was just not worth debating the point since they were not going to change their kits. Instead I just build from Brian Taylor, Jerry Bates and Dave Platt plans. I have no argument with TF, lots of people fly their planes and love them. Even if the dihedral looks a little wonky and the landing gear is incorrect.
Since you are changing the dihedral on your FW, consider using Sierra retracts so that your gear angle will look right as well.

Cheers,

Andy
Old 11-18-2014, 09:31 AM
ForcesR

Originally Posted by Duplicator41
I totally agree with you. At the time I got the answer, it was just not worth debating the point since they were not going to change their kits. Instead I just build from Brian Taylor, Jerry Bates and Dave Platt plans. I have no argument with TF, lots of people fly their planes and love them. Even if the dihedral looks a little wonky and the landing gear is incorrect.
Since you are changing the dihedral on your FW, consider using Sierra retracts so that your gear angle will look right as well.

Cheers,

Andy
Andy, I also like TF aircraft, every TF kit I've built I changed the wing dihedral to what the FS aircraft wing had for dihedral. The FW-190 will be my first TF ARF and I just got to change the wing dihedral or I will not be able to sleep peacefully at night. Yes I will consider the Sierra retracts.

Roger

Last edited by ForcesR; 11-18-2014 at 11:30 AM. Reason: spellin correction
Old 11-18-2014, 11:15 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For whatever reason the TF ARFs do fly well.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:21 PM
ForcesR

Yahoo; received my TF FW-190 ARF this evening. Checked the wing dihedral and confirmed it is only 2 degrees. I'll change that to the correct dihedral of 5 degrees when I begin assembly.

Roger
Old 11-18-2014, 07:49 PM
Duplicator41

Originally Posted by SWORDSN
For whatever reason the TF ARFs do fly well.
Yes they do, and as stand off scale models, they are pretty good. For all that are happy flying them and enjoying them for what they are, it's nice to have a company that provides them for us. I admit to building a couple of TF warbird kits and flying the heck out of them.

Cheers,
Old 11-19-2014, 04:10 AM
Loco3D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried my Robart electrics the other day and all seem to work fine except one of the mains...the actuator doesnt work properly when fitted in the retract as it seems that it stops due to some forces which seem to stop the actuator.
When pushing slightly the pin to help the retract it goes fine but obviously this is not an option and need to come up with a solution!
Has anybody had any problems with the electric retracts glitching ?

I will run a separate battery to give plenty of volts ( 7.4v 2s ) in case the actuator needs it.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:15 AM
Reverend
My Feedback: (3)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BJ64
Say Rev - you might be the bloke to ask.

Off-topic for this thread, but I'm trying to get some info re a prop extension shaft so I can set my Saito 180 further back in a CMP BF 109 to avoid having to hack the cowl too much.

If you or anyone else has any recommendations, would it be possible to PM me (so I don't clutter up this thread with O/T babble) ?

BJ

PS - the FG sounds BOSS man!
Hi BJ,

thanks, I really love the sound too!

Sorry, I overlooked the Extension question. I would als justengines.co.uk. They do one offs like this all the time. Just contact andrew for a quote.

rev
Old 11-19-2014, 08:14 AM
slembones

Originally Posted by Loco3D
I tried my Robart electrics the other day and all seem to work fine except one of the mains...the actuator doesnt work properly when fitted in the retract as it seems that it stops due to some forces which seem to stop the actuator.
When pushing slightly the pin to help the retract it goes fine but obviously this is not an option and need to come up with a solution!
Has anybody had any problems with the electric retracts glitching ?

I will run a separate battery to give plenty of volts ( 7.4v 2s ) in case the actuator needs it.
the pins on the trunion can bend easily on bad landings. particularly if the wheels are toe in at all. (toe them out one degree) On occasion I have to disassemble the retract and correct the angle of the pin that slides inside the plastic block. it's quite easy. leave the strut on the trunion and remove it from the retract. you will have to remove every screw. next use a cresent or adjustable wrench that is about the same length of the strut. size it for the pin to be corrected which is the pin closest to the strut. set the trunion down on a table or against any secure surface ( i use my leg!) and simply bend the pin back by putting opposite pressure between the strut and the wrench. youll feel it move slightly. next eye the alignment with the other pin and keep working it until you get it right. reassemble the retract and that should clear it up. i've had my electrics for 2 years and they work quite well. the trunion pins could be tougher but then I'd just be fixing the wing all the time. this method works on the pnuematics too

Last edited by slembones; 11-19-2014 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:13 PM
sparky4lawndart
My Feedback: (10)

Originally Posted by slembones
the pins on the trunion can bend easily on bad landings. particularly if the wheels are toe in at all. (toe them out one degree) On occasion I have to disassemble the retract and correct the angle of the pin that slides inside the plastic block. it's quite easy. leave the strut on the trunion and remove it from the retract. you will have to remove every screw. next use a cresent or adjustable wrench that is about the same length of the strut. size it for the pin to be corrected which is the pin closest to the strut. set the trunion down on a table or against any secure surface ( i use my leg!) and simply bend the pin back by putting opposite pressure between the strut and the wrench. youll feel it move slightly. next eye the alignment with the other pin and keep working it until you get it right. reassemble the retract and that should clear it up. i've had my electrics for 2 years and they work quite well. the trunion pins could be tougher but then I'd just be fixing the wing all the time. this method works on the pnuematics too
This is exactly the method I use but just make sure that the pins force the blocks tightly against the jack screw bearing.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:14 AM
BJ64

Tried the JustEngines site, Rev, but couldn't find any prop extension shafts....

BJ
Old 11-22-2014, 04:42 AM
BearBow

Been absent for a while due to other projects. Have run a couple 5 min tanks thru the 84 while taxiing and getting throws set up. No maiden yet due to Wx. Will add some pix with final graphics work. Its incredible. The pull from the 23x12x3 is simply monstrous.

I got the Hobbypax wing tote bag. But Not impressed. Fit is loose. In fact I'll sell it for $60 plus postage. Its brand new.
I went with a custom fitted wing bag from Revoc. WOW. Its a perfect fit and comes in many colors. I got dark Grey. Arrived in 2 weeks from Europe. Not cheap, but a bag actually worth it. You can add D-ring hooks for free to hang on the wall. http://www.revoc.eu

Last edited by BearBow; 11-22-2014 at 04:56 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:45 AM
mirored

Originally Posted by BearBow
Been absent for a while due to other projects. Have run a couple 5 min tanks thru the 84 while taxiing and getting throws set up. No maiden yet due to Wx. Will add some pix with final graphics work. Its incredible.
I got the Hobbypax wing tote bag. But Not impressed. Fit is loose. In fact I'll sell it for $50 plus postage. Its brand new.
I went with a custom fitted wing bag from Revox. WOW. Its a perfect fit and comes in many colors. I got dark Grey. Arrived in 2 weeks from Europe. Not cheap, but a bag actually worth it. You can add D-ring hooks for free to hang on the wall.
I can hardly wait to see the pictures, plane and bags both.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:50 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Originally Posted by BearBow
I got the Hobbypax wing tote bag. But Not impressed. Fit is loose. In fact I'll sell it for $60 plus postage. Its brand new.
I went with a custom fitted wing bag from Revoc. WOW. Its a perfect fit and comes in many colors. I got dark Grey. Arrived in 2 weeks from Europe. Not cheap, but a bag actually worth it. You can add D-ring hooks for free to hang on the wall. http://www.revoc.eu
Sorry about the Hobby Pak Wing Bags, I may have been the one that suggested them to you in a post on this thread. I have one that I use, and you are right, it can easily double for a sleeping bag, I have several Top Flite GS Warbirds, and the Hobby Pak Bag is universal so it will work on any of my models, I don't use the Bag to store the Wings, I have a nice Rack in the Garage for that, but needed a bag to transport the wings to the field and it hangs on the sidewall of my trailer without getting them messed up, and the Hobby Pak Bag does the trick, but I will say, those Bags from Revoc are sweet and yes pricey, but when you spend a couple grand on a decent plane it's worth it to protect things, I may get the FW bag, and see if my Zero wing will fit in it as well, I doubt if the P-40 would fit in any of them other than my Hobby Pak bag, thanks for posting!

Last edited by dasintex; 11-22-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:16 AM
ptdan

Hi guys
What cool scale wheel set would you recommend for this bird???
regards Dan
Old 11-23-2014, 07:46 AM
mirored

Originally Posted by ptdan
Hi guys
What cool scale wheel set would you recommend for this bird???
regards Dan
Sierra landing gear with their wheels. You need to modify the mounts and doors some, but well worth it in my opinion.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:02 AM
WWIIP38
My Feedback: (43)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

X2 for Sierra
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SIERRA GERMAN 5.25 WHEELS.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	2049516  
Old 11-23-2014, 10:38 AM
ptdan

I was Looking on sierra wheels, they are cool!!! But what are the price????
regards Dan
Old 11-23-2014, 02:20 PM
AV8ATOR
My Feedback: (5)

ptdan, $140 x3
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0732.JPG
Views:	491
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	2049616  
Old 11-23-2014, 04:24 PM
JAYNC
My Feedback: (7)

My friend is having issues with his computer tonight so I will post for him. He is wondering what kind of work was needed to get sierra retracts into this plane. Anyone have pictures of them installed. Thanks
Old 11-23-2014, 04:34 PM
checksix nc

what specifically has to be done to the arf to get the sierras installed ? are they the up front trunion kind ? Or does more in depth work need to be done thanks

thanks nc, seems to be working now

Last edited by checksix nc; 11-23-2014 at 04:35 PM. Reason: help
Old 11-23-2014, 04:59 PM
AV8ATOR
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by checksix nc
what specifically has to be done to the arf to get the sierras installed ? are they the up front trunion kind ? Or does more in depth work need to be done thanks

thanks nc, seems to be working now
checksix go to page 12 of this thread and you will find pictures on how (Ramstien44) did his.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:06 PM
mirored

Originally Posted by AV8ATOR
checksix go to page 12 of this thread and you will find pictures on how (Ramstien44) did his.
Check post 3258 for pictures on how I did the one for Brad as well.

Last edited by mirored; 11-23-2014 at 05:09 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.