Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Giant Scale Spitfire ARF

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flite Giant Scale Spitfire ARF

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 10:37 AM
kochj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Giant Scale Spitfire ARF

ORIGINAL: Phantom pty

Nice to See TOP FLITE come out with this Bird finally !!! As Top Fligh is know for their high quality. Just a bit disappointed on the Model it would have been nice one of the newer models like the MK XIV

Wondering if this would be as nice as the ESM 50 CC Scale Spitfire..
To be very honest, I do not know why Top Flite isn't more aggressive about there releases..
Why not post on some of the forums asking what others would they would like to see as in way of color scheme or what versions others have yet to see and would look good?

Do some market research, and then make the model accordingly!!!
I really wish I had much money, and I would start up my own business and do these things..
How can you NOT DO THESE THINGS in the competitive dog eat dog world of today?

That's all I have to say.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:59 AM
DUCATIKID

Nice to See TOP FLITE come out with this Bird finally !!! As Top Fligh is know for their high quality. Just a bit disappointed on the Model it would have been nice one of the newer models like the MK XIV

Whilst it won't have the airbrushed finish of the ESM version, you can garentee that everything will fit, the hardware will be usable, it will be built straight, the incidence of the wings and tailplane will be right, and the instructions will be usefull!
The Top Flite version looks very appealing to me, and it would be a great base to improve apon, like remove the covering and glass it.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:07 PM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DUCATIKID

Whilst it won't have the airbrushed finish of the ESM version, you can garentee that everything will fit, the hardware will be usable, it will be built straight, the incidence of the wings and tailplane will be right, and the instructions will be usefull! [img][/img]
The Top Flite version looks very appealing to me, and it would be a great base to improve apon, like remove the covering and glass it.

I agree!!
Old 05-25-2013, 04:26 PM
SWORDSN

It was flown and displayed at Joe Nall. Looks good and flies well. It will available at the end of May.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:30 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Waiting for TF to release a GS ZERO ARF!
Old 05-25-2013, 07:53 PM
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want one of these and actually had one pre-ordered at tower but I canceled it a few weeks ago. I purchased a Aero Detail book for reference as well. I guess' I'm afraid to step out of my comfort zone and build an allied aircraft... or fearful of the repercussions..lol I think converting it to a low altitude version with the clipped wings would be cool... Maybe someone will beat me to it so I don't have so many questions. Time will tell
Old 06-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Capt G
My Feedback: (8)

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

It's here! No damage detected. The usual TF double box. Packing up for Prado now so the unboxing will have to wait till next week. (sorry for the blur)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69437.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	1889363  
Old 06-06-2013, 04:59 PM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

ORIGINAL: Capt G

It's here! No damage detected. The usual TF double box. Packing up for Prado now so the unboxing will have to wait till next week. (sorry for the blur)
How about a build thread Capt?

S
Old 06-10-2013, 02:44 PM
Capt G

Ok - a build thread it is. I wont be going step by step - you can read the manual for that - but I will point out any mods I make and noteworthy items. Got the plane unboxed today and there is absolutely no damage! I have received plenty of other kits that couldn,t make that claim. While I am waiting for the covering (which was flawless) to wrinkle in the NV desert I will look the rest of it over. The first thing I noticed was the 2 steel plates screwed to the sides of the firewall. That should help with the CG. The construction looks an awful lot like my TF GS P-40. Same colors too.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:47 PM
kahloq

Curious how much total weight will be required to balance.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:04 PM
DUCATIKID

Will be following this with great interest!, in the middle of assembling a TF P-40 giant scale at the moment, if the Spitfire is similar (which it no doubt will be) you are in for a smooth, easy build.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:54 PM
ronht
My Feedback: (3)

My Spitfire is expected to arrive sometime this week, I'll be looking forward to sharing any information as well
Old 06-11-2013, 07:13 AM
SWORDSN

ORIGINAL: Ramstein44

I want one of these and actually had one pre-ordered at tower but I canceled it a few weeks ago. I purchased a Aero Detail book for reference as well. I guess' I'm afraid to step out of my comfort zone and build an allied aircraft... or fearful of the repercussions..lol I think converting it to a low altitude version with the clipped wings would be cool... Maybe someone will beat me to it so I don't have so many questions. Time will tell
You would be the one!!
Old 06-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Ramstein44

Forgive me for being a little confused about your statement??
Old 06-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Capt G

The smooth covering after 30 mins in the NV sun. Fortunately, a couple hours with a soft cloth, iron and heat gun and all is smooth again. Got the control horns painted. The two flap horns I modified by cutting off the inside bottom to get more flap deflection.

Name:	Vs55422.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1890953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59097.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	1890954  
Old 06-11-2013, 12:21 PM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

ORIGINAL: Capt G

Ok - a build thread it is. I wont be going step by step - you can read the manual for that - but I will point out any mods I make and noteworthy items. Got the plane unboxed today and there is absolutely no damage! I have received plenty of other kits that couldn,t make that claim. While I am waiting for the covering (which was flawless) to wrinkle in the NV desert I will look the rest of it over. The first thing I noticed was the 2 steel plates screwed to the sides of the firewall. That should help with the CG. The construction looks an awful lot like my TF GS P-40. Same colors too.
Sweet!!!

S
Old 06-11-2013, 02:05 PM
ronht

Capt G, what engine are you planning to run in yours?

I have access to either a DLE 55 side exhaust or a DLE 55 rear exhaust, do you know if the side exhaust engine with a JTec wrap around muffler will require any cowl modifications? I'd like to keep cutting up the cowl to a min, however, I do have some reservations in regards to cooling issues with the cowl as it currently is.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Capt G

All nice and smooth again. Partially assembled for a fit check and all looks good. Since the irons are still hot I used the opportunity to seal the aileron and elevator hinge line gaps. Love the pre-hinging! Planning to use a well broken in DLE 55. Should fit with the J - tech P-51 muffler but those are on back order. We will find out when they are available again..

Name:	Ki18093.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1890975   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38857.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1890976  
Old 06-11-2013, 11:04 PM
DUCATIKID

I have to dissagree about the pre hinging, i would rather glue the hinges myself, especially if i intend on making any changes to the covering (be it glassing or just painting)
The hinges on my P-40 are very stiff and i have not been able to free them up to my satisfaction.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:06 AM
Ramstein44

+1.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:07 AM
jonesjj3
My Feedback: (16)

Picked up my Spit at the LHS yesterday, got it all un boxed and will start going through every thing in next day or so, I usually go over the whole ship with iron as I assemble things, check control surface movement (make any adjustments) if necessary and (thin CA) any areas in fuse and wings I can just for a little added strength.

Power will be the DLE 55RA, with some posts on the stock exhaust breaking with this eng I will have it welded at local welding shop if the fit is good, if not will get the J-Tec one for it. Prop will be Xoar 22X10 Laminated, I am hoping the spinner will accept this prop with out any additional material removal to the spinner, (I hate doing that).

I have the Robart (air) retracts that will be going in it.

Guidance will be the trusty Fut 18MZ, servos I will have to see what I have in the shop, I do not believe there is any posts anywhere that anyone has this ship completed and flying yet so I will go with the recommended CG to start and once I get it in the air I will know better if that has to be moved one way or the other, I like to roll it inverted after it is all trimmed out and see if the nose drops slightly (that is the way I like it) typically I like my warbirds to be a little on the nose heavy side for stability as I fly them like warbirds and not an aerobatic ship, (have other ships for that).

Well time to head to the shop and make some room to start on the Spit assembly. Will post any issues, mods I find I have to do.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:02 AM
SWORDSN

ORIGINAL: Ramstein44

Forgive me for being a little confused about your statement??
It was a compliment after viewing your FW190 build.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:11 AM
Capt G

Everything lines up and the wing fits perfectly!

Name:	Ay75317.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	1891603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48384.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1891604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr39665.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1891605  
Old 06-14-2013, 08:55 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

That has been my experience with Top Flite ARF's. Thanks for sharing your build!
Old 06-14-2013, 10:01 AM
Chris Nicastro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

For what its worth, I have the DLE 55RA in a TF GS Corsair with 12 flights so far. I installed the stock muffler with only one washer and one split washer per bolt. I used red threadlock on the head threads then assembled the muffler to the head. All the parts were degreased prior to assembly.
So far so good I see no sign of wear or breakage anywhere on the muffler and the bolts are still nice and tight. Ive read about issues with this muffler and have yet to see any.
If you follow what I did and let it cure for a couple of days before the engine is fired up maybe you will see the same results.

I hope we get to see some Spits chasing some FW's soon!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.