Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF 1/5 Scale P-51 ARF Assembly (1ST MISHAP!!!)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF 1/5 Scale P-51 ARF Assembly (1ST MISHAP!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 08:08 PM
serge760

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TF 1/5 Scale P-51 ARF Assembly (1ST MISHAP!!!)

the plane weight 21lb,i was flying it at half throtlle
Old 12-24-2007, 08:18 PM
crashproof

Thats great Serge mine may end up allittle heavier although that remains to be seen I guess, but from the looks of it performance should be great. Thanks again, Kevin.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:12 PM
Pilot P51
My Feedback: (6)

Fabio
I used a hobby knife and scissors to do the trim work on the canopy. I have the cockpit glued in place as well as the flooring but I used the Aerotech cockpit. It is a different set up then the T/F. Take your time cutting it out. Your cockpit looks good. I have a picture of mine in my gallery take a look. I can send you more pictures of it later when I return home after the holidays.

Walt
Old 12-25-2007, 12:55 AM
overnout
My Feedback: (1)

Any one using CA style hinges versus the hinge points for the ailerons and flaps? I'm getting ready to start and I'm really lazy! Just wondering why they went with CA hinges on the elev and rudder but hinge points on the ailerons and flaps.

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2007, 05:28 PM
gary9648

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have only one thing to say....SWEET!
Old 12-26-2007, 10:27 PM
nchrome

Just remember that flutter will bring her down quickly. And at least with pin hinges you got a couple second to throttle down and save the plane. With CA hinges its a prayer and a song. And that song you wont like. Take the time and use the pin hinges. Or you will be singing the blues
Old 12-27-2007, 11:35 AM
serge760

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMpQQeGBQ20
here is the p51 on a flyby with gunshots
Old 12-27-2007, 02:18 PM
gary9648

DO NOT USE CA HINGES IN THIS BIRD!!!!!!!! They WILL FAIL!!!!. Use either pinned Dubro large hinges or Robart point hinges as in the flaps and ailerons. I perfer the Dubro pinned hinges on the elevators, and rudder because of the lack of back up wood in the structures in the trailing egdes and leading edges of the control surfaces. I have seen the CA hinge fail in all of the Mustangs that had them installed. The first to go are the ones behind the control horns then work their way out. Do not do it!!!!
Gary
Old 12-27-2007, 03:02 PM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

CA hinges, properly installed are as good as any you might use. Your preference is just that....your preference. I've used CA hinges in up to 35% aircraft and so have many others with great success.

ORIGINAL: gary9648

DO NOT USE CA HINGES IN THIS BIRD!!!!!!!! They WILL FAIL!!!!. Use either pinned Dubro large hinges or Robart point hinges as in the flaps and ailerons. I perfer the Dubro pinned hinges on the elevators, and rudder because of the lack of back up wood in the structures in the trailing egdes and leading edges of the control surfaces. I have seen the CA hinge fail in all of the Mustangs that had them installed. The first to go are the ones behind the control horns then work their way out. Do not do it!!!!
Gary
Old 12-27-2007, 05:27 PM
luckyy
My Feedback: (2)

I use ca hinges on my boomerang jet so far so good 130 flights.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:34 PM
luckyy

Aghost can I see a picture of your G62 install on your P51 top flight? I am getting ready to install my g62 and would like to use the slimline muffler but will it fit??
Old 12-27-2007, 11:20 PM
gary9648

Well fancyman so have I, but the supplied CA hinge material supplied in the TFGS kit will fail. How many of these have you had experienced with? I have seen them fail in four or five of them. After replacing with pinned hinges none have failed. I to have used them on aerobatic planes encluding my old One Design that lasted nine years with no proplems. The problem is with the supplied material. Also why do they supply point hinges for the ailerons and flaps and not the elevators and rudder?
My goal is to keep someone else from losing there new model, and allowing it to live to a ripe old age.
Gary
Old 12-27-2007, 11:26 PM
fancman

I've been in the hobby for more than 20 yrs and have used CA hinges over the past 8 or so. I'll agree that I wouldn't use just any CA hinge but never would I tell anyone not to use them at all. It's a lie to say that and I'm not that smart to judge everyone's hinge material. I will say that if you properly install them and keep an eye on them you most likely won't have any problems that you can't detect before you have any kind of failure. Knowledge is power. Learn what there is to know about the equipment you use and most problems will be eliminated......along with bad advice and myth's. I've see what was supposed to pass for proper hinge installation with CA hinges at my field and in all cases it was a matter of poor installation that was the problem and not the hinge material itself.

ORIGINAL: gary9648

Well fancyman so have I, but the supplied CA hinge material supplied in the TFGS kit will fail. How many of these have you had experienced with? I have seen them fail in four or five of them. After replacing with pinned hinges none have failed. I to have used them on aerobatic planes encluding my old One Design that lasted nine years with no proplems. The problem is with the supplied material. Also why do they supply point hinges for the ailerons and flaps and not the elevators and rudder?
My goal is to keep someone else from losing there new model, and allowing it to live to a ripe old age.
Gary
Old 12-28-2007, 09:10 AM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

luckyy: See post #1284 (page 52) of this thread for three pictures of my G-62 install. I don't have any pictures with the cowl off (should have taken some the other day). You can probably get a good idea of the distances by counting the black/white squares on the cowl. Let me know if you are looking for any area in particular.

Brian
Old 12-28-2007, 10:41 AM
FBaity

I used CA hinges on the elevator and rudder, however ,I used Radio South hinge material (the blue stuff). Additionaly I sealed the elevator,rudder hinge gap with covering material also and properlly installed the hinges. I used the Robart style hinges the ailerons and flaps.

I have maybe 25 flights on the TF GS P-51 with some very high speed dives. My P-51 isn't as fast as some (Moki 210 engine,24 lbs) but it will crank out 90 MPH in level flight on the radar gun.

Frank Baity
AMA 38026
GSWA # 419
Old 12-28-2007, 11:51 AM
crashproof

Hello all hope your Holidays are going well. I have a question about the stock tank location. I am going with a DA 50 and was wondering about the stock tank being in the nose. When I do the balancing if it is slightly nose down which is the way I usually do them it will then become very nose heavy when full of fuel and during the first part of the flight and may change its trim as the fuel burns off. Am I correct about this is this what happens ? What have you guys done with your tanks ? Do you have to fight the trim during flight ?. I really do not want to have to do that. Thanks for any ideas, Kevin.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:25 PM
Doomking
My Feedback: (38)

One flying question...
Do you use the flaps in the two different down settings, or just set up the switch for full down ?
Maybe you need to use half flap for short take off , or to slow down before applying full flaps?
Just wondering if I have to change my JR8103DT Heli version to an airplane transmitter so that I can set up the flaps properly. Right now I only have the switch that actuate full down only.
I would like to hear your comments on this ...Thanks ...Fabio
Old 12-28-2007, 04:29 PM
Doomking
My Feedback: (38)

HI Gary
I ordered the Dubro Large hinges that you recommended.
They come with a cotter pin to assemble both half.
Do you assemble them before installing them with CA or after, so that you dont get the pin contaminated with glue ?
And also...do you just bend the end of the cotter pin right over the pin itself to lock it in place ?
Sorry to ask , but I never used this kind with pins that need to be assembled.
Thanks ...Fabio
Old 12-28-2007, 05:58 PM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Fabio,
You can probably make the one setting switch work OK. I think I would set it for half flaps with some down elevator mixed in at first. Get the plane up high, slow down, and hit the flaps. If the plane acts OK, you are in business. If not, pull the flaps up and land without them. Adjust them as you see fit for the next flight.

I use a variable knob on my flaps. I don't use flaps on takeoff. The plane can still get off in a 150' or so if you want it to. I do use partial flaps to slow down before going to full flaps. However you can use the throttle to slow down enough to drop full flaps. I have about 4% down elevator mixed in with the flaps to keep the nose from pitching up too much.

Brian
Old 12-28-2007, 06:59 PM
gary9648

Fabio, You must use either Zap hinge glue or 30 min. epoxy to install the Dubro hinges. I first fit the hinges and groove out slots in both the trailing edge and leading edge so that the hinge joint fits into the grooves. This way you will get a near gapless hinge line. I put the pins in and spread the two ends out slightly to keep them from comming out before installing them. I put a drop of oil on the hinge joint so glue can not stick. Then I apply glue to the hinge slots in both the trailing edge and leading edge of the control surface using a thin blade to push the glue deep into the slot. clean off any glue on surface with paper towel and alcohol. Then apply thin film of glue to hinge tabs just enought to fill the little holes. Then slide hinges in place and attach control surface to trailing edge. I glue in both sides at the same time. This helps insure proper alignment. I make sure there is no glue in hinge joints and move control surface to make sure there is no binding. I then both tape and clamp control surface in place useing masking tape and 1 1/2" X 4" X 1/8" balsa planks to make sure the control surface is aligned both horizontaly and vertically to the trailing edge. Wait about 40 min and undue clamps and tape and move control surface to brake loose any glue in the hinge joint area. then reclamp and let set over night. DO NOT USE CA Glue to install this type of hinge. CA wil not stick to it very well.
When finished, if using monokote finish, cut strips aprox. 1" wide by length of the control surface of coresponding color. Crease it down the middle and then apply to the bottom of the hinge line to seal the control surface.
Gary
Old 12-28-2007, 09:28 PM
Pilot P51
My Feedback: (6)

Fabio
I had the same problem using the 8103. I hated that flap knob. That is one reason why JR stopped making that radio and built the 9303 which is what I am using now.
Anyway you can mix in another switch for parcel flaps. Then you can set up the full flaps in the landing mode. This is how I used mine. For mixing in some elevator with the flaps, some of these planes do not require any elevator when going to flaps, a lot has to do with the CG. On my plane when going to flaps it has no tendency to nose up.
I use two setting, not quite 1/2 on the base leg with gear down then on final go to full. The plane will really slow down so be sure you have some power on or you will stall this big plane.

I hope this helps and good luck.
Walt
Old 12-29-2007, 02:56 PM
kochj

Snowing like crazzy here in Minnesota....
Still have yet to test this plane yet.....
I keep adding some scale details.
I will post some picts when I get my computer up and running.....

Couple things....
If you are worried about your wing stregth, poke a few small holes and drip some thing CA in it...on key wing points....
If you want the best fitting, Not cowl grinding set up, get the REV 50.... This fits the best, as the DA 50 requires some grinding to get,evne the Kelo exhaust.... and Yes, this exhuast is load....
If you have any flaws on your plane, call up hobby services and thye will help you out..... Do not sit and be upset about something on this plane and do nothing about it..... If you have issues with it let them know....
I for one have found this to be a great plane and have had no issues.....

If I wanted the best sounding engine, with no cut outs.... I would have picked up the RCS 50VT Gas 4-stroke..... Talk about music to you ears......
Only issue is price..... 1,100.......[]
Old 12-30-2007, 10:45 AM
crashproof

Here's mine, still plugging along at it. Hope to have it ready to maiden by late March. Wings are painted as well and drying could not put them in the photo. Covered with .75 FG using Polycrylic. I struggled with the tail section abit cause it is my first try at this but other than that it has went well. Paint is Aluminum enamel bought from HD. Will be using a DA 50 for power. Hope it does'nt look to bad its my first try at FG and painting. Have a good day folks. Kevin.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71810.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	837278  
Old 12-30-2007, 12:12 PM
K.O.

Looks good so far. Good choice of engine.
K.O.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:04 PM
gary9648

I forgot to add, on FG and painted models I use clear tape on bottom of control surfaces to seal the hinge line.
Gary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.