Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 10:26 AM
kevarc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by heirmeistr
Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
What engine are you using on your Corsair?
I am using the saito Fg90-r3. It only has about 5 tanks through it. Runs strong, Not sure why it quit but I was throttled back at the time and should not have been with this plane.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:30 AM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kevin,
Sorry to hear about the stall.
I was lucky when I first flew my corsair that I had other giant scale pilots reminding me that this is a Warbird and must be flown like one.
Airspeed, airspeed AIRSPEED at ALL times. This taught me to always land high & hot. I drop my gear on the gear pass, drop my flaps to full as I'm turning from base to final while dropping 50 feet towards the runway.(Airspeed) the Corsair bleeds off the speed as the wheels touch.
If I'm dead stick, then I leave the gear up and belly it. I've bent too many sets of gear trying to set it on the wheels when there's not enough AirSpeed.
Luckily its an ARF and you can just throw more parts at it! (just kidding)
How did you FG90-R3 hold up?

I'm still trying to get your FG60-R3 to run smoothly!
Scott

Originally Posted by kevarc
I was able to get mine up for the second time. Used all of the runway width and length on take off.
Made 7 or 8 passes. really like the way she flys!
Dropped the flaps and gear and lined up to land.
Came in a little low throttled up and the engine quit!
Fell out of the sky from about 5 feet and 30 yards short of the runway.
Tore the gear out, one of them is bent up pretty good, but the other is fine.
The center section is pretty much toast, the gear busted through the top.
The mounts broke out of the cowl.
The wing panels have no damage except a broken hinge on a flap.
Fuselage is fine with no apparent damage. not even scratches on the bottom and the tail gear doors are not damaged, and neither was the prop.
All in all pretty fortunate, but still costly.
I have some gear parts, center section, cowl, and set of gear doors are on order.
I had three other planes with me and no issues with any of them. Whew!
Kevin
Old 06-02-2017, 06:48 AM
youngguy
My Feedback: (7)

Originally Posted by Fly2XS
Kevin,
I was lucky when I first flew my corsair that I had other giant scale pilots reminding me that this is a Warbird and must be flown like one.
Airspeed, airspeed AIRSPEED at ALL times. This taught me to always land high & hot. I drop my gear on the gear pass, drop my flaps to full as I'm turning from base to final while dropping 50 feet towards the runway.(Airspeed) the Corsair bleeds off the speed as the wheels touch.
If I'm dead stick, then I leave the gear up and belly it. I've bent too many sets of gear trying to set it on the wheels when there's not enough AirSpeed.

Scott
Your expreince is quite different from mine. I find the Corsair a real ***** cat on landing and have made slow landings dragging it on touch down with the nose up and a bit of power. Wondering where you have your CG. Miner is on the rear most recommendation.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:46 AM
kevarc

Kevin,

Scott
Hey Scott,
I was definitely slower than I should have been on the landing but it did not stall as much as just drop when the engine quit.
It came down on the gear, thankful it stayed level and did not hit a tip first.
Did not even get any dirt in the cowl.
The engine was running fine throughout the flight.
I have not run it since but it does turnover fine so I do not think anything in the engine broke.
I will spend a bit more time on the ground tuning and testing before I fly again.
I had a guy getting video of the flight, when I get it I will post it. I think he is editing out some language issues.
When I review the Video it may show I have it all wrong.
Kevin
Old 06-02-2017, 05:58 PM
Fly2XS

Default Airspeed!

Originally Posted by youngguy
Your expreince is quite different from mine. I find the Corsair a real ***** cat on landing and have made slow landings dragging it on touch down with the nose up and a bit of power. Wondering where you have your CG. Miner is on the rear most recommendation.
Dont get me wrong, my Hog could slow up for 3 pointers, in fact I've flown it backwards in a strong wind. It's just that I've learned not to rely on the engine so if it quits I still have the kinetic energy to safely land.

Kevin, did you run the FG60 when you had it?
Old 06-03-2017, 02:28 AM
kevarc

Dont get me wrong, my Hog could slow up for 3 pointers, in fact I've flown it backwards in a strong wind. It's just that I've learned not to rely on the engine so if it quits I still have the kinetic energy to safely land.

Scott,
Yes I ran two break-in tanks through it.
I never tried to tune it.
Kevin
Old 06-03-2017, 06:20 AM
youngguy
My Feedback: (7)

Makes sense. I've never been concerned about the engine on mine and had I been, I'd likely follow your method or change the engine.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:44 PM
heirmeistr

Default Saito FG90r3 - is it a reliable engine?

Has anyone had good luck with the Saito FG90r3? When I ask about it with more experienced pilots than myself, I don't get the best feed back. One pilot tells me that a pilot he knows brought a spare with him to Top Gun - and needed it!!
Last week a gentleman was maidening his Corsair and another experienced pilot made the comment that "well that engine might last 5 flights before needing repair!" And now Kevin mentioned he had his quit on him after 5 tanks.
So I was just wondering - has anyone had good luck with the Saito FG90r3?
Old 06-03-2017, 10:34 PM
ptdan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Harry
I have the FG 90 in my H9 Corsair, no problems at all.. 10 flights so far, runs great I use about 5% oil in the fuel, and fat mixture setting...
Regards Dan
Old 06-05-2017, 01:35 PM
heirmeistr

Dan - That's good to hear. Wish it was over 50 flights but that is the best success story I have heard so far. What brand of oil are you using? Is a fat mixture the same as a rich mixture?
Old 06-21-2017, 08:17 PM
dieselnz

hi guys have been flicking thru this forum as for the past 8 months i have been putting the h9 corsair together,i waited for the saito fg90 to come out due to the issues with the 84 so far have put 4 litres of fuel thru running it in using klotz oil at 20:1 as reccomeded and with keleo ring.
have still abit to do prior to maiden flight but would love some pointers as to the flight characteristics,ie how much flap on take off,with flaps for landing do you have a elevator mix dialed in if it tends to pitch with the flaps,any info be appreciated this has been one expensive bird,im flying a hangar 9 beast 100cc and that thing is on like rails floats in for landings etc.
years ago i had a byron original corsair that flew not to bad had to land fast as i remember but it was alot lighter plane than the h9,like i said any info be appreciated,thanks
Old 06-26-2017, 05:07 AM
Fly2XS

Hello Dieselnz,
I've had the Byrons Corsair and the H9 Corsair.
I had over 50 flights on my Byrons and I was it's 4th owner. It was 23# on a tired Q52 and I could land it anywhere.
Full flaps were 50-60 degrees and I dropped them on a 2 second extension as I turned final while keeping the nose down and only leveling off to touch the wheels to the runway.
If you're building the H9 much heavier, (many run between 28# to 35#) then you need to keep the speed up.If you are flying the heavier bird, then 10 degrees of take-off flaps are normal.

Scott
Old 06-26-2017, 10:15 AM
dieselnz

cheers for the info,its been many years since i had the byron corsair,have no idea of weight on the h9 corsair as yet will all depend if i need to add ballast with c.o.g,im not too concerned on takeoff,my main query is how the plane handles when in flight and the flaps get deployed,i have had some planes that need quite alot of elevator to compensate and others that need nothing,i will have the flaps on a 3 stage switch,first 2 positions will be for flight then the last position will be full down for display as dont they look great fully down and split apart.....cheers for the info,im not normally this concerned for a maiden,even the h9 beast i had no issues gettn it up asap but knew it would fly well,,,this corsair not going to have the same confidence,,,,,thanks
Old 06-27-2017, 08:31 AM
ptdan

Originally Posted by heirmeistr
Dan - That's good to hear. Wish it was over 50 flights but that is the best success story I have heard so far. What brand of oil are you using? Is a fat mixture the same as a rich mixture?
Not quit 50 yet, but got 20 flights now.. No problems at all, run great.. Im using Castrol Power 1 racing oil, and fat/rich mixture
Old 06-29-2017, 01:44 PM
heirmeistr

Originally Posted by ptdan
Not quit 50 yet, but got 20 flights now.. No problems at all, run great.. Im using Castrol Power 1 racing oil, and fat/rich mixture
Awesome news. Thanks
Old 08-16-2017, 05:52 PM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anyone have any videos, pics, or additional flight reports with the eme 70?
Old 08-16-2017, 07:31 PM
flyingchef
My Feedback: (93)

Flew my H9 Corsair with the EME70 to its 132nd flight, the center wing section failed on the 133rd resulting on a total and absolute destruction.
The EME70 performed great, never had any issues. Finishing a Byron Corsair now and selected the EME70 again for power.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00574.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2228222   Click image for larger version

Name:	WOD2016 (18).jpg
Views:	301
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	2228223   Click image for larger version

Name:	WOD2016 (13).jpg
Views:	350
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	2228224   Click image for larger version

Name:	TheEnd-05-24-17.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	3.11 MB
ID:	2228225   Click image for larger version

Name:	05-24-17.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	2228226  
Old 08-16-2017, 08:16 PM
dieselnz

hi flyingchef,so gutted to see the demise of the corsair,you say that the centre wing failed,i have heard of a couple incidents of this happening{one on its maiden flight} and have been thinking of a way of adding more support to fixing it to the fuselage as there is alot of weight in that centre wing section which is my guess the reason of it failing can just imagine that in the likes of performing a loop there would be alot of force trying to pull that centre wing away from the fuselage.
any one feel free to jump in with ideas of adding more support between the centre wing to fuse,alot of people who have seen my corsair have commentated on the weight of the centre wing,this has been the most expensive plane i have ever put together i stopped adding it up when it exceeded $10,000 so any ideas be appreciated,rekon im about 2-3 months away from a nervous maiden flight,i fly a hangar 9 beast 100cc and was not nervous putting that up for its maiden,it flies like its on rails but know the corsair will be nothing like it.
one thing i really would like to know when setting up to land and flaps are deployed does it require a mix for elevator as well,some models i have flown need elevator mixed in with flap and others have not needed any,my byron corsair was too long ago to remember if i had any elevator mixed in or not,cheers.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:44 PM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That is devastating. Sorry for your loss. Do you think the wing dowels failed or was it something else? I have an earlier production corsair and not sure if they ever modified anything on the newer center sections. Were you able to find any clues as to what happened? Were you maneuvering aggressively? I am definitely interested in anything else you have to say.

Last edited by spitfire66; 11-29-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:40 PM
ShrpShootr11

Default Maiden has been completed!

Hey guys! I know I posted a while ago, but just got to the maiden flight on my Corsair on Monday. I am quite happy with how it flew! Took absolutely no trim and flew straight and level hands off. I have the FG-84R3 in it and it is bone stock. It actually runs really well and I have not had any of the mid-range issues that others have reported. The temps are close, but #1 cylinder was just a little warmer. I will try and get exact temps with my next flights. I have the Robart air retracts installed, Hitec servos, dual 12oz fuel tanks to make it all fit with the FG-84. Need to do some finish work just to get gear doors and such finished, but it is almost there. Also switched to Futaba here before the maiden so it took a little longer to get everything setup again. But I am very glad I switched! Cant wait to fly it again!

Adam
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20171204_174714400_iOS.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	2247094   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171204_184206400_iOS.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	2247095   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171204_185058300_iOS.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	3.70 MB
ID:	2247096   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171204_185132100_iOS.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	2247097   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171204_185256300_iOS.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	2247098  
Old 12-07-2017, 05:28 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Nice job
Old 01-29-2018, 11:18 AM
heirmeistr

I just ordered the Saito FG90r3 for my Corsair. For those using the same engine, I was wondering what prop you used for break-in and what prop you are using for every day flying? Thanks
Old 01-29-2018, 11:35 AM
Marguet28

I have a 90 and used à 24/12 for break in. 6000 on the bench after 5 liters. Run fine. Don't forget to add oil before the first start into the nipple.
for the flight still wondering which sizes....
Old 01-31-2018, 10:14 AM
heirmeistr

Originally Posted by Marguet28
Don't forget to add oil before the first start into the nipple.
I am not sure what you are referring to. Will the nipple be obvious when I receive the engine?
Old 01-31-2018, 10:34 AM
Marguet28

Just add oil into the engine before the first start by the nipple.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.